HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl - Philly

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Greenstickytoes*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
True...thought you meant Sean. Even so...my dad was born in Cleveland. Do I care...nope. I understand that you're proud of your heritage and such, but I doubt it really means much to NHL players
i know but i just want to have the quebecer heritage again.
usually when we have a lot of quebecers they give it their all
and play more with the heart then for the money even tho its not
the same anymore...

Old
07-20-2012, 10:13 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstickytoes View Post
yea i kno but franco-ontarian to me is like quebecer...
he talks perfectly french like a fench quebecer. same accent everything.
he used to live close to my neighborhood, i don't remember the name
but he did live in quebec for a while..
I am sure he speaks perfect Canadian French and enjoyed his time in Gatineau. Just pointing out that, back in the day, the Habs would have had no claim to him.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
i know but i just want to have the quebecer heritage again.
usually when we have a lot of quebecers they give it their all
and play more with the heart then for the money even tho its not
the same anymore...
Not this again. That heritage is ancient history. It was different when there were 6-12 teams in the league. Now that there's 30, francophone players are, by definition, going to be ending up literally all over the map.

Besides, I can think of several francophone we've had that were far from heart and soul players, nor were they very talented. Lapierre, Ribeiro, Latendresse, Begin (ugh), etc. These aren't the days of the Rocket or the Flower anymore.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
did you know the 29 other teams don't have 24 cups?
Thank god this is just a proposal board.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I am sure he speaks perfect Canadian French and enjoyed his time in Gatineau. Just pointing out that, back in the day, the Habs would have had no claim to him.
yea prob not. but whats wrong with me wanting to have quebecers on the team?
i like having hometown players.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:23 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You should visit the habs board from time to time.

Little known fact is that the majority of the habs board is french:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...775&highlight=

Now, if you go on the habs board, 95% will say get the best guy and not players by name or language. I think you forget this is a hockey board where we look at a player's talent rather than his nationality. I won't say much more in this thread, but we want the best players. Habs haven't won in almost 2 decades, we need to control our assets and maximize them, let it go
I'm a bit confused by all this. I know some hab fans and the media pushed for a French coach when Cunnyworth was given the job. I'm not sure he was the best person for the job but he wasn't really given a chance. And the Habs replaced the coach and much of the management staff this summer with people from the area or command of the french language.

I don't see why this thinking can't also apply to more of the players as well.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
yea prob not. but whats wrong with me wanting to have quebecers on the team?
i like having hometown players.
You need Briere on your team.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I'm a bit confused by all this. I know some hab fans and the media pushed for a French coach when Cunnyworth was given the job. I'm not sure he was the best person for the job but he wasn't really given a chance. And the Habs replaced the coach and much of the management staff this summer with people from the area or command of the french language.

OMG finally someone who understands!!
thank you!!

Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
You need Briere on your team.
we also need Talbot, Couturier, Giroux

Old
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post

Because the # of players from Quebec in the NHL has decreased big time?

The OHL is probably the best development league in the world. The QMJHL brings some players, but the majority of which are import players. As a matter of fact, top prospect Mckinnon plays in the Q but not a quebecer. Sure, the habs got a few locals to be part of the management team, something I'm not particularly thrilled with although I'll give them a chance...but why force anything else? it's pretty much known galchenyuk is a top prospect and couturier has a great upside as well. Now...we're suggesting trading one for the other and adding a lot just because the kid's dad is from Quebec. I mean...I like Couturier and all but what's the point? Sure, there's a lot of talented quebec locals around the league. Vlasic, Gagne, Lecavalier, St Louis, Bergeron, etc... and I'd like them on the habs, but we're talking about a select few distributed over 30 NHL teams. Quebec has failed to produce many stars in recent times and the NHL has grown since the glory days. The talent from quebec is harder to find. Bergevin has gone on record saying he'd love to add locals, but it has to be a fit. I'm sure over time we'll try but why force it with dumb trades? In fact, Bergevin spoke to PAP's agent, PAP went to colorado. Gainey had a deal for Lecavalier, it was vetoed last second. I mean, they try, they really do, but I don't know if you recall but the rumored deal for lecavalier was:

Subban
Plekanec
Gorges
Higgins
Draft picks

Call me crazy but hey, sometimes forcing it will bite you in the ass later. Imagine habs lost that now? Jesus...Sometimes you gotta just draft and grow your own prospects and hope you get a local talent as well. I have no issue with it, but one day we'll get our own couturier, our own giroux, lecavalier and whoever else can be deemed related to quebec but it takes patience. These guys aren't all UFAs. It's tough and you gotta build through the draft. For every pick you give up for another guy, it's one less opportunity to get a local talent.

Also, for the record, it was 'some'. A lot of the habs board, a strong majority, wanting the best coach available. That's it. We could argue all day if they did get him or not, but a select minority were pushing hard for the french coach stuff. Some prefer it, some don't care and some are loco over it. The end result is most were passive on the language portion.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
we also need Talbot, Couturier, Giroux
We need them more. I'll throw in Gervais with Briere because I'm feeling generous.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
ok give the list of quebecers that were ranked higher than the quebecers i named
and ill name you the U.S, Midwest and Notheast players that were ranked over
the quebecers i named ok?
i really don't think you want to go down that road..
you will be very wrong..
You realize you're attitude is why neutral fans loathe portions of the Habs fan base, right? I know you don't care about that, but...

BTW, I'll be happy to take Price off your hands. You can have our French Canadian tandem of Mathieu Brisgaleau and Michel Leighton.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
You realize you're attitude is why neutral fans loathe portions of the Habs fan base, right? I know you don't care about that, but...

BTW, I'll be happy to take Price off your hands. You can have our French Canadian tandem of Mathieu Brisgaleau and Michel Leighton.
huh? Am I missing something?

Old
07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Because the # of players from Quebec in the NHL has decreased big time?

The OHL is probably the best development league in the world. The QMJHL brings some players, but the majority of which are import players. As a matter of fact, top prospect Mckinnon plays in the Q but not a quebecer. Sure, the habs got a few locals to be part of the management team, something I'm not particularly thrilled with although I'll give them a chance...but why force anything else? it's pretty much known galchenyuk is a top prospect and couturier has a great upside as well. Now...we're suggesting trading one for the other and adding a lot just because the kid's dad is from Quebec. I mean...I like Couturier and all but what's the point? Sure, there's a lot of talented quebec locals around the league. Vlasic, Gagne, Lecavalier, St Louis, Bergeron, etc... and I'd like them on the habs, but we're talking about a select few distributed over 30 NHL teams. Quebec has failed to produce many stars in recent times and the NHL has grown since the glory days. The talent from quebec is harder to find. Bergevin has gone on record saying he'd love to add locals, but it has to be a fit. I'm sure over time we'll try but why force it with dumb trades? In fact, Bergevin spoke to PAP's agent, PAP went to colorado. Gainey had a deal for Lecavalier, it was vetoed last second. I mean, they try, they really do, but I don't know if you recall but the rumored deal for lecavalier was:

Subban
Plekanec
Gorges
Higgins
Draft picks

Call me crazy but hey, sometimes forcing it will bite you in the ass later. Imagine habs lost that now? Jesus...Sometimes you gotta just draft and grow your own prospects and hope you get a local talent as well. I have no issue with it, but one day we'll get our own couturier, our own giroux, lecavalier and whoever else can be deemed related to quebec but it takes patience. These guys aren't all UFAs. It's tough and you gotta build through the draft. For every pick you give up for another guy, it's one less opportunity to get a local talent.

Also, for the record, it was 'some'. A lot of the habs board, a strong majority, wanting the best coach available. That's it. We could argue all day if they did get him or not, but a select minority were pushing hard for the french coach stuff. Some prefer it, some don't care and some are loco over it. The end result is most were passive on the language portion.
thats the thing tho. Galchenyuk is prob gonna be better then
Couturier but Couturier is in fact still prob going to be one hell of
a good player. thats also a reason why i proposed the trade.
Not only because he has quebecer blood..
i wouldnt give Galchenyuk for the devils 1st round quebecer named Paradis for example..
Couturier is not just a little decent player lolll.
that being said i know that its not the same anymore and i have no problem
with drafting players like Galcheyuk when there is no other Quebecers available
that have close to the same talent... im just saying that we should draft more quebecers in the first round like Giroux instead of Fischer, Gagne instead of
Chouinard or Perron instead of Pacioretty(even if Pacioretty is better).
Pacioretty is the only draft, where timmins didn't mess up out of how many??
anyways the point is if we would have drafted all the quebecers that were ranked in the first round. we would be far from being in the position we are now..

Old
07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:

wowww its not even the same caliber...
fine give me a goalie like Brodeur, luongo or Fleury and ill be glad to give you carey price
if they were the same age..

Old
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
We need them more. I'll throw in Gervais with Briere because I'm feeling generous.
yea you need our french canadiens !!
who doesn't??
they're amazing!

Old
07-20-2012, 11:15 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
wowww its not even the same caliber...
fine give me a goalie like Brodeur, luongo or Fleury and ill be glad to give you carey price
if they were the same age..
Dude, it was a joke. Lighten up.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
huh? Am I missing something?
Yes - quite a bit, actually.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:21 PM
zeeto

Quote:
that have close to the same talent... im just saying that we should draft more quebecers in the first round like Giroux instead of Fischer, Gagne instead of
anyways the point is if we would have drafted all the quebecers that were ranked in the first round. we would be far from being in the position we are now..
Your logic is abysmal.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
thats the thing tho. Galchenyuk is prob gonna be better then
Couturier but Couturier is in fact still prob going to be one hell of
a good player. thats also a reason why i proposed the trade.
Not only because he has quebecer blood..
i wouldnt give Galchenyuk for the devils 1st round quebecer named Paradis for example..
Couturier is not just a little decent player lolll.
that being said i know that its not the same anymore and i have no problem
with drafting players like Galcheyuk when there is no other Quebecers available
No doubt Couturier is gonna be a hell of a player. Habs should focus on identifying homegrown talent instead of trading for it at a premium though.

I understand what you're saying, but we're always gonna lose trades like that. Stick to what you drafted and believe in.

As for the Timmins comment. He didn't screw up the Gagne draft, he wasn't around. He did well in 2007(pacioretty, subban, mcdonagh, weber, etc..) and sure in 2006 he got fischer instead of giroux or just about anyone, but it happens. We move on.

Bergevin added scouts to Timmin's draft and made him focus on just drafting. I think we'll see more results and perhaps more local talent in the future. Be patient.

If we drafted all the quebecers/french instead of the ones we have now we'd also lose.

Pouliot over Price for example? That would be good?

Not everything works as you hope. You can't keep good but remove bad. Nothing is foolproof. understand that.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Yes - quite a bit, actually.

Michael Leighton is french canadian? Or is the michel? lol

Old
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
Your logic is abysmal.
its abysmal because we would have all these good quebecers
instead of players that aren't even in the NHL.?
idk i think your abysmal for writing a comment like that lolll

Old
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Michel Leighton is french canadian?
no he said he was joking....

Old
Montreal Shadow

Pretty obvious to me Greenstickytoes is a troll. A very bad one at that.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
no he said he was joking....
Yah big time. I'm half asleep didnt see the name change. Figure bryzgalov name was some minor leaguer and not bryz himself.

Closed Thread