HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we adress #1 C internally, WHO is the ideal candidate?

View Poll Results: Who should be our "internal" #1c?
James Van Riemsdyk 46 22.12%
Joe Colborne 25 12.02%
Nazem Kadri 94 45.19%
Tim Connolly 10 4.81%
Tyler Bozak 33 15.87%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
gravyface

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
This post kinda comes off as cynical, but I agree completely
I agreed until he hit Colborne: he had a great first half of the season before playing through the wrist injury and has put up 5 points in 10 NHL games. Not mind blowing, but to write him off as a career 4th liner is a bit harsh considering the guy had a half inch grow spurt last year and is still filling out.

You watch this kid in 2-3 years; he's going to be a very capable top 6 center.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:28 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I agreed until he hit Colborne: he had a great first half of the season before playing through the wrist injury and has put up 5 points in 10 NHL games. Not mind blowing, but to write him off as a career 4th liner is a bit harsh considering the guy had a half inch grow spurt last year and is still filling out.

You watch this kind in 2-3 years; he's going to be a very capable top 6 center.
Would be nice...but he could turn out to be John Mitchell, (who IMO is a decent 4th line C.)

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
darrylsittler27

Colborne played with a fractured wrist.

Colborne -Jury is out on him but still think he can become good number 3 in time.

JVR a goal scorer as a center?

Kadri - dont see him on any number one line but good 2nd line winger with skills,needs right linemates.Lack of size and defense makes me question pressure of number 1 in To.

Grabo - seems perfect in that 2 slot.

Bozak - by default ,may improve still coming into 4th year and Kessel cant complain if he is the center.I could see Bozak topping out in the 55 pt range.

Connolly,wow where does hit fit now?Grabo and Bozak in front and newly signed McClemment(Sp?) at 3rd ,he is fighting with Steckel and Lombardi for 4th line checker?Something has to give at center,but who would want his contract?We have quantity but need a true number one C to make the playoffs..

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 07-22-2012 at 01:45 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I say it's James Van Riemdsyk. If he's able to handle playing Centre along with putting up around the same amount of points he had in the 2010-2011 season, it would be nice to see and he has the size Burke has been looking for to play at centre.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
TheOneArmedMan

Either Van Rymsdyk or Grabovski.

I hope Van Rymsdyk works out at center, and if not Grabovski in my opinion. If we can't trade for a center then replace him with Bozak. Grabo is much more skilled, can actually hit the net, and put up more points. Bozak is only between kessel and lupul because of chemistry. Put Grabs there and it probably won't take long before he produces.

Bozak is a 3rd line center at best and a decent power play guy.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:32 PM
devilishleafs

I dont know why Colborne would be a bust when the kid has been going thru constant body changes and a wrist injury on which he tried to play thru. I think he has a breakout year and camp, he will be on the roster and centering Lupal and Kessel. Kadri did the right thing finally by going to Roberts. Kadri I think stays along with Frattin. The kids are what the Leafs need.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:35 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
I dont know why Colborne would be a bust when the kid has been going thru constant body changes and a wrist injury on which he tried to play thru. I think he has a breakout year and camp, he will be on the roster and centering Lupal and Kessel. Kadri did the right thing finally by going to Roberts. Kadri I think stays along with Frattin. The kids are what the Leafs need.
Agreed: move MacArthur for picks, one of Lombardi or Connolly gets waived, the other gets moved at the trade deadline; try to acquire Bernier, without losing too much (D'Amigo and a 2nd or Frattin and a 3rd); keep Scrivens with the Marlies another year for another Calder run and as a call-up in case of injury; move Bozak for picks.

Lupul Grabovski Kessel
JVR Colborne/Connolly Kadri
Kulemin McClement Frattin
Lombardi Steckel Brown
Komarov

Reimer/Bernier
Scrivens

Old
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I say it's James Van Riemdsyk. If he's able to handle playing Centre along with putting up around the same amount of points he had in the 2010-2011 season, it would be nice to see and he has the size Burke has been looking for to play at centre.
I am not putting this on you personally but I find it funny how everyone thinks JVR is some significant upgrade in size over Bozak. Bozak has a very strong lower body so he is good at controlling and protecting the puck along the boards and tying people up in the faceoff circle. JVR isn't even that physical and doesn't fully utilize his size. I think Bozak plays very big for his size so I'm wondering, does this size difference really mean anything? And what if Bozak gained 5lbs?

current tale of the tape:
JVR is 6'3 200
Bozak is 6'1 195

Bozak has more of a pass first mentality while JVR is a shooter so having JVR centre Kessel and Lupul doesn't even make sense. Bozak is a natural C while JVR has spent all his time in the nhl on the wing. Like I said before, Play Bozak with Kessel and Lupul at even strength but play Kadri with them on the PP and if it's successful, give Kadri the #1C job full-time.

Last edited by LeafsAllDay: 07-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAllDay View Post
I am not putting this on you personally but I find it funny how everyone thinks JVR is some significant upgrade in size over Bozak. Bozak has a very strong lower body so he is good at controlling and protecting the puck along the boards and tying people up in the faceoff circle. JVR isn't even that physical and doesn't fully utilize his size. I think Bozak plays very big for his size so I'm wondering, does this size difference really mean anything? And what if Bozak gained 5lbs?

JVR is 6'3 200
Bozak is 6'1 195

Bozak has more of a pass first mentality while JVR is a shooter so having JVR centre Kessel and Lupul doesn't even make sense. Bozak is a natural C while JVR has spent all his time in the nhl on the wing. Like I said before, Play Bozak with Kessel and Lupul at even strength but play Kadri with them on the PP and if it's successful, give Kadri the #1C job full-time.

And Grabo makes the right play most of the time... I remember him setting up Kules and Frattin which they could not convert. Grabo can hit 80 pts, he is underrated by leafs fans. Mark my words!

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:54 PM
HenryH

Quote:

JVR is 6'3 200
Bozak is 6'1 195

Even if JVR is more of a shooter, it isn't really a problem as Kessel is pretty much as great of a playmaker as he is a sniper. Lupul himself makes a lot of passes also. One big reason why Kessel has been a PPG since getting Lupul is that now he finally has someone who can consistently put the puck in the net with his great passes. Bozak just isn't consistent enough to do that so JVR could work as it seems he is a better scorer than Bozak.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
And Grabo makes the right play most of the time... I remember him setting up Kules and Frattin which they could not convert. Grabo can hit 80 pts, he is underrated by leafs fans. Mark my words!
The reason I personally never consider Grabo for #1C is because he is very small, 5'11 182lbs, not that great in the faceoff circle and more of a goal scorer than a play maker. I think he fits in better as our #2C because we have bigger wingers who we can play with him and he can score 25G or so keeping more balance in our top 2 lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH View Post
Even if JVR is more of a shooter, it isn't really a problem as Kessel is pretty much as great of a playmaker as he is a sniper. Lupul himself makes a lot of passes also. One big reason why Kessel has been a PPG since getting Lupul is that now he finally has someone who can consistently put the puck in the net with his great passes. Bozak just isn't consistent enough to do that so JVR could work as it seems he is a better scorer than Bozak.
If Kessel can produce with Lupul, regardless of who is the #1C then wouldn't it make more sense to stick with Bozak and put JVR on the wing on Line 2? That way JVR can play his natural position and bring better balance to our top 6.

People aren't giving Bozak enough credit. He is smart, good defensively and good at faceoffs. If Lupul hadn't been injured and had kept up his pace he would have had 30g 80pts and it is highly like that Kessel and Bozak would have produced more as a result of his presence. If things ended up like that Bozak wouldn't being getting all this slack for being in the 50pt range because the line produced, somewhere around 85g. We had no secondary scoring last year. It is easy to overlook that because our top line scoring was so scewed by injuries. Hopefully the addition of JVR and a bounce back year from Kulemin can give Grabovski some support out there because last year, line 2 was all him!

Last edited by LeafsAllDay: 07-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:08 PM
HenryH

One thing that annoyed me with the top line was that all 3 forwards were right handed and during the powerplay, Bozak would be in the middle which I don't see being much useful when Kessel would have the puck at the side and makes a pass to Bozak and he can't do anything with it except touch pass it back to Kessel. With a lefty there, a quick shot would be an option there.

Bozak is just in the wrong role as the top C though and it's because the Leafs are weak up the middle and don't really have much options.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:31 PM
gravyface

Quote:
The reason I personally never consider Grabo for #1C is because he is very small, 5'11 182lbs, not that great in the faceoff circle and more of a goal scorer than a play maker. I think he fits in better as our #2C because we have bigger wingers who we can play with him and he can score 25G or so keeping more balance in our top 2 lines.

If Kessel can produce with Lupul, regardless of who is the #1C then wouldn't it make more sense to stick with Bozak and put JVR on the wing on Line 2? That way JVR can play his natural position and bring better balance to our top 6.

People aren't giving Bozak enough credit. He is smart, good defensively and good at faceoffs. If Lupul hadn't been injured and had kept up his pace he would have had 30g 80pts and it is highly like that Kessel and Bozak would have produced more as a result of his presence. If things ended up like that Bozak wouldn't being getting all this slack for being in the 50pt range because the line produced, somewhere around 85g. We had no secondary scoring last year. It is easy to overlook that because our top line scoring was so scewed by injuries. Hopefully the addition of JVR and a bounce back year from Kulemin can give Grabovski some support out there because last year, line 2 was all him!
Bozak's not good defensively, I'm sorry. Grabovski's not that far behind Bozak on the dot either.

I agree on JVR though: really don't see this guy making the enormous leap from top 6 tweener who needs to work on his consistency to #1 center saviour.

Last edited by gravyface: 07-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 09:58 PM
ElikMac
Rookie User

Kadri is too weak to be a number 1 Center. I find he keeps getting knocked off the puck to easily and to the ice a lot. He has the sticks skills but, just is too weak IMO. He can get better there, but I Prefer Colbourne just cause he has the size and 6'5, and can be a physical threat infront with Kessel and Lupul shooting it. He has to work a bit more on his offensive game and speed though.

ElikMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:03 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
lupul jvr kessel
kule grabo mac
kadri bozak frattin
lombo mcclemnt brown

future dreaming lines

jvr getzlaf kessel
ryan kadri ashton
d'amigo colborne frattin
ross bozak biggs

ryan for 3 first rounds getzlaf for 5 first rounds
buy a goalie for 8 first rounds

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo View Post
Maybe they should try Kessel again
We know for sure, that he did play C at UMinn.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Tak7

I don't expect the JvR experiment to really take off at all, to be honest. It's just so rare to see a winger get converted into a center, even though I know JvR had experience playing center in college.

I think the team is really hoping Colborne can make a push, but it's hard to really figure out what sort of projection he's on. Looked superb early last year in the Marlies but really struggled to keep that up.

As for the other options - Kadri as a center? I thought he had been pencilled in permanently as a winger now? And Connolly, please no

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
I don't expect the JvR experiment to really take off at all, to be honest. It's just so rare to see a winger get converted into a center, even though I know JvR had experience playing center in college.

I think the team is really hoping Colborne can make a push, but it's hard to really figure out what sort of projection he's on. Looked superb early last year in the Marlies but really struggled to keep that up.

As for the other options - Kadri as a center? I thought he had been pencilled in permanently as a winger now? And Connolly, please no
Not true. He was playing center the entire second half in the AHL.

07-23-2012, 03:48 AM
MorriPage

Slightly off topic but I don't understand why on earth it is apparently so difficult for Kadri to gain weight. A year ago, I was a 5'9", 135lb scrawny guy. I hired a personal trainer and I'm now up to 175lbs. It really shouldn't be that difficult for him.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Slightly off topic but I don't understand why on earth it is apparently so difficult for Kadri to gain weight. A year ago, I was a 5'9", 135lb scrawny guy. I hired a personal trainer and I'm now up to 175lbs. It really shouldn't be that difficult for him.
everyone has different metabolism and body. It can be difficult for others.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
everyone has different metabolism and body. It can be difficult for others.
Plus if you're on the ice a lot, you do a lot of cardio. This makes it hard to gain weight. But I think it is metabolisms that is the major factor.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:49 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
lupul jvr kessel
kule grabo mac
kadri bozak frattin
lombo mcclemnt brown

future dreaming lines

jvr getzlaf kessel
ryan kadri ashton
d'amigo colborne frattin
ross bozak biggs

ryan for 3 first rounds getzlaf for 5 first rounds
buy a goalie for 8 first rounds
I thought you had pencilled in Kenny Ryan on the 2nd, and I was very confused.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

If one looks at this line, Kulemin-McClement-Frattin, you have to question the reason to keep Kulemin and Frattin.

McClement has no offensive abilities going back to junior.

Kulemin has scored 30 goals, was RSL MVP, and has very good offensive abilities. Frattin's future is about scoring goals, and playing a solid game.

McClement should be assigned to the 4th. line. Just because the Leafs already have Steckel doesn't mean you just completely destroy two careers because you sign an unskilled UFA centerman and line him about between two players with offensive abilities.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

delete

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 07-23-2012 at 09:15 AM.
HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:54 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
I'm hoping JVR surprises us with some decent skills on the dot.

Kadri needs to be a wing.

Colborne has the potential but we need to see a healthy season out of him on the farm to know what we have.

Bozak seems to be a solid 3rd liner but has good chemistry with Phil.

Connolly can rot in the press box for all I care.
Why? Because he's not big enough? Or because of his defensive abilities?

He played arguably his best hockey in the AHL this year at center.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote