HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs 2012 draft review

Old
07-21-2012, 12:36 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs 2012 draft review

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...2-draft-review

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs went into the 2012 NHL Draft with six selections, including the fifth overall. While General Manager Brian Burke did little to surprise with his selections, there was some big news at the conclusion of the draft.
i would love to know how John-Eric Iannicello knew that Brian Burke was going to select 2 defensemen with the 5th and 35th pick. "little surprise"?

i am happy for our first pick, but surprised is an understatement. there were 10 centers drafted in the first round and 9 centers selected after Galchenyuk was drafted from Montreal. in the 2nd round there were 8 centers drafted after Finn. come on! "little surprise"? don't we have a 1C hole to fill?

did all of you have toronto drafting 2 Defensemen in the first two rounds?

what?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:44 AM
edruga
-

vCash: 666
yawn

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Well he said he picks bpa. So I'm not surprised he did that, but I am surprised that after Reilly he didn't trade and take a center man

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Dylbot

I appreciate the analysis, especially after the 2nd.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Ducati1098VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Well he said he picks bpa. So I'm not surprised he did that, but I am surprised that after Reilly he didn't trade and take a center man
guess he thought highly of Finn and no C's in his vicinity where close to his rating.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:10 AM
GhettoHockey

Cut him some slack.... Burke did draft a C .. when he drafted luke schenn that is!

He replaces Luke schenn with Morgan Rielly, who has a marginally better upside and he gets a player who was drafted as Center in J.V.R a #2 pick out of #5 pick so he doesn't have to draft a marginally less player in respect to upside who is a C in this years draft..... in my opinion its genius...

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:06 AM
MrVisser

He had Finn 2nd overall on his draft list, so there's no surprise there.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:15 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
He had Finn 2nd overall on his draft list, so there's no surprise there.
hahaha

Old
07-21-2012, 06:53 AM
toronto murphy laws

Let's see your draft rankings, ForSpareParts.

I'd wager that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding prospects, seeing as you have simply stated that he should have drafted a Centre without providing any examples.

It's pretty clear to most unbiased fans that Finn was ranked as a first rounder, and thus when he fell it was the smart move to draft him in the second.. Him being a Leafs fan and a well spoken, character guy probably made this a no brainer for Burke.

Who should have been taken instead?

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:00 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post

I'd wager that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding prospects, seeing as you have simply stated that he should have drafted a Centre without providing any examples.

It's pretty clear to most unbiased fans that Finn was ranked as a first rounder, and thus when he fell it was the smart move to draft him in the second.. Him being a Leafs fan and a well spoken, character guy probably made this a no brainer for Burke.

This. It's about taking bpa, not based on need. If it were the latter, Edmonton would've taken Murray ahead of Yakupov.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post
Cut him some slack.... Burke did draft a C .. when he drafted luke schenn that is!

He replaces Luke schenn with Morgan Rielly, who has a marginally better upside and he gets a player who was drafted as Center in J.V.R a #2 pick out of #5 pick so he doesn't have to draft a marginally less player in respect to upside who is a C in this years draft..... in my opinion its genius...

Was JVR drafted as a center? I've heard he played some center, but I don't think he was drafted as one...seems like a similar player to Filip Forsberg

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...s_vanriemsdyk/

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

i would love to know how John-Eric Iannicello knew that Brian Burke was going to select 2 defensemen with the 5th and 35th pick. "little surprise"?

i am happy for our first pick, but surprised is an understatement. there were 10 centers drafted in the first round and 9 centers selected after Galchenyuk was drafted from Montreal. in the 2nd round there were 8 centers drafted after Finn. come on! "little surprise"? don't we have a 1C hole to fill?

what?
Wow I never realized 10 centers were taken in the first round, that's alot considering only 1 in the top 10

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:07 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:

there's such a immaturity along with blood lust around here that i wouldn't dare submit a list. no matter who i mention i will have 80 replies of people ripping on my choices.

that's not my point. this HF article is fine. i just think that the wording of the introduction should be different. better yet state something like: "While General Manager Brian Burke did little to surprise with his selections being that he always chooses the best player available."

even that could be debated. was kadri the best available in the 2009 @ #7, or were they drafting from a positional need? they did need top 6 talent then, but it seems there were other players better than Kadri drafted after the 7th pick.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:12 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
there's such a immaturity along with blood lust around here that i wouldn't dare submit a list. no matter who i mention i will have 80 replies of people ripping on my choices.

that's not my point. this HF article is fine. i just think that the wording of the introduction should be different. better yet state something like: "While General Manager Brian Burke did little to surprise with his selections being that he always chooses the best player available."

even that could be debated. was kadri the best available in the 2009 @ #7, or were they drafting from a positional need? they did need top 6 talent then, but it seems there were other players better than Kadri drafted after the 7th pick.
Hindsight.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Fair enough, I must have missed your point. I didn't know your post was only concerned with the wording. The word surprise is kind of redundant in a draft analysis anyways.. Nobody should be surprised due to the unpredictability of the beast.

Quote:
Kadri was who they thought to be the best player. Feel free to play with hindsight though.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Fair enough, I must have missed your point. I didn't know your post was only concerned with the wording. The word surprise is kind of redundant in a draft analysis anyways.. Nobody should be surprised due to the unpredictability of the beast.

Kadri was who they thought to be the best player. Feel free to play with hindsight though.
did you expect them to draft 2 defensemen with their first 2 picks? if there were a bpa yeah then i get it. 1 is not that surprising, but to do it twice when a center is needed?

Old
07-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:

Thank god you made a new thread about your concerns with the article's introduction.

Anything else you want to share with us? How about your grocery shopping list, or what you plan to watch on TV tonight?

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:57 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
did you expect them to draft 2 defensemen with their first 2 picks? if there were a bpa yeah then i get it. 1 is not that surprising, but to do it twice when a center is needed?
I tend to avoid creating expectations for things I know very little about (aka. prospects and their projections).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Thank god you made a new thread about your concerns with the article's introduction.
lol seriously.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:58 AM
toronto murphy laws

delete.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:00 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

Anything else you want to share with us? How about your grocery shopping list, or what you plan to watch on TV tonight?
Anything leafs related is usually discussed in this forum.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
sgupca

Quote:

what?
What are you talking about? Finn was ranked as high as 13th on some scouting reports, and the lowest i've seen was 26th.

Reilly could very well be the most offensive dman in this draft.

Outside of Gally there isn't a C in this draft that is better than what we already have in Colborne (jury is still out on Grigs)

The leafs had a fantastic draft (on paper)

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:44 AM
eyeball11

Quote:

what?
It's little surprise given he has concentrated a lot on building D. He's got the pipeline stocked to the hilt. He's thinking long term.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:49 AM
thewave

#1 pick, AMAZING
#2 pick, AMAZING

The top two picks for the leafs this year were in my opinion #1-2 OVERALL + top 10 OVERALL in Finn. We got two high end first rounders this year for nothing and JVR for Schenn, a guy that wasnt working out very well. Burke has had an absolutely phenominal summer thus far.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
The Velvet Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
#1 pick, AMAZING
#2 pick, AMAZING

The top two picks for the leafs this year were in my opinion #1-2 OVERALL + top 10 OVERALL in Finn. We got two high end first rounders this year for nothing and JVR for Schenn, a guy that wasnt working out very well. Burke has had an absolutely phenominal summer thus far.
agreed. i never excepted finn to make it out of the first round. let alone fall out of the top 20.. and hes a Toronto boy and loves the leafs. Reilly's dad is a huge leaf fan... gotta love that!! amazing 1st and 2nd round selections followed by a steal of a trade, JVR health can put up at least 45pts, hopefully with a full healthy year and more ice time he can get 60-70pts and keep developing and we wish he will :p.

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoHockey View Post

Wow....now that is funny....That Rielly has marginally more upside than Schenn.....so you have not seen Rielly play then. Reilly is our Only blue chip prospect that we have Drafted in a long while. JVR was drafted as a Left Winger and not a center.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote