HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
That will be interesting to see. Mainly because Umberger played great with Atkinson toward the end of last season.

Of course Cam could be on a number 1 line with-------whoever.
Cam was really good for a time on a line with Letestu and Prospal. I'm not too worried about who was playing well with whom at the end of last year, or even whether AA and Dubi played together in NYR.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Speedy Sanderson

It's now early August and Huselius hasn't been picked-up. If the Jackets could get him for about $1 million, maybe $1.25 million, I'd really be in favor of brining him back as the lineup could use some more playmakers.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post
It's now early August and Huselius hasn't been picked-up. If the Jackets could get him for about $1 million, maybe $1.25 million, I'd really be in favor of brining him back as the lineup could use some more playmakers.
The thing is, the team is now built around the mold of players who compete hard, go into the corners, rough things up a bit, an are difficult to play against.

which parts of that description does Huselius fit into?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
candyman82

Quote:
He still hasn't been medically cleared to play

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Speedy Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The thing is, the team is now built around the mold of players who compete hard, go into the corners, rough things up a bit, an are difficult to play against.

which parts of that description does Huselius fit into?
Agreed that Huselius doesn't fit into the categories above, but neither do Johansen or Brass. Even a team like the Jackets with all sorts of gritty, work the corners type of guys needs some playmakers to set things up in the zone and get things going on the power play. My desire to bring on Huselius is of course contingent on him being cleared to play, which it apparently has not happened yet.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Agreed that Huselius doesn't fit into the categories above, but neither do Johansen or Brass. Even a team like the Jackets with all sorts of gritty, work the corners type of guys needs some playmakers to set things up in the zone and get things going on the power play. My desire to bring on Huselius is of course contingent on him being cleared to play, which it apparently has not happened yet.
I think you'll be surprised by Johansen's grit, especially now that he's in better physical shape to play in the NHL. He had no problems doing exactly that in the WHL, and I expect big things from him this year.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think you'll be surprised by Johansen's grit, especially now that he's in better physical shape to play in the NHL. He had no problems doing exactly that in the WHL, and I expect big things from him this year.
I'm thinking he and Brass both play well this year.. they no longer have to just try and get the puck to others, once they start thinking shoot the d will have to respect them more

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:21 AM
EDM

Huselius represents the exact style of play from which we are trying to get away.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Huselius represents the exact style of play from which we are trying to get away.
You have to have a little skill on a team full of grinders. Where are the skill players at?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You have to have a little skill on a team full of grinders. Where are the skill players at?
The reshaped team shows the "why not both?" approach.

Umberger, Dubinsky, Foligno, Johnson, Wiz, and Tyutin. All guys that can lay down the lumber and bring in some points.

Skill and grit are not mutually exclusive. Unless you're Kristian Huseleius, that is.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Skill and grit are not mutually exclusive. Unless you're Kristian Huseleius, that is.
I agree, 100%

Old
08-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Matthew's right about the two not being mutually exclusive. In fact, the problem with the roster in the past has been too many guys with one and not enough of the other, so the balance within a player is nice to see.

That said, TW has a point. It would be nice if there were a scoring player that could put that kind of pressure on another team. But I believe we will just have to wait for it. Hoping for kids like Johansen and Atkinson to show it, and hope some can be added via trade and/or free agency.

Right now, I have itle interest in bringing back Juice or bringing in a player like him, just to "have skill."

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:00 PM
EspenK

While I'm not sure Juice is the answer, at some point some skill guys will have to be added, imo. As presently constructed, I don't see a "star" among the offensive corps. Some good guys but no one like Sharp, St. Louis, Kane, Seguin, Bergeron, Eberle, to name a few, (and obviously none of the tier above those guys - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, et al). Maybe Atkinson or Johansen gets into one of those groups someday but for now this team needs offense.

Hopefully, next years draft and maybe a trade will address some of this shortfall.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
While I'm not sure Juice is the answer, at some point some skill guys will have to be added, imo. As presently constructed, I don't see a "star" among the offensive corps. Some good guys but no one like Sharp, St. Louis, Kane, Seguin, Bergeron, Eberle, to name a few, (and obviously none of the tier above those guys - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, et al). Maybe Atkinson or Johansen gets into one of those groups someday but for now this team needs offense.

Hopefully, next years draft and maybe a trade will address some of this shortfall.
I can't see anybody we could trade for that doesn't put us back. Ryan would cost too much, and I don't think anybody cheaper (except maybe Juice) who could bring that added offense.

This may be unrelated, but Huselius' house is still not on the market

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Matthew's right about the two not being mutually exclusive. In fact, the problem with the roster in the past has been too many guys with one and not enough of the other, so the balance within a player is nice to see.

That said, TW has a point. It would be nice if there were a scoring player that could put that kind of pressure on another team. But I believe we will just have to wait for it. Hoping for kids like Johansen and Atkinson to show it, and hope some can be added via trade and/or free agency.

Right now, I have itle interest in bringing back Juice or bringing in a player like him, just to "have skill."
Exactly right DSL, I wasn't advocating signing Juice specifically, but the sort of player that can put some points on the scoreboard, and will make things interesting in the offensive end. Slim pickins though right now, Andrei Kostitsyn is the best option out there right now, he'd probably sign a cheap 1 year deal at this point under $4 million. I don't see Doan as a realistic possibly.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Exactly right DSL, I wasn't advocating signing Juice specifically, but the sort of player that can put some points on the scoreboard, and will make things interesting in the offensive end. Slim pickins though right now, Andrei Kostitsyn is the best option out there right now, he'd probably sign a cheap 1 year deal at this point under $4 million. I don't see Doan as a realistic possibly.
Not as fussy as some about AKost and love his game but enough concern to pass and let the CBJ new look take hold first.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I know how much you like him, but Andre Kostitsyn would be a disaster with the culture setup we're trying to build here. Unlike his brother, he hasn't learned how to not be an ass just yet.

If things were more stable and we weren't in the middle of a culture transplant, I'd say, sure, pick him up - maybe competing against his brother regularly and fighting for ice time could straighten him out. But I don't think right now that we can afford to take on someone of his mindset.

(which is too bad, because I so very badly want a "brother versus brother" theme vs. Nashville...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Huselius played like 6 games in the last 2 years and people STILL want him back? Ships long gone, he's probably done in the NHL

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I know how much you like him, but Andre Kostitsyn would be a disaster with the culture setup we're trying to build here. Unlike his brother, he hasn't learned how to not be an ass just yet.

If things were more stable and we weren't in the middle of a culture transplant, I'd say, sure, pick him up - maybe competing against his brother regularly and fighting for ice time could straighten him out. But I don't think right now that we can afford to take on someone of his mindset.

(which is too bad, because I so very badly want a "brother versus brother" theme vs. Nashville...)
Well said. This is what I was getting at.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Huselius played like 6 games in the last 2 years and people STILL want him back? Ships long gone, he's probably done in the NHL
I think giving Erixon #20 was the final nail that says Huselius isn't coming back under any circumstances.

If I recall correctly, I believe his last injury was a completely torn groin muscle. While I believe Klesla had a similar injury and returned for the next season, the fact Huselius hasn't even been cleared to skate 9 months after the injury indicates how extensive his injury is.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Nordique

Huselius is likely done in the NHL, but if he as healthy and the price was right, I'd be cool with it.

The benefit to the PP alone would make Juice a worthwile addition imo.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Huselius is likely done in the NHL, but if he as healthy and the price was right, I'd be cool with it.

The benefit to the PP alone would make Juice a worthwile addition imo.
The power play right now is among the least of my worries.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Edgeworth*

What would it take to get Tyutin to Toronto?

Available commodoties are:
Gunnarsson, MacArthur, Lombardi, Bozak, Connolly, prospects excluding the obvious (Kadri, Gardiner, Ross, Biggs, Ashton, Rielly)

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
What would it take to get Tyutin to Toronto?

Available commodoties are:
Gunnarsson, MacArthur, Lombardi, Bozak, Connolly, prospects excluding the obvious (Kadri, Gardiner, Ross, Biggs, Ashton, Rielly)
Typical Leafs thinking. Target a player you think the other team will undervalue and only want to give up players you overvalue.

For us to trade Tyutin, I would have to think an above average offensive player or a top prospect would have to come the other way. Even though his contract is ugly, we are in no position to part with any pieces with that kind of value for players we already have a bevy of (MacArthur, Bozak), players with obvious injury questions (Lombardi, Connolly), or players that we have no use for (Gunnarsson).

Old
08-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Kulemin for Tyutin.