HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

[#3] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#4] Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's the Stars' #3 prospect?
Bystrom 0 0%
Chiasson 23 54.76%
Dillon 5 11.90%
Eakin 2 4.76%
Faksa 11 26.19%
Fraser 0 0%
Glennie 0 0%
Nemeth 1 2.38%
R. Smith 0 0%
Stransky 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2012, 03:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
OK, now that's nuts. R. Smith is getting seriously underrated here all of a sudden, for no real reason that I can tell other than Gulutzan criminally misusing him.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
OK, now that's nuts. R. Smith is getting seriously underrated here all of a sudden, for no real reason that I can tell other than Gulutzan criminally misusing him.
I'm probably biased by a small sample size but I didn't care for what I saw from Reilly in Dallas or the prospect camp. I know that's not a representative sample but just looking at him at his current size, speed and skill I think he's at least one full AHL and probably two full seasons away and I see him as more of a second or third line winger. He's got NHL potential but I think he's behind the others on my list.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

I mean... he's made tremendous strides physically. He's the same size as Eakin. I don't think that's going to keep him out of the league as might've been the fear when he was drafted.

If we're talking about our actual #4s here... that's R. Smith for me. And I've hardly heard any mention of him. Dunno, maybe I just have a super-oddball list.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:55 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I intended to post about just that a few days ago. It seems like Reilly Smith has sort of fallen out of favor a bit with some fans. They definitely misused him and maybe he should have been left in college another season but the guy can score goals and I think his passing skills are underrated. I think hes at around 5 on my list.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'd have Guptill before R. Smith.
Was going to bring it up, re: the Smiths vs. Guptill because I was a tiny bit surprised to see Austin Smith > Alex Guptill from anyone. With all due respect of course, it's certainly up for debate. But as for the quoted, I've talked to one scout that believes that as well. Believes he's a better pro prospect, thinks he has a bigger upside than R.Smith. So, you're not alone.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'd have Guptill before R. Smith. Go look and compare their respective freshman year college numbers and see just how good Guptill was last year. Combined their first year in college Chiasson and Reilly had 39 points. Guptill had 33 on his own. They scored 15 goals. He scored 16 and was unarguably CCHA Fresman of the year. Guptill is dynamic and in two years he's going to be the guy everyone on this list is talking about. There's also no way A. Smith should be that high.
Chiasson and R. Smith both went straight to college after being drafted. Guptill played an extra year at a lower level. Reilly Smith is less than a year older than Guptill and yet completed two more NCAA seasons.

btw I dont think having Guptill that high is absurd or anything just think Reilly Smith is a better prospect right now. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Guptill show that he is better in the future.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I agree R Smith is underrated now. He had as much hype to him back in March as Chiasson does now. His call up and subsequent development camp have shown he's not quite as NHL ready as previously thought, so it's to be expected that excitement has dwindled a bit... BUT he still has all the tools and pedigree he had back on college, he just needs some AHL time. IMO needing seasoning is no reason to get down on the guy. His upside and talent are all still there.

I'd probably have him ranked right around Dillon. And agree Guptil should be under him but much higher than last year. Also I'd have Fraser above Reilly at this point just because he's proven he can be a 30g guy in the pros.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Id say Ritchie should be next followed by Guptill but I wouldn't be bothered either way.
Eh I don't think Ritchie should be anywhere near the top 10. I was really high on him last year but he really wasn't impressive whatsoever when I watched him this year.

Or were you not saying Ritchie should be 5th? I hope that's the case. I might not have Ritchie top 15.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

He's saying Ritchie should be added to the voting options next.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
My top 2 played out, looks like my #3 and 4 will be reversed though.

Chiasson and Faksa are pretty much interchangeable at 3 and 4 IMO. Similar types of players, Faksa has higher upside but Chiasson is a much safer prospect. I give Faksa the nod simply because he's a center, but strong cases could be made for both.

I don't really think that R. Smith is underrated, it's just that we've got other prospects we're drooling over now and he's kind of old news, not really special (to us) anymore. That said, I don't think he's a top 5 prospect for us anymore, but that's not any slight to him at all, simply a testament to how much great talent we've got at the top of our prospect pool.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:29 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I only was able to actually watch Brett Ritchie play 2 games last year, and I listened to several on the radio as well. From what I saw, it seems that the information talking about his developing defensive game was spot on. I don't know that's he's got the ceiling of a Chiasson or Faksa, but that's one dude I'd bet on having a decent career with Dallas or another NHL team.

I didn't attend camp this year, but all reports indicated he has one of the best shots of all the prospects so there's obviously some potential for offensive production. Regardless, he has the makings of a solid to above average defensive forward. Sure that's not sexy, but you need those guys.

I don't really know where to slot him in yet. I haven't put much thought into the rest of the rankings.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:55 PM
BigG44

I guess my next group after the first three would be: Brenden Dillon; Cody Eakin; Radek Faksa; Scott Glennie; Alex Guptil; Patrik Nemeth; Brett Ritchie; Reilly Smith; Matej Stransky.

I think I'd break that down to a first group of Dillon, Faksa, Glennie, and Nemeth. The back end of that group would be Guptil, Ritchie, R. Smith, and Stransky. Cody Eakin is a bit of a wild card. Of those players he's not the best, but he's not the worst either. He's not been on my radar so it's hard to slot him in an exact spot right now, but I feel like he should be Top 12.

I left Fraser out of this group only because of skating and defense. Those are things he could easily overcome this year or even this summer. I just want to see it first. It's not uncommon for established goal scorers at the AHL level to have skating issues stopping them from becoming regular NHLers. To be fair, most of them don't breakout as rookies like Fraser did. I'm still really excited about him, and I'm not too worried about the skating/defense. I just think there's slightly more risk with him than the first 12 guys I've named.

I think the Top 3 and next 9 guys I listed have better physical tools that will translate better at this moment to the NHL. Plus at 22 years old, there's a slight concern at this point he hasn't already shored up the skating. For me, I look at Chiasson who is close to him in age. Alex had significant skating issues which probably contributed to him being a 2nd rounder. He's already made huge strides in that area of development. Same thing goes for Jamie Benn. His skating was very poor in his teens, but he had turned that part of his game around by the time he was 20. So while I do have confidence Fraser can turn his skating around, I would have liked to see bigger improvements by now. I allowed the issue to have him slip down my rankings just a bit. I think he's clearly #13 for me though.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
BigG44

After making that point about Fraser, I think I'd have to pencil in Stransky at 12. His biggest weakness is clearly his shot. Again ... that's something that you can fix, but it's also something that if you don't take it seriously and address the issue it hold's back your future in the NHL.

If I'm going to use Fraser's fixable but potentially fatal flaw to rank him 13, I need to the same with Stransky at 12.

I also think I've decided on Radek Faksa at 4. On the low end, he can be an excellent shutdown defender like Martin Hanzal. That's not great in terms of what we hope he can be, but I have little concern he can at least be that type of player in the NHL.

More likely, I think he could be a Ryan O'Reilly; 50 to 60 point two-way center. I think that's realistic and not expecting too much.

On the high end, if Dallas truly lucks out, I think the Eric Staal, 30+ goal, 40+ assist comparisons could be possible.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:37 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
After making that point about Fraser, I think I'd have to pencil in Stransky at 12. His biggest weakness is clearly his shot. Again ... that's something that you can fix, but it's also something that if you don't take it seriously and address the issue it hold's back your future in the NHL.

If I'm going to use Fraser's fixable but potentially fatal flaw to rank him 13, I need to the same with Stransky at 12.

I also think I've decided on Radek Faksa at 4. On the low end, he can be an excellent shutdown defender like Martin Hanzal. That's not great in terms of what we hope he can be, but I have little concern he can at least be that type of player in the NHL.

More likely, I think he could be a Ryan O'Reilly; 50 to 60 point two-way center. I think that's realistic and not expecting too much.

On the high end, if Dallas truly lucks out, I think the Eric Staal, 30+ goal, 40+ assist comparisons could be possible.
noone goes on post streaks like you!
stranskys skating is still a bit of an issue at this point too, right?

Old
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Didn't know where else to put this, but Mark has a fantastic article about Chiasson on the Stars main site:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote