HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING: Travis Snider traded to Pittsburgh for SP Brad Lincoln

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:58 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Admitted steroid users haven't got in yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Andy will get in

Andy isn't a HOFer IMO. Obviously I'd love to see him get in but I dont think he deserves to get in. He's been a warrior for Yanks in post season.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
D'Arnaud>Syndergaard>everyone else. Thats how I see it, Syndergaard is gonna probably gonna be our top prospect by the end of the year, he's that good and so consistant.

I'd take Sanchez over Syndergaard. Sanchez is #2 IMO behind D'Arnaud.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I don't think A-rod will get in...I wanted to and he was one of my favourite players as a kid but man was I crushed when he admitted he used roids.

07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Couldn't command the fastball consistantly to the outside part of the plate. He was getting hammered.
Damn, I remember when he was returning from surgery and he was being limited as he recovered, didn't realize he is in such a state.

If he comes here, definitely would bump Romero down to the no#2 slot.

Also whats the story on morrow, i know he got injured and what not but how is he?

Old
07-24-2012, 07:21 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Damn, I remember when he was returning from surgery and he was being limited as he recovered, didn't realize he is in such a state.

If he comes here, definitely would bump Romero down to the no#2 slot.

Also whats the story on morrow, i know he got injured and what not but how is he?
He's either just started or just been cleared to start a rehab stint. He's thrown a few bullpen sessions without any issues, and I heard on the the fan yesterday that they expect him back by mid August.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Not saying one is better than the other, and not to be an ass, but the people who think AA is a failure are idiots. Plain and simple (just like them).

AA was handed a franchise without much major league talent and a farm system that ranked in the bottom 5.

He's completely overhauled the franchise, and it's kind of ignorant to think you can go from complete mediocrity to contention in a matter of 3 years. He sold Rogers on a 5 year plan, he sold the fans on a proper build, why would he abandon that and make the same mistakes as past management teams? Yeah, it may be painful to watch the team not go all out when it's right there in their reach, but there's no point to try and accelerate a process when it's not there and would cause the train to go off its tracks, to put it in a metaphor.
Couldn't possibly agree more.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is it his arm or something? I remember this guy being a solid pitcher for the twins
Lacks consistency and command issues.

Quote:
D'Arnaud>Syndergaard>everyone else. Thats how I see it, Syndergaard is gonna probably gonna be our top prospect by the end of the year, he's that good and so consistant.
d'Arnaud and Sanchez are the top two, then it's everybody else.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:21 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Not saying one is better than the other, and not to be an ass, but the people who think AA is a failure are idiots. Plain and simple (just like them).

AA was handed a franchise without much major league talent and a farm system that ranked in the bottom 5.

He's completely overhauled the franchise, and it's kind of ignorant to think you can go from complete mediocrity to contention in a matter of 3 years. He sold Rogers on a 5 year plan, he sold the fans on a proper build, why would he abandon that and make the same mistakes as past management teams? Yeah, it may be painful to watch the team not go all out when it's right there in their reach, but there's no point to try and accelerate a process when it's not there and would cause the train to go off its tracks, to put it in a metaphor.
I don't disagree with what you said but the danger of a putting a __ year plan out there is you're putting the onus on yourself and the team to deliver. This is year 3 chances are no playoffs so they are now down to a 2 year window to deliver on this plan. You would think at some time this team would take a big step up and contend. I am still not buying they are contenders for a wildcard right now still 3 games out and a few teams to jump. They jumped a couple already but it's a fluid situation and come Thursday the Jays might be back to jumping 5 teams.

You're talking about some train going off the tracks but it's quite possible if the team is just around .500 next year again this plan isn't going as scheduled. Let's remember it's easier to go from a 72 win team to an 81 win team than to go from an 81 win team to a 90 win team.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I dont recall AA ever saying it was a set numbers of years for a plan, the plan was just to build a sustainable long term winner, whether it is built in 3 years or 6 years, as long as the conclusion is the same. I do think the team is constructed in a way that we can seriously compete as early as next year though. We have no bad contracts and are starting to lock up our core.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I dont recall AA ever saying it was a set numbers of years for a plan, the plan was just to build a sustainable long term winner, whether it is built in 3 years or 6 years, as long as the conclusion is the same. I do think the team is constructed in a way that we can seriously compete as early as next year though. We have no bad contracts and are starting to lock up our core.
I don't believe it.

Locking up our young core has nothing to do with competing next year. We have a few needs in pitching and hitting before we talk about competing.

With Edwin taking the 1B spot, I think we need a legit DH.

2B and RF are still needs, IMO.

As far as pitching is concerned we need a bonafide ace like Cliff Lee or Cole Hamels. A veteran who has being doing it for a while and can lead a rotation. I know he may be attainable with Philly struggling.

Lee/Hamels
Romero
Morrow
Hutchinson
Alvarez

07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I'd take Sanchez over Syndergaard. Sanchez is #2 IMO behind D'Arnaud.
This.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:36 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I don't believe it.

Locking up our young core has nothing to do with competing next year. We have a few needs in pitching and hitting before we talk about competing.

With Edwin taking the 1B spot, I think we need a legit DH.

2B and RF are still needs, IMO.

As far as pitching is concerned we need a bonafide ace like Cliff Lee or Cole Hamels. A veteran who has being doing it for a while and can lead a rotation. I know he may be attainable with Philly struggling.

Lee/Hamels
Romero
Morrow
Hutchinson
Alvarez
Uh, what? You mean left-field, right?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I was responding to the quote when he said AA sold Rogers on a 5 year plan so that's where I got it from. It's nice not to have any bad contracts but there doesn't seem to be many signs of contending for the playoffs except for the move to the 2nd wildcard. The free agent crop is particularly poor this offseason so improvement will likely have to come from prospects being called up or these prospects being moved. I don't see teams like NY, Ana, Texas, Det, TB going away anytime soon and you still have a team like Boston who will be lurking from time to time.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Uh, what? You mean left-field, right?
Yeah. Mean't LF.

I don't think Snider or Davis is the answer.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:20 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Yeah. Mean't LF.

Davis is certainly not but I think Snider could be useful, he's still a young guy.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Yeah. Mean't LF.

Snider has the potential to be a pretty amazing baseball player, but I somewhat agree. Perhaps another year of development with turn Anthony Gose into that answer. That would be a very fast and dangerous team.

Gose
Lawrie
Bautista
Rasmus
Encarnacion
Lind
Escobar
Johnson
Arencibbia

Old
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
The Drunken Crunker

So they just mentioned on Baseball Central that the Jays are one of the main teams in play for HanRam but, knowing AA, may be then looking to flip him to Oakland for SP.

Thoughts?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
so cooper on his way out?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:42 AM
TootooTrain
-

I don't recall AA setting a deadline in terms of how long the rebuild will take. I don't think anyone can. Beeston is the one who came out and put a target on his head when he said "I expect the team to make two-to-three playoff appearances in the next five years." Could come back to bite him, but I like his confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Crunker View Post
So they just mentioned on Baseball Central that the Jays are one of the main teams in play for HanRam but, knowing AA, may be then looking to flip him to Oakland for SP.

Thoughts?
Possible. Knowing AA, when we're "connected" with a player, it could be in a 3 team swing deal.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
ryno23

I could see AA flip Escobar instead to OAK and keep Ramirez at SS.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

LF will definately be an internal solution IMO. Snider should play there for now and maybe eventually Gose or Marisnick if Snider cant produce. 2B could be Hech or an external solution. If it was me, i'd move Yunel over to second and put Hech at SS ASAP.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Swervin81
Leafy McDreamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Crunker View Post

Thoughts?
Probably a smoke screen in that we are actually going for JJ.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
KlattNazty

do you guys view Darnaud as the long term guy or JPA?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
why would we spend on a SS???

Old
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Probably a smoke screen in that we are actually going for JJ.
That's my thinking aswell. Remember all those rumors of the Jays interested in Upton, turns out we got pitching relief instead. I think every positional player outside of maybe a DH later on, can be solved internally. AA just needs to help this pitching staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
do you guys view Darnaud as the long term guy or JPA?
I'm a bit reserved when it comes to D'Arnaud. He hasn't even played a game in the bigs and is already being touted as the future catcher. That said, his defense is far superior, and his bat is atleast as good as JP's. Because of his season ending surgery we might not see him start next season like we all hoped he would, but he'll defiantly play next year for the Jays.

Closed Thread