HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Source: Holmgren and Poile have talked "just once" since Weber signed with #Flyers. Sign of trade talks?

Per carchidi
If it's from Carchidi I would take it with a grain of salt.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Icedog2735

If the 1 phone call between Poile and Homer rumor is true, I think it makes sense. I'm sure Polie and the Nashville brass took probably Thursday and Friday to talk internally about which direction to go and then one phone call was made over the weekend possibly to give an update and maybe/probably talk compensation. To me only 1 phone call isn't big news, especially with 72 hours left in this process.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

any idea what time on Wednesday the decision has to be made? sorry for the craziness.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by erza scarlet View Post
any idea what time on wednesday the decision has to be made? Sorry for the craziness.
11:30 pm

Old
07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
flyersfromquebec

Hi, i am a first timer. Biggest flyers fan from quebec....I watch every game I got nhlcenterice...So since 1998 iam a flyers then i was only 15 years old. Enought said....

Weber is the most important player we need right now...remember pronger at the same age...he went on winning the cup and was the masterpiece behind the hole process...so i think we can affort to trade a combination of voracek and/or read bourdon mez...you know why cuz i think about winning in playoff so we CANT affort to lose weber he could be the next flyers main piece to build a cup winning team not just next year but for years to come....flyers Need him.

Btw homer is a +A grade DG so im sure he will make it happen...

Last edited by flyersfromquebec: 07-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
I'm afraid to go to sleep because Nashville will announce their decision at 1:30 in the morning.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:04 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really think that we are all going to be disappointed when Nashville matches. Too good to be true.
I wont be....bare minimum he's not a ranger or penguin and he will require a lindrosesque deal to acquire next offseason.

PLUS we didn't trade Couts or Schenn to get him....which we could have done already.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
flyershockey

I may be over thinking it here, but does anybody think there might be a small part of the ownership group that wants to match under the premise that it might force a move to Quebec City? It's pretty clear that most of the southern cities are struggling to run a successful franchise. By matching for Weber, it could position them to justify a move to a better market based on financial hardship. It might not be a bad investment if the plan is to force a relocation to a hockey starved market where they could make a lot more money.

Last edited by flyershockey: 07-22-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I will survive as well.....Couts and B Schenn must remain ..even at Weber's cost. Getting a franchise D man is definitely no easy task but neither is acquiring franchise centers. I expect Couts to be one very soon and B Schenn is on the same trajectory in my books.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Krishna

I doubt they want to move.. They have a strong fanbase.. Just the ticket prices are a bit too low

Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I may be over thinking it here, but does anybody think their might be a small part of the ownership group that wants to match under the premise that it might force a move to Quebec City? It's pretty clear that most of the southern cities are struggling to run a successful franchise. By matching for Weber, it could position them to justify a move to a better market based on financial hardship. It might not be a bad investment if the plan is to force a relocation to a hockey starved market where they could make a lot more money.
I don't. They would lose a TON of money between now and then.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVilleHockey41 View Post
That's exactly how I felt when he told me several weeks ago. I held off from saying anything on here because I didn't think anyone would believe me. The guy apparently coached him in the AHL, moved him to the right side so he could SEE the ice and pissed off brass for doing so.

He was saying that Holmgren, Poile, and Burke are all close friends due to their involvement in USA hockey.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:16 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I doubt they want to move.. They have a strong fanbase.. Just the ticket prices are a bit too low
A lot of southern teams have a strong fan base in the sense of dedication. But, they lack the size to truly support an NHL franchise.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I don't. They would lose a TON of money between now and then.
But, becoming the next Winnipeg could mean they would be one of the more profitable teams for the forseeable future.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I can't believe that a pic of Shea Weber dressed as Tigger went completely unmentioned lol.
Don't worry, if he comes to Philly I will be changing my avi to that ASAP...

Old
07-22-2012, 11:48 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I may be over thinking it here, but does anybody think there might be a small part of the ownership group that wants to match under the premise that it might force a move to Quebec City? It's pretty clear that most of the southern cities are struggling to run a successful franchise. By matching for Weber, it could position them to justify a move to a better market based on financial hardship. It might not be a bad investment if the plan is to force a relocation to a hockey starved market where they could make a lot more money.
Nashville's owners are all Nashville locals who only bought the Preds in the first place to prevent them from moving to Hamilton. so, no, there is zero chance this is in their thinking

Old
07-22-2012, 11:59 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Nashville's owners are all Nashville locals who only bought the Preds in the first place to prevent them from moving to Hamilton. so, no, there is zero chance this is in their thinking
Why did you have to post so late...your Avatar has haunted me and will cause much duress tonight...

Old
07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Why did you have to post so late...your Avatar has haunted me and will cause much duress tonight...
if only i could cause the same for holmgren....

Old
07-23-2012, 12:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I have been pretty much with that mentality that Nashville is going to match when I first heard the news. I am not getting myself to worked up and stoked up over it. People who do arent probably going to handle it well if the Preds do match.
If we get Weber great, if not we dont have to worry about him going to a main rival. We probably ruined the plans of more then 1 team who were banking cap space for next offseason if Nashville does match

Old
07-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I have been pretty much with that mentality that Nashville is going to match when I first heard the news. I am not getting myself to worked up and stoked up over it. People who do arent probably going to handle it well if the Preds do match.
If we get Weber great, if not we dont have to worry about him going to a main rival. We probably ruined the plans of more then 1 team who were banking cap space for next offseason if Nashville does match
QFE. These people saying he's definitely ours are going to be on suicide watch if they match.

At absolute best we're 50/50 right now and there's indicators that this could easily go either way.

It'll be a lot better for everyone if we just expect them to match... I promise.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

nmind

Old
07-23-2012, 12:51 AM
bryzgalovsky*

I hope the Flyers will not lose Andrej Meszaros if they do manage to acquire Weber and take part in a trade with the Predators. I imagine the pairings in that case would be as follows:

Timonen - Weber - In order to take some of the pressure off of Timonen who was badly injured at the end of the season/playoffs last year.
Coburn - Grossmann - A very solid pairing for the Flyers last year.
Schenn - Gervais - Schenn struggled to make the 6th spot on the Leafs, and while he apparently has considerable potential, he hasn't had a chance to prove himself. Gervais hasn't been great so far in his career.

While that top 4 is arguably the best in the NHL, the bottom pairing is potentially a serious liability, and teams will obviously be doing their best to throw their top scorer(s) on the ice when this pairing is out. It doesn't matter if the top 4 completely shut down the opposition if the bottom pairing is bad enough that it allows 2-3 goals in limited ice time.

It seems that there is universal agreement that Meszaros should be traded, but I believe he has been solid for the Flyers in all aspects (scoring, blocking shots, hitting, etc.) and when paired with Schenn could become the key to helping Bryzgalov pull together some more shutout streaks.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

IF The Flyers got Weber I could live with Schenn and whoever else on the bottom paring.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:56 AM
GTopCheese

I highly doubt we would put Timonen on the 1st pairing. We need to keep him fresher because he was obviously worn down by the end of the year.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Grossman-Weber
Timonen-Coburn
Schenn-Gervais/Lilja/Gus

I would be fine with that.
I like Mez. But having over 36 million tied up in your blueline(obviously provided Weber signs) isnt ideal. Especially when the Flyers still have to get Jake signed.
One thing to remember about Pronger's LTIR money. You have to use all of it.

Closed Thread