HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Try 27 million in the first calendar year.
Isn't it nice how deep pocketed teams find ways around the salary cap to get the big players they want?

Old
phillyfanatic

So the Flyers are the bad guys here? Why? Didn't Nashville take Weber to salary arbitration last year and HE WON! Didn't they just lose Suter as a UFA to Minnesota. Strike 2. Apparently they were shopping Weber and asked Philly for Couturier, Schenn + according to Darren Dreger. Philly wouldn't do that deal, Nashville isn't signing him, so why not offer sheet him? At the very least, it keeps him out of New York and Pittsburgh, and I am sure those are the fans most upset.

All Philly did is say, OK, Put up or shut up. So Nashville, will you do what you said and match any offer? If not, Flyers are willing to give you four first round draft picks instead of the crazy compensation you demanded. Sorry, but sounds fair to me.

Old
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
I give up
A few threads ago, you yourself were lost on the details of the agreement and had several people sorting you out.

Old
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
You can look at the 26 million in two different ways. Yeah he gets it within a 365 day period, but if I'm keeping Webber around for the year, your damn right I'm keeping him for the 2nd year for only 2 million more. 28 million for two years is alot better than 26 for one. I really think Nashville will make this work for the first 4, 14 million years.
The signing bonus is there for four years. He would get another 14. It's 40 in the first 2 I think.

Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'd be pissed off too if another rival pulled off this move. Pissed off, but I'd still aknowledge it as a brilliant move
Would have been brilliant apart from the timing (CBA negotiations). What if this convinces the Preds to sign the deal, split from Bettman's company line and get together with the Wangs, Yormark's and Fehrs to push hard for revenue sharing?

Old
07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
You can look at the 26 million in two different ways. Yeah he gets it within a 365 day period, but if I'm keeping Webber around for the year, your damn right I'm keeping him for the 2nd year for only 2 million more. 28 million for two years is alot better than 26 for one. I really think Nashville will make this work for the first 4, 14 million years.
he gets 68 million just in bonuses in the first 6 years......

Old
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
LOL @ Weber.....sure dude, money was a non-factor, but lovely Philly is now a "destination"? No offense Philly fans....

Come on Weber, be a man and own up to the fact that you chased the big $$ contract.
regardless of were Weber plays, he's going to get paid big money. so how is money a factor in his decision?

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Bravo Philly, I guess that's all I can really say right now. I really can't criticize the move. They knew they weren't the top package so they decide to force themselves the top package.

Old
Ishad

Quote:
It's brilliant either way. We just stopped every eastern conference team from acquiring Weber (unless he's traded in the future)

if we cant have him, no one can

As a wings fan, I'll be pretty jelly if the preds don't match.

Old
DUHockey9

Everyone needs to google what happened with Chris Gratton and the Flyers to understand this trade talk.

The Preds would essentially be trading the 4 1sts (or however many is agreed to) back to Philly for the player package that was agreed to.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerockarola View Post
He also could've stated that while he signed for money he also had a much better chance of winning it all by signing there
Yeah for sure. He easily could've just brushed that off as a "going for the world series" move for him, but he said the money definitely helped make that decision for him. I respect that. At least he is honest.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
@apgelston

weber agent jarret bousquet, hope np doesn't match: "i don't think you would sign an offer sheet unless you were hoping to go to that team."
https://twitter.com/APgelston/status/226019312618586112

Old
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
If Nashville really did make offers to Suter and Parise I can't see how they don't have the money to match.
They would probably structure the deals with the money spread out instead of front loaded.

12/13: 9M each for Weber, Suter and Parise = 27M + you're already at the cap floor

12/13: 27M for Weber + Additional salaries to get to the cap floor = ~44M

The current scenario requires them to come up with an additional 17M for this season.

Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
A few threads ago, you yourself were lost on the details of the agreement and had several people sorting you out.
Yesterday he was boldly, arrogantly proclaiming that Nashville absolutely must match a no-trade clause. Which was, of course, completely and utterly wrong.

Old
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It's brilliant if he doesn't get matched by Nashville. This could backfire badly.

Right now - ballsy brilliant move. We have to see how it plays out, though.
How could this backfire for the Flyers? If Nashville matches then Philly loses nothing and is in the same position they were in yesterday before the news broke.

Old
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
LOL @ Weber.....sure dude, money was a non-factor, but lovely Philly is now a "destination"? No offense Philly fans....

Come on Weber, be a man and own up to the fact that you chased the big $$ contract.
Do you think Weber is going to live in the city? Some players get nice places in the better areas of Philly, but most live in the surrounding suburbs which are some of the best in the country with top notch schools etc. Besides that, I believe he was talking about the team itself, not Philadelphia.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
It's brilliant either way. We just stopped every eastern conference team from acquiring Weber (unless he's traded in the future)

if we cant have him, no one can

Very parochial view of this. I'll give you credit for the first part, but you are not looking at the big picture.

Let's say Nashville matches and Shea wants out after year #1. Why in the world would Nashville look to Philly as a trade partner? How easy would it be for Shero to go up to his old pals in Nashville and discuss matters regarding replenishing their defense and also sticking it to Philly w/o saying exactly that?

Now this is just a "what-if" statement. So take it for what it's worth. But there is a prodigious way this could fire back at Philly.

HOWEVER - right now.. the Flyers are all-in and telling the other teams who the boss is in the East. The rest of the table just took a step back in shock and have to see how this plays out.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:07 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
regardless of were Weber plays, he's going to get paid big money. so how is money a factor in his decision?
Maybe the Flyers were the only ones to offer the ridiculous length and the signing bonuses?

Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
Poile just has to pressure Holmgren to think he will match and up his previous offers. If he was asking for Schenn and Couts before, have to imagine he's adding another + or ++ to that. Doesn't make sense to give the price any cheaper, as Weber has shown he is interested in Philly. Why not make them really pay.
I think at this point, its obvious that nashville is not in a position of strength. Maybe holmgren softens the blow and offers couturier, mez and 2 firsts. ( takeing mez from us is actually helping us) But then again maybe the preds are thinking that 4 firsts is a better deal.

Old
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Oh wow.... I didn't expect that.

Gives Poille another avenue out of this by just making a statement about not wanting a player that doesn't want to play for the organization.

Old
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:

Huh? Philly has always been a destination... Some of the best facilities in the entire league, the organization treats the majority of their players like royalty, absolute security, a passionate fanbase that will never go anywhere and constantly sell out the stadium, and fantastic history and team culture. I don't understand what you're saying.

Also, you're telling me Weber couldn't have gotten more than this? I have a hard time believing that.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Why would the new cba impact cap hits for contracts governed by the old cba?
Because the new CBA applies to all contracts and supersedes the old CBA.

Anything different has to be specifically negotiated.

Old
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:

A) I don't think he ever said money wasn't a factor.

B) On what planet are the Flyers not a highly sought after destination for Free Agents?

Old
ryerockarola

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
The Flyers litterally bullies the Predators into a dead-end corner:

If they match then 26M in the first year which means it'd be pointless to trade him after 1 year.

If they don't match, then it's a deadly blow to the team and the organization.

Imagine how Burke would react if he was in Poile's shoes. I wonder how many enemies Holmgren made by breaking this unwritten rule. What a dick move!
Have harsh words for him in the media? Accept a fight if Holmgren challenged him to one? Challenge Holmgren to a fight?

Old
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
My understanding is that he is only untradable if Nashvile matches. Where does it say they cannot trade his RFA rights to a team who would match the offer?
He's not tradeable. Either Nashville retains him or Philly gets him, no deals to be made now. Holmgren tried to trade for Weber but Poile insisted on Couturier and Schenn (+). If you recall the Kessel situation, Burke threatened to offer-sheet Kessel but Chiarelli insisted he would match. Burke offered more via trade because he believed Chiarelli would have indeed matched and Kessel would have still been a Bruin. Obviously, in this scenario, Holmgren doesn't think the Predators could match and I tend to agree with him. Weber will be a Flyer imo

Closed Thread