HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We really didn't have a playoff team when we made the playoffs. The line is fine for winning or losing in the NHL. We don't have the top end talent to dominate, but we have the potential to be a team.

I wouldn't count this team out of anything. The identity is starting to become clear.

What we currently don't have is that player that can carry the team, at least as a forward. We do have a couple of candidates for doing that. The advantage with that, is there really is no one to focus on for the opposing team to shut down. We have a very dynamic defensive group, that has the potential to make our forwards look better than they are. We also have 3 dmen that could end up with 10+ goals for the year.

My point is, this is a much different team than we've seen in the past. It will be interesting to see how this team gels.

There are a lot of if's, there is also a lot of potential. In my opinion, I think the potential is a lot more realistic than in the past.

I would be surprised if we finished with less than 85 points if we have a full season.
That's a very interesting and optimistic take. To an extent, I agree, and I'm certainly anxious to see how it plays out on the ice. I would, however, be in favor of trying to bring in Ryan to play right wing on the top line, if he could be gotten for Brassard, Savard/Goloubev/Ruth/etc., and either of the lower first round picks. If not, then go with what we have up front. The defense may not be equal to the best in the league, but it is by far the best we've ever seen, here, and may possibly grow together into a really good unit. I still hold out hope for improvement in goal, that's the one element I fear could ruin a potentially entertaining season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's a very interesting and optimistic take. To an extent, I agree, and I'm certainly anxious to see how it plays out on the ice. I would, however, be in favor of trying to bring in Ryan to play right wing on the top line, if he could be gotten for Brassard, Savard/Goloubev/Ruth/etc., and either of the lower first round picks. If not, then go with what we have up front. The defense may not be equal to the best in the league, but it is by far the best we've ever seen, here, and may possibly grow together into a really good unit. I still hold out hope for improvement in goal, that's the one element I fear could ruin a potentially entertaining season.
That's what scares me about this season. Going into the year "holding out hope" with your goalies is never good.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
That's what scares me about this season. Going into the year "holding out hope" with your goalies is never good.
Absolutely! Didn't we try that once or even twice before? I think we'd be better off trading for a 1b goalie than a right winger at this point if we had to choose between the two. I'd love to have Greiss from San Jose - and they've got enough goalies in their system to not miss him. The right wing is still important, but it's the second priority.

Last edited by leesmith: 07-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Absolutely! Didn't we try that once or even twice before?
Yep. For me this season is either the ultimate breakout or the final goodbye for Steve Mason. I don't know much about Bob.

And for me, this season is either everything goes right and we make the playoffs, or everything goes wrong and we get first overall (or 2nd if Oilers are in lotto contention.) No in between IMO.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
EDM

I think the team as it now stands will be entertaining, as was the Year One team. I am glad that Nash is gone. I think I can get into watching and cheering for Dub's style of play far more than Nash's approach. My biggest fear is that Mason is still here to haunt us. I can see an injury to Bob putting him out of a couple of weeks which would be more than enough time for Mason to destroy the entire attitude of the team. I am ok with what has been done so far. But the thought of Mason in a CBJ jersey still terrifies me.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Absolutely! Didn't we try that once or even twice before? I think we'd be better off trading for a 1b goalie than a right winger at this point if we had to choose between the two. I'd love to have Greiss from San Jose - and they've got enough goalies in their system to not miss him. The right wing is still important, but it's the second priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I think the team as it now stands will be entertaining, as was the Year One team. I am glad that Nash is gone. I think I can get into watching and cheering for Dub's style of play far more than Nash's approach. My biggest fear is that Mason is still here to haunt us. I can see an injury to Bob putting him out of a couple of weeks which would be more than enough time for Mason to destroy the entire attitude of the team. I am ok with what has been done so far. But the thought of Mason in a CBJ jersey still terrifies me.
Two threads in a row that I have to quote you two and agree with your posts. What's this world coming to?

Old
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yep. For me this season is either the ultimate breakout or the final goodbye for Steve Mason. I don't know much about Bob.

And for me, this season is either everything goes right and we make the playoffs, or everything goes wrong and we get first overall (or 2nd if Oilers are in lotto contention.) No in between IMO.
We win in either of those two scenarios. We only lose with "in between," which gets you thinking about who is movable at the trade deadline should we find ourselves in 11th place with little hope of making the playoffs.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
We really didn't have a playoff team when we made the playoffs. The line is fine for winning or losing in the NHL. We don't have the top end talent to dominate, but we have the potential to be a team.

I wouldn't count this team out of anything. The identity is starting to become clear.

What we currently don't have is that player that can carry the team, at least as a forward. We do have a couple of candidates for doing that. The advantage with that, is there really is no one to focus on for the opposing team to shut down. We have a very dynamic defensive group, that has the potential to make our forwards look better than they are. We also have 3 dmen that could end up with 10+ goals for the year.

My point is, this is a much different team than we've seen in the past. It will be interesting to see how this team gels.

There are a lot of if's, there is also a lot of potential. In my opinion, I think the potential is a lot more realistic than in the past.

I would be surprised if we finished with less than 85 points if we have a full season.
Probably the most optimistic take on the CBJ I've seen you post.

Edit: entirely agree with your take.

Last edited by Roadman: 07-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:

This is an awesome post.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Damned if I wasn't going to post that, despite how cool it would be to acquire Bobby Ryan or another legit scoring winger, I'd rather - assuming only one move - do something about the goaltending.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Two threads in a row that I have to quote you two and agree with your posts. What's this world coming to?
Folks are starting to see a more coherent plan. It's cause for optimism, because it wasn't visible to folks before.

What I'm seeing is a slightly modified plan, myself. Modified for the better IMO. I really do think Patrick's taken what Howson originally had in mind and helped him tweak it to hopefully work.

Incidentally, most of why I like the idea of adding Ryan is because he'd likely have the same "i'ma gonna prove everybody wrong" attitude coming in, which might mesh well (and, of course, talent). But I can also see the reasoning behind "let's not have anyone who's guaranteed on the top line".

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I agree EDM. Mason does not need to be around or near this team.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Clearly, all of us are concerned by the lack of proven goal scoring from our current forwards. One name that seems to surface, briefly, then disappear is one Kiristian Huselius. What are the feelings of the group regarding resigning Juice? He has had injury problems the past two years, but, prior to that, he was a dependable top six scoring forward. His pluses and minuses are well-known, here, and I never got the impression that he was part of the country club set. Personally, I would like to see him return on a reasonable contract. Might anyone think the question is worthy of a poll?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:20 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Clearly, all of us are concerned by the lack of proven goal scoring from our current forwards. One name that seems to surface, briefly, then disappear is one Kiristian Huselius. What are the feelings of the group regarding resigning Juice? He has had injury problems the past two years, but, prior to that, he was a dependable top six scoring forward. His pluses and minuses are well-known, here, and I never got the impression that he was part of the country club set. Personally, I would like to see him return on a reasonable contract. Might anyone think the question is worthy of a poll?
I would have no problem bring Huselius back if he is healthy and will sign a one year reasonable contract.

07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I would take Juice back for a 1 year $2 million deal. Wouldn't do much more than that.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I've been thinking about Juice since the Nash trade and wondered if resigning him to a 1 year conservative contract was an option. I wonder if something of that sort has been offered and he is waiting for something longer term before he makes a decision. I think it would be worth the gamble for $2-$2.5M if he would go for it. I'm also not sure if he is medically cleared to play yet. I don't know how to find out. ???

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Stretch Factor

Assuming Juice is healthy.
Assuming he signs for 1 year at $2m or less.
Assuming he's willing and able to be part of The Lunch Pail Gang.

I see no reason not to sign Juice. I'd think he would come back on fire in a contract year. Plus he would get noticed plenty and we might be able to flip him at the deadline for another draft pick.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I like Juice, but I don't want him back... yes he's a very skilled and talented goal scorer but he's also injury prone.. save the money.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

If Nash wasn't traded, I'd want juice back. He was one of the few linemates that worked well with Nash. He didn't defer to him like the younger players did.

However, Nash is gone and we got two top-nine forwards in return. Bringing juice back may push Cam out of the top six. I'd rather roll the dice with Cam right now, than to roll the dice on a healthy juice. if cam struggles out of the gate, maybe I'll feel differently, but I say let the kid play and grow.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
db2011

What happens in the "The pete goegan kristian Huselius Poll" stays in the "The pete goegan kristian Huselius Poll".

I would resign Juice. I liked him before we needed proven scoring (even though he'd drive us crazy sometimes). He has a history here and as someone pointed out already, could be moved at the trade deadline.

db2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a link to an interview with Jack Johnson from Rob Mixer's blog:

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=10742

Some interesting thoughts on the versatility needed to face differing playing styles in the playoffs.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
ColumbusBlueJackets
Rookie User

Was Howson crazy by not trying to get Semin

Right now the Blue Jackets need a top 6 right winger and Semin would have been a great fit into the line-up.

What are your thoughts?
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Howson is and we need

ColumbusBlueJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Fight Strap

Maybe he did try.

Fight Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

If what we hear about Semin not being a team guy is true and it seems that his asking price really was $7mil a year I am glad Howson did not go after him.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
cbj21

Not a big fan to speak mildly.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote