HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

BREAKING: Travis Snider traded to Pittsburgh for SP Brad Lincoln

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
trellaine201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Interesting.
they forgot to add if they are cheap and controllable for many years lol

Old
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Loria should not be allowed to own a team. He holds Miami hostage for a new stadium which he gets, then because the fans don't show up guts the team again so they are spending no money.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Ichiro: .642 OPS. Can't get on base, no power, can't hit for much power. He is a big name but I doubt he helps the Yankees all that much.
Still plays well above average defense, and he wouldn't be the first vet to come in and turn his season around in new York.

The guy is a hall of famed who just it traded to a team with a few other hall of famers, and is now going to have better protection then he's had since the early 2000's.

He's not the player he used to be but he'll make a difference on a team that's already the best in the majors.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
captn

Greg Zaun is ripping Ichiro on Prime Time Sports. He's saying he's all about getting his numbers and that's it.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Auzzie19

what the ****, I take a nap and three trades go down?!!

Ichiro to Yanks is crazy, he will get on base when batting in that loaded lineup.

DET is serious, but do they extend Sanchez after making that deal, I think so. Looks like he's off the FA market.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Is my computer clock off by 1 week? It feels like July 30.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
weak attempt to replace gardiner, they should of went for victorino IMO as he couldn't of cost that much more. i guess they wanted a definite corner position fielder instead of one that would take over for granderson.

however i'm glad ichiro will get a chance to win his first WS, hes been a beast for to long to not have a chance with a good team. also ichiro had a NTC for 5-10 teams i believe so he could of blocked the trade.
Ichiro had his best chance his rookie year in 2001. You know, that team that had one of the best records in MLB history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
Think Jays should ask about Johnson ?
I'd absolutely love JJ if we don't have to gut the farm for him.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Ichiro: .642 OPS. Can't get on base, no power, can't hit for much power. He is a big name but I doubt he helps the Yankees all that much.
damnnnnnnnn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell on the block.
i want johnson and ramirez

07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Yeah I wouldn't mind Johnson and HanRam. Deal KJ, put Yunel at 2B and let HanRam take over his natural position. The cost might be pretty high though, that's my only worry.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Johnson has 2.5 years of control too does he not?

2012: $13.75 Million
2013: $13.75 Million

O.K. so 1.5 years of control.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yeah I wouldn't mind Johnson and HanRam. Deal KJ, put Yunel at 2B and let HanRam take over his natural position. The cost might be pretty high though, that's my only worry.
I wouldnt risk what its essentially going to cost on these two players.
One has big injury question marks and the other has seemingly fallen from a great player to just a good player.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Still plays well above average defense, and he wouldn't be the first vet to come in and turn his season around in new York.

The guy is a hall of famed who just it traded to a team with a few other hall of famers, and is now going to have better protection then he's had since the early 2000's.

He's not the player he used to be but he'll make a difference on a team that's already the best in the majors.
How is that going to help him hit better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
what the ****, I take a nap and three trades go down?!!

Ichiro to Yanks is crazy, he will get on base when batting in that loaded lineup.

DET is serious, but do they extend Sanchez after making that deal, I think so. Looks like he's off the FA market.
How? Or why? Jeez, why do people think just because you're hitting in a better line-up, you just start hitting better all of a sudden? He can't get on base because he doesn't walk and that's not going to suddenly happen now. His OBP was a lot better in his earlier days when he could hit for a insanely high average (and he got intentionally walked often). He can't anymore because he is declined. He can help the Yankees line-up a little bit because he still makes a lot of contact, plays defense and can run. Not nearly as good as Gardner but he could do fine but Ichiro isn't the great player he once was. He isn't anywhere close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell on the block.
Josh Johnson. So want.

Not interested in the other two... at least not in Bell for sure. Wouldn't take him for free.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Nazem Bozak

if we could get someone like an upton/HanRam and they could regain form... it could be that extra push we need to make it to the playoffs but chances are very slim. I don't see AA interested in HanRam.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Newbi

Quote:

How? Or why? Jeez, why do people think just because you're hitting in a better line-up, you just start hitting better all of a sudden? He can't get on base because he doesn't walk and that's not going to suddenly happen now. His OBP was a lot better in his earlier days when he could hit for a insanely high average (and he got intentionally walked often). He can't anymore because he is declined. He can help the Yankees line-up a little bit because he still makes a lot of contact, plays defense and can run. Not nearly as good as Gardner but he could do fine but Ichiro isn't the great player he once was. He isn't anywhere close to that.

no disrespect, but i think Ichiro just need a change of scenery to start fresh. he hits for contact not power, you don't change OBP from .358 to .288 in less than 2 yrs with "natrual decline".. he did ask for a trade no?

Old
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Looking at our Payroll commitments for 2013 I think we could fit Johnsons contract quite comfortably.

We likely will end up spending $14 Million in arbitration players. Leaving us at $74 Million without adding anyone.

Edit: I didn't realize that just paying our own is really starting to add up, not that its a bad thing. Not 1 bad contract on the books though.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Gawd I HATE the Yanks, Ichiro will tap his well honed skills and play well for the Yankees. He's 189 hits away from 4000 in his professional career and if he's insulated by a loaded lineup he certainly can extend his MLB career for another 3-5 years. If this happens he definitely will break 3000 hits. Good deal for the Yanks, they (MLB) should really implement a hard cap.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
weems

Quote:

Looking at our Payroll commitments for 2013 I think we could fit Johnsons contract quite comfortably.

We likely will end up spending $14 Million in arbitration players. Leaving us at $74 Million without adding anyone.

Edit: I didn't realize that just paying our own is really starting to add up, not that its a bad thing. Not 1 bad contract on the books though.
I'd hope we spend more money then that.

This team is looking ready to compete and theres no reason we shouldnt be in the top 15 in team salary.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I'd hope we spend more money then that.

This team is looking ready to compete and theres no reason we shouldnt be in the top 15 in team salary.
I could see us being in the $90 Million range next year.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
weems

Quote:
I could see us being in the $90 Million range next year.
No reason we shouldnt.
Teams like the CWS, Brewers, Twins are sitting in the 90-95 million range.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
No reason we shouldnt.
Teams like the CWS, Brewers, Twins are sitting in the 90-95 million range.
Lets be honest though, Jays could spend $400 million next year and people would still complain its not enough and that Rogers is cheap. Besides, the Jays haven't really had a need to have high payrolls the last couple years as we were in the process of jettisoning all our bad contracts. As we add to our core group the $ spent will increase.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
weems

Quote:
Lets be honest though, Jays could spend $400 million next year and people would still complain its not enough and that Rogers is cheap. Besides, the Jays haven't really had a need to have high payrolls the last couple years as we were in the process of jettisoning all our bad contracts. As we add to our core group the $ spent will increase.
I dont think the people who complain about team salary necessarily want or are asking them to spend in the 110-120 milion range they would just like to be middle of the pack rather then be ranked 23rd. That could be only 1-2 solid aqusitions but in the end that could be the difference between making the playoffs or finishing a few games back. I would like to see the team add a established starter in the rotation and that would certainly add to the teams payroll.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
I dont think the people who complain about team salary necessarily want or are asking them to spend in the 110-120 milion range they would just like to be middle of the pack rather then be ranked 23rd. That could be only 1-2 solid aqusitions but in the end that could be the difference between making the playoffs or finishing a few games back. I would like to see the team add a established starter in the rotation and that would certainly add to the teams payroll.
Of course, I just never understand the people who advocate money for the sake of adding money. The reason the Jays payroll has been down is because we are getting rid of overpaid players and replacing them with cheaper younger players who you can definitely argue are better. Now that we don't have any bad contracts on the team, this is the time we can start adding players like a Josh Johnson and take the relatively short term risk for a 13.75 Million hit because it has the potential to make our entire team significantly better.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM
captn

Quote:
Of course, I just never understand the people who advocate money for the sake of adding money. The reason the Jays payroll has been down is because we are getting rid of overpaid players and replacing them with cheaper younger players who you can definitely argue are better. Now that we don't have any bad contracts on the team, this is the time we can start adding players like a Josh Johnson and take the relatively short term risk for a 13.75 Million hit because it has the potential to make our entire team significantly better.
Amazingly there's some people who think you should always try to make the playoffs. They think Brian Burke and the Leafs are actually doing better than the Jays because Burke is trying to make the playoffs. It doesn't matter that Burke hasn't made the playoffs. In their minds, AA is a failure because he won't push hard for the playoffs right away.

Also, on Ichiro it's surprising that in the last 10 years he's only had 3 years where his OPS was above .800. 5 years in the .700s and the last 2 in the .600s.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

Yikes I didn't realize he's 38!

Old
07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captn View Post
Also, on Ichiro it's surprising that in the last 10 years he's only had 3 years where his OPS was above .800. 5 years in the .700s and the last 2 in the .600s.
It's not that surprising. The prime culprit is that he's not a power hitter, he's a singles hitter. So while he racks up hit after hit after hit, the vast majority of them are singles, with very few homers and only a handful of doubles. That sabotages his slugging %, which in turn weighs down his OPS. His career slugging % is .418 (which is bad, or at very least is roughly around league average), while his career OBP is .366 (which is very good, especially considering he doesn't take a lot of walks.)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread