HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
JGalt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Very parochial view of this. I'll give you credit for the first part, but you are not looking at the big picture.

Let's say Nashville matches and Shea wants out after year #1. Why in the world would Nashville look to Philly as a trade partner? How easy would it be for Shero to go up to his old pals in Nashville and discuss matters regarding replenishing their defense and also sticking it to Philly w/o saying exactly that?

Now this is just a "what-if" statement. So take it for what it's worth. But there is a prodigious way this could fire back at Philly.

HOWEVER - right now.. the Flyers are all-in and telling the other teams who the boss is in the East. The rest of the table just took a step back in shock and have to see how this plays out.
The contract is structured such that it's virtually impossible for Nash to match and then trade at a later date. Certainly not for at least 2 seasons.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Very parochial view of this. I'll give you credit for the first part, but you are not looking at the big picture.

Let's say Nashville matches and Shea wants out after year #1. Why in the world would Nashville look to Philly as a trade partner? How easy would it be for Shero to go up to his old pals in Nashville and discuss matters regarding replenishing their defense and also sticking it to Philly w/o saying exactly that?
Now this is just a "what-if" statement. So take it for what it's worth. But there is a prodigious way this could fire back at Philly.

HOWEVER - right now.. the Flyers are all-in and telling the other teams who the boss is in the East. The rest of the table just took a step back in shock and have to see how this plays out.
Under what circumstances would Nashville pay his massive year 1 payout and then look to move him somewhere?

Old
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Yeah, he would have totally refused a 110M$ from other teams. facepalm
I think Weber really wanted a potent offense in front of him. Holmgren has shown to really take care of players he wants. Not so much to what he doesn't want however. I think it's safe to say Weber will be wanted for at least 8 years of his contract.

Old
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartered View Post
Look, if you're a Nashville fan, the fact that Poile hasn't already matched Weber's offer sheet should be concerning.

Everyone saying they will match no question -- what is the delay for? The fact that they're even taking the time indicates that this isn't a no-matter-what-we'll-match situation. Especially in light of Poile's comments today, which were far from a guarantee of anything.
it isnt up to poile its up to the owners, there is a lot money involved here, no reason to rush it

Old
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucks N Canes View Post
Lol, the whole idea of the trade would be that Nashville gets what they actually want...

As a result Nashville won't take on Philly's Expendables they will take what they want or they keep him.
They either keep him or they don't. If they can afford him as you say, then they should keep him (for at least the 1 year). They don't really have a say in changes in compensation in this scenario, only a possible gentleman's agreement for afterwards. That shouldn't be the determining factor in their decision whether or not to match.

Old
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Well they might have to do some budget re-arranging, get the ownership to make the funds available, etc so it could be days. I would be concerned if it goes past Sunday though.
Sure, they could match him. I'll even go as far as to say that's the likely outcome of all of this. But it's not a guarantee and Poile is probably regretting that his bluff was called.

Old
NinthSpoke06
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
They would probably structure the deals with the money spread out instead of front loaded.

12/13: 9M each for Weber, Suter and Parise = 27M + you're already at the cap floor

12/13: 27M for Weber + Additional salaries to get to the cap floor = ~44M

The current scenario requires them to come up with an additional 17M for this season.
Or they could just take on Tim Thomas' suspended cap hit for $5M and not have to pay him a dime while getting to the floor.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse9 View Post
gotta admire the cajones of Paul Holmgren

you could argue that he has made some bad moves... but at least he has the courage to go out there and do whatever the **** he wants
Nobody can question the guy's guts. But he has to stop if this one pans out. He has a very young and skilled team that could build to a Cup. If they don't win a cup in the next two years, he can't blow the whole thing up, YET AGAIN, and change the overall look of the team.

If this one works - it's slowdown and let the team go. Because blowing the team up every two years doesn't win you a Cup. It's quite a proven fact at this point.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Weber obviously wants to play in Philly.

Here's hoping the Preds don't match but get some stud prospects in return.
Not quite so obvious. I have 110,000,000 reasons off the top of my head why he obviously wanted to cash in on his next contract.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Yes this is exactly why Nashville is still theoretically in the driver's seat. Even if they are unable to pay the bonus I would imagine Bettman would step in and help them pay. I mean I doubt he wants another team being owned by the league like the Coyotes. And the asking price should only go up as I said before. If Philly wants to do business that way then really gauge them for it.
Bettman may step in and tell the Preds to take the pics and move on. Regardless Bettman should have no influence on this decision.

Old
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
They have 7 full days to match. You use all of it. Interpreting the lack of immediate concrete response as anything less than posturing is wishful thinking by Flyer fans.
The truth. ^

Old
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I have a very hard time believing that Philly would be the only team that would offer Weber a contract like this
How many owners would be okay with dropping ~$26 million for a player in a single season who might not even play it (risk of lockout)? NHL franchises are first and foremost businesses and the thought of having all that money go down the drain isn't exactly appealing.

And mind you, the more front-loaded the contract is the worst it is for the owners because $7 million today is worth quite a bit more than $7 million 10 years from now.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
The contract is structured such that it's virtually impossible for Nash to match and then trade at a later date. Certainly not for at least 2 seasons.
You don't know Nashville's owner and how they spend on the team. You know who they are and maybe their net assets, but you simply do not know what they know.

We can sit here and act like we do, but we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Under what circumstances would Nashville pay his massive year 1 payout and then look to move him somewhere?
Lots of variables come into play. I've stated them in my last post.

Old
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Weber's agents should really shut the **** up.
He's just doing "his part" to get his client out of Nashville and into Philly. So, unless the Predators want a Rick Nash fiasco on their hands, let Shea walk..........

Old
PKC*

Deals like this make me wonder what the point of restricted free agency even is. Every young star seems to bypass it with a huge money deal by either holding out, signing an offer sheet or running to the KHL. It's hilarious that RFA even exists in the CBA if it can be so easily stepped around. Get rid of it. **** it. We keep getting **** like this. Might as well make teams start signing their young talent to long term deals right after the draft.

Old
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartered View Post
Look, if you're a Nashville fan, the fact that Poile hasn't already matched Weber's offer sheet should be concerning.

Everyone saying they will match no question -- what is the delay for? The fact that they're even taking the time indicates that this isn't a no-matter-what-we'll-match situation. Especially in light of Poile's comments today, which were far from a guarantee of anything.
The delay is purely so they can giggle at HFBoards for the next 6 days.

Old
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
They have 7 full days to match. You use all of it. Interpreting the lack of immediate concrete response as anything less than posturing is wishful thinking by Flyer fans.
The only plausible reason for the delay would be Nashville wanting to put the screws to the Flyers' other offseason plans by making them wait on the outcome of the Weber issue. But it's not like there are any other big names remaining on the market besides Semin and Doan, who aren't really being targeted by Philly anyway.

Old
Nucks N Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Could easily trade in a year and a half before third signing bonus. It just doesn`t make sense to let him go for just the compensation alone. Based on the financials or any way you look at it. It is only disillusioned fans who think Nashville will let him walk for the picks alone. Any business person or avid hockey fan realizes the benefit of a Weber on a small market team, unless you are getting an equal marketable or skilled player you dont make the trade especially when you have said player signed to a long-term contract.

Old
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyOwnsYou View Post
I can't see preds not matching.

Weber at 8M per should be enough incentive to match.

But dealing Weber 1 year from now will garnish a hellovallot more than 4 late 1st.

This is too much of an easy decision.
We now know what Penguins fans think Nashville should do.

Old
PPPower

Isn't it possible that Weber received offer sheets from multiple teams before signing the Flyers'? j/w

Old
07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
NinthSpoke06
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think Weber really wanted a potent offense in front of him. Holmgren has shown to really take care of players he wants. Not so much to what he doesn't want however. I think it's safe to say Weber will be wanted for at least 8 years of his contract.
He certainly does take care of them. Signs them to long term deals with all the money they want, then trades them in a few years so they can go win a cup.

Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyOwnsYou View Post
I can't see preds not matching.

Weber at 8M per should be enough incentive to match.

But dealing Weber 1 year from now will garnish a hellovallot more than 4 late 1st.

This is too much of an easy decision.
They can't handle how front-loaded it is.

El Dandy
I Against I

Quote:

Why would Nashville match for a guy who now doesn't want to be there?

Why would Poile's owner allow him to spend their 27 million that they maybe don't have on a guy who doesn't want to be there?

Why would Nashville pay these huge bonuses, just to trade him? I believe if Nashville matches, Weber stays.

People are forgetting this is 27 million of real money and it has to come from somewhere. This isn't 27 million of Monopoly money nor is their owner Ron Burkle, MSG or Comcast who can just pay 27 million without a second thought. Now factor in the human element of a guy who is supposed to be your captain not wanting to be there..

I don't see the backfire potential at all.

and if they do match and trade Weber at a later date, they aren't gonna trade him to Pittsburgh just to "stick it to Philly". They'll trade him to Pitt if they have the best deal, but they are not gonna make a trade with getting back at the Flyer as their top priority.

Old
ryerockarola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Barn fights need to find their way into the next CBA.
Barn rental costs should somehow count against the cap. I'm sure it'll be discussed soon

Old
Aiastelmon
Fire DB

Quote:
Yes exactly. They will take the full 7 days and arrange their financing to pay for the deal, hang Philly out to dry during that time waiting, and then match it. Doing anything else would be unthinkable from a hockey perspective, and bad business.

Really crappy move by Philly. Other GM's will take notice.

Closed Thread