HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the fans?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2013, 01:27 AM
  #1
askformore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
What happened to the fans?

Today I went to my first Sens game this season, and wow it was depressing. I never seen such a crowd like tonight in all of the entire time that I went to Sens games in my life. I really hope it was just tonight, and other games were better. First there were a lot of empty seats, I know that's the real numbers and no gimmicks. But the 10, 000ish people there were so quiet it was disappointing. The Sens are playing in their home rink, and we "the fans" suppose to cheer them on and give them the energy and boost to help them win the game. I notice the atmosphere isn't that great like before, we are not cheering enough. Maybe that's why our team have such a bad losing record at home this year. Is it because the team is playing like crap and people know that they are not making the playoffs but still attend games because they are bored and have nothing better to do? It's just sad when I remember back then it was an amazing atmosphere, a true Canadian town hockey market. Now I look around its empty, and seems like not a lot of people care and just there for what reason I'm not sure. It's their money and they can cheer or do whatever they want, but come on guys our city's reputation may be ruined. Ottawa is suppose to be a hockey town!

askformore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:28 AM
  #2
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22,939
vCash: 500
Robin Lehner, a young Swedish hockey player who normally stumbles to find grasp of long sentences in a fluid manner, used a word that isn't in most people's vocabulary to describe the current state of the Sens locker-room in an interview yesterday:

Nonchalant.

The fans are only mirroring the team. Man, did Lehner ever nail that one in the head.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:30 AM
  #3
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,534
vCash: 500
1) no more free tickets
2) slumping team
3) poor home record
4) built-up expectations (maybe unrealistic ones) are being shattered
5) AlfieGate fallout

Not giving excuses here, just reasons.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:31 AM
  #4
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 50
Doing the same thing as Melnyk.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:34 AM
  #5
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,537
vCash: 500
Our fans have the same resolve for tough times like our team. Mirrors each other perfectly.

Clark MacArthur called out the fans for being fairweather in this town. Sad but true.

Yeah, it's been a rough season. But we are literally 33 games removed from two great seasons when our team over achieved and did the unthinkable of making the playoffs. Our team even did us all proud and spanked the favored Habs in the playoffs, giving us bragging rights over their fanbase.

First sign of trouble and "the fans" run from the scene and demand everyone get traded and fired.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:36 AM
  #6
askformore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I thought Sens fans are one of the greatest fans in the nhl, this is quite embarrassing actually. To our own team, and their opponents that come in here and see Sens fans like this. It looks like florida's home rink tonight. :*(

askformore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:41 AM
  #7
shootingrubber
Registered User
 
shootingrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 500
The fans are simply doing the same thing the players are doing at this point. They don't care. I mean what's the point? The players don't. Why should we?

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:46 AM
  #8
askformore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Is it a true fan if you act like you don't care if it seems like the team doesn't care? You guys say we are just mirroring the team, how about we show that we care about our team and then maybe they will show that they care too and put more effort because we are behind them. What's so hard about this logic? So both party trying to show they don't care doesn't make things better.

askformore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:50 AM
  #9
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
The owner quit on the team and the players are OK with that. I'm just glad the last game of my ticket package is this weekend as I don't think I could stand any more of their indifferent play.

I gave them another chance after cancelling every one of my games due to the lockout last year, but their effort this year in front of their fans is pathetic. It'll be a long while before I waste money on a ticket package again.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:56 AM
  #10
Barbershoppe
God Bless Our Troops
 
Barbershoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dumpster #47
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
The fans are too busy working their door-to-door bottle drive to bring Alfie back! Once they've collected a billion cans of Canadian they'll have enough to make him an offer!

Barbershoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:59 AM
  #11
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by askformore View Post
I thought Sens fans are one of the greatest fans in the nhl, this is quite embarrassing actually. To our own team, and their opponents that come in here and see Sens fans like this. It looks like florida's home rink tonight. :*(
Fun Fact: there are lots of great Sens fans, there just aren't a lot of us.

City of ~1,000,000 people
- Probably 20% are Habs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 2 hour drive away + East End Francophone population + Gatineau)
- Probably 15% (at least) are Leafs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 4 hour drive away + the fact that Leafs fans are stubborn and pass on their allegiances to their kids)

So right off the bat, you've eliminated anywhere from 30-40% of your population from supporting your team. Then you have the fair-weather fans, that's probably another ~15-25% of your fanbase. And then you have to consider that as a Federal Public Servant town, a maybe-not-so-small-and-significant chunk of our population come from other parts of the country, and they bring their allegiances with them. And then, of course, not everyone in Canada loves hockey, so that's another chunk gone.


Honestly, we have the smallest fanbase in Canada, and that's including Winnipeg, IMO. We're sandwiched between the two largest hockey fanbase/markets in the world. A lot of people keep saying "wait until the new generation of Sens fans are old enough to buy tickets", but at the rate that Leafs and Habs fans are passing their allegiances on to their kids, and the fact that both teams are easily within driving distance, I'm not super-confident that we'll ever be anything other than Canada's 7th team. Maybe 6th, if the market really cools down in Winnipeg over the next 10 or so years.


Last edited by BonkTastic: 12-20-2013 at 02:04 AM.
BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:05 AM
  #12
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 50
I thought i read on the business sub forum that the jets ticket sales have really slowed down.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:07 AM
  #13
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I thought i read on the business sub forum that the jets ticket sales have really slowed down.
I didn't hear about that, though it's not the most surprising thing in the world.

There's bound to be a bit of a calm-down period after getting your team back like that.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:25 AM
  #14
Barbershoppe
God Bless Our Troops
 
Barbershoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dumpster #47
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
... Leafs and Habs fans are passing their allegiances on to their kids, and the fact that both teams are easily within driving distance, I'm not super-confident that we'll ever be anything other than Canada's 7th team. Maybe 6th, if the market really cools down in Winnipeg over the next 10 or so years.
Not so fast there pilgrim. While you may be onto something and a lot of what you said is true BUT I have many friends in Ottawa who are older and are Sens fans! In fact one of my buddies grew up a die-hard Laffs fan and to this day remains a Toronto fan. His mission you say? (once married and had his children) - was to entice his four kids into becoming Laff fans too! Did it work you say? Well his kids are 12-17 years of age now and ALL of them at one point or another WERE Toronto fans. As matter of fact for the first 10-years of their young lives they were fans of the blue and white. HOWEVER then something magical started to happen. The oldest one started to get engraved in Ottawa culture and even after wearing his Toronto jersey to school he gradually started to take a liking to the Sens. Then slowly one-by-one they all started to be like their friends at school and became Ottawa Senators fans. Then they became die-hard Senators fans. Today they all cheer for Ottawa and have made the switch leaving dear-old dad as the odd ball out!! True story no ******** here brah!

Barbershoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:35 AM
  #15
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,787
vCash: 500
My dad was a Leafs fan, look how I turned out.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:37 AM
  #16
Orr123
Registered User
 
Orr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbershoppe View Post
Not so fast there pilgrim. While you may be onto something and a lot of what you said is true BUT I have many friends in Ottawa who are older and are Sens fans! In fact one of my buddies grew up a die-hard Laffs fan and to this day remains a Toronto fan. His mission you say? (once married and had his children) - was to entice his four kids into becoming Laff fans too! Did it work you say? Well his kids are 12-17 years of age now and ALL of them at one point or another WERE Toronto fans. As matter of fact for the first 10-years of their young lives they were fans of the blue and white. HOWEVER then something magical started to happen. The oldest one started to get engraved in Ottawa culture and even after wearing his Toronto jersey to school he gradually started to take a liking to the Sens. Then slowly one-by-one they all started to be like their friends at school and became Ottawa Senators fans. Then they became die-hard Senators fans. Today they all cheer for Ottawa and have made the switch leaving dear-old dad as the odd ball out!! True story no ******** here brah!
That kind of sounds like my family! Lol. Although my little girl still cheers for the Leafs (but she's only 4 and is a daddy's girl). But my husband's a Leafs fan, and my son said two years ago that he was cheering for the Sens because at least they sometimes make the playoffs. Although poor kid is probably going to have to see the Sens fall out of the playoffs this year.

But the issue is Ottawa is a young team. I have been a fan since I was 9, but I don't know many people out there who have been. So Ottawa fans are going to be crazy when the team is playing well, and likely will have fans bandwagon jump a bit when they are playing poorly.

Last playoffs I have never been in an arena so loud and amazing in my life. And that includes Leafs games I've been too. But that was when the Sens were defying odds. Now the Sens are simply just lazy, and fans have become that way too.

It sucks that is the way that it is, but I have noticed a significant change in the last 10 years in the amount of Sens fans, and I think it will continue to be on the rise, but I think the Sens need to keep playing good enough hockey to make the playoffs to keep fans happy. Whereas fans of the Leafs or Habs who are die hard, will cheer for their team regardless of how horrific they are.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:37 AM
  #17
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbershoppe View Post
Not so fast there pilgrim. While you may be onto something and a lot of what you said is true BUT I have many friends in Ottawa who are older and are Sens fans! In fact one of my buddies grew up a die-hard Laffs fan and to this day remains a Toronto fan. His mission you say? (once married and had his children) - was to entice his four kids into becoming Laff fans too! Did it work you say? Well his kids are 12-17 years of age now and ALL of them at one point or another WERE Toronto fans. As matter of fact for the first 10-years of their young lives they were fans of the blue and white. HOWEVER then something magical started to happen. The oldest one started to get engraved in Ottawa culture and even after wearing his Toronto jersey to school he gradually started to take a liking to the Sens. Then slowly one-by-one they all started to be like their friends at school and became Ottawa Senators fans. Then they became die-hard Senators fans. Today they all cheer for Ottawa and have made the switch leaving dear-old dad as the odd ball out!! True story no ******** here brah!
Hey, I'm not saying stories like that aren't great, they sure are.

I'm just saying, they're a lot rarer than Leafs fans staying Leafs fans. I remember when I used to manage a pro-shop (years ago), you'd have WAY more people coming in to buy Leafs gear with their kids, saying things like "if you marry a Sens fan I'll disown you", and other heartwarming tales of childhood nurturing. I used to see it with coworkers at other jobs I've had in the past as well: Leafs/Habs fans who actively make sure their kids root for the same team... and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Nothing wrong with Papa wanting Little Jimmy to root for the same team he does. It just sucks for the Sens, that's all.

Leafs fans more often than not produce Leafs fans. Same for Habs fans. LOTS of history with those two particular clubs that lends itself to creating "Leafs Families" and "Habs Families".

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:41 AM
  #18
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Our fans have the same resolve for tough times like our team. Mirrors each other perfectly.

Clark MacArthur called out the fans for being fairweather in this town. Sad but true.

Yeah, it's been a rough season. But we are literally 33 games removed from two great seasons when our team over achieved and did the unthinkable of making the playoffs. Our team even did us all proud and spanked the favored Habs in the playoffs, giving us bragging rights over their fanbase.

First sign of trouble and "the fans" run from the scene and demand everyone get traded and fired.
I have been following this team since I was 11 years old... that is 21 years of being a Senators fan. Fair weather is maybe what Ottawa is about, but I am certainly not. That being said -- if Melnyk did not create these expectations, only to pull the carpet out from under the fan bases feet at the last minute, then I doubt you would be seeing what is happening this season.

This is entirely the owners fault. He ****ed up. It was okay that he was a little odd and quirky, that he said some stupid things from time to time as long as he was supporting this team and proving to people that there was a product worth watching. After two successful seasons he essentially has said, too bad for you guys, here's the cap... I ****ed up and you all will pay the consequences. Very much like what happened in 2008 on wallstreet. You expect fans to stick around for this type of bait and switch ********?


Last edited by DylanSensFan: 01-02-2014 at 03:15 AM.
DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:05 AM
  #19
albator71
Registered User
 
albator71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
I think the fans are very frustrated right now, cause the be frank the players don't seem to give a ****.

Put on top of that the fact that Melnyk won't spend a dime to improve this team and I don't blame the fans to be pissed off.

Right now they are not playing smart hockey they run around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off in the D zone.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:15 AM
  #20
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Fun Fact: there are lots of great Sens fans, there just aren't a lot of us.

City of ~1,000,000 people
- Probably 20% are Habs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 2 hour drive away + East End Francophone population + Gatineau)
- Probably 15% (at least) are Leafs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 4 hour drive away + the fact that Leafs fans are stubborn and pass on their allegiances to their kids)

So right off the bat, you've eliminated anywhere from 30-40% of your population from supporting your team. Then you have the fair-weather fans, that's probably another ~15-25% of your fanbase. And then you have to consider that as a Federal Public Servant town, a maybe-not-so-small-and-significant chunk of our population come from other parts of the country, and they bring their allegiances with them. And then, of course, not everyone in Canada loves hockey, so that's another chunk gone.


Honestly, we have the smallest fanbase in Canada, and that's including Winnipeg, IMO. We're sandwiched between the two largest hockey fanbase/markets in the world. A lot of people keep saying "wait until the new generation of Sens fans are old enough to buy tickets", but at the rate that Leafs and Habs fans are passing their allegiances on to their kids, and the fact that both teams are easily within driving distance, I'm not super-confident that we'll ever be anything other than Canada's 7th team. Maybe 6th, if the market really cools down in Winnipeg over the next 10 or so years.
Solid post, explains it all quite nicely. THe Sens have always been a walk up driven team, when the home record is as bad as it is and the team fails to meet expectations its only natural for there to be a dip in attendance.

I think a there are a lot of Sens fans still supporting the team, but don't want to put up with the cluster**** that is the sens board right now. Just look at the past couple of gdts. Every time a goal is scored people are going off about how this player or that management guy should be crucified. Trade threads pop up like apple products in a coffee shop, the louder voices start screaming for heads and some people just stay away.

The team is struggling, people are losing their minds and things look bleak. But the Sens are still in that expanding pack of teams battling it out for the last wild card slot and not all is lost. At least not yet.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:36 AM
  #21
Golden
Börk Börk Börk
 
Golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
This team started off on the wrong foot with the off-season going the way it went. The organization feels like it's in a windfall. Our owner is broke and doesn't seem to give a ****, our captain walked for a better team and with him our team identity, we're handcuffed by the internal cap and can't afford to bring anyone in that might help us.

None of these things would be an issue if we were actually winning games but we're not and we're losing in new and frustrating ways. So now you've compounded a bad off-season with bad hockey during the regular season. It's just not palatable to the average fan.

Even I think it's a bit of a chore to watch them this year and I love the team. People are disheartened and a little bit fed up. But I do think if they gave the fans something to rally around - whether it's getting back to that pesky brand of hockey people loved so much or something else - they'd buy in again.


Last edited by Golden: 12-20-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:17 AM
  #22
MtRundle
Shawville Strong
 
MtRundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by askformore View Post
Today I went to my first Sens game this season, and wow it was depressing. I never seen such a crowd like tonight in all of the entire time that I went to Sens games in my life. I really hope it was just tonight, and other games were better. First there were a lot of empty seats, I know that's the real numbers and no gimmicks. But the 10, 000ish people there were so quiet it was disappointing. The Sens are playing in their home rink, and we "the fans" suppose to cheer them on and give them the energy and boost to help them win the game. I notice the atmosphere isn't that great like before, we are not cheering enough. Maybe that's why our team have such a bad losing record at home this year. Is it because the team is playing like crap and people know that they are not making the playoffs but still attend games because they are bored and have nothing better to do? It's just sad when I remember back then it was an amazing atmosphere, a true Canadian town hockey market. Now I look around its empty, and seems like not a lot of people care and just there for what reason I'm not sure. It's their money and they can cheer or do whatever they want, but come on guys our city's reputation may be ruined. Ottawa is suppose to be a hockey town!
Hilarious post.

"This is my first time going to a sens game all year.........
.................................................. ................................
.................................................. ................................
why aren't there any fans?"

You don't put 2 and 2 together well do you?

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:22 AM
  #23
Lehner
Registered User
 
Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
If Melnyk put a better product on the ice you would have more fans. Have to spend money to make money, same deal here.

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:53 AM
  #24
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by askformore View Post
Today I went to my first Sens game this season, and wow it was depressing. I never seen such a crowd like tonight in all of the entire time that I went to Sens games in my life. I really hope it was just tonight, and other games were better. First there were a lot of empty seats, I know that's the real numbers and no gimmicks. But the 10, 000ish people there were so quiet it was disappointing. The Sens are playing in their home rink, and we "the fans" suppose to cheer them on and give them the energy and boost to help them win the game. I notice the atmosphere isn't that great like before, we are not cheering enough. Maybe that's why our team have such a bad losing record at home this year. Is it because the team is playing like crap and people know that they are not making the playoffs but still attend games because they are bored and have nothing better to do? It's just sad when I remember back then it was an amazing atmosphere, a true Canadian town hockey market. Now I look around its empty, and seems like not a lot of people care and just there for what reason I'm not sure. It's their money and they can cheer or do whatever they want, but come on guys our city's reputation may be ruined. Ottawa is suppose to be a hockey town!
If supposed fans like you bought more tickets instead of complaining about attendance, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:08 AM
  #25
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65
 
Patvolcom65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
My dad was a Leafs fan, look how I turned out.
An Oilers fan?

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.