HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i don't think they are irreconcilable, but i remember bobby sending out a tweet and it saying how ticked he was always having his name out there and wants it to be done and overwith
I say we start posting how Murray is going to have to accept whatever garbage he gets offered because he's got a disgruntled player who wants out and he has no leverage. And then see if Ducks posters will reply with "He has not 'demanded' a trade. We don't have to trade him."

That would be awesome.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i don't think they are irreconcilable, but i remember bobby sending out a tweet and it saying how ticked he was always having his name out there and wants it to be done and overwith
It wasn't just a tweet. He did an interview in which he pretty much stated he wanted to move on and that his preference, of course, was Philly which is across the river from where in grew up in South Jersey.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ade-to-philly/

Furthermore, Murray has now publicly offered the guy up for trade twice in 12 months. This after very difficult contract negotiations between the parties.

Murray isn't a fan of Ryan's game and Ryan is sick of being the first guy Murray offers up when he wants to shake things up.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Murray isn't a fan of Ryan's game and Ryan is sick of being the first guy Murray offers up when he wants to shake things up.
Seems like he would fit in very well around here. All things considered, not too far from where he grew up.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Seems like he would fit in very well around here. All things considered, not too far from where he grew up.
Bobby is Nash with bigger upside. If someone used him more like Hitch used Nash playing him in every facet of the game and improving him in the defensive zone, he still has potential to become a very good two-way player. I think his struggles in the defensive end are what frustrated Carlyle, but I think he's at that age where he can find that part of his game with the right coach.

While his numbers are eerily similar to Nash, Ryan still shows some untapped potential. He's on a reasonable contract for 3 more years. For a guy his size, he has some amazing moves.

Again, if Brassard ++ gets it done, I think you do it and you run. Bobby knows a lot of guys on this team from Team USA and much like Johnson, I think he'd have something to prove if he came here. Like Johnson with Doughty, he'd crawl out of the big shadow of The Twins and have a chance to be the guy.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Again, if Brassard ++ gets it done, I think you do it and you run.
That is a sizable "if", but, provided that is the case (and frankly we would have no way of knowing that unless that deal does actually happen), I would agree.

I'm just worried about, if Ryan doesn't become a Blue Jacket, folks making the irrational leap from "if it's possible" to "it was very possible, fire Howson" as has happened so many times with so many players.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
I was just looking through some old videos and found from this year that I really think shows "classic dubinsky". It's not a highlight reel goal, it just shows the kind of game he plays when he's effective.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I was just looking through some old videos and found from this year that I really think shows "classic dubinsky". It's not a highlight reel goal, it just shows the kind of game he plays when he's effective.

Thats what im most excited about dubinsky, he seems to play really smart and very aggresive. Hes gonna bring a whole new style a of play to columbus. I want to see him on a line with Foligno.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Thats what im most excited about dubinsky, he seems to play really smart and very aggresive. Hes gonna bring a whole new style a of play to columbus. I want to see him on a line with Foligno.
If he played that kind of grinder's game all the time, he'd be a 65+ point player. I know it sounds weird, but once he starts having success with the grinding game and putting up points, he starts thinking he's a superstar and tries to do way too much and isn't succesful at it. He needs to get his head straight and figure out what kind of player he is.

This past year was a bit different. His play away from the puck was just as great and he put in the same amount of effort - but he didn't try any superman stunts and only rarely came through like he did in that video. FWIW, I think he thrives when he gets to play a big role. JMFJ is kind of the same thing.

I'll definitely be following more jackets games this year to see how our ex-players are doing.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I can't imagine Johansen is available, he is our only prospect with legitimate top-line potential
I agree and I hope he isn't.. I was just saying that to comment that we don't have the pieces to get bobby ryan is shenanigans.

Like I said in another thread, I ran into Ryan a month ago and he looks jacked up and that has me excited about how it is going to change his game.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
I agree and I hope he isn't.. I was just saying that to comment that we don't have the pieces to get bobby ryan is shenanigans.

Like I said in another thread, I ran into Ryan a month ago and he looks jacked up and that has me excited about how it is going to change his game.
It was this drive that made the Edmonton Oilers want to trade with us to draft him. I'm glad Scott asked for Eberle there, because it had to be either Eberle or Johansen for us.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
slightlystewpid420

This is more torwards next offseason/trade deadline but CBJ needs to stock up and as many picks as possible. Then come closer to the trade deadline or end of the season when we know where everyones gonna finish we need to trade to 2 top 5-10 picks and draft Shinkaruk and Monahan. We already have the depth and D corps, go out and draft 2-3 STUDS and this team *should* grow into a unstoppable machine..

Old
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
If he played that kind of grinder's game all the time, he'd be a 65+ point player. I know it sounds weird, but once he starts having success with the grinding game and putting up points, he starts thinking he's a superstar and tries to do way too much and isn't succesful at it. He needs to get his head straight and figure out what kind of player he is.

This past year was a bit different. His play away from the puck was just as great and he put in the same amount of effort - but he didn't try any superman stunts and only rarely came through like he did in that video. FWIW, I think he thrives when he gets to play a big role. JMFJ is kind of the same thing.

I'll definitely be following more jackets games this year to see how our ex-players are doing.
Thats what im really excited about. Dubinsky and Foligno are both in the same boat. Foligno already said he wants to be more physical come out play put more points up and be on the ice in every situation. If he can JJ can bring that kind of inspiration to the entire team this club will have a very bright future. We kinda have things backwards. SUPER phyiscal offense with a highly skilled offensive minded defense haha.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
That would never get it done.....

Then again, I never thought Rick Nash would only get a couple 2/3 liners, prospect and a pick.

I guess that deal is similiar to the Nash deal kinda.

Hell yeah I'd do it (no brainer).
Does Ryan have a NTC?

07-25-2012, 09:55 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Does Ryan have a NTC?
Nope

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I say we start posting how Murray is going to have to accept whatever garbage he gets offered because he's got a disgruntled player who wants out and he has no leverage. And then see if Ducks posters will reply with "He has not 'demanded' a trade. We don't have to trade him."

That would be awesome.
Good fun!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:20 AM
thebus2288

would you guys do Jackets and Rangers 2013 1sts+Erixon+Calvert for Ryan??

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:24 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
No way. Our 1st isn't going anywhere

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:49 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
**** no.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:03 AM
thebus2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
No way. Our 1st isn't going anywhere
OK with Ryan playoffs are more than possible, so anywhere from 10-20 isnt that big a deal. How bout LA's instead?? Although I think its 50/50 that we finish ahead of the Kings no matter what. I actually really feel its gonna be another Bruins/Leafs/Seguin situation. All thats holding us back from a top3 pick is Quicks ACL.

Throw Colton out there tell him to take 1 for the team.

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
blahblah

Quote:
OK with Ryan playoffs are more than possible, so anywhere from 10-20 isnt that big a deal. How bout LA's instead?? Although I think its 50/50 that we finish ahead of the Kings no matter what. I actually really feel its gonna be another Bruins/Leafs/Seguin situation. All thats holding us back from a top3 pick is Quicks ACL.

Calvert and a 1st is a good place to start (not ours, I don't care how you are trying to justify it in your mind). They are only at 54 million, they are going to have to take some payroll back unless they fill that with a FA. This is why we have Brassard in there. I'm sure their management wants, at a minimum, a top six forward back.

If they are looking for a defensive prospect, I'm not sure we are flipping Erixon back already. They could probably pull out a Moore or Savard right now.

Basically I find your offer broke on many levels.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about with LA. That's just odd. I get the general idea, but it forms some unjustifiable conclusions.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
I realise we're talking about Howson here, but TWO FIRSTS plus a guy we just traded for in a trade for Ryan would be asinine. I could see one first (ideally LA's) and Calvert as part of the package, but considering what we got for Nash, your proposal wouldn't work. Or at least, shouldn't. Then again, with Howson, you never know.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not totally sold on Erixon, but I find it poor form to trade a guy you just traded for.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
EDIT: To be fair, I'm not totally sold on Erixon, but I find it poor form to trade a guy you just traded for.
The more time that goes on the more accurate this statement is.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

This makes hardly any sense. Even with Bobby Ryan, we aren't a playoff team IMO. We wouldn't be a playoff team with Nash, and we wouldn't be a playoff team with Ryan. I actually prefer the group we have right now, because nobody can come to this team with the attitude that they're guaranteed a top line spot. Everyone will have to compete and earn whatever they get. With this group of competitors, it's going to be easy to look up and down the sheet and say "where does the scoring come from?" ... but, at least you can't look at it and say "man, they should be scoring more". These guys will work hard, throw Bobby Ryan into the mix, and you get a guy who thinks he's entitled to it.

I'm not against trading for Bobby Ryan, but saying that he makes us a playoff team is going out on a limb.

Also, stating that we have a 50/50 of finishing ahead of the Kings is rather bold. They won the Stanley Cup in one of the more dominant playoff runs any of us have or will ever see, and will have literally every important piece of that team returning next season. Jonathan Bernier is still a King, and many of the folks around here think he's good enough to come here and be a winner - why can't he fill in for Jonathan Quick while he's injured, while playing for a much better team? They may not be the same as they were in the playoffs, but even a half effort from that team will be far better than our team over an 82 game season.

Lastly, I wouldn't compare this to the Leafs/Bruins situation in a good way. While Bobby Ryan and Phil Kessel are somewhat comparable players, there's no way we should give up that kind of bounty when we're mired in a rebuild, particularly not when any of those picks could become a lottery pick. The Leafs were (and are) crazy for making that deal; Brian Burke should have known better what his assets were and made his moves accordingly, as the Leafs were in no shape to be building with that sort of talent. As the Jackets are not.

Would you rather have Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, and Dougie Hamilton, or just Phil Kessel? The Jackets, in trading away that package, would hypothetically be giving up more. The two first rounders could amount to anything (in a particularly deep draft); Matt Calvert is certainly comparable to Jared Knight, and we'd be throwing in Tim Erixon, all for one player that we don't really have a need for. Let a competing team overpay for Bobby Ryan.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This makes hardly any sense. Even with Bobby Ryan, we aren't a playoff team IMO. We wouldn't be a playoff team with Nash, and we wouldn't be a playoff team with Ryan. I actually prefer the group we have right now, because nobody can come to this team with the attitude that they're guaranteed a top line spot. Everyone will have to compete and earn whatever they get. With this group of competitors, it's going to be easy to look up and down the sheet and say "where does the scoring come from?" ... but, at least you can't look at it and say "man, they should be scoring more". These guys will work hard, throw Bobby Ryan into the mix, and you get a guy who thinks he's entitled to it.

I'm not against trading for Bobby Ryan, but saying that he makes us a playoff team is going out on a limb.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This makes hardly any sense. Even with Bobby Ryan, we aren't a playoff team IMO.
We really didn't have a playoff team when we made the playoffs. The line is fine for winning or losing in the NHL. We don't have the top end talent to dominate, but we have the potential to be a team.

I wouldn't count this team out of anything. The identity is starting to become clear.

What we currently don't have is that player that can carry the team, at least as a forward. We do have a couple of candidates for doing that. The advantage with that, is there really is no one to focus on for the opposing team to shut down. We have a very dynamic defensive group, that has the potential to make our forwards look better than they are. We also have 3 dmen that could end up with 10+ goals for the year.

My point is, this is a much different team than we've seen in the past. It will be interesting to see how this team gels.

There are a lot of if's, there is also a lot of potential. In my opinion, I think the potential is a lot more realistic than in the past.

I would be surprised if we finished with less than 85 points if we have a full season.