HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
EvanOberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
It isnt that Weber does not want to be in Nashville, it is more he would prefer to be in Philly.

But Nashville is an acceptable second choice.
I honestly think its more like being happy to receive 100 mil guaranteed contract for his whole career. Thats an easy decision no matter who offer sheeted that.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
To mess with Philly sounds like a good reason from Nashville's pov
It's honestly not messing with Philly at all...

Old
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Again, what is this "Weber doesn't want to be there" crap. He signed a 14 year commitment he knew could very well be with Nashville. Holmgren played by the rules in offering it, Weber played by the rules in signing it, Poile plays by the rules in matching it. None of it is kind, none of it is gentlemanly, none of it has any ****ing thing to do with the other parties feelings. Where Weber wants to be is irrelevant right now.
because his agent was on the radio yesterday and said Weber did not want to be part of a rebuild in Nashville.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
And WITH Weber, they're likely in the middle of that group of playoff teams. It's so hard to predict, given the parity of our league, but let's say that VAN, LA and STL win their divisions next year - I see no reason why Nashville wouldn't compete for that #4 seed.
While entirely feasible, even with Weber I do not see Nashville being nearly as competitive. Dallas has largely improved, as has Colorado, while San Jose had an off year. The only team that looks to slip is Detroit. Weber makes it more of a dog fight but without him I just cannot see it, thus my post.

Old
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
And how does waiting a week hurt the Predators? They can make signings anyway while hurting the Flyers who they don't like right now. Assuming they know either way
This doesn't hurt either team.....

Let Nashville think it out. It's a huge decision. No need to rush it.

Old
ayshplaysh

Quote:
And how does waiting a week hurt the Predators? They can make signings anyway while hurting the Flyers who they don't like right now. Assuming they know either way
Yeah, no. Nashville's management is a little more mature then that, benefits them in no realistic way and only is making their fan base upset by waiting. They're most likely reviewing every possible scenario and how it can play out in the short term and long term so it might take some time.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
bauer

Quote:
enough with this hurting the Flyers stuff. how does this wait hurt them? i don't see any other big signings going on right now do you? Nash and Ryan aren't getting traded anytime soon, and Doan/Semin don't look to be signing anywhere soon either.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsie19 View Post
I think its a little unfair towards Nashville in that Philly gets to dictate the structure of the contract that Nashville has to sign. Nashville may have been willing to offer a similar contract but structure in a way that would suit them better. The point I'm trying to make is that I wonder if the NHL might need compensation for offer sheets that are met.

Ie Philly signs Weber to an offer sheet. Nashville doesn't match Philly gives up 4 first round picks we know that. Now what if Nashville does match maybe Philly should have to give up one 2nd round pick.

Reason being it deters teams from dictating contracts for other teams. It was said Philly grew tired of trade talks for Weber and then decided if he's not gonna be traded to us then we're gonna make sure he doesn't go anywhere else. And there is no ramifications for doing this. Not to mention that the aspect that Philly has a lot easier time coming up with up front cash giving rich teams more advantage.
Nsh has had the ability to control the contract for 3+ seasons. They didn't exactly step up, and this is the price they have to pay.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:55 PM
LSnow

Thing thats bothering me is that Weber knew this contract is meant to screw Preds hard, he also knew Preds will likely match and he now has to play for a crippled franchise that might not be able to surround him with talent and all this was his own doing..

Old
07-20-2012, 05:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Thing thats bothering me is that Weber knew this contract is meant to screw Preds hard, he also knew Preds will likely match and he now has to play for a crippled franchise that might not be able to surround him with talent and all this was his own doing..
It's $110 million. You wouldn't turn it down either.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsie19 View Post
I think its a little unfair towards Nashville in that Philly gets to dictate the structure of the contract that Nashville has to sign. Nashville may have been willing to offer a similar contract but structure in a way that would suit them better. The point I'm trying to make is that I wonder if the NHL might need compensation for offer sheets that are met.

Ie Philly signs Weber to an offer sheet. Nashville doesn't match Philly gives up 4 first round picks we know that. Now what if Nashville does match maybe Philly should have to give up one 2nd round pick.

Reason being it deters teams from dictating contracts for other teams. It was said Philly grew tired of trade talks for Weber and then decided if he's not gonna be traded to us then we're gonna make sure he doesn't go anywhere else. And there is no ramifications for doing this. Not to mention that the aspect that Philly has a lot easier time coming up with up front cash giving rich teams more advantage.
Nashville has had 2 years to sign Weber to a long term deal and has not done so. That is THEIR fault. When they took him to arbitration 1 year ago, they(Poile) compared Weber to Dustin Bufuglien and Keith Yandle and offered him less than $5million. Doesn't sound like he thinks too much of Weber.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
if weber truely wants out and would ask for a trade next summer I wouldn't match the offer the 27 million for one season of Weber + the difference in value of the 4 firsts for the upgraded assets isn't worth it imo.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:04 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Nashville are good drafters and if they are smart with there money they can build a good team

Old
07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Weber didn't intend it to screw the Preds...the Flyers did.

Who knows the amount from Van and Nyr, but the flyers probably topped it...Ed snider is determined not to be outspent.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
because his agent was on the radio yesterday and said Weber did not want to be part of a rebuild in Nashville.
Is that what he actually said, or is that what people are concluding? (I didn't hear the interview, so that's a serious question.)

Old
07-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Kranix
shempionship

They've all made their beds. Now they can lie in them. Weber wants out of Nashville, but he risks staying there 14 years. Poile took him to arbitration 2 years ago(?), and if that transcript from the hearing is correct, equated him to Yandle and Byfuglien and offered him 4.25 per. So was Weber insulted by that? Does Poile feel differently about him now? I don't think it's worth it to Nasville to match it, but I think they will match it. Seems to me the CBA is full of holes. The oldboys club owners (Philly, NYR, Det, Toronto) can cannibalize the little guys if they want to.
If Poile was smart (which I think he is) he would let Weber walk and forget about him. If Nashville has another 100 point season, they'll be saying "Shea who?"
I know it may not be that simple, for marketing reasons, and the fans will be bitter.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
ayshplaysh

Anyone else feel like a compensation different than just picks is coming? Maybe trade talks were close between Homer and Poile, and Homer just wanted to ensure Weber would be signed? Voracek + Meszaros + prospects + picks? Not sure who the prospects would be, our best prospect would be Laughton I think.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
healthyscratch

And to think Poile wouldn't sign him to a 3 year, 21m contract last summer. Now he's facing paying him 27 million in less than one year. Whoops.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
So it's guaranteed that it will be impossible for Nashville's perceived financial situation to improve during that time?
With a lock out heading our way and 26m of that is paid no matter what, hrmmm.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
Losing one significant player= Rebuild

Old
07-20-2012, 06:20 PM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
Has NSH matched this yet?

Old
07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Kranix
shempionship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Anyone else feel like a compensation different than just picks is coming? Maybe trade talks were close between Homer and Poile, and Homer just wanted to ensure Weber would be signed? Voracek + Meszaros + prospects + picks? Not sure who the prospects would be, our best prospect would be Laughton I think.
I think trading is off the table now. He is technically Philly property. And if Nashville matches, I understand he can't be traded for 365 days.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
If Nashville matches Weber what is there to make everyone think they will still struggle?

Yes they lost sutter, but they have some god D prospects in the pipe line to work with. Losing Radulov is really like losing nothing, he only played 9 regular season games.

If they match Weber they are going to still be a good team.
My thinking EXACTLY. People are acting like this is going to be a death sentence to Nashville as a franchise, as if they didnt just take down Detroit in the first round, and dont look poised to be a contender for a while yet.

Here's a reality for the future of the franchise. Losing Weber via a trade for a boatload of prospects or NHL ready talent is NOT a crushing blow for Nashville.

Meekly accepting some pittance of four late first round draft picks (and essentially admitting you were financially hoodwinked because you couldnt lock up your best player long term) might very well be a crushing blow. It would be a strike against ownership, management, and a hell of a blow to the fans. In light of paying alot of money and then emerging with credibility and talent, I think they take the financial hit.

Holmgren has presented them with the unthinkable scenario. It was a clever move with all little financial tweaks designed to screw Nashville's ability to match, but what it boils down to is just offering a player a truckload of $$$$$ to lure them away from a poorer team. People used to hate Glen Sather for that kind of GMing, pre lockout, and it seems just as distasteful now as it did then.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Losing one significant player= Rebuild
It is when your best forward is hornqvist and your franchise hasn't shown an aptitude for "paying the price" to aquire big talent.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
I think trading is off the table now. He is technically Philly property. And if Nashville matches, I understand he can't be traded for 365 days.
The teams are able to work out compensation other then the 4 picks themselves, see Chris Gratton.

Closed Thread