Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2005, 05:23 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Cortina - Asiago: game over

(0-0;2-2;2-1)

After dropping game1 at home, Cortina never looked back, winning 4 consecutive games and joining Milano in the finals for the Italian League Title. As usual, the protagonists were Matt Cullen and Francois Gravel. Cullen played played an outstanding game while Fata and Pisani, Asiago top offensive weapons, were almost invisible. Props to Cortina head coach Nilsson, who did an amazing job: now his guys will have to climb a huge mountain, Milano is gonna be a lot tougher opponent than Asiago. But the team great playoff run proved the regular season 2nd place was no fluke. And the dream is still alive.

Game 1 will be in Milano on Saturday 19th March.
I'll be there.

Game recap - italian language only
Playoff Leading Scorers

Old
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Game 1 will be in Milano on Saturday 19th March.

Why to wait so long?

Old
03-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Ste'

What's your prediction ???

IMHO Milano - Cortina 4-1

Old
03-16-2005, 09:27 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste'
What's your prediction ???

IMHO Milano - Cortina 4-1
My prediction is exactly the same.

Btw, during Cortina-Asiago game 5 the commentators talked about the possibility of Steve Rucchin joining Cortina for the finals..

any news about that??

btw, during that game Cullen was impressive, great effort and endurance to be effective being on the ice almost all the time!

Old
03-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter
Btw, during Cortina-Asiago game 5 the commentators talked about the possibility of Steve Rucchin joining Cortina for the finals..
No idea...he wasn't on the ice for game2.
After 2 clashes the series is tied at 1, I'm really impressed by Cortina's play. They play with great composure, great discipline. Before the series I had no doubt about the winner, now I'm not so sure anymore.

This said...
LET'S GO CORTINA!
Game 2 boxscore
Game 2 recap - italian language
John Boman interview - italian language
Playoff Stats - Leading Scorers

Old
03-23-2005, 10:37 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
No idea...he wasn't on the ice for game2.
After 2 clashes the series is tied at 1, I'm really impressed by Cortina's play. They play with great composure, great discipline. Before the series I had no doubt about the winner, now I'm not so sure anymore.
Ditto!
btw, game 1 was really a heartbreaker! (there would be several things to say, but i lack the time! I was in the standings, even if missing the first two periods )

Quote:
This said...
LET'S GO CORTINA!

Old
03-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Albi

Tonite Game3 @ Milano, I'll be there.
And after the game I'll interview Matt Cullen...can't wait for it

Old
03-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Albi

Game5

The series shifts back to Milan for tonite game.
Both last clashes needed OT to determine the winner, and in both cases the home team got the win. On Thursday the Vipers came back from an early 2-0 deficit, took a 5-3 lead after the second period but then blew it up the first minutes of the 3rd. Savard netted the GWG for the Vipers after 23" in the extra session. Saturday in Cortina, Milano took a 3-1 lead midway through the game, but Cortina was once again able to force OT, when Gigi DaCorte gave his team a deserved victory with a wrister from the point.

In both games, Cullen and DiMaio came up big, scoring big goals for the respective teams.

Let's see what happens tonite, but the pressure is on the Vipers now...

Old
03-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Albi

Impressive 5-2 home win for the Vipers in game5, now Cortina has its back against the wall.

boxscore
Playoff Leading Scorers

Old
03-31-2005, 07:15 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Impressive 5-2 home win for the Vipers in game5, now Cortina has its back against the wall.

boxscore
Playoff Leading Scorers
I was there for game 5, some thoughts left in my mind after a couple of days are passed (tonight Milano should secure the title).

-I got the final result exactly right (5-2) with my prediction but the only one knowing it (you can only trust) is the friend who came with me to the game. Why i don't bet more frequently?! Btw, is it possible in Italy to bet on Hockey results?

-referee Cassol put on a show disturbing a decisive playoff game whistling a crazy amount of joke-penalties (especially in the first period. btw, i don't know if the boxscore got it right for the other two, there were more than 4 minors in the other two periods for what i remember). The most important (and less excusable considering it was already a power play) was the one which gave Milano a 5 on 3 late in the first that let the home team to take the double lead in the game.

-Someone who watched the game on TV could explain/confirm what Eriksson did on Cullen during the second period, when Matt almost ended head-first into the boards at full speed behind his net? Live i got the impression of a very dirty play by Eriksson but i am not sure.. if that was the case i would have expected a more serious reaction by Cortina's players.. think about doing something like that in NHL against the opposite team's best player...you are going to experience some deserved problems very soon..

- Cortina #3, Ciglenecky, is one of the poorest stickhandler i have ever seen play at this level.

- Cortina's players are starting to lack lucidity (read tired), as it shows by the increasing number of unusual errors..

- the first couple of goals probably prevented us from another very close contest.
The first was a FLUKE, unbelievable bouncing shorthanded goal, the second one was on the 5-3 presented by the referee.

- It's kinda strange how poorly Cortina plays on the power play considering it's a very organized team on 5-5 and 4-5 situations.

- oh, and as for Matt Cullen and his effort, once again

Old
03-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Albi

Quote:
(tonight Milano should secure the title).
Hell yeah, you were wrong!!!
I also though this was going to be the nail on the coffin, but Cortina survived.

In game6 Milano was leading 1-0 after 2 periods, but in the last 20 minutes Cullen and his teammates made a great comeback, scoring with Hult and De Bettin.

GAME 7 BABY!!!

And I'll be there

Old
04-01-2005, 03:02 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Tonite Game3 @ Milano, I'll be there.
And after the game I'll interview Matt Cullen...can't wait for it
Hey, where can we read the interview?

Quote:
Hell yeah, you were wrong!!!
YEAH!!! Even if i didn't make a clear prediction..

btw, i feel like Milano is the heavy favourite for Saturday but hey, one game is one game....

Old
04-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Albi

Quote:
Hey, where can we read the interview?
I still have to write it down. I also spoke with Sundstrom. When ready, it will be online on www.tuttohockey,com
Tomorrow after the game I have to make other interviews. Are you gonna be there? We can meet after the game close to the dressing rooms, I'm gonna wear my "gioventý giallonera" baseball cap... , so you'll notice me easily.

Old
04-01-2005, 06:04 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
I still have to write it down. I also spoke with Sundstrom. When ready, it will be online on www.tuttohockey,com
Tell when it's on!

Quote:
Tomorrow after the game I have to make other interviews. Are you gonna be there?
I don't know. I don't know if i will have a ticket...

Old
04-02-2005, 08:42 AM
helicecopter

Today's Game 7 is cancelled and postponed (not known when it will be played yet)
because of Papa's upcoming death.
This was decided and announced (to the teams as well) something like 5 hours before the game.

NO WORDS.

Old
04-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Albi

Quote:
Today's Game 7 is cancelled and postponed (not known when it will be played yet)
because of Papa's upcoming death.
This was decided and announced (to the teams as well) something like 5 hours before the game.

NO WORDS.
Game 7 will be played Tuesday evening, 8:30 pm

Old
04-05-2005, 04:15 AM
Albi

04/05/2005

TONITE IS THE NITE!

Old
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Albi

Yesterday nite the Vipers Milano beat Cortina in game7 of the Finals to win their 4th italian title in a row. All the tickets had been sold a few days ago and once again there was an amazing atmosphere in the building. About 400 die-hard fans made a 400km trip to follow their team to Milano (I watched the game with team, singing the whole team). The game was very entertaining, and it was really fun to watch. The Vipers took an early lead on the PP (DiMaio deflected a blue line shot past Francois Gravel), but midway through the 2nd Cortina tied the game at 1, with swedish Peter Strom, who was set by an amazing Matt Cullen pass. Milano answered immeditely, scoring 2 quick goals, the second again with Di Maio, who rifled a bullet under the crossbar on a nice feed by Sundstrom. In the third Cortina attempted a comeback, but they were too tired, in the last 2 minutes their coach pulled Gravel, and Sundstrom sealed the win with an empty netter.

Boxscore - click "Milano vince Gara7"
Game pics - part1

I'll post the 2nd part link as soon as it's online...my friend who takes care of it is pretty slow with his computer...

After the game, the fans were allowed to walk on the ice to celebrate with the players, it was really great. I was there also and then I moved in front of the dressing rooms, waiting for the players cause I had to make some interviews for an italian hockey website. Cortina's players were pretty sad and maybe Cullen was the saddest of all. I didn't ask him a lot about the Finals, I just spoke with him about the NHL.

He said that he hopes the 2 sides will find an agreement on a new CBA this Summer, and when I asked him if he was happy with the way Goodenow handled the whole process he answered: "Bob's doing his best. We trust him and we already gave up a lot (salaries rollback, accepting a cap), while the owners did squat". I was hoping to hear something different, but also from Italy the same old story.
He also told me that cancelling the draft was a good idea.

For about 1 hours and a half none of the Vipers went out of the dressing room, inside they were playing the album "Master of Puppets", maybe my favourite one and we could hear them singing and partying. I went to the security who was standing in front of the door and I asked if it was possible to go inside for some interviews, cause it was getting too late. Surprisingly, he let me in and I brought with me my bro with the excuse he had to take some pics for the site.

Inside it was really a mess, the game ended at 10:50 pm and when we went in it was about 1 o'clock...most of the players were still wearing their jerseys. I guess they were too busy drinking
There were beers everywhere! When Nicklas Sundstrom saw me, he said "Hey buddy, come to have a beer with me (I already spoke with him a few times)!". I was hoping for a Cortina's win, but you know, a beer is a beer...I sit with him for about 15-20 minutes, talking about everything, from soccer to NHL, from italian food to his experience in Milano. He's really a great guy, very kind. He told me he hopes the NHL will resume next September but he's not that confident, at least until something good happens between the league and NHLPA. I asked him why he didn't play in his country as all the other NHL Swedish players and he answered he wanted to try something new and he and his wife loved Milano, the fans, he said "Amazing experience, I miss the NHL, but this wasn't a wasted year. It was just a great year".

Craig Adams, a Carolina Hurricanes player, was sitting next to me and added "It wasn't a wasted year at all. When I signed for Milano I didn't know what to expect, and everything has been a pleasant surprise. I had a great feeling with the hardcore fans and for me and my family this has been an unforgettable year. About the NHL, I really don't know what to think. I heard about the replacement players and I don't think the fans will come to the rink to watch replacement players. Let's see what happens, but I trust Bob and the other guys".

I had also a quick conversation also with Rob Di Maio and, I have to tell you, he's got really a scary look. He's not a tall guy, but the way he looks at you it's kinda scary, really. His face looks like the ice after 15 minutes of play: full of signs...and it's better I don't mention his nose, Lappy's a model compared to him. He said he had a terrific experience in Milano and he enjoyed every bit of him. He said he doesn't know what he will do next season (his contract with Dallas will expire this Summer) and if he won't come to an agreement with a NHL team, he will be happy to come back.

After the 7th beer I started to feel a bit tired and considering today I had to work and it was about 2:15 in the night, I had to go home. Before I left, Adams gave me his signed stick (a cool graphite stick, too bad he's right handed while I'm left so I can't use it...no problem, I'll hang it on the wall ), and I felt happy as a kid on Christmas.

I know, as I always said, it's not the NHL.
But what a night! It was great to be part of it and talking with the players, really an unforgettable evening for me. I was happy to hear, from all the NHL players I talked with, that they had a great experience in Italy, and they liked to play here a lot, they had fun.

That's hockey. Pure FUN.

You don't need the NHL for that.
It's enough a bit of ice, a puck and 2 teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Albi-Adams.JPG‎ (48.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Sundstrom-Albi.JPG‎ (69.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg my bro-DiMaio.JPG‎ (56.7 KB, 12 views)

Old
04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
helicecopter

Wow, thanks for the report Albi!

Some things:
(btw, i wasn't able to get a ticket and didn't saw the game, on TV neither)

-I thought you were the one with the helmet in your previous avatars, but in these photos you with that cap look different..so who was that?

-I didn't think you could go around comfortably in the Saima building with that cap on your head..my old memories suggested otherwise...
anyway, i find kinda hilarious the guy who posted that big "LET'S GO CORTINA" was in their room with that cap drinking with them while they were celebrating!

-
Quote:
Before I left, Adams gave me his signed stick (a cool graphite stick, too bad he's right handed while I'm left so I can't use it...no problem, I'll hang it on the wall )
I AM right handed!!

Old
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Albi

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the report Albi!
My pleasure!

Quote:
-I thought you were the one with the helmet in your previous avatars, but in these photos you with that cap look different..so who was that?
The face is the same...it's me in both pics

Quote:
-I didn't think you could go around comfortably in the Saima building with that cap on your head..my old memories suggested otherwise...
In fact a couple people after the game stopped me asking "A Varese fan?". And I always replied "Yes. And a hockey fan".
I didn't have to fight with any idiot...

Quote:
anyway, i find kinda hilarious the guy who posted that big "LET'S GO CORTINA" was in their room with that cap drinking with them while they were celebrating!
I was there to interview players for a website (www.tuttohockey.com - l'unica cosa Ť che hanno ciccato ad impaginarlo e manca una frase all'inizio, quindi un pezzo non ha molto senso, cmq se vuoi leggerlo Ť nelle news quotidiane), and the players were not coming out from that damn locker room. So I had to go in and when I smelled the possibility I could go home with a stick, well, I played my cards
FYI, I watched the game with Cortina fans, drinking beer the whole time with them, really a hell of fun (when Strom scored we made a mess!).

Quote:
- I AM right handed!!
Good for you...

Old
04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Albi

Ah, wait, in the pics, the guy with Adams and Sundstrom is me, the one with DiMaio is my bro. I guess that's why you found a few differences with my previous avatar.

Old
04-08-2005, 05:19 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Ah, wait, in the pics, the guy with Adams and Sundstrom is me, the one with DiMaio is my bro. I guess that's why you found a few differences with my previous avatar.
No, no, i realized the one with Di Maio was someone else and that you were the one with Sundstrom and Adams..
probably it's just that i don't remember that well your face in the previous avatars..or maybe it's that bronzed and with that nice cap you are so much better looking!

Old
04-08-2005, 05:29 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
I was there to interview players for a website (www.tuttohockey.com - l'unica cosa Ť che hanno ciccato ad impaginarlo e manca una frase all'inizio, quindi un pezzo non ha molto senso, cmq se vuoi leggerlo Ť nelle news quotidiane)
Done!(letto).
As fro Helfer last comment, is a bit disappointing.. you can't hope to improve to reach the NHL level playing in the Italian league..and i guess you can't hope someone will come and offer you an NHL contract without proving yourself in a better league before.

Closed Thread