HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XII): Doan met with Rangers on Friday

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Playing Callahan, who is superior to Doan in every aspect of his game, on the third line makes no sense to me. Why would you take the better scorer and play him less minutes or, even if you parcel out the ice time evenly, play him with the worse passer, AA or Boyle, instead of Stepan? That only serves to weaken hour team.
I should have been more specific. The names were in no specific order in terms of line depth.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401084

The Pittsburgh Penguins have named Dr. Christopher Harner to lead the team's medical staff.

Harner replaces Dr. Charles Burke, who was removed after 24 years on the job earlier this week.

about time....repeat concussions for several players...it was time they changed something in their medica staff

He's going to build a force field around the players?

Old
07-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
He's going to build a force field around the players?
lol...no but to allow a player back on the ice after a major blow to the head and then allowing to play a couple more games and then be out almost a full year...and that happened with a couple different players there in pittsburgh.

i hope this will help them make better decisions

Old
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
lol...no but to allow a player back on the ice after a major blow to the head and then allowing to play a couple more games and then be out almost a full year...and that happened with a couple different players there in pittsburgh.

um.. boyle was let back on the ice after his hit... should our medical staff be fired?

that's a sorry argument. concussions are tough to evaluate on the ice. only the player can know the extent and most of the time symptoms don't occur right away.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Chimp

A NYR team significantly under the cap and was so when we got to the ECF. This feels like twilight zone.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
um.. boyle was let back on the ice after his hit... should our medical staff be fired?

that's a sorry argument. concussions are tough to evaluate on the ice. only the player can know the extent and most of the time symptoms don't occur right away.
i did not think boyle should not have been let back on the ice, he was for one shift or so then directly off and did not play for several games...but pittsburgh's medical staff was under scrutiny with the crosby concussions and others...it seemed like they screwed up...all im saying is i felt a change was needed there and it happened and i think thatll be better for them and the players

Old
07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
hadrian

Quote:

While the Pens' staff definitely made a lot of mistakes the past few years, them getting fired (the entire medical staff was fired) is more due to the Pens' new relationship with UPMC than any real dissatisfaction with the old staff.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Pretty sure Crosby had some sort of neck injury that they didn't pick up on and allowed him to play and he went to a different doctor who found he had like a chip of bone floating around or something.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:19 PM
nsvoyageurs

I only post this to show the stupidity of the tweet. I don't think I want to know what this person is taking. I only hope he's kidding, or showing the absurdity of this concept:

Brian Monzo ‏@BMonzoWFAN

#TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Old
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
I only post this to show the stupidity of the tweet. I don't think I want to know what this person is taking. I only hope he's kidding, or showing the absurdity of this concept:

Brian Monzo ‏@BMonzoWFAN

#TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash #TradeStepanForNash
Expand

Retweet
Favorite
he's absurd delusional all of of the above. Look at the twitter war i had with him @sleeplesssss

Old
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post

Brian Monzo ‏@BMonzoWFAN

Expand

Retweet
Favorite
Does he know that Stepan plays center, and it would create a big hole in our lineup if we traded him?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Does he know that Stepan plays center, and it would create a big hole in our lineup if we traded him?
no, don't think he does.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I like when they give these UFAs a tour of NYC. They've all visited as players. They're minds are usually made up. The only reason why Western Canadian guys sign here is because they like to party or are offered more than they're worth. Richards is an East Coast Canadian and he had the Torts angle. What does Doan have? He's married, doesn't party anymore and the Rangers won't outspend everyone to get him here.

If Doan takes less money/term to come here, I will eat breakfast in Canada for 30 days straight as a gesture of gratitude
Maybe I'm wrong but I had the impression that Doan is and has always been very religious which makes me wonder just how much of a partier he ever was.

At least from my perspective if you can get Doan for two years--you're only giving up cap space--he's not likely going to deteriorate to the point where you'd bury him in the minors so the 35+ thing is really not all that consequential. In the meantime you have two years to find a better goal scoring option than Rick Nash and his 6 year $7.8 mil contract which is elite money for a long period of time for more than likely less than elite production and at the cost of players, prospects, draft picks. Meanwhile two years is up--you can walk away from Doan and revisit free agent scoring forwards again--in other words you're not cutting off other options for the next several years and you're keeping all the kids you developed. You're not gambling on what the cap will look like before the ink of new CBA is dry. It's smarter IMO.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
no, don't think he does.
I asked him if he knew if stepan played center and here was his response...

Brian Monzo ‏@BMonzoWFAN
@sleeplesssssss I wouldn't care if he played the accordion.

haha the guy doesnt know a damn thing about hockey

Old
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I had the impression that Doan is and has always been very religious which makes me wonder just how much of a partier he ever was.

At least from my perspective if you can get Doan for two years--you're only giving up cap space--he's not likely going to deteriorate to the point where you'd bury him in the minors so the 35+ thing is really not all that consequential. In the meantime you have two years to find a better goal scoring option than Rick Nash and his 6 year $7.8 mil contract which is elite money for a long period of time for more than likely less than elite production and at the cost of players, prospects, draft picks. Meanwhile two years is up--you can walk away from Doan and revisit free agent scoring forwards again--in other words you're not cutting off other options for the next several years and you're keeping all the kids you developed. You're not gambling on what the cap will look like before the ink of new CBA is dry. It's smarter IMO.
Completely agree. But can you get Doan for 2 years? Seems like that would be a very low risk investment...but you have to think there are at least a couple teams out there who would be willing to offer him 3, or dare I say 4 years, no?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I asked him if he knew if stepan played center and here was his response...

Brian Monzo ‏@BMonzoWFAN
@sleeplesssssss I wouldn't care if he played the accordion.

haha the guy doesnt know a damn thing about hockey
Hilarious. First person to post a pic of Stepan playing the accordion wins. lol

Old
07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
mcsauer2738

People dont realize that it's not top end talent that wins championships it's depth. The 2011 bruins leading scorer that year was milan lucic with 30 goals, this year the kings didn't have 1 single 30 goal scorer. What both teams had was great depth and goaltending. We have the great goaltending now our missing piece to the puzzle is shane doan lets wrap him up and get this cup.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Playing Callahan, who is superior to Doan in every aspect of his game, on the third line makes no sense to me. Why would you take the better scorer and play him less minutes or, even if you parcel out the ice time evenly, play him with the worse passer, AA or Boyle, instead of Stepan? That only serves to weaken hour team.
If you had kreider/stepan/doan and dubinsky/anisimov/callahan you'd basically have 2 2nd lines...dubi and artie have played their best with cally. I wouldn't get caught up in which line is labeled 2nd or 3rd

And I could actually see the pack line used against the other teams top line so they would likely see more ice time than stepan anyway...

Big question mark with these lines to me is hagelin would still be on the #1 line. Would like to upgrade there and push hags down...and more importantly who fills in for gabby to start year

Old
07-21-2012, 12:49 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
If you had kreider/stepan/doan and dubinsky/anisimov/callahan you'd basically have 2 2nd lines...dubi and artie have played their best with cally. I wouldn't get caught up in which line is labeled 2nd or 3rd

And I could actually see the pack line used against the other teams top line so they would likely see more ice time than stepan anyway...

Big question mark with these lines to me is hagelin would still be on the #1 line. Would like to upgrade there and push hags down...and more importantly who fills in for gabby to start year
well simply put, doan/cally go there to begin the year and we rotate the 12th forward between rupp and halpern

Old
07-21-2012, 12:57 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Can people please stop with this pollyanna routine regarding Callahan's "line"? If we have a middle six of Kreider/Stepan/Doan and Dubi/AA/Callahan then we basically have two second lines. The minutes wouldn't be divvied up equally--the line that's playing better on any given night would get the extra minutes. If Callahan deserves the minutes over Doan, he'll earn them.

The gripe about playing Cally with a "worse passer" is hilarious. Callahan is not a sniper. He's a garbage goal scorer. It's part of the reason he's looked like **** every time he HAS played with Stepan. They just don't play the same kind of hockey.

I love Cally as a player, but people have to stop with this faux indignation on his behalf over whether or not he's playing on the "third" line. Cally got first line minutes last year and put up second line production. He needs to see about two minutes less toi per game if we want him to have anything left for the postseason.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
People dont realize that it's not top end talent that wins championships it's depth. The 2011 bruins leading scorer that year was milan lucic with 30 goals, this year the kings didn't have 1 single 30 goal scorer. What both teams had was great depth and goaltending. We have the great goaltending now our missing piece to the puzzle is shane doan lets wrap him up and get this cup.
I am sorry, but Boston -- who still had the best D in Chara and the best goalie -- is still basically the exception that proves the rule.

Sid& Malkin.

Zettberg& Datsyuk.

Towes& Kane.

Pronged& Neidermayer, and great depth up front. Great depth.

MSL, LeCavalier, Richards and Boyle.

Forsberg& Sakic.

Modano, Neiuwendyk and Hull.

Mario& Jagr.

Between those teams and the Devils you have what, 95% of the Cupwinners the last 20 years. And Gabby and Richards probably would rank after all tandems...

Old
07-21-2012, 01:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Completely agree. But can you get Doan for 2 years? Seems like that would be a very low risk investment...but you have to think there are at least a couple teams out there who would be willing to offer him 3, or dare I say 4 years, no?
Well--we don't know. We don't know the way that Doan is going to look at offers. One team might give him more money per year and a longer term but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll take it. He might think that that team might not have as good a chance to win a championship or he might not be comfortable with other things. How much the contract terms play into it?--how location?--how he might fit into the structure of a team?--what he thinks of the coaching staff and/or management?--how he assesses their chances of winning a cup? what he thinks his role will be for his new team and how comfortable he feels about that and the teammates he'll play with? family issues? where he'll live?

It might come down to the most money for the longest term--then again it might not.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Kershaw

What about Justin Williams and Eric Staal? I'd say Gabby/Richards are on par with that duo.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:23 PM
nsvoyageurs

BY SPECTOR, ON THE HOCKEY NEWS WEBSITE:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-neutral.html

Old
07-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What about Justin Williams and Eric Staal? I'd say Gabby/Richards are on par with that duo.
Yeah, Carolina and Montreal in 93' maybe, and you have a bunch of "depth"-teams that have come close. And one could definitely argue that the playing field is evening out more and more the longer we get into the Cap-era (IE that depth is more valuble now than early in the 20 year period I looked at).

But I definitely don't think you can say that top notch talent doesn't win the Cup, because history cleary states otherwise.

Closed Thread