HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kulemin 2-year deal

Old
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

vCash: 500
Kessel, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Kulemin, Gardiner, Reimer and Frattin all UFA/RFA's in 2014.

I know Komisarek will most likely be booted out the door, but there are a lot of potentially big raises forthcoming.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

@Berger_BYTES: Nik Kulemin works hard but he reminded me, last season, of Jonas Hoglund the year after he scored 29 for #Leafs. We'll see.

Don't get ******** by this comment. It's just one opinion.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Based on the best option for the leaf is either 1 year deal where he is still an RFA.
Or a multiyear deal where the player is locked in at fair non-UFA inflated rate.

The two year deal has him expire a UFA and the leafs lose leverage over the controlled asset.
There is no CBA after September, so we cannot determine when anyone becomes UFA.

You may have missed, but the Owners have put forth 10 year requirement for UFA status.

The correct answer is, we don't know when Kulemin is going to be UFA.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
@Berger_BYTES: Nik Kulemin works hard but he reminded me, last season, of Jonas Hoglund the year after he scored 29 for #Leafs. We'll see.

Don't get ******** by this comment. It's just one opinion.
I'm so glad that Berger got canned. He was the one that paved the way for all of the sensationalistic a-hole reporters in this town like Simmons, Strachen, Feschuk etc.

Now look at him. Writing on his blog trying to butter up Leafs Nation and get in their good books once again. Absolutely pathetic.

I thought that we were all "a bunch of clapping seals" according to him??

I guess he has seen the error of his ways.

Good riddance.

Darkhorse1280 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
There is no CBA after September, so we cannot determine when anyone becomes UFA.

You may have missed, but the Owners have put forth 10 year requirement for UFA status.

The correct answer is, we don't know when Kulemin is going to be UFA.
Sure the correct answer is we don't know. That doesn't mean one or two or multi-year deal is any more optimal.

And that is like saying well Weber's 14 year contract may be rolled back to 5 years so no need to worry about his long term productive, because owners put forth a 5 year contract limit. However, if the CBA occurs like last time, players will be grandfathered by current CBA.

The two year contract to Kulemin is not the optimal position for the leafs to be in.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Berger also just wrote a blog about how Kessel needs to be traded before this team can move on and become contenders.

Not sure I really care what he has to say.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
I love this deal!!! and i love kulie!!! GREAT DEAL FOR THE LEAFS!! HE WILL HAVE A MONSTER SEASON THIS YEAR!!

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

A little too high for his performance last season, but low for his performance two years ago. He's a player I would love to keep around so it's a great day he is signed for another couple of years.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Sure the correct answer is we don't know. That doesn't mean one or two or multi-year deal is any more optimal.

And that is like saying well Weber's 14 year contract may be rolled back to 5 years so no need to worry about his long term productive, because owners put forth a 5 year contract limit. However, if the CBA occurs like last time, players will be grandfathered by current CBA.

The two year contract to Kulemin is not the optimal position for the leafs to be in.
Existing contract terms are likely to be grandfathered, but it's very unlikely that Free Agency ages will be, so we truly do not know when any given player in his prime will become a free agent. The Leafs could likely have secured Kulemin for a longer-term deal, but would have had to pay more for the privilege. Would you have been happier with Kulemin at $3.5 million for 4 years? (Actually, I would be - but I think I'm the exception rather than the rule in this case!).

This is a fair deal, and Kulemin has demonstrated that he's not motivated solely by money, and there's clearly a good relationship in place with Burke, Nonis et all. He should be a pretty straightforward player to re-sign in a couple of years, regardless of his FA status.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
pulkinator

Phaneuf, Kessel, and Kulemin will all be coming on UFA at the same time assuming we don't extend them before then

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Phaneuf is probably lookint at 6 million, Kessel around 7.5 - 8.5 (depends on performance and salary cap rise) and Kulemin probably 4-5 million if he pots 20 goals atleast

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Existing contract terms are likely to be grandfathered, but it's very unlikely that Free Agency ages will be, so we truly do not know when any given player in his prime will become a free agent. The Leafs could likely have secured Kulemin for a longer-term deal, but would have had to pay more for the privilege. Would you have been happier with Kulemin at $3.5 million for 4 years? (Actually, I would be - but I think I'm the exception rather than the rule in this case!).

This is a fair deal, and Kulemin has demonstrated that he's not motivated solely by money, and there's clearly a good relationship in place with Burke, Nonis et all. He should be a pretty straightforward player to re-sign in a couple of years, regardless of his FA status.
Ohio, first time I noticed your moder-ship. HoH board?

edit: Fantasy board I see. 'Grats.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
HocKEyFrEaK99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
Phaneuf is probably lookint at 6 million, Kessel around 7.5 - 8.5 (depends on performance and salary cap rise) and Kulemin probably 4-5 million if he pots 20 goals atleast
no way Kessel gets 8.5. unless he has another 2 years no center, and he keeps improving and hits 50 goals without that center, 7 - 7.5 i think will be the offer.

HocKEyFrEaK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

I thought that we were all "a bunch of clapping seals" according to him??

I guess he has seen the error of his ways.
He has. He even apologized to the seals.

dirk41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'd be very interested to see this line:

Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin

I know McClement was picked up, but Steckel doesn't need to be guaranteed a spot.

Everyone has McClement penciled into the 3rd. line, but his career high is 36 points 5 years ago. He's been 20 and 17 points the last 2 seasons. He isn't a 3rd. line player unless you expect nothing from the 3rd. line.

McClement could take the 4th. line and special teams.

Steckel has a career high of 19 points, has good face-offs and can't skate.
If Kadri does make the team, wouldn't mind kicking tires on the old Triple K line from years ago.

Kulemin-Kadri-Kessel

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Duffman955

Wow. Kulemin is a steal at 2.8

And to think Prust makes 2.5

This is why developing our own players will pay off.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:16 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Fair deal for Kulimen based on what his previous contract was.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:34 PM
The Velvet Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
Doesn't a 2 year deal take him to UFA? Would've rather seen him get 1 year and then a longer contract next year but the price is right.
the price aside, IMO i believe the 2 year deal was the best option for a few reasons;

1. 1 year could shake his confidence even more.

2. this will give us the ability to judge the next contract over 2 year period so we will see what he truly is hopefully... (last year 7g, year before 30g)... because his goal totals changed so dramatically across 2 seasons i think it is better for the organization to see what they are really getting before he gets that long deal. another 30g campaign may lead some people to try an offer sheet and/or a long term deal with <4.5mil cap hit and then he could just again drop his production and goal totals...

3. 2 years tells him that we have confidence in him and think he can perform, but also gives us the ability to just drop the contract if he doesn't pan out.

i do think that the 2 year deal was better for the LEAFS than is was for kulemin.. but it will show if he can get back his his old self or cant make it back/is too inconsistent... he will at least be a good 3rd liner, but 3rd liners don't make 4.5 a year. ( shutup about Connolly :p )

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:40 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Wow. Kulemin is a steal at 2.8

And to think Prust makes 2.5

This is why developing our own players will pay off.
it's hard to compare an ufa and a rfa

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
it's hard to compare an ufa and a rfa
Ya, but its a former 30 goal scorer compared to a former 10 goal scorer

It just seems kind of funny to me

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Cmillz

If Kulemin can lay an open ice hit on Kaletta...if he can do much more of that he can win a lot of fans back. However, for 225 lbs of ripped Russian, he's a puss. AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocKEyFrEaK99 View Post
no way Kessel gets 8.5. unless he has another 2 years no center, and he keeps improving and hits 50 goals without that center, 7 - 7.5 i think will be the offer.
Kessel is gonna be asking for 8.5m + that you can bank on.

2 more years of sal inflation and IF the new CBA limits term length or BB is still here then Kessels contract will have to be compressed.

With no way to tail down the cap hit in the last 3/4 years like these retirement contracts we are seeing , we will be forced to match up with what the other elite players are actually bringing in for the first 5/7 years of their deals and thats about 8.5m ish, give 2 years of sal inflation and welllllllll.

He and his agent have already shown what they will do if they don't get what they want.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

What worries me is that it was a contract year for Kulemin. His one season to prove he really deserves the big bucks.
And the best he could do was 7 goals. Seven.

More than likely, his 30 goals was one extreme. 7 goals another. He'll meet somewhere in the middle and be like a 15 goal scorer.

His contract is probably a slight overpayment.
But not too bad. Which, for Burke, is pretty much the best compliment you can ever give. "Well, not a complete and utter disaster, for a change. Good job Burke!"

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Hyperglide

Good deal for both sides. I think the Leafs and Kulemin are both happy with this deal.

Hyperglide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
If Kulemin can lay an open ice hit on Kaletta...if he can do much more of that he can win a lot of fans back. However, for 225 lbs of ripped Russian, he's a puss. AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING.
Really? You sure about that? I've never seen him balk from going in the corners, or avoid contact. Sure, he's not a fighter but then again he wasn't drafted to be one.

Just because he doesn't have a mean streak, it doesn't mean he's a "puss". I would much rather him back checking and preventing goals, rather than plastering guys on walls and getting out of position...but that's just me.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote