HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Sens | Jan. 2nd 2014 7:30pm | SNET-E, TSN-JETS | Much Quality

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Benjamin
Chub n' Tuck

vCash: 133
Jets @ Sens | Jan. 2nd 2014 7:30pm | SNET-E, TSN-JETS | Much Quality

WOW
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan Much Score
Michalek-Zibanejad-Conacher So Beast
Greening-Smith-Stone Many Checks
Kassian-Pageau-Condra Little Minutes

Cowen-Karlsson Norris
Methot-Ceci So Ottawa
Phillips-Corvo Very Aged

Anderson WOW
Lehner

MEH
Ladd-Little-Wheeler Much Smelly
Kane-Schiefele-Frolik OK
Thorburn-Jokinen-Setoguchi So Mediocre
O'Dell-Wright-Tangradi Very Unknown

Enstrom-Bogosian So Jelly
Ellerby-Byfuglien Many Minus
Stuart-Trouba Cool

Montoya Many lulz
Pavelc

Many Buhs
So Benny Very Jets
WOW
Elton John

So Last Minute
Very Forgetful

Super Cereal GDT

Last edited by Benjamin: 01-02-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old
01-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

vCash: 500
wow. much GDT.

Old
01-01-2014, 11:52 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750

much 3

Old
01-01-2014, 11:58 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

vCash: 50
Get ready for some finger pointing by phillips.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:31 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBruins4Ever View Post
Get ready for some finger pointing by phillips.
His number one attribute. Pointing at the opposition players that need to be covered while covering no one himself.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:31 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Who remembers Boston 2on1 when he left the guy with the puck, pointed at him to be covered while his partner was still completely behind the play and(Phillips) drifted to the other side where Marchand basically had a breakaway out of nothing and hit the crossbar.

Lmao, the funniest thing is, Gryba started pointing like him when they were paired together for a while.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Othello*
VezinaLehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Who remembers Boston 2on1 when he left the guy with the puck, pointed at him to be covered while his partner was still completely behind the play and(Phillips) drifted to the other side where Marchand basically had a breakaway out of nothing and hit the crossbar.

Lmao, the funniest thing is, Gryba started pointing like him when they were paired together for a while.
He's trying his best to ruin Ceci lmao

Old
01-02-2014, 03:11 AM
God Says No

Quote:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one that noticed that play. So terrible.

Old
01-02-2014, 03:16 AM
HavlatMach9

Old
01-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Rocurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
Oh man, I thought I was the only one that noticed that play. So terrible.
I noticed that too. Wish nobody pointed out the pointing, really bugging me now.

Old
01-02-2014, 05:50 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
well in his defense (based off your description because Phillips has pointed at a lot of things), he did cover the open man, perhaps executed poorly, but the pointing is so that another teammate has that guy in the event of a rebound.

also, it's obvious Karlsson runs ninja interference all game long, but can you legit give him a penalty when you know that the interfered player will never break away from Karlsson?

Last edited by HavlatMach9: 01-02-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old
01-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:

Haha I remember this, weirdly it kind of seems to be the play with this team now defending 2v1s take the pass option away and allow the breakaway attempt...still seems strange to me

Old
01-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Phillips is in? Awwww crap, I already went all in on Ottawa.

Damn, damn, damn!

Old
01-02-2014, 08:19 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

I would much much MUCH rather see Phillips than Corvo in the lineup against the Jets. I suspect this will be a surprisingly physical game.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I would much much MUCH rather see Phillips than Corvo in the lineup against the Jets. I suspect this will be a surprisingly physical game.
If Phillips plays limited minutes. For whatever reason, Paulus has been over-using him this year.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:45 AM
porknbeans

unfortunate to see Phillips in. Ah well, hopefully they can make it 3 in a row!

Old
01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Derivation

why is there so much hate on Phillips? Yeah he has been playing sub par this season, however taking him off our D core makes us a easier team to play against.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
OgieO

I think most people's beef with Phillips is more that he's played too much (i.e. not really his fault). He's fine as a #5/6. Phillips has always been most effective when he plays that classic simple Phillips game (Option A: get the puck, find closest open player, pass it to him: Option B, see net, shoot puck). Whenever he tries to step it up he sucks.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I think most people's beef with Phillips is more that he's played too much (i.e. not really his fault). He's fine as a #5/6. Phillips has always been most effective when he plays that classic simple Phillips game (Option A: get the puck, find closest open player, pass it to him: Option B, see net, shoot puck). Whenever he tries to step it up he sucks.
Exactly.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
If Phillips plays limited minutes. For whatever reason, Paulus has been over-using him this year.
Because he's a veteran, Tampa is playing 8 rookies and most in significant roles, how's it working for them ? Best players play

Old
01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

The problem with Phillips is simple.

Everyone agrees that Cowen and Methot are #1 and #2 on the depth chart of left side defenseman (the order of who is 1 and who is 2 doesn't matter for this argument).

That leaves one spot on the left side of the defense. While you may argue that Phillips is better than Wier at this point in time (though I suspect the gap isn't large whichever side you take on that argument), the team probably benefits more from Wier's puck moving ability on that third pairing more than Phillips play down low in the defensive zone.

If that's the case, I want Wier on his much more comfortable and effective left side, especially considering that he's extremely mediocre to awful on the right side, which leaves the last spot on the right side defense open (assuming Karlsson and Ceci on the top two spots in this argument). I'm not enamored with Phillips on the right side (and you see that no coach is either, considering how fast he is moved OFF that spot every time he is tried there - from being tried at that spot to partner Redden onward), so regardless of how good or not bad Phillips is, we don't really have a spot for him on this defense.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Hello Please

Come on, erryone. This means Corvo sits on his ass. I would MUCH prefer this. I had a shred of faith in him about 20 games ago. That is now completely gone.

Philly's boss. Just don't play him 20 mins a game. It's that simple.

Edit - the last 25 seconds of singing during that rendition is horrendous. But go Elton, go.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
His number one attribute. Pointing at the opposition players that need to be covered while covering no one himself.
Lidstrom actually started doing this concistently, but the difference is: he actually covered his guy while giving his linemates great pointers about who to take and where to go.

Phillips can hardly even back-skate and point at the same time, no less cover his man or give his defence partner solid instructions.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The problem with Phillips is simple.

Everyone agrees that Cowen and Methot are #1 and #2 on the depth chart of left side defenseman (the order of who is 1 and who is 2 doesn't matter for this argument).

That leaves one spot on the left side of the defense. While you may argue that Phillips is better than Wier at this point in time (though I suspect the gap isn't large whichever side you take on that argument), the team probably benefits more from Wier's puck moving ability on that third pairing more than Phillips play down low in the defensive zone.

If that's the case, I want Wier on his much more comfortable and effective left side, especially considering that he's extremely mediocre to awful on the right side, which leaves the last spot on the right side defense open (assuming Karlsson and Ceci on the top two spots in this argument). I'm not enamored with Phillips on the right side (and you see that no coach is either, considering how fast he is moved OFF that spot every time he is tried there - from being tried at that spot to partner Redden onward), so regardless of how good or not bad Phillips is, we don't really have a spot for him on this defense.
Agree, but I'm one of those that think when you factor the entire games of both players, PW is better than Phillips right now. Get PW at LD NOW and let him develop. If Philly can play RD, fine. But he's not a long term asset anymore and we shouldn't block the development of our LTA's for aging vets.

If MacLean won't abide, Murray should step in and trade Phillips to open the spot. It's tricky when the GM and coach don't see eye-to-eye though.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:31 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Hello Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Agree, but I'm one of those that think when you factor the entire games of both players, PW is better than Phillips right now. Get PW at LD NOW and let him develop. If Philly can play RD, fine. But he's not a long term asset anymore and we shouldn't block the development of our LTA's for aging vets.

If MacLean won't abide, Murray should step in and trade Phillips to open the spot. It's tricky when the GM and coach don't see eye-to-eye though.
I have no evidence, but I get the feeling this has been the case a few times this year. I feel like Murray has had a few wtf moments up in the press box.

Closed Thread