HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

700 lb Line (of the future)

Old
07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
We should get Bjugstad to center Kassian and Jensen. Kassian would be the shortest one of the line...
... he's taller than Jensen (closer to 6'2" whereas Kassian is closer to 6'4") ...

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Proto

I'd be happy with all three being regular NHL players, let alone playing on the same line.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
mrbitterguy

kassian could definitely fill out to 240+ lbs. the other two will likely top out at 220 or below. the biggest thing working against them all is the way the canucks train their players for extreme stamina and speed more than power.

still, it'd settle for a 680lbs kid 3rd line in the nhl next year.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
mstad101

Depending on how the Sedins turn out after this contract, this could be a 2nd PP unit.

These guys would dominate the Offensive zone with the down low cycle game. As long as Gaunce continues to develop and becomes a good faceoff guy, I could see this trio being a solid force.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Katani Kalan

I'd be pretty happy about having a bottom six of;

Jensen Gaunce Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian

Theres definately size on those two lines as well as element of speed with Hansen/Raymond for the forecheck.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I don't see them all together. As noted above, speed would be a serious problem. I think Jensen and Kassian skate okay for their size, but Gaunce's main issue is just that.
Skating is the easiest thing to work on. You can practice technique and build different muscle; you can't suddenly get smarter or magical hands.

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
billvanseattle

Actually in a few years we could seeing

Kassian Schroeder Labate (yes i know Labate is a enter)

Jensen Gaunce Mallet

Schroeder has 2 big boys to cover his size ... and JGM seems to be a beast line.

billvanseattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Basso

I'm liking the idea and immediately thought of the Penner Getzlaf Perry line. Time will tell, let's hope they all become regulars and produce some nice numbers in the next few years!

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'd be happy with all three being regular NHL players, let alone playing on the same line.
This. If one of them can become a 60 point, top 6 performer, that's a big win too. Realistic expectations FTW.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Shareefruck

Why not just Jensen - Kesler - Kassian?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Jrtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
I'm liking the idea and immediately thought of the Penner Getzlaf Perry line. Time will tell, let's hope they all become regulars and produce some nice numbers in the next few years!
I'd be ecstatic if they turned out to be as good as that line, but it just doesn't seem very likely. Perry is a proven goal scorer and while Jensen looks good, he's not likely to be that good. Getzlaf is 6"4 and is around 225lbs with awesome playmaking skills. Gaunce would need to exceed expectations to reach that status. Penner has had his ups and downs, but Kassian might be able to reach Penner's level of play (in Anaheim) and maybe even surpass that. We can only hope for the best and wait to find out...

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

Jensen Gaunce Mallet

Schroeder has 2 big boys to cover his size ... and JGM seems to be a beast line.
Might as well start off by putting the players in question in their natural positions, instead of
reversing most of the wingers:

Labate plays C and LW at Wisconsin, shoots left. Kassian is a right winger, shoots right.

Mallet plays C (shoots right). Jensen plays RW (hockeydb) but shoots left (ditto).

Wingers can switch sides, and centres can play wing, but by this time in their hockey careers
they and their coaches have usually identified a best or "natural" position, at least for starters.

However . . . despite being a prolific fixture for several years on the right wing of a famous line featuring recent Hart, Art Ross, and Ted Lindsay Award winners, Alex Burrows, who shoots left, is still classified as a "Left Wing" at hockeydb . . . so how can any of us get it right, when the "experts" get it wrong?

701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
This. If one of them can become a 60 point, top 6 performer, that's a big win too. Realistic expectations FTW.
Exactly. If two of them are Top 9 forwards in 2 years, that's a big win.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:15 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I would love to just see an injection of youth and some of our draft picks playing instead of going after reclamation projects via free agency

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Exactly. If two of them are Top 9 forwards in 2 years, that's a big win.
Bottom 6 forwards are valuable to draft and develop too. A guy like Hansen is a really valuable player and only makes peanuts. Signing a similar guy in FA to play on the 3rd line would be very expensive. Anytime you can get a guy making a million dollars contributing on your roster it's a win. I'm want to see our prospects crack the lineup as much as anyone but it can't be handed to them, they have to earn it.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:26 AM
ninetynine*

Legion of Doom 2.0?

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:18 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

People are confused about Jensen and his size. He is not a physical player. Hell, he's even said it himself.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:22 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

For all those that keep saying "Legion of Doom"... who's Lindros? AKA a generational talent and franchise player?

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Katani Kalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbs View Post
People are confused about Jensen and his size. He is not a physical player. Hell, he's even said it himself.
I don't think Mikael Renberg was either and he was a member of the Legion of Doom it's all perception.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:28 AM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
We should get Bjugstad to center Kassian and Jensen. Kassian would be the shortest one of the line...
Hey yeah! Maybe Gillis could try to trade Luongo for him. Has anyone considered that yet?

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
good god this article is terrible. the writer keeps trying to shoehorn these prospects into his terrible preconception and Otten is destroying it

"so, if you ignore everything you just told me, could this work?"

"sure, just stop asking me questions" - an exchange he didn't print for obvious reasons

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:17 AM
rban*

Not very often are three huge guys put together on one line, esp for a first or second line. Only ones I can think of are Bruins with Thornton-Glen Murray-Mike Knuble and of course Legion of Doom Flyers.

Neither of those two lasted very long. In the case of Bruins they decided Thornton was a PO bust and moved him (San Jose's experiences in POs indicates they may have ben right about that) and as for Flyers, they moved Renberg the next season(which was also correct decision cuz he never was very good again)

I think such 700 lb lines somehow lack speed, or teams feel they need some beef/protection on other lines as well so they move em around.

More common is a big tough guy with two smaller skill players. Thinking specifically of big power forward Arnott protecting skilled Euros Sykora and Elias (NJ).

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

Jensen Gaunce Mallet

As said LaBate is a LW/C. But I don't think he'll be top line talent, more likely a good top 6 guy or elite 3rd liner. If we had a top 9 of prospects I would put it as so:

Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian
LaBate - Gaunce - Rodin
Sweatt - Friesen - Mallet

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

More common is a big tough guy with two smaller skill players. Thinking specifically of big power forward Arnott protecting skilled Euros Sykora and Elias (NJ).
Something more like this?

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:52 AM
biturbo19

Size is great and all...but 700lbs of player out there on the ice isn't going to be going anywhere quickly. There's an important tradeoff there between mass and agility. Hockey is a game that requires a balance of both...these aren't body builders. I could care less what weights they hit, as long as they're at their maximum effectiveness at whatever weight they're at. There's a reason you don't see a whole ton of 230lbs+ stars kicking around.

I don't really expect anyone other than Kassian to really hit that 230lb range tbh. For Jensen, it's hard to see how he'd be an effective player at that sort of weight. And as for Gaunce, he might end up in the ballpark eventually...but when his mobility is already a bit of a weak point where he's at...i'm not sure it would be the best idea to have him tipping the scales at 230lbs+ at all.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote