HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Blues now the best team in the Central?

Old
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

vCash: 500
Are the Blues now the best team in the Central?

I know they won it last year but going into the season would you consider the Blues the best team and favorites to win the division?

Personally I would. I think CHI is the next best team but they're goaltending is suspect at best. DET lost Lidstrom and Stuart and got another year older. Nashville lost Suter, Radulov, (and a Kostistyn brother? Not sure) Also, while I don't think Columbus will have as bad of a year they're not realistic contenders. It's been a long time since this question could realistically be asked, your thoughts?

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Took the words right out of my mouth that's exactly how I look at it

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
I don't think Nashville and Detroit will regress as much as some think, but I think we are the only true elite/contender left.

When all teams are healthy, we are the only team without any clear holes.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Ignore42me*

1. Blues
2. Hawks
3.-5. is a toss up for me. The last game we played CBJ, they were a very good team IMO. If they can play like that consistently and with the addition of Ryan Murray i think they have a pretty good chance of being equal or better than Preds/Wings. Right now, the wings have Kronwall as their #1. The Preds are down to Weber and Rinne. Im adding a prediction that CBJ will use their goalies like Hitchcock used Halak and Elliott. Right now they have two solid backup goalies, not a #1.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I think the Blues and Hawks are the top 2 teams for sure. I would say that assuming health, the Blues would be the favorites over the Hawks.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think the Central has four teams that could win the division without it being too big a surprise. That said, the Blues on paper are the deepest, best team at the moment.

Nashville loses Suter, but remember, Shea Weber is still probably the best defenseman in the NHL. He's certainly as good as Pietrangelo, and one reason we think the Blues are so good is that Pietrangelo accounts for so much potency on the back end. Plus, the Preds are the best defense drafters in the NHL. This Josi kid is going to be annoyingly good I think. Rinne is one of the NHL's elite goaltenders and so basically Nashville is going to stay in the mix just like every other recent year provided they don't trade Weber before the season. If they trade Weber, all bets are off. The Blues are better on paper than Nashville because of better offense. But in a given season, winning the division can be about one team finding its groove a little longer, and Nashville has a team certainly capable of doing that.

Detroit was hurt more by losing Lidstrom and Stuart and basically adding only Quincey. Howard has shown periods of top play and periods of shaky play, a lot depends on him. And Detroit has enough money and assets to make a deal before the offseason's out; I wouldn't write them off. They have vets and Datsyuk is the guy the players often pick as the MVP of the league. On paper the Blues are now better but it's another case of it not being shocking if they were to win the division.

Chicago is pretty much the same team as last year. A lot depends on Duncan Keith and how the third/fourth liners play. Keith sucked last year. Totally sucked. But he's been much better at other times in his career and if he bounces back and they get better goaltending the Hawks can put together the kind of groove that could win them the division.

All in all, the Blues are still the favorites, just because they have the most depth and balance up front, they have a world-class #1 defenseman with a decent supporting cast, and they have a great tandem and great coaching. They're basically solid everywhere. You have to call them the favorites on paper, but not runaway favorites.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Robb_K

At this very moment (before the teams finish tooling up), I'd give The Blues a slight edge over Chicago, who, in turn, has a slight edge over Detroit. But, I'm sure that Detroit will improve their roster before Game 1. Nashville has lost quite a bit. Columbus is still a disaster (despite their infusion of young talent).

I'd guess the following, assuming the rosters stay basically the same, and everyone remains healthy:

St. Louis 108 pts.
Chicago 101
Detroit 98
Nashville 95
Columbus 78

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:12 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
1. Blues
2. Hawks
3.-5. is a toss up for me. The last game we played CBJ, they were a very good team IMO. If they can play like that consistently and with the addition of Ryan Murray i think they have a pretty good chance of being equal or better than Preds/Wings. Right now, the wings have Kronwall as their #1. The Preds are down to Weber and Rinne. Im adding a prediction that CBJ will use their goalies like Hitchcock used Halak and Elliott. Right now they have two solid backup goalies, not a #1.
Columbus's goaltending is still bad. Bobs is a solid backup/okay starter. Their backup, whoever it is, is not any good. Also, their forward corps leaves a lot to be desired as well. Their D is okay, but isn't going to make up for their poor forwards/goaltending. I don't think there's any chance they end up equal to either the Wings or the Preds. Neither team got that much worse, and Columbus got marginally better. The Blues are the best team on paper, but a lot can happen during the season that can change that. A few injuries to key players would make getting to the playoffs a challenge. If Backes, Pietro, and the goalies stay healthy, there's a good chance we win the division.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Columbus's goaltending is still bad. Bobs is a solid backup/okay starter. Their backup, whoever it is, is not any good. Also, their forward corps leaves a lot to be desired as well. Their D is okay, but isn't going to make up for their poor forwards/goaltending. I don't think there's any chance they end up equal to either the Wings or the Preds. Neither team got that much worse, and Columbus got marginally better. The Blues are the best team on paper, but a lot can happen during the season that can change that. A few injuries to key players would make getting to the playoffs a challenge. If Backes, Pietro, and the goalies stay healthy, there's a good chance we win the division.
I disagree that NSH or DET didnt get that much worse. In fact, NSH lost one of its Top3 players which i consider to be about all equally important to that team. Detroit also lost Lidstrom who was at the end of his decline and lost Stuart , half of their top 4. One of which is replaced by Kyle Quincey. On top of Detroit's best players being a year. CBJ might not make the playoffs but they are going to be a much better competitor than most think.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:15 PM
jarmoismyhero

At this moment I would says STL and then Chi. However if CHI manages to get Luongo or another legit goalie then I would place them just above the Blues. I think if the Blues get can get another top end Dman then it would equal out Hawks getting a top goalie.

I still dont like the idea of having to rely on Cole to play top pairing on a contending team. Also you cannot expect another repeat of last years team defense. It will be good but not as good as last year. So they are going to have to find some scoring. Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart, and Perron, I think at least 2 will need to come close to 30 goals. Way I see it Backes 25-30, Oshie 20-35, Steen 20, Andy Mac 20 should all be able to achieve those numbers.

So basically they need to find a way to score more from within and try to find a way to get a legit top 4 dman and put Cole on the bottom pairing.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Chicago only finished single digit points behind the Blues, but their defense outright sucks. I don't think there's a single team with anywhere near their overall talent that looks so disinterested and lost in the defensive zone. A good goalie will help them a lot more in the playoffs than in the regular season, given how they play. Of course they are a threat to take the Central, but their coaching and defensive commitment will have to change significantly for me to think they have the edge over the Blues.

I don't expect Columbus to make the playoffs, but I think there's a good chance they surprise this year. Statistically, they had awful luck last year and should have had a considerably better record. Their goaltending really let them down, too. They play very hard and their defense is nothing to sneeze at. If guys like Atkinson, Johansen, and Foligno can step up, or if Bobrovsky or Mason solidifies himself as a legit starter, they could be a bubble team. There's an even better chance if they deal Nash for a couple of NHL-ready guys to give them a more balanced attack. Yes, that's a lot of ifs, just like the Blues had to wrestle with for years before getting good, but sometimes enough ifs go right. I don't think they're locked in that cellar.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

I don't think Columbus is truly as bad as they looked this year. However, I don't see them finishing anywhere but last in the division barring disastrous circumstances for the rest of the teams. I also don't think the Blues will have as hard of a time finding goals as they did last year. A fully healthy Perron and ~50 games from McDonald would do wonders for the team, not counting the addition of Tarasenko and a (hopeful) bounceback from Stewart.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Hoooooly ****.

I'm stunned that Weber has signed an offer sheet

Old
07-19-2012, 12:20 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Hoooooly ****.

I'm stunned that Weber has signed an offer sheet
I'm not. I'm surprised that he was offered one. Nashville is screwed...Poor guys.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm not. I'm surprised that he was offered one. Nashville is screwed...Poor guys.
Well that too.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:35 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Just read through the first three pages on the trade board thread so haven't seen if any reporting is being done on Preds intentions, but they have to match, don't they? Blues would match for Pietrangelo. AAV ~7M a year for a guy likely to be a first pairing for 12-14 years of the deal and a Norris contender for many of those years? No brainer match IMO.

Edit – if Dreger is right that one of the years is 26M, and that Philly is attempting to get Nashville not to match with that kind of issue, it becomes more interesting. Cap wise it's a no brainer match. As a Blues fan it's always good to see your rival get worse, so I guess we'll see.

Last edited by PocketNines: 07-19-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 12:44 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I see Weber throwing a ***** fit and wanting out though. There's a reason he was being shopped.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Just read through the first three pages on the trade board thread so haven't seen if any reporting is being done on Preds intentions, but they have to match, don't they? Blues would match for Pietrangelo. AAV ~7M a year for a guy likely to be a first pairing for 12-14 years of the deal and a Norris contender for many of those years? No brainer match IMO.
But what does it say about Webers feelings about Nashville? If you believe Dreger, Poile has been trying to trade him.

Also we don't have an exact number, just that it's 100+. May not be ~7M.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yeah, but think about it this way. Signing that deal means he knows Nashville could actually match and then he's a Pred for life. He could have not signed the deal and then been UFA in a year (if a trade didn't happen first) and guaranteed getting out of Nashville. By signing the sheet, he gives the Preds the option to keep him for his whole career. I'd be a little cautious assuming we know what Weber wanted to do with the Preds.

I mean, he could have told Poile: "Look, I'm not signing with you next summer no matter what. So do with that info what you will." That basically guarantees a trade. If he really wanted out of Nashville, that's the easy way to do it.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
The Note
Unable To Even

How long does Nashville have to match?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

He's forcing Nashville's hand.

It doesn't sound like its the right way to go about but Joe Sakic seemed to turn out ok with Colorado and it certainly didn't hamper anyone's feelings about David Backes here.

But if it's true that he could be getting 26 million in the FIRST YEAR? That doesn't sound like something done thinking Nashville will match.

EDIT: Nashville has 7 days to match Note

Old
07-19-2012, 01:06 AM
The Note
Unable To Even

Thanks. Wow, right as I was about to go to sleep lol

Old
07-19-2012, 02:19 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Yeah, but think about it this way. Signing that deal means he knows Nashville could actually match and then he's a Pred for life. He could have not signed the deal and then been UFA in a year (if a trade didn't happen first) and guaranteed getting out of Nashville. By signing the sheet, he gives the Preds the option to keep him for his whole career. I'd be a little cautious assuming we know what Weber wanted to do with the Preds.

I mean, he could have told Poile: "Look, I'm not signing with you next summer no matter what. So do with that info what you will." That basically guarantees a trade. If he really wanted out of Nashville, that's the easy way to do it.
Unless he saw the writing on the wall with the CBA negotiations. I don't know what kind of grandfathering rules they might have, but if UFA years get extended, he could sign a one-year deal and still be restricted. Plus, with the opportunity to get a gargantuan signing bonus and/or front-load before they're eliminated or capped is probably very attractive, regardless of where he really wants to play. We're no longer in the realm of a few hundred thousand a year discount to play where you want; and we're suddenly talking tens of millions of dollars right now and 50+ over the first four or five years.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:17 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm not suprised. The Flyers think you can win it all by throwing all this $$$$$$ around at Free Agents

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
jimmykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I'm not suprised. The Flyers think you can win it all by throwing all this $$$$$$ around at Free Agents
After unloading Richards and Carter, I guess they had a salary hole to fill. Also, keep in mind that the Flyers haven't picked higher than 20th in each of the last 4 drafts. So they probably arent exactly giving up the most highly valued picks either.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote