HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XVIII)

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
If Carolina had defense... #thingsyoullsayatthedeadline

Who knows though.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:32 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
As I've mentioned before, Parise was a key factor in a lot of goals scored this year. Especially Kovys regular season goals. He will definitely be missed.
I disagree. How did we score goals before Zach arrived? Exactly.

His absence is not going to throw this franchise into a tailspin. The Devils, like they've always done time after time after time, WILL....FIND....A.......WAY, Period.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Another fun read, which means about as much as the other link I posted, but this one has a more positive twist to it...

Even factoring in the MacLean era, the Devils have been the best (regular season) team in the East since the lockout

http://thehockeywriters.com/how-the-...-post-lockout/

Old
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Highlight: The highlight for the Leafs and their fans may have been their placement in the 2013 Winter Classic in Detroit.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
oh my what a burn

Old
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Another fun read, which means about as much as the other link I posted, but this one has a more positive twist to it...

Even factoring in the MacLean era, the Devils have been the best (regular season) team in the East since the lockout

http://thehockeywriters.com/how-the-...-post-lockout/
I definitely did not expect Buffalo to be number 2.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Zajac wired that thing. Lundquist was off his angle a bit, but you could tell how surprised he was at how fast that shot was by him. He's reacting as it's passing him. He must not have thought Zajac could shoot a puck like that.
That looks like a goal from the 80s, when guys could come burning down the wing and beat the goalie clean with a quick shot. Lundqvist definitely could have and should have had that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
THN looks like it just slotted last year's predictions in for this year, I guess if they predict it enough years in a row one of these seasons they'll get their wish lol.
Also known as the Scott Burnside method of prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
When your team was the laughing stock of the worst division in the league for so long, it'll take you a while to get respect.
I've never experienced this myself, but older Devils fans are definitely familiar with this concept. It took a long time to shed the Mickey Mouse image.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
People keep underestimating Florida. They were tough last year. If Huberduber and Mueller can be effective, there's some offense there to complement a good emerging defense. Garrison will be missed.

I always thought people failed to give the Panthers enough credit during the Devils run.
Florida was not really a good team last year. Yes, I know, they nearly beat us round 1 but that doesn't change my point.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Kind of blows a hole through their simplistic methodology.
They just calculated points earned and ranked by most accumulated points.
Sabres only made the post season 4 times since the lock out.. but 2 of those seasons were 110 & 113pt seasons. That compensates for the seasons they came up short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I've never experienced this myself, but older Devils fans are definitely familiar with this concept. It took a long time to shed the Mickey Mouse image.
The Mickey Mouse image has still stuck with this franchise. Every season is THE season that the Devils finally "come back to Earth" and stop "over achieving" and it's nothing but missed playoffs and disappointment from here on out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Florida was not really a good team last year. Yes, I know, they nearly beat us round 1 but that doesn't change my point.
They weren't really supposed to be a "good" team. It was a team thrown together to pull them out of the basement and be serviceable until their prospects started to mature.
For what that team was made of, they put up a hell of a fight.
You can say that it was the implosion of special teams on the Devils side, or that the Panthers caught some lucky breaks... but they made damn sure to capitalize on every opportunity they were given.

I came away with a lot of respect for Tallon, Dineen (minor *****ing aside) and some of the players on the team.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Their '06 and '07 seasons were pretty spectacular.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:37 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I disagree. How did we score goals before Zach arrived? Exactly.

His absence is not going to throw this franchise into a tailspin. The Devils, like they've always done time after time after time, WILL....FIND....A.......WAY, Period.
Before Zach arrived, we had a HOF defense and goalie in his prime and a loaded offense with the A-line, Gomez, Mogilny, etc. The problem with Zach leaving isn't just him leaving, it's when he left - right before we're transitioning out of the Marty-Elias era. And we don't have the forwards in the system right now to replace him - or Zajac if he walks after this year too. There's no Gomez circa 2000 walking through that door this year or probably next.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Before Zach arrived, we had a HOF defense and goalie in his prime and a loaded offense with the A-line, Gomez, Mogilny, etc. The problem with Zach leaving isn't just him leaving, it's when he left - right before we're transitioning out of the Marty-Elias era. And we don't have the forwards in the system right now to replace him - or Zajac if he walks after this year too. There's no Gomez circa 2000 walking through that door this year or probably next.
Devils will still find a way despite all that. I refuse to acknowledge that the absence of this POS who left us to marry his lover in Minny will cause this team's downfall.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
its not going to cause the team's downfall, but you're kidding yourself if you think we're better without him than with him

Old
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
manisback121

We will be fine without Zach. Uncle Lou has always had a philosophy of not placing the eggs in one basket. I am happy of being accused of rooting for a team of interchangeable parts!

Old
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisback121 View Post
We will be fine without Zach. Uncle Lou has always had a philosophy of not placing the eggs in one basket. I am happy of being accused of rooting for a team of interchangeable parts!
so you are saying if we had signed him, we'd be putting our eggs all in one basket...? I'm not following

did you forget about that guy that wears #17?

Old
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Not this Parise guy again.

Again, losing him stings. Does it make us fall out of the playoffs? No. Does it mean we can't score goals? No. Do we lose a great player? Yes, but we can make up for his qualities, as we said, through acquisitions, emerging players, etc.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post

Again, losing him stings. Does it make us fall out of the playoffs? No. Does it mean we can't score goals? No. Do we lose a great player? Yes, but we can make up for his qualities, as we said, through acquisitions, emerging players, etc.
If Clarkson can replicate his season from last year (which is something I won't dismiss as easily as some of you are) and if Henrique can continue to improve, the Devils will be fine.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
As I've mentioned before, Parise was a key factor in a lot of goals scored this year. Especially Kovys regular season goals. He will definitely be missed.
Remember though the Kovynator won the Rocket Richard(Yeah I know co won with Nash, and Iginla) without Parise as well as put up 55 goals that year, and one other time. 40+ a few times. He also was the engine behind our huge reemergence under Lemaire during the second half of 2010/2011 without Parise in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
The Devils will play above everyone's expectations

as they do every. single. year.
Aside from 10/11, and Oddly enough weren't quite a few journalists picking us to win the Cup that year right after we re signed Kovy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post

Last but not least this. Parise was a great player, and he will be missed(As a player not as a person. **** him) though I think we will pull through. Something people argue with me on the main board who are not Devils fans, but our second half reemergence under Lemaire. The only game Parise played during that 28-10-3 run was when we were eliminated from playoff contention ironically.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
If Clarkson can replicate his season from last year (which is something I won't dismiss as easily as some of you are) and if Henrique can continue to improve, the Devils will be fine.
Yup, I agree. Plus, Zajac will (hopefully) be playing a full season. We have a lot of youngsters that are due for breakouts in Tedenby, Josefson and Butler. We have a fully functional fourth line to go into the season with. We'll have Zidlicky for a full season, after seeing what he can do in his short stint here last year.

We'll be fine.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Some people are writing Clarkson off I think. Back in December people said he wouldn't reach higher than 20 goals, and his production would cool down, and then when he got to 15 people said he would hit 30 this year, but would not hit it ever again.

Me I wouldn't be surprised if he did or didn't. Just hate to see what it would cost to keep him, and Zajac next year. Remember Clarkson scored 17 goals in 08/09 playing half the season on a 4th line with Rupp, Holik, and an 80 year old Brendan Shanahan. He was also on pace for 20 goals in 09/10 had he played a full season, and not missed a quarter of the season with a broken leg or whatever it was.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Can we forget about Captain Lip Service ? Funny that's what Suter calls him too.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Kind of blows a hole through their simplistic methodology.
They just calculated points earned and ranked by most accumulated points.
Sabres only made the post season 4 times since the lock out.. but 2 of those seasons were 110 & 113pt seasons. That compensates for the seasons they came up short.
But those two seasons were amazing. I firmly believe the Sabres would have won the Cup in 2006 instead of the Team That Shall Not Be Named if they hadn't had half of their starting defence injured all at once.

I'm not shocked that they have been that good since the lockout. I am a little surprised they came in at #2, but I figured they would be in the top 5 for sure.

Quote:
Of course Parise leaving is a huge hit, but the Devils have won the Cup without a 60 point scorer before (2003). With Kovy in the fold for years and years and years, that's never going to happen again, we'll always have at least one P/G scorer. If we build the defence around Larsson and the other guys that step up from our deep defensive prospect pool, we'll be successful. I'm not worried.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

our weakly we can/can't survive without parise discussion.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Can we forget about Captain Lip Service ? Funny that's what Suter calls him too.
what you did there, i see it

Old
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

How anyone thinks this team won't survive without Parise certainly missed the entire playoffs and also the 2nd half of the season before.

Closed Thread