HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Peak Performance?

Old
07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Best Peak Performance?

Inspired by a brief discussion in the Couturier versus O'Reilly thread, whom do you think held the greatest peak performance period from last season?

Keep in mind this is not an individual effort in one game or even a few games, but a stretch of time. We can debate semantics all we want, but the point of the thread is peak performance over a significant period of time. Somewhere around 10 games we'll put the cutoff, if you can create a substantial argument in favor of someone else with less games, by all means.

I personally believe that EJ's ~2 month stretch from mid-Jan to mid-March was the most dominant display of talent our team saw last season. Where he was quite literally unbeatable on the ice defensively (on an individual level, his partner weighed him down) and adding a physical kick to his game which saw him demonstrate #1 defender talent and a very promising future.

Other opinions?

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
I totally agree about EJ and is the best IMO. Someone could make the case for Hunwick after the trade deadline.

But one of most memorable peak games had to be Duchene's hattrick against Dallas. I watched it again on NHL network and he was absolutely unbelieveable in that game. IMO it rivaled Forsberg dominance a bit.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

As good as EJ and ROR were this year, I think Varly had them beat at his best.

Varly's best stretch was the months of February and March where he had 21 GP: 12-7-2 937% 1.90GAA. I don't think anyone comes close to that personally.I'm also not surprised EJ's best stretch collided with Varly's.

If anyone tries to argue Hunwick, I'm going to punch a kitten.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
As good as EJ and ROR were this year, I think Varly had them beat at his best.

Varly's best stretch was the months of February and March where he had 21 GP: 12-7-2 937% 1.90GAA. I don't think anyone comes close to that personally.I'm also not surprised EJ's best stretch collided with Varly's.

If anyone tries to argue Hunwick, I'm going to punch a kitten.
This is an interesting point. But I think that the actual benefit went the other way around (EJ's play helping Varly, more than Varly helping EJ). I could see a solid argument for it being mutually beneficial, but EJ's play stemmed from his physical dominance on the ice, not so much controlling the crease area or scoring a lot of points.

He would win the battle in the corner and just shrug a guy off him, carry it up ice and start a play in the offensive zone.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

I agree with EJ and in my opinion Varly is a very close 2nd.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:32 AM
PeterTheGreat

I agree with EJ to some extent but there was a stretch where Landeskog was in viking mode non stop. I think it was just after the all star break.

On a smaller scale, McGinns torrid goal pace after the trade deserves a mention.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:42 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Varlamov allowed 20 goals in 13 games between Feb 22nd and Mar 22nd

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
This is an interesting point. But I think that the actual benefit went the other way around (EJ's play helping Varly, more than Varly helping EJ). I could see a solid argument for it being mutually beneficial, but EJ's play stemmed from his physical dominance on the ice, not so much controlling the crease area or scoring a lot of points.

He would win the battle in the corner and just shrug a guy off him, carry it up ice and start a play in the offensive zone.
I can't say I disagree with you but it's really hard to vote against Varly. Those numbers are just so sexy. EJ was spectacular in those couple of months but he didn't have quite the impact that Semyon had IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:04 AM
CobraAcesS

I can't believe no one has given Landeskog credit for how he played in the second half when most rookies struggle. 14 goals in the last 40 games and some seriously clutch play. Like the game he played while sick.

#1 Landeskog
#2 Varlamov
#3 O'Reilly
#4 EJ

As far as our team goes and peak impact play. IMO

Landeskog put up 13 points in 10 games played from Feb 7th-27th. In fact he maintained a point per game pace from Feb 7th to Mar 17th, 20 points in 20 games (10G 10A). Then finished with 5 points in the final 8 games.

25 points in his final 28 games with 11G and 14A translates to a .893 PPG% and a 32G 41A 73P season over 82 games. Yeah.. I am excited to see what he actually does next year.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 07-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Ceremony
Party like it's 1959

Varlamov in February/March, easily.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:29 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I totally agree about EJ and is the best IMO. Someone could make the case for Hunwick after the trade deadline.

But one of most memorable peak games had to be Duchene's hattrick against Dallas. I watched it again on NHL network and he was absolutely unbelieveable in that game. IMO it rivaled Forsberg dominance a bit.
Hahaha it was close but nothing like a Forsberg dominant game. Forsberg beat you in all 3 zones, put up multiple points, rammed your head into the wall. Duchene had a great night no doubt but he wasnt "dominating"

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
The Kingslayer

Varlamovs Feb-March was some seriously good hockey.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:42 AM
avsman

If we get consistency out of all our young guys this team could be so dominant! But i have to say Varlamov and EJ were a tie for me. Oh and I'd agree that Duchene did dominate that game against dallas, he was always in the offensive zone and a threat everytime he was on the ice

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

My order:
Varly
Lando
EJ
Radar
Staz

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Varlamov's play after the all-star break was amazing.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Freaky Styley

After the All-Star break, Varly and Lando were our best players consistently. This is a reason why I can't wait to see them (hopefully) continue this strong play into next year.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:41 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Any one remeber how well Jiggy played late Dec-Early Jan.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I can't believe no one has given Landeskog credit for how he played in the second half when most rookies struggle.
Yeah, hard to argue with 13g+17a = 30 points in the final 34 games of the season, as a rookie. Within that stretch, there was a hot streak of 9+9 = 18p in 16 games from Jan 21 to Feb 27.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Varly post all star break. Watched the replay of the Avs/Rangers game the other day. Amazing performance.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

It's hard to pick between Johnson, Varly, and Landeskog. Johnson really came into his own and I remember thinking when it was questionable about him playing a game, that if he doesn't play we'll lose the game for sure. Felt the same way about Landeskog before the Anahiem game where he scored the game winner. Varlamov gets a vote as well as he was just outstanding in the last part of the season. Don't really know why he was playing like that but I was sure glad he was.

Honourable mention goes to Mr. Hunwick, loved his goal against the Rangers. And there was that one game where he skated faster backwards then the opposing player skating forwards.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I'm not really sold on that EJ hot stretch. I think it was us all wanting him to finally show his dominance so it clouded our judgement. Yes he played well but I think he can still be much better.

We haven't seen the best of him. Not by a long shot.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I'm not really sold on that EJ hot stretch. I think it was us all wanting him to finally show his dominance so it clouded our judgement. Yes he played well but I think he can still be much better.

This is the first positive post i've ever seen from you.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post

I think he can be better as well, but does that diminish how well he did play? When was the last time we saw a defenseman put up that solid of an effort in their own zone? Prime Foote?

Old
08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I think he can be better as well, but does that diminish how well he did play? When was the last time we saw a defenseman put up that solid of an effort in their own zone? Prime Foote?
It's been awhile but Skrastins-Clark had a tremendous year the first time they were paired together. What was it...05 or something like that?

But yeah, it's been a very long time since a true top pairing guy played that well in the d-zone for us.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
NHL33*

EJ's streak. He was practically unstoppable with puck possession at one point, both in the offensive and defensive zone. He would go into the corner and come out with the puck guaranteed...

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote