HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XII): Doan met with Rangers on Friday

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 01:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
What point are you trying to make Ola?

Richards won a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe in his career, and has been among the leading scoring centers in the post lockout era.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:39 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, Carolina and Montreal in 93' maybe, and you have a bunch of "depth"-teams that have come close. And one could definitely argue that the playing field is evening out more and more the longer we get into the Cap-era (IE that depth is more valuble now than early in the 20 year period I looked at).

But I definitely don't think you can say that top notch talent doesn't win the Cup, because history cleary states otherwise.
top notch talent with depth is obviously the best of both worlds. But I'll take 4 very solid lines over a great top 6 with no depth behind it every time. When the pens won the cup their depth was great it wasn't just sid and malkin. They still had kunitz, staal, sykora, talbot, guerin, feds had a pretty decent year, dupuis i think, i mean they had great depth to complement their top 2 guys.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:41 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
well simply put, doan/cally go there to begin the year and we rotate the 12th forward between rupp and halpern
Yeah that would be the simple solution I guess. Cally stays with hags and richie, Boyle moves up to 3rd line and halpern centers 4th. Fairly big downgrade to 3rd line but hopefully short term

Old
07-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
BY SPECTOR, ON THE HOCKEY NEWS WEBSITE:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-neutral.html
so if they were interested in Doug Hamilton, surely they would be interested in Del Zotto (despite what CBJ fans seem to think)

Old
07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
can we ever look at this glass half full? Gaborik was hurt in the playoffs and if he was healthy then the team could of scored more goals and likely beat the Devils.

You really think a Shane Doan would not of helped big time? This team was close and they had a few holes.

They dont need a HR pickup line Nash they need a solid top 6 winger. Doan is also a leader and he's a UFA. No assets have to be given up which means they keep Miller, Hagelin and the team can keep Dubinsky and Anisimov in 3rd line roles
I have no idea what you are talking about. Glass half-full? Empty?

By the way, if Doan had been there last year, it's possible Kreider would not have gotten into the lineup. Certainly not a given, but a possibility.

Last edited by chosen: 07-21-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 02:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Any news on doan today?

Old
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Any news on doan today?
He met with the Flyers.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. Glass half-full? Empty?

By the way, if Doan had been there last year, it's possible Kreider would not have gotten into the lineup. Certainly not a given, but a possibility.
That's true, but I don't think if that as a bad thing. Kreider played great in the playoffs, but generally the idea of playing a guy with zero experience in the playoffs as a top 6 injury replacement isn't a good thing. It's not a situation you want to be in.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I am sorry, but Boston -- who still had the best D in Chara and the best goalie -- is still basically the exception that proves the rule.

Sid& Malkin.

Zettberg& Datsyuk.

Towes& Kane.

Pronged& Neidermayer, and great depth up front. Great depth.

MSL, LeCavalier, Richards and Boyle.

Forsberg& Sakic.

Modano, Neiuwendyk and Hull.

Mario& Jagr.

Between those teams and the Devils you have what, 95% of the Cupwinners the last 20 years. And Gabby and Richards probably would rank after all tandems...
Richards is quickly becoming one of the most underrated players in the league.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Anisimov played LW and had a weak year.

Put him back at center where he belongs.
Sign Doan.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Stepan - Doan
Dubi - AA - Callahan

Old
07-21-2012, 03:04 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Yesterday was not an ideal day to tour the city. lol

Old
07-21-2012, 03:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sign Doan.

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Stepan - Doan
Dubi - AA - Callahan
Pretty solid top 9...particularly if Dubi could get his game together. Still think he'll want too many years to make signing him worthwhile.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What point are you trying to make Ola?

Richards won a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe in his career, and has been among the leading scoring centers in the post lockout era.
What point are you trying to make Supersonic?

Brad Richards had a pretty good chance at stepping up and carry this team 3 months ago in the PO's. But he did not and he was honestly way behind someone like Ilya Kovalchuk in terms of doing so.

Brad Richards has superb offensive instincts and he is an elite PPQB. No doubt about it. His shot is really good.

But you can't seriously try to argue that he is the type who will carry a team in the PO's. He is often invisible on the ice. Put in a perfect environment, he will put points like few others. But he will never on a shift by shift basis dominate the ice. Never. Not even remotely.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

Brad Richards had a pretty good chance at stepping up and carry this team 3 months ago in the PO's. But he did not and he was honestly way behind someone like Ilya Kovalchuk in terms of doing so.

Brad Richards has superb offensive instincts and he is an elite PPQB. No doubt about it. His shot is really good.

But you can't seriously try to argue that he is the type who will carry a team in the PO's. He is often invisible on the ice. Put in a perfect environment, he will put points like few others. But he will never on a shift by shift basis dominate the ice. Never. Not even remotely.
How many players in the league dominate every shift they are on the ice? I would make the argument that zero do, but being generous I would say 4 or 5 do almost ever shift:

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Ovechkin (arguable lately)
Datsyuk (?)

Richards is very comparable to other top centers in the league who are not on that list. All of those in his class also need other players of skill to help them generate scoring. They can only do so much themselves, and only do it once in awhile.

07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
How many players in the league dominate every shift they are on the ice? I would make the argument that zero do, but being generous I would say 4 or 5 do almost ever shift:

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Ovechkin (arguable lately)
Datsyuk (?)

Richards is very comparable to other top centers in the league who are not on that list. All of those in his class also need other players of skill to help them generate scoring. They can only do so much themselves, and only do it once in awhile.
There are more than a few centers in the league who would slot ahead of Richards besides the ones you mentioned.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
There are more than a few centers in the league who would slot ahead of Richards besides the ones you mentioned.
I dare not mention that Richards isn't a top 10 center again for fear people will accuse me of being a Ranger hater. lol As if that's some terrible disparagement of Brad.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I love Richards and I'm glad he signed here long term, but I'm not a homer and I'd take many centers over him. (Age and potential taken into consideration)

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Backstrom
Bergeron
Giroux
Spezza
Tavares
H.Sedin
Zetterberg
Toews
Thornton
Couture
Kopitar
Benn
Getzlaf
Nugent-Hopkins

Old
07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I dare not mention that Richards isn't a top 10 center again for fear people will accuse me of being a Ranger hater. lol As if that's some terrible disparagement of Brad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I love Richards and I'm glad he signed here long term, but I'm not a homer and I'd take many centers over him. (Age and potential taken into consideration)

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Backstrom
Bergeron
Giroux
Spezza
Tavares
H.Sedin
Zetterberg
Toews
Thornton
Couture
Kopitar
Benn
Getzlaf
Nugent-Hopkins

You guys are misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying Richards is better than any of those guys you listed, but he is definitely in the same league with most of them over his career. Would I take RNH or Claude Giroux over Richards at this point? Of course I would, for the age difference alone, but if RNH or Giroux had a career like Richards did, I would be thrilled as a fan of their teams, respectively.

The point I was making is that only a handful of players "dominate" the ice every single shift they are out there, so to say Richards cannot be relied on to do that is a "no duh" statement.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:07 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think Richards will be better next year. It took awhile for him to get comfortable. But when he did he was unbelievable at the end of the year

Old
07-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Ail
k.

Also, regarding Doan, he's definitely not on my list of players I would hope to see in Ranger blue, and I really feel all of this is just posturing waiting to figure out what's going on in Phoenix, but I'm certainly not opposed to signing him. He could definitely still play and would be valuable come playoff time.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think Richards will be better next year. It took awhile for him to get comfortable. But when he did he was unbelievable at the end of the year
I agree. And while he did tail off towards the end of our playoff run, the guy was on fire for a while.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Richards is quickly becoming one of the most underrated players in the league.
He's always been.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Malkin
Crosby
Datsyuk
Stamkos
Backstrom
Bergeron
Giroux
Spezza
Tavares
H.Sedin
Zetterberg
Toews
Thornton
Couture
Kopitar
Benn
Getzlaf
Nugent-Hopkins
And yet, how many have out produced Richards post-lockout?

And how many have a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe?

Old
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

You know one of, if not the, main reason the Rangers elevated their game and were able to maintain an even level throughout the season and into the playoffs...was because of the influence of Richards on and off the ice, right?

Richards disappeared? 15 points in 20 playoff games would suggest otherwise. The entire team was banged up and injured and exhausted by the time they reached the Conference Finals. Richards fault?

He's consistently been one of the top centers in the game since 04. How many centers have out produced Richards in that period of time?

Are you suggesting he isn't the guy to lead this team? Because that would be wrong. The impact he's made is glaring.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:59 PM
NikC

Richards didn't have his best #s his first year with the Rangers, but so what? He didn't play with Gaborik all season, and he had an Nhl freshman playing with him in Hagelin who's shot couldn't find the net if his life depended upon it.

BR has scored some huge goals for this team, but once again there hardly any top scoring talent for him to center outside of Gaborik, and maybe Callahan who's a grinder. the offensive burden is too great for so few on this club.

Closed Thread