HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else getting tired of Mike Gillis

Old
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Mike Gillis is the depth move GM NOT the bold move GM.

For example when Daniel was hurt Mason Raymond was moved to the first line. After his terrible season our depth was so awful that a guy Nonis drafted that had no business being on any first line was put there in the playoffs. 4 years of Gillis and Raymond was the best we could do for that first line spot.

Booth was awful, Ballard hasn't fit in even though I like him, Hamhuis and garrison would have signed here no matter who the GM was just like mitchell did. What has Gillis done? He makes little depth moves and talks a big game. He handled the Hodgson situation almost as badly as he's handled the Luongo situation. Give him 20 million in cap space and he'll make a bold move by offering half of it to a washed up chain smoker.

Who needs legit first line forwards or number 1 d-men when you can take the easy way out and pretend Booth is one. Thank god he was given two great goalies to work with.

I think he's a good GM just HIGHLY overrated on here. Total groupthink cool aid drinking mentality.
Willie Mitchell admitted on after hours that he signed no hometown discount.

The Canucks offered him the most money at the time.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Nobody could've known that Cory Schneider would develop into a potential franchise goaltender at the time Luongo's 12 year deal was negotiated because he had five career NHL starts and a .877 save percentage at that time.

He had the pedigree but dozens of goaltenders have that and never get anywhere at the NHL level.

Your wilful ignorance of the context of the situations you've brought up makes the prospect of discussing this stuff tiresome and probably pointless.
To add to that, it seems likely that the Aquilinis had there hand in handing out this contract. It's tough to pin on Gillis a contract he probably didn't have full say in.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Only read the original post. There had better be an afterlife, or I'll hunt you down for the fifteen seconds you owe me.
Grammar, spelling, and logic all get a failing grade.

So tired of finishing first? See ya.

kevinsane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:52 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

i think gillis is a jackass and have for a long time but i can't fault him for not signing weber (term too long), or signing schultz (not guaranteeing him a spot)

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I wish we were in on every UFA like Glen Sather so we could have the same amount of success!

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
i think gillis is a jackass and have for a long time but i can't fault him for not signing weber (term too long), or signing schultz (not guaranteeing him a spot)
What makes him a jackass? Luongo deal? Hodgson trade? Letting Mitchell walk? Everything looks bad in hindsight.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Calgary overachieved for one season and then chased their tale for 5 seasons while drafting and developing terribly. The Canucks have been knocking on the door for 3 or 4 years while building a prospect pool. No similarities.
I wasn't saying there are similarities now...I just don't want management to uselessly try to extend the window into Flames-style oblivion. Know when to rebuild.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:03 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
So in 10 years Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian, KConn could be those guys. Obviously not as good, but still.

If you blame anyone for our drafting it begins and almost ends with Burke.
History of our franchise has been **** drafting. I was hoping that would chAnge.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
History of our franchise has been **** drafting. I was hoping that would chAnge.
So a successful GM who isn't able to turn water into wine is not enough for you?

29 other teams in the NHL wish they could win the Stanley Cup every year while pumping out a crop of superstars every draft.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
What makes him a jackass? Luongo deal? Hodgson trade? Letting Mitchell walk? Everything looks bad in hindsight.
-sundin deal (thank god he only signed for 1 year, if it was for the 2 gillis offered him the canucks would have been severely hamstrung)
-keith ballard trade
- didn't like him not signing willie

glad he traded hodgson since we found out he was being a brat, not a fan of the booth trade either

he can be an ass to the media but thats not one of the main reasons why i don't like him

Old
07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
serge2k

Quote:
-sundin deal (thank god he only signed for 1 year, if it was for the 2 gillis offered him the canucks would have been severely hamstrung)
-keith ballard trade

glad he traded hodgson since we found out he was being a brat, not a fan of the booth trade either

he can be an ass to the media but thats not one of the main reasons why i don't like him
Glad he traded him at the deadline for a guy who was zero help in the playoffs.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
-keith ballard trade

Sundin was paid 10 million but his caphit wasn't 10 million. He didnt' start playing until later in the year. He played decent. And we got him for nothing but money and had the space available. I dont see why anybody would think that was a bad move. Who cares what owners paid him.

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Glad he traded him at the deadline for a guy who was zero help in the playoffs.
lets be serious, hodgson would have been stapled to the bench during the playoffs

Old
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Sundin was paid 10 million but his caphit wasn't 10 million. He didnt' start playing until later in the year. He played decent. And we got him for nothing but money and had the space available. I dont see why anybody would think that was a bad move. Who cares what owners paid him.
im talking if he signed for 2 years instead of the one pro rated season. pretty sure the canucks would have been in cap-hell if that happened iirc

Old
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Detroit won a cup in the same period. Had the Canucks won one, there wouldn't be an issue.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Drafting ability and winning the Stanley Cup don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Quote:
Maybe you should wait a bit for of our promising late picks to develop before making such claims.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Bad deals look bad in hindsight. Good deals look good in hindsight. You can benefit from hindsight as much as it can detract.

Ballard, Mitchell, Luongo are three mistakes that will haunt Gillis.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
im talking if he signed for 2 years instead of the one pro rated season. pretty sure the canucks would have been in cap-hell if that happened iirc
Not sure how much room they had the next year but paying too much for one player in one extra year i dont think would hurt the team that much and i think sundin could have still contributed for one more year with an off season of training and preparing. he started looking decent when he got his legs somewhat underneath him.

though i dont know how close to the cap they were the next year, so i can't say how much i think that would have screwed him but i doubt it would have been much, they might have had to dump one player. Not sure. Im sure they could have made room without losing anyone of importance

With Sundin signed, that was the best team we've had on paper, sure we didn't win that year but given another chance, i would have liked our odds. Sundin gave us a great second line

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksrock View Post
Yeah really tired of winning President Trophies and signing players to reasonable contracts. Damn that Gillis!
Damn. The 1st god damn reply took the words straight from my head.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Not sure how much room they had the next year but paying too much for one player in one extra year i dont think would hurt the team that much and i think sundin could have still contributed for one more year with an off season of training and preparing. he started looking decent when he got his legs somewhat underneath him.

though i dont know how close to the cap they were the next year, so i can't say how much i think that would have screwed him but i doubt it would have been much, they might have had to dump one player. Not sure. Im sure they could have made room without losing anyone of importance

With Sundin signed, that was the best team we've had on paper, sure we didn't win that year but given another chance, i would have liked our odds. Sundin gave us a great second line
i think that was the year luongo's contract was up and having a 10 million $ cap hit on the books (or w/e high number it would have been) would have made signing him very tough (some people might see that as a good thing, but they probably forgot the times when vancouver was a goalie grave yard)
edit: nvm there was 1 year left

Old
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Shareefruck

No, but I sure am getting tired of posters like you.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:24 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Bad deals look bad in hindsight. Good deals look good in hindsight. You can benefit from hindsight as much as it can detract.

Not really.. Luongo will be traded to Chicago for Bolland who will score the GWG of the 2045 Stanley Cup Finals.

But yeah. Ballard at the time was fair. Mitchell was understanding. Luongo I was upset about, and still am.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Verviticus

nope

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
So a successful GM who isn't able to turn water into wine is not enough for you?

29 other teams in the NHL wish they could win the Stanley Cup every year while pumping out a crop of superstars every draft.
What examples are water into wine?? I'd love to hear this as you clearly worship him.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:35 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineBlast View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. Drafting ability and winning the Stanley Cup don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Maybe you should wait a bit for of our promising late picks to develop before making such claims.
It makes perfect sense.their lack of promising young stars is trumped by their cup. I thought that would be clear but I guess not.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post

And probably acquiring Booth