HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we adress #1 C internally, WHO is the ideal candidate?

View Poll Results: Who should be our "internal" #1c?
James Van Riemsdyk 46 22.12%
Joe Colborne 25 12.02%
Nazem Kadri 94 45.19%
Tim Connolly 10 4.81%
Tyler Bozak 33 15.87%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-21-2012, 02:38 AM
pucci2001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
How about this line-up.

Lulpul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Grabovski/MacArthur
Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin
Brown/McClement/Steckel
Extras..Connolly/Lombardi
I prefer:
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin(comeback season, hard line to play against)
CMac-Bozak-Frattin
Brown/Komarov-McClement-Steckle
With Connolly and Lombardi being extras.
That being said I'll be surprised if they don't shed a winger somewhere before the season begins especially if Kadri doesn't pan out at C. Also I think Kadri has to be able to win close to 50% of his draws before he can be a viable #1 Center and he was pretty weak on the draw last year when he was in on it.
Also I could see CMac on his way out before the season starts and most likely Connolly starting as our 1C, after all its a contract year for him.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:39 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
In a few years we'll have our own Jumbo Joe and Ribeiro

I wish, would be nice lol

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:45 AM
pucci2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
This line actually intrigues me...other than Kadri, it would be a ***** to play against physically.
Have you watched Kadri play? The kid might be a lightweight but he hit hard when he gets chances, people will have to keep there heads up with him bearing down on them. He doesn't back down, he has a chip on his shoulder.

I am from London, watched him play here tons...he likes being physical plays a great pest role.

Edit: I am a big fan of Kadri, I know he has some flaws in his game but if Wilson would have gave the kid a full season last year people would have saw the potential that is there. I am not saying he would be a savior or be a perfect player but he deserved a spot on that team last season and was screwed over, he could have played in the AHL like Gardiner did at the end of the season too. This is my opinion, hopefully he gets to play a season before they consider trading him, even his hands just for shoot outs is totally worth it for the leafs since the only have a couple people who can dangle.

Last edited by pucci2001: 07-21-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Adding
pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:47 PM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

I think Bozak is still our best option internally, at least to start the season. Then we will see.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Duffman955

I think a triple-K line of Kulemin-Kadri-kessel may actually work.

Playmaker: kadri/Kessel

Sniper: Kessel

Board play/net presence: Kulemin

I basically see this as an upgrade of the KBK line.

Kadri needs to play one full season with the leafs to see where he is at. I see kadri as a kriejci/ribeiro type player and they all needed around 4 seasons before their break through NHL season.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:14 PM
BraveCanadian

None of them is the ideal candidate for a #1.

That is why we need one in the first place.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Circumstance turned Bozak into a first line guy, and he's been a pretty safe guy to throw out there to kill a penalty and chip in here and there every now and then, but let's be honest, Kadri's offensive IQ trumps Bozak's. Kadri in a Carlyle system which is similar to the one he has been playing in for a while with Eakins will be massively beneficial going to the next level. Why not put him with the best possible players to see what it is we exactly have here? I for one think he will absolutely come out flying when there's confidence in him and it will translate throughout the entire lineup. Something along the lines of,

Lupul Kadri Kessel
JvR Grabo Frattin/MacArthur
Kulemin/Komorov Bozak/Connolly Frattin/MacArthur
Brown/Komorov Steckel/McClement Steckel/McClement <-Have two guys who can win the draw regardless of being thrown out of the dot.

That's not too bad. Still we have the dead weight of Connolly and Lombardi, but the summer isn't over and fall is coming right around the corner.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Drakkor

This is starting to feel like the search for wingers for Sundin. The fucus shouldn't be completely on a first line center but to ensure the second and third lines provide the support to the first line.

If Grabovski's line can repeat the season from two years ago it forces the other teams to over shift their top defencemen or choose a line to focus on shutting down.

IMO biggest mistake by management wasn't trying to build a great second line during Sundins time here. (They may have tried but not accomplishing it would be the better way to put it )

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
LeafsAllDay

I'd say Bozak is the best current #1 C we have in our system. If we are addressing this internally I would use Bozak now but I would try to groom Kadri into the #1 C by playing him on line 3 but getting a taste of playing with kessel and lupul on PP1. Bozak never really did contribute much on the PP anyways and Kadri is an offensive player so I think it makes sense. It also gives us 3 lines that can score.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Macarthur
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin/Connolly(while Frattin is out)
Brown-McClement-Komarov

PP
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Macarthur/Kulemin/Connolly

scratches: Steckel, Lombardi, Connolly

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:12 PM
glasses91

id vote kadri if i could! either you love em or hate him and id be devastated if he got traded.

kessel can find chemistry with anyone i dont think he has to play with lupul..

jvr-kadri-kessel-->snipes like wesley
kule-grabo-frattin-->run like thoroughbreds
mac-mcclement-lupul-->600lbs with handles
lombo-bozak-brown-->LMAO crazy right?
orr,damigo,colborne,ashton, whos kamarov?

not a steckel fan even with his 7ft stick..
i used to like connolly when i myself played hockey years ago..

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:00 AM
thewave

Grabo is the best 1C on the team, great defensively, high corsi. Absolutely ******** if they dont give it a real shot. He has highly underrated playmaking ability.

Connolly is a great 2C, despite what the haters say, he is a great player.

Lombardi, Bozac, Steckel, Mcclemment, Colborne all have to work for spot or in some cases be shipped off. I am not sure of their values now in trade. Its really hard looking at the list I compiled, the first four all just are the same overall but not great in enough areas to truly justify top six.

Lombardi is quick with no finish, he could regain former form?
Steckel seemed good for providing safe minutes
McClemment was apparently amazing at pk
Bozak is sort of just run of the mill, mediocre 3 line stuff,maybe a little more rounded.
Colborne is untried but I like what I see so far.

Log jam?

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:19 AM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Information on Colborne's progression before his injury this past season would be helpful.

Club's best centerman ie best player at the position, is Grabovski with a significant enough gap to the second best to single him out. That doesn't mean he's the best centerman for Lupul and Kessel.

And really, as some coaches seem to be trending towards in working with pairs as opposed to trios, our concerns on the first line may be met in Lupul and Kessel. Perhaps, Bozak is our best fit as their center, and really if he hands in a solid defensive contribution,60-70 points and works 50+% in the dot...well...that's not that bad given we had two top ten wingers on the same line, right?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:30 AM
MorriPage

If Bozak can begin to consistently produce anywhere from 60-70 points a season, then I'd reconsider him as a legitimate #1 centre. But as it stands right now (and I am a Bozak fan, by the way), he is a #1 centre on this team due to a lack of any other viable options.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:06 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Bozak.

Getzlaf is the only UFA #1C I want in blue and white in 2013, so until then, Bozak will continue to be the stopgap this upcoming season.

I think we all hoped Connolly would be that #1 C, but he just doesn't have any chemistry with Lupes and Kess out there (see Richards and Gaborik for the same dilemna); and although I'd also like to see Grabovski up there also, there is not enough puck for him and Kess to dangle around on the same shift.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
KeziaTML

Mikhail Grigorenko was the ideal candidate.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:12 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Circumstance turned Bozak into a first line guy, and he's been a pretty safe guy to throw out there to kill a penalty and chip in here and there every now and then, but let's be honest, Kadri's offensive IQ trumps Bozak's. Kadri in a Carlyle system which is similar to the one he has been playing in for a while with Eakins will be massively beneficial going to the next level. Why not put him with the best possible players to see what it is we exactly have here? I for one think he will absolutely come out flying when there's confidence in him and it will translate throughout the entire lineup. Something along the lines of,

Lupul Kadri Kessel
From a defensive standpoint, this line is a Carlyle nightmare - at least Bozak could semi-reliably backcheck when he needed to. I have little faith that Kadri could do the same.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:46 AM
ALine

Connolly as a stop-gap until his contracts up, then try the free agency market once again. Nobody comes close to being able to fill that role, other than Grabovski.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:30 AM
gravyface

Grabovski: our best center should play on our top line.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:38 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Grabovski: our best center should play on our top line.
Tried it already. Didn't work.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:00 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Tried it already. Didn't work.
two seasons ago, for a handful of games and a handful of shifts last year.

Try it again. The long-standing theory is that Kessel and Grabovski are "puck hogs"; I give them more credit than that because both players are better now than they were then.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:24 AM
samwitch

Grabovski should be an option. If it's IDEALLY, I would think JVR.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:35 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Grabovski should be an option. If it's IDEALLY, I would think JVR.
Ideally, if we're working with what we have internally, JVR would be a fine choice, but I just can't see a guy who's in need of some consistency to stick as a top 6 forward, let alone centering our top line, making that leap in his first year on the team. His defensive game needs work, has what, 10 face-offs at the NHL level?

That's a tall order, IMO.

What I find interesting with Grabovski centering the top line (besides bringing some defensive responsibility to the top line) is that it makes the #2 hole so much more easier to fill.

You move Kulemin down to the 3rd line where he belongs to form a checking/shutdown line with Frattin and McClement and now you have room for a 2nd scoring/skill line that can be realistically centered by Bozak, Connolly, Kadri, JVR, or even Colborne: all five of those guys look so much better on the 2nd line.

Seeing as Caryle wants to build a top 6/bottom 6 team and the fact that he never said "we'll try JVR at center on the first line" it stands to reason that they're going to try Grabovski on the top line and leave our surplus of second-tier centers duke it out for the #2 hole.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:46 AM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Ideally, if we're working with what we have internally, JVR would be a fine choice, but I just can't see a guy who's in need of some consistency to stick as a top 6 forward, let alone centering our top line, making that leap in his first year on the team. His defensive game needs work, has what, 10 face-offs at the NHL level?

That's a tall order, IMO.

What I find interesting with Grabovski centering the top line (besides bringing some defensive responsibility to the top line) is that it makes the #2 hole so much more easier to fill.

You move Kulemin down to the 3rd line where he belongs to form a checking/shutdown line with Frattin and McClement and now you have room for a 2nd scoring/skill line that can be realistically centered by Bozak, Connolly, Kadri, JVR, or even Colborne: all five of those guys look so much better on the 2nd line.

Seeing as Caryle wants to build a top 6/bottom 6 team and the fact that he never said "we'll try JVR at center on the first line" it stands to reason that they're going to try Grabovski on the top line and leave our surplus of second-tier centers duke it out for the #2 hole.
Yeah, that's mainly why I hope Grabovski could fill in the #1 spot. If Connolly can stay healthy he would be a solid option as the #2C. Gives us more realistic options.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:05 AM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
From a defensive standpoint, this line is a Carlyle nightmare - at least Bozak could semi-reliably backcheck when he needed to. I have little faith that Kadri could do the same.
He's not going to have to do it himself though, and that's why I think it might end up working. An offseason of learning new systems will take some time to translate into wins and I'm sure there's going to be growing pains, but I think it's too early to write off the idea of this line just not working.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Note - this is obviously all my opinion:

JVR won't succeed as a #1C.
Kadri looks destined to be a winger.
Connolly won't be here this time next year.
Colborne has shown me nothing and I honestly think tops out as Steckel 2.0.

Therefore Bozak is the only choice we have until we acquire a #1.
This post kinda comes off as cynical, but I agree completely

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote