HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

If we adress #1 C internally, WHO is the ideal candidate?

View Poll Results: Who should be our "internal" #1c?
James Van Riemsdyk 46 22.12%
Joe Colborne 25 12.02%
Nazem Kadri 94 45.19%
Tim Connolly 10 4.81%
Tyler Bozak 33 15.87%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElikMac View Post
Kadri is too weak to be a number 1 Center. I find he keeps getting knocked off the puck to easily and to the ice a lot. He has the sticks skills but, just is too weak IMO. He can get better there, but I Prefer Colbourne just cause he has the size and 6'5, and can be a physical threat infront with Kessel and Lupul shooting it. He has to work a bit more on his offensive game and speed though.
Do you watch him in the AHL?

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I believe Zigomanis was the 1st. line centerman for the Marlies was it not?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

xxxx

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:12 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
To be fair AHLers are not NHLers.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Drew75

If the solution is to come internally, I think you'd have to look at Kadri or Colborne.

We've tried Connelly, Lombardi, and Bozak in the role, and none of them either have the "right stuff" for a #1 C (Bozak & Lombo), or have any connection with Kessel (Connelly).

JVR is just not going to work - he was moved to the wing early in his career for a reason. You need a #1 who is strong in the faceoff dot - there's no point having a Kessle & Lupul if they have to spend every shift chasing the puck from the other team.

That leaves Kadri & Colborne as the "unknown" entities. As much as the so called "experts" on these boards can project kadri as a "2nd line winger at best" or Colborne a "3rd line centre if he's lucky" ... the fact is we have no idea how much of a step forward in their development these two will take next year.

Both have the hands, hockey IQ, and skills to be a top 6 centre, but both have holes in their game they need to rectify before making that next step. Maybe one of them can do it this summer. Regardless what people, we just won't know until they step on the ice in September (if there IS a training camp then )

Kadri would bring mad skill and playmakinng ability. I think he may have trouble meshing with Kessel as both want to hold on to the puck too much - it's the same reason Kessel and Grabo aren't good together.

The more likely option I see is Colborne if he raise up his game enough after the surgery. He'd provide the size, puck protection, and cycling game that could perfectly complement the way Kessel and Lupul play. They can come in off the rush, and if it's not successful, Colborne can go get the puck back for them, go to the net to create havoc, or just help control the zone for longer with a solid cycle game.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Rinzler

I think it'll end up being between Colborne and Kadri but JVR is a real wild card. JVR has the high end skill and size required for a #1 C and if not for the plethora of Centers in Philly, he probably would have been given a real shot to play down the middle.

If JVR can pull it off, Kadri would fit in nicely as a top 6 winger as his size is a concern between Kessel and Lupul, though it's largely overstated.

If Colborne gets a bit bigger and faster this offseason he's got a great shot as well. Will make for an interesting situation to clear room though.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

#askpouly on mapleleafs.com said that "the coach wants to try JVR at center and theres your #1c if it works out, otherwise we will need to look at other options". Thus leading me to believe that the organization will not be looking to fill the center void until after they've given JVR a shot in that possition. Look for the leafs to acquire toughness in the top 6 and a goalie.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Faceoffs can be learned. JVR was moved to wing because of depth at center in Philly and because they wanted his size down the middle. There's no reason at this point to think he can't grow into the role, and I hope fans are patient enough to give him opportunity to learn on the job for the next season or two.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Faceoffs can be learned. JVR was moved to wing because of depth at center in Philly and because they wanted his size down the middle. There's no reason at this point to think he can't grow into the role, and I hope fans are patient enough to give him opportunity to learn on the job for the next season or two.
Exactly. Even if he's only a 40% faceoff guy, that's perfectly fine on the top line while he gets better over time. It's not like he'll be taking faceoffs predominately in defensive situations like the PK. We've got Steckel for that.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I say we trade Lupul, Franson, Macarthur and 2nd round picks for a couple of solid 1sts.. We tank, and have hope. Cuz right now I have 0 hope...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - Kadri
Frattin - Mcclement - Connolly
D'amigo - Steckel - Brown

2 or 3 lottery picks and TO Wins!

JVReemer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Count Von Grabo*

Cluster f at center

Grabo
Bozak
Mcclement
Connolly
Kadri
Lombardi
Steckel (Edit)

What will happen?

Could Kadri perhaps move to the wing? At least until Connolly breaks his hip bending down to tie his skates.

Grabo would be a good #2 center
Bozak, I like, but still has a lot to improve on.
Mcclement was a good pickup, should help in defensive situations.
Kadri hopefully makes his move this season, but another season in the AHL wouldn't bother me tbh.

Lombardi and Connolly are pretty much gone after their contracts. Could see Lombardi in the press box. If he's healthy could contribute. With Connolly it's just a matter of time before he is in the back of an ambulance.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
You forgot our best face-off man.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Count Von Grabo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
You forgot our best face-off man.
Fixed it. You can breathe now.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
Grabo
Bozak
Mcclement
Connolly
Kadri
Lombardi
Steckel (Edit)

What will happen?

Could Kadri perhaps move to the wing? At least until Connolly breaks his hip bending down to tie his skates.

Grabo would be a good #2 center
Bozak, I like, but still has a lot to improve on.
Mcclement was a good pickup, should help in defensive situations.
Kadri hopefully makes his move this season, but another season in the AHL wouldn't bother me tbh.

Lombardi and Connolly are pretty much gone after their contracts. Could see Lombardi in the press box. If he's healthy could contribute. With Connolly it's just a matter of time before he is in the back of an ambulance.
Kadri won't play center.....not strong enough. Lombardi was used on the wing last year as he will be there again this year. Connolly may also be on the wing until he's traded or waived.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
Fixed it. You can breathe now.
Lol, I'll take that as a thank you.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I say we trade Lupul, Franson, Macarthur and 2nd round picks for a couple of solid 1sts.. We tank, and have hope. Cuz right now I have 0 hope...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - Kadri
Frattin - Mcclement - Connolly
D'amigo - Steckel - Brown

2 or 3 lottery picks and TO Wins!
Wheres Lombardi?

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Kadri won't play center.....not strong enough. Lombardi was used on the wind last year as he will be there again this year. Connolly may also be on the wing until he's traded or waived.
Exactly. I think it's pretty clear, barring any moves (which there very well may be) it will be.

Bozak
Grabo
Mcclement
Steckel

or

Bozak
Grabo
Connolly
Mcclement/Steckel

Old
07-25-2012, 07:04 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Exactly. I think it's pretty clear, barring any moves (which there very well may be) it will be.

Bozak
Grabo
Mcclement
Steckel

or

Bozak
Grabo
Connolly
Mcclement/Steckel
Yes. No obvious ideal candidate, just the lesser of evils. Moving JVR out of position is worth a shot, but I am not convinced his overall game will make them much better than when Boz is there. If Bozaks fades that is a different story, and JVRs offensive upside has not been established, but I could see a real fix not coming until next season.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote