HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Aurora, CO Movie Theater Shooting

Old
07-21-2012, 02:13 PM
electricjib

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I posted my thoughts on the politics board, as they are not only somewhat political, but some may find them a bit controversial.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=133
Alot of this is true, but it really is still a tragedy all around.

Alot might disagree with me on this but this reminds me of previous government sting operations the FBI and others have done such as Fast and Furious or whatever the guns to Mexico ones was.

Especially considering there is a huge Arms control treaty coming up in a week or so...just saying.

I'm not saying it was our own government, trust me I rarely believe conspiracy theories or anything like that but this one is just way to odd. But with how close the treaty is, and the Obama administrations clear objective to limit the sales of fire arms and ammo this just lines up to me.

Especially the more i've read about the murderer, he like most of these reads as someone not in this mental state or personality. There is no way this guy did this on his own either. I was in the Army and the gear the guy had isn't just obtained even with the relaxed gun laws in Colorado.

Getting a 100 round drum for an assault rifle isn't the easiest thing to acquire. He had over 15 thousand in gear and supplies...this is a kid that is practically a professional student (sorry college students, thats what I call people who to go school for more then 5-7 years) with no job going for a PHD...that equipment isn't something you can just buy on loan.

Some of it requires different levels of clearance and training to acquire...

I know I feel awful for the people in Aurora, it is a tragedy, I used to live less than a mile from there and go to movies there regularly. I'm in shock like everyone else, I just can't believe he pulled an operation like this off. It wasn't like other shootings, the gear he had is just way to professional for someone that is unemployed....and no history what so ever...someone CLEARLY helped him.

I just feel its incredibly odd that it's right before the treaty coming down the pipeline...This gives them ground to stand on.

Gun control is important, and honestly its strong enough as it is. Things like this used to happen even more back during the prohibition with entire restaurants being mowed down. I think its important for people to remember that controlling guns weakens the people of this country. We as the people run this country(we are supposed to). Possibly losing the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS might be good in some ways, but its a loss of a freedom, that freedom gives you the right to protect your homes. I'm not ok with losing that right because someone else made the wrong call.

Sorry for the somewhat off political post.

This is a horrible thing, it's very sad. But I think simply taking guns from the people isn't the answer...which some people think needs to happen. Giving up a right is no the answer here.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post

Gun control is important, and honestly its strong enough as it is. Things like this used to happen even more back during the prohibition with entire restaurants being mowed down. I think its important for people to remember that controlling guns weakens the people of this country. We as the people run this country(we are supposed to). Possibly losing the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS might be good in some ways, but its a loss of a freedom, that freedom gives you the right to protect your homes. I'm not ok with losing that right because someone else made the wrong call.
How many rounds of ammunition and assault weapons do you need to protect your home?

As with any right there come responsibilities with it. You can't run into a movie theater and scream fire and it be defensible as free speech. What need do Americans need with assault rifles? Stricter gun control isn't necessarily a loss of a freedom.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
How many rounds of ammunition and assault weapons do you need to protect your home?

As with any right there come responsibilities with it. You can't run into a movie theater and scream fire and it be defensible as free speech. What need do Americans need with assault rifles? Stricter gun control isn't necessarily a loss of a freedom.
I agree completely, this is why i'm saying he didn't act alone. I'm not saying anyone needs 10 magazines of ammo for each weapon in there home. IMO alot more than a background check should be done to even be able to buy ammo. Most Assault rilfes aren't even Automatic. Unless you have a class 3 permit you can't own a full auto weapon.

To get that permit or even be approved you have to pay a hefty fee, and also get approved on the Local and Federal government levels, which is almost impossible for even Veterans of the military.

I can buy an assault rifle such as an AR-15 at Dicks or Big 5...even some walmarts, but honestly the stopping power of that round is less likely to be effective unless hit in the correct place than many hunting rifles...

Should we stop people from buying hunting rifles? It provides food for some, and protection for others. Some people its sport/hobby.

The point i'm making is that the caliber of round in this weapon in particular could be argued to be less effective than a decent number of big game hunting rifles...and if bought buy a citizen wouldn't be full auto...

I see no problem with people owning assault rifles. The problem here is if he had a full atuo weapon, which I really question since there hasn't been a full report on it, or atleast a reliable one, someone with the ability to provide it for him got it to him. The guy had no money, no job...and no weapon registrations.

I agree with you on all your points and see what your saying but the problem isn't the type of rifle here. Just because it looks scarier doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Good posts, jib.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Freaky Styley

I'm sorry, but I don't understand Americans' need for guns. What are you "protecting" yourselves from? Other people with guns? We get along fine in Canada without them, all they do is instill fear and danger. If no one has the right to bear arms, it means no criminals have access to guns (or it is extremely hard to obtain them).

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand Americans' need for guns. What are you "protecting" yourselves from? Other people with guns? We get along fine in Canada without them, all they do is instill fear and danger. If no one has the right to bear arms, it means no criminals have access to guns (or it is extremely hard to obtain them).
This is one of the sites he used to get his gear

http://tacticalgear.com/

Why someone would need any of this is crazy. Some of these people don't realize the difference between video game and real life. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse in future generations that have grown up living 3 feet in front of the TV playing Call of Duty 24x7.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
electricjib

Quote:
That has happened before....They did this during the prohibition to keep gangsters from getting Tommy Guns and BAR's. That didn't work out, they actually had to increase the amount Police officers could have to rival the amount the gangsters could obtain.

America is not Canada. Canada is not America. Things like this happen in Canada too.

I have alot of Could happen reasons I could give you. Personally I own weapons because I shoot with my brother for sport and competition.

If there is a will there is a way. Taking away the right of the people weakens them. The govt having to much power (which controls the military) and no people having weapons is not a good situation if anything were to ever arise. I want to know if anything goes wrong I can protect my family. I'd rather be prepared than controlled and limited because someone else wasn't checked out or tracked properly. Guns only instill fear in situations like this.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
I hate guns. I will never own a gun. Ever.

But even I don't support outlawing guns. Sure, if we'd never made guns ever I'd be all for not ever making guns. But now that they're out there and in such large quantity, everyone should be allowed to buy one if they feel safer with one. You're always going to be able to obtain a gun from now on, just like you're always gonna be able to obtain coke or smack. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that somebody that really wants it won't be able to get it.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Bonzai12

I hate guns, but I do want to buy one.

The only reason I want one though is to protect myself when I am camping. And one of my friends suggest that I buy a powerful guy and load about 2-3 blanks and one bullet into it. Most animals will run after hearing the blanks, but if it doesn't then you have a bullet (or two) in there to protect yourself.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victim's and their families in Aurora. Such a terrible tragedy.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:49 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

The only reason I want one though is to protect myself when I am camping. And one of my friends suggest that I buy a powerful guy and load about 2-3 blanks and one bullet into it. Most animals will run after hearing the blanks, but if it doesn't then you have a bullet (or two) in there to protect yourself.
How many wildlife attacks are there in Colorado? I'm curious.

I live in a rural part of Canada where you see Bears in your backyard on a weekly basis. They fear us more then we fear them.

I'd much rather have a no gun law then owning one myself. Imo it just makes it so much easier to go on a killing spree like this because of the gun mentality in general. Yes, you can't buy an automatic at your local walmart, but that besides the point.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Westboro Bapstist church might come to picket.
Probably the worst people in the world, tbh.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Guns is a lot like abortion. Majority of society disagrees with it, but it's something a free country has to uphold.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:13 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Probably the worst people in the world, tbh.
Lol, you still read the news about them? Sounds like desperate people trying to gain attention, them and bill maher.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

Protect yourself from what? I ask because I work as backcountry guide, and I would never knowingly let someone carry a firearm on a trip I lead. It's completely unnecessary, especially in a wilderness area, park, or forest service land. Do you really want to shoot at a black bear drawn to you by food that you left out? Because that's just about the only probable example I can think of, and I feel like firing a few rounds off is just about the dumbest example of how to handle that sort of situation.

As for gun control in general, Colorado is operating under a fundamentally flawed system (or, really, lack thereof). The 'Make My Day' law, knee-jerk as it is, causes a hell of a lot more issues than it resolves. Also, in most states, 2 rounds from any single gun must be fired and submitted to the state for ballistics records. Thus, you should create something resembling a fingerprint database that the state can use to match up any sort of ballistic evidence that might come in from a case a lot less egregious than this. I'm not saying we need to repeal the Second Amendment; culturally though, way too many Americans are desensitized to the real force of guns, and when they're easy to get a hold of and difficult to track, senseless, avoidable events are a lot more likely to take place.

Hear me out: it's not the law that's at fault here by any means. It’s hard to prevent someone who is really bent on committing a crime from getting there hands on common weaponry like this. But the laws are lax in this state, and I just don't think it makes a whole lot sense why that should remain the case.

Last edited by madman: 07-21-2012 at 06:53 PM.
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Sgarbossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
How many wildlife attacks are there in Colorado? I'm curious.

I live in a rural part of Canada where you see Bears in your backyard on a weekly basis. They fear us more then we fear them.

I'd much rather have a no gun law then owning one myself. Imo it just makes it so much easier to go on a killing spree like this because of the gun mentality in general. Yes, you can't buy an automatic at your local walmart, but that besides the point.
Just last Wednesday someone had to shoot an aggressive black bear in Estes Park. That makes no difference though. The right to bear arms is a basic tenet of our country's history. Here in the states, the 2nd amendment is a pretty big deal.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:32 PM
chet1926

I'm going to way in on this for the first time.

What happened absolutely sickens me. What kind of world do we live in where a nut job goes in and open fires on a bunch of helpless humans at a movie theater where people go to have fun. That guy needs to be hung or put in front of a firing squad so he taste his own medicine, I'm not even joking about that. That guy doesn't deserve to live a moment longer. I feel awful for the families who are dealing with this. No one should have to deal with this garbage, nor should anyone ever have to fear something as simple as going to a movie. There is special place in hell reserved for him.

Now for my thoughts on topics associated with this shooting.

Reading through this it looks like a bunch of people are clamoring for more strict gun control, and let me tell you something changing the law to something more strict isn't going to change a thing. In fact it probably would make things worse. Think about it logically anything that is made illegal like drugs or underage drinking makes people want to do it more.

This psychopath had a clean record and went and purchased everything he did legally, its not like he went black market, he was checked just like everyone else and he passed. Unfortunately he had obvious mental problems and used his legally purchased weapons for something unspeakable.

The other side of the of this is there a hundreds of thousands of people out there who buy guns every year and don't do this kind of ****. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and that's what happened in this situation. You're kidding yourself if you think that changing the gun law would have prevented this tragedy or even made it more difficult for him to pull off. This ******* would have just obtained the guns illegally, just like people buy drugs or underagers get a hold of alcohol, he would have found a way.

I don't own a gun nor do I have a desire to own one but they aren't the problem. So don't blame the gun or gun control, blame the human being who was deranged and an obvious psychopath much like Ted Bundy or the Unibomber.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:42 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Protect yourself from what? I ask because I work as backcountry guide, and I would never knowingly let someone carry a firearm on a trip I lead. It's completely unnecessary, especially in a wilderness area, park, or forest service land. Do you really want to shoot at a black bear drawn to you by food that you left out? Because that's just about the only probable example I can think of, and I feel like firing a few rounds off is just about the dumbest example of how to handle that sort of situation.

As for gun control in general, Colorado is operating under a fundamentally flawed system (or, really, lack thereof). The 'Make My Day' law, knee-jerk as it is, causes a hell of a lot more issues than it resolves. Also, in most states, 2 rounds from any single gun must be fired and submitted to the state for ballistics records. Thus, you should create something resembling a fingerprint database that the state can use to match up any sort of ballistic evidence that might come in from a case a lot less egregious than this. I'm not saying we need to repeal the Second Amendment; culturally though, way too many Americans are desensitized to the real force of guns, and when they're easy to get a hold of and difficult to track, senseless, avoidable events are a lot more likely to take place.

Hear me out: it's not the law that's at fault here by any means. Itís hard to prevent someone who is really bent on committing a crime from getting there hands on common weaponry like this. But the laws are lax in this state, and I just don't think it makes a whole lot sense why that should remain the case.
Alot of it is preparedness. If **** hits the fan at some point in time I want to know I can defend my home. But in my case its not so much about protection. If people want to break into our house the likelihood of getting to a weapon and ammo quick enough could be subject to safely stowing your weapon, you already have the underhand if you actually smart about this.

The laws in Colorado are fine. This comes back to my statement before. This insidence is being portrayed that this guy picked up all his gear on the internet and from some store. And making people think that OH NO, Create mass panic, Billy Bob can go to WalMart and come back and kill everyone. That is not the case, but how it is being spun. It took him 4 months to acquire gear, obviously there are back channels involved since some of the gear requires federal approval and permits. Neither my brother or myself have these permits without proper training and time taken (usually longer than 4 months, more like a year). And my brother is current military and i'm former. He had help. Changing laws won't prevent this from happening in the future.

I don't even know why you made a ballistics argument here. The guy turned himself in to the cops. Every other incident that has happened like this the killer has shot himself...heck the guy cared enough to tell the police his apartment was booby trapped.

Getting ballistics samples from purchase won't help much to be honest, sure in the perfect case it will, but so many guns are manufactured off the same line you can have 100 guns with matching samples, and 100 guns could go to 20 different states and 75 different cities. And criminals in states that know they buy a gun and that there ballistic samples are in the authorities hands will likely find/steal or acquire a weapon another way. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I just feel the clamps on what this country used to have as far as rights goes is already being taken from the people. Why do it more when this incident really wouldn't be a case it would've helped in.

Protection from firearms is more a mindset IMO. I have no problem with people purchasing weapons. Honestly IMO the best approach is make there be a premium tax/price on weapons to make it harder to obtain to the average joe. This is an approach taken in multiple professional industries such as Photography/Filmmaking. Charge higher prices and rates to prevent the average person from stealing work because they can afford the product. If it can't be obtained at a hobby price it stays in the hands of professionals. Possibly a similar approach to weapons?

Old
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
The other side of the of this is there a hundreds of thousands of people out there who buy guns every year and don't do this kind of ****. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and that's what happened in this situation. Your kidding yourself if you think that changing the gun law would have prevented this tragedy or even made it more difficult for him to pull off. This ******* would have just obtained the guns illegally, just like people buy drugs or underagers get a hold of alcohol, he would have found a way.
Also, you could think that why are people not demanding taking out the right to own cars? Those kill people at least as much as weapons do (well, outside of serious warzones anyway). Cars very rarely kill if you drive like you are supposed to drive.

Or the same thing with kitchen knives. It's not very hard to commit a mass murder with those either, just pick targets a bit more carefully (Holmes shot a six year old kid, go from there). Pretty rare people are banning those.

Or lighters / matches. Again, easy to kill people and no-one wants to ban those.

So I totally agree with you, it's people that kill and they use whatever they can as weapons. Weapons are stupid, they never kill anyone unless you use them for that. While you say that people want to do what's forbidden (I can't deny that one either), I just think that that rules are mostly for people who wouldn't break them anyway. I for one wouldn't either kill people or sell heroine even if it would be totally legal - because both are just wrong.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Guns is a lot like abortion. Majority of society disagrees with it, but it's something a free country has to uphold.
Like Iceland and Denmark, right?

It's a myth that one has to have guns for an ostensibly free society.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Every other incident that has happened like this the killer has shot himself
Neither Hiltunen nor Breivik killed themselves. My guess is that if you want attention, you don't kill yourself (otherwise you won't be able to "enjoy" about that attention). If you want to just kill everything that moves, then you kill yourself too (like Saari and Auvinen for example did).

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Bonzai12

Heartbreaking stories in this...

http://kdvr.com/2012/07/21/victims-remembered/

A guy covering his girlfriend and dies....A 6 year old.......A mother of maybe 3 children?....A guy celebrating his birthday.....

I feel so horrible for their families.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'm going to way in on this for the first time.

What happened absolutely sickens me. What kind of world do we live in where a nut job goes in and open fires on a bunch of helpless humans at a movie theater where people go to have fun. That guy needs to be hung or put in front of a firing squad so he taste his own medicine, I'm not even joking about that. That guy doesn't deserve to live a moment longer. I feel awful for the families who are dealing with this. No one should have to deal with this garbage, nor should anyone ever have to fear something as simple as going to a movie. There is special place in hell reserved for him.

Now for my thoughts on topics associated with this shooting.

Reading through this it looks like a bunch of people are clamoring for more strict gun control, and let me tell you something changing the law to something more strict isn't going to change a thing. In fact it probably would make things worse. Think about it logically anything that is made illegal like drugs or underage drinking makes people want to do it more.

This psychopath had a clean record and went and purchased everything he did legally, its not like he went black market, he was checked just like everyone else and he passed. Unfortunately he had obvious mental problems and used his legally purchased weapons for something unspeakable.

The other side of the of this is there a hundreds of thousands of people out there who buy guns every year and don't do this kind of ****. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and that's what happened in this situation. You're kidding yourself if you think that changing the gun law would have prevented this tragedy or even made it more difficult for him to pull off. This ******* would have just obtained the guns illegally, just like people buy drugs or underagers get a hold of alcohol, he would have found a way.

I don't own a gun nor do I have a desire to own one but they aren't the problem. So don't blame the gun or gun control, blame the human being who was deranged and an obvious psychopath much like Ted Bundy or the Unibomber.
He doesn't deserve the right to live any longer?

Tell me, what gives one the right to live?

Or, more expressly, what gives one the right to forfeit another's life for some imaginary concept of justice? (and yes, "justice" is imaginary).

Killing someone who is already in police custody and has literally no chance of ever getting out of prison has nothing to do with if you should be terrified next time you hit up the theater.

With regards to gun control, if guns could be regulated in the absolute sense, I don't think that there is much of an argument to be made that gun control is in some way (actually, in many ways) effective, as we have seen time and time again in other countries.

That stated, there is and will continue to be an American black market for firearms, and one that will continue to pump guns into our society.

There is a reason why study after study pertaining to gun control is inconclusive, because it's actually impossible to control guns in America.

And you're right, guns don't kill people, they just make killing easier.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
He doesn't deserve the right to live any longer?

Tell me, what gives one the right to live?
Perhaps not taking someone elses life, or in this case, a dozen people.

What gives him the right to live when he's taken away a dozen peoples right to live?

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

This tradgedy has been on my mind since I heard about it. Prayers go out to the victims and loved ones and all of Metro Denver.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote