HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING: Travis Snider traded to Pittsburgh for SP Brad Lincoln

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Shi Davidi is saying Andrew Carpenter is the one being DFA'd...?
Yes,

David Carpenter was who we acquired today. Drew Carpenter is a mediocre Jays minor leaguer filling in while we had all the injuries.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Yes,

David Carpenter was who we acquired today. Drew Carpenter is a mediocre Jays minor leaguer filling in while we had all the injuries.
Yeah I know. @gregorMLB is saying Drew, Shi Davidi is saying Andrew.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Yeah I know. @gregorMLB is saying Drew, Shi Davidi is saying Andrew.
Andrew = Drew

Old
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Andrew = Drew
Jesus Christ. How embarrassing.

Everyone look away. STOP LOOKING AT ME!

Andrew, Drew, David... It's all too confusing.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Jesus Christ. How embarrassing.

Everyone look away. STOP LOOKING AT ME!

Andrew, Drew, David... It's all too confusing.
Too many Carpenters in the MLB.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Too many Carpenters in the MLB.
I was mixing up the name Drew and David. Must have just been focusing on the first letter.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Good thing I don't suffer from Scopophobia.

All I can picture when I see that picture of jimmy from wikipedia.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

"We weren't gonna give up a high end guy in a deal like this"

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

Interesting. I guess they don't think much of Musgrove or Perez.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

IIRC there are two Chris Carpenters. There's the ex-Blue Jay (the good one), and then there's another one who's a reliever that the Red Sox got as compo for Theo Epstein going to the Cubs.

I can just imagine exited Sox fans waking up to headlines of "Red Sox acquire P Chris Carpenter" before they realize they got the crappy one.

And to make it better, both of them have the full name Christopher John Carpenter. So no middle initials to differentiate.

Also didn't the Sox once have two Bobby Jones'? Bobby M Jones and Bobby J Jones I think?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Aaron Hill is ripping this year.

Hill for Johnson doesn't look like a great trade for Toronto at this point.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Aaron Hill is ripping this year.

Hill for Johnson doesn't look like a great trade for Toronto at this point.

Hill needed a change of scenery it just wasn't working here anymore for him.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
aingefan

The more I think about it, the more replaceable I think most of these prospects are.
Projecting to next years full-year minor league roster, a lot of these guys were hard pressed to lock into big roles.
Low A will have tones of options like Norris, Comer, Osuna, Gabryszwski and some other guys knocking on the door like Murphy/Estrada/Del Rosario/Cordona plus another handful of guys recently drafted pushing and probably in instructional league. That's four legit prospects before Musgrove, with 4+ guys who are not far off of his upside battling for a spot. 8+ guys for five spots.
High A will have Snydergaard, Nicolino, Sanchez, Desclafani, Stroman at least. Maybe Avendano/Walden/J.Hernandez/Ybarra/E.Smith. That's five legit guys, with five more with similar upsides to Rollins.
Somewhere in between High A and AA will be Lawrence/Nolin/Boone. That's three more.
AA will have Stilson/McGuire/Jenkins, maybe Carreno - something's going on with him. Does Asher project any better than those four-seven? Maybe a little....but not significantly, and he is repeating the level.
AAA I won't even bother....that's a mess.
But if you mix in relievers like Crawford AAA/AA, Dyson AAA/AA, Barnes AA, Farina's big arm rehabbing.....there's lots of duplicity there compared to the assets surrendered.
The pitching depth in the minors wasn't really touched, and the big team got a starter for two years, a reliever for one and maybe more (buying time for these kids to move along) and a big armed bullpen prospect who's only pitched for a short while who's not that far off and who has five more years of control.
Losing Perez might sting, but he's not getting anymore than a backup job in TO unless TDA somehow implodes.

Last edited by aingefan: 07-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old
07-20-2012, 10:43 PM
darko

Musgrove is cleary the best prospect Jays gave up. If Asher Woj makes it to major leagues it'll most likely be in bullpen role.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

So the jays have updated our top 20 prospects. Replacing Musgrove, Woj and Perez are Stilson, Osuna and Lopes

Old
07-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Auzzie19

Anyone see one or 2 of the A ball pitchers making the jump to double A this season. Syndergaard has certainly shown he deserves to be. He's just consistantly good.

Tonight Syndergaard: 5.0ip 6so 2bb 3h 0er ERA 2.72

Old
07-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Everlong
-

Chavez started tonight for LV but only went through a third of an inning according to the boxscore. Anyone know what happened to him?

Old
07-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Anyone see one or 2 of the A ball pitchers making the jump to double A this season. Syndergaard has certainly shown he deserves to be. He's just consistantly good.

Unlikely, these guys are still in low-A, its more likely they get moved to hi-A Dunedin or finish their seasons in Lansing. No room/reason to rush them that far ahead tight now.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
I believe AA said Nicolino/Sanchez/Syndergaard will be starting in Dunedin next year so that completely rules out the New Hampshire scenario.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:15 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Isn't Happ arb eligible next year? Hopefully the Jays doesn't pay big $ to Brett Cecil 2.0, I really wanted to get Guthrie instead, he woulda been cheaper and is a proven AL East starter.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post

No, why would they. They are struggling to go 6 innings and need to build their innings first. A ball to double A is a quite a bit of a jump which is unnecessary when they are like 19-20.

Maybe they'll be there by mid-season next year and it won't happen right now. I doubt they even get promoted to Dunedin this year.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:00 AM
angry pirate

I really like this move. Happ will provide some relief in our rotation this year with an outside shot at 4-5 spot next year. Most likely he'll be a solid 6th and 7th Inning guy for us next season.

Lyon gives our arms a break and is a big league arm to eat innings for a very depleted pitching core.

Carpenter is a project, but is AAA ready. Lots of velocity with closer ceiling.

I Know this makes it look as though the Blue Jays are buying to stay in the wild card race, but I just don't believe it. This move provides depth to a depleted staff, and adds a couple of Big League arms to possibly sell a few pieces. I get that we are only 3.5 back of the wild card, but passing 6-7 teams to get in is improbable.

Oliver and Frasor are two that stand out as good possibilities to be moved imo. Both have decent value, and are likely to have higher return than the astro's got from us for Happ and Lyon. Add in that it's likely we'd resign Frasor offseason unless he's grown tired of being traded out of TO. With this extra wildcard it's likely to be a sellers market, especially with the AL being as tight as it is.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
showtime8

As a fan, I would have been pissed if AA didn't make any moves and just let the season go to waste. The fact that he pulled the trigger and actually tried to do something is solid in my eyes.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:24 AM
barilko05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
No, why would they. They are struggling to go 6 innings and need to build their innings first. A ball to double A is a quite a bit of a jump which is unnecessary when they are like 19-20.

Maybe they'll be there by mid-season next year and it won't happen right now. I doubt they even get promoted to Dunedin this year.
The Lansing 3 are not "struggling" to go 6 innings. They are all on very strict pitch counts. The organization is being extremely careful with these pitchers. Perhaps a bit too careful, if you ask me. There are those, Greg Zaun being one, who believe that pitch counts are what is ruining so many young arms. Pitchers are babied so much nowadays their arms aren't developing properly, hence the injuries.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:28 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barilko05 View Post
The Lansing 3 are not "struggling" to go 6 innings. They are all on very strict pitch counts. The organization is being extremely careful with these pitchers. Perhaps a bit too careful, if you ask me. There are those, Greg Zaun being one, who believe that pitch counts are what is ruining so many young arms. Pitchers are babied so much nowadays their arms aren't developing properly, hence the injuries.
Greg Zaun being part of your argument really hurts it. WTF does he even know about pitcher development. Your first point is correct though

Old
07-21-2012, 10:46 AM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Greg Zaun being part of your argument really hurts it. WTF does he even know about pitcher development. Your first point is correct though
I think Zaun probably knows enough with his MLB experience being around the game. The fact his uncle Rick Dempsey a catcher back in the 70's and 80's where pitchers pitched longer and were babied less. Dwight Gooden threw 200 innings as a 19 year old and only had arm trouble in his middle to late 30's. So many guys from that era before steriods threw tons of innings early in their careers to give them arm strength to handle 200 innings a game.

I don't have any evidence to proof either side but I do think they are going overboard on the babying of arms these days.

Closed Thread