HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

JJ's latest article

Old
07-21-2012, 01:23 AM
ndgt10

vCash: 500
JJ's latest article

Pretty much what the majority on here think. Great article:

Quote:
"Just two years ago, the Chicago Blackhawks were the toast of the hockey world: young, brash, loaded with talent and Stanley Cup rings on the way.

Today, after two consecutive first round playoff exits, they appear to be in disarray, with rumors circulating that, among other things, they are no longer an organization that other players want to play for.

And in an offseason where all GM Stan Bowman has to show is the signing of Sheldon Brookbank, results (or lack thereof) speak volumes.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...gins/128/45689

Last edited by Majik1987: 07-21-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: copyright
ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:25 AM
MagicSlap*

JJ is a complete and utter tool. Nobody should listen to a word he says.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:34 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I don't understand how this is a "great article". It's like taking a compilation of the most ignorant, whiny, and uninformed posts from this board from the last 6 months and combining them into an article that is 10x more unreadable

for JJ's complaining about Saad - the guy isn't the next Crosby, that's for sure - but it's a bit premature to whine about the performance of someone who was placed on the team initially immediately after his draft year...and then got more time (for whatever it was worth) later on as a 19 year old.

Sorry...but JJ is an idiot (who, not infrequently, cites Eklund as a source of his information).

My cat has better insight into the team than does JJ.

ETA...reviewing JJ's previous blogs (to the extent you can access them) is entertaining just so you can laugh about how often he is wrong about things - and when he is right he generally regurgitates stuff from the Hawks beat writers and is invariably the last to know.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

JJ is dead on about Saad.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Rexy

I've never agreed with a single thing JJ has ever written. Until now.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:55 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

JJ covered the Hawks for HF before he moved over to the dark side at Buzzkill... I mean Hockey Buzz. I might not agree with everything he says but hes a good writer. Kudos to him for being able to make a dime about writing about the sport.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

what's good about this article? JJ doesn't know much about the sports and about the business side. He doesn't understand what he watches, if he even watches the games.

This is more like "HF Boards: best of Fire Bowman thread"

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:36 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Horrible, makes Dale Tallin look like Jesus Christ..he had his bad moments too.

You could write and 11 page article on Burke for the leafs negatively

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Whatever his previous history was, there isnt a single thing wrong with this article. Maybe because it is so obvious that even a blind squirrel (but not an apologist, lol) could find this nut?

Or maybe the apologists are right and Sheldon Brookbank was all this team needed to be a contender again.*snicker*

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:37 AM
hockeydoug

JJ is a clown.

I don't mind the rants and all the "jump off the ledge" stuff, but I would prefer there was some perspective comparing this team to the garbage we had to listen to for so many years.

I don't know if I'll end up liking or disliking Bowman's work in a couple years, but he gives us far less B.S. than what we had out of the front office for Bowman's 4 predecessors. At least Saad hasn't been pumped up for us like Poulin, Dumont, the ABC line, etc. I think fans have been pumping him up more than the front office.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

JJ has no clue about what he says, he reads HF and comes up with a copy & paste

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:17 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Whatever his previous history was, there isnt a single thing wrong with this article. Maybe because it is so obvious that even a blind squirrel (but not an apologist, lol) could find this nut?

Or maybe the apologists are right and Sheldon Brookbank was all this team needed to be a contender again.*snicker*
You cant be serious !! There's plenty of things wrong with this article.There's also lots of things right in it,but the incorrect stuff invalidates all else.You (and JJ among others) need to gain some perspective and realise that NHL management personnell(yes even the Hawks management)know more than you or I.

And before you attempt to insult me,I am not a fan of Bowman or Q.Wouldn't bother me if they were fired today.I am also not a fan of the unreasonable hatred JJ and others seem to have of all things related to Hawk management,nor of the it's not Bowman or Q"s fault crowd.I tend to fall in the middle somewhere.Some of it they caused,some of it they had/have no control over.But that's just the reasonable logical part of me taking over.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:22 AM
MagicSlap*

Exactly, you can write anything negative about any part of the organization nowadays and people will be like, "**** yea man speak the truth, don't drink the kool aid!" Am I critical of the organization at times? Yes, but to not see the clear direction that they are taking shows you are missing the forest for the trees.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:59 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Wow, guy is the king of the straw man, that's for damn sure.

It's a shame that some hack writers have to get by like this... don't know a thing about the game so they resort to this baseless rabble-rousing. This guy is the absolute bottom of the barrel for Chicago hockey media... and it really says something about fans who believe this crap.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:07 AM
EbonyRaptor

Let me put this JJ self serving rant ... I mean "article" into perspective. Let's review recent JJ blog entries:

6/25 - "Luongo, Suter, Kane, Parise" - JJ identifies potential targets.

6/29 - "Hot rumors for a hot Friday" - JJ hears things ... "more as he has it".

6/30 - "Expect the Unexpected" - breathless anticipation that something is going to happen.

7/2 - "Hawks may be in on Parise and Suter" - JJ and his sources think there's a chance for Bowman to actually score big.

7/3 - "Parise, Suter details emerge" - JJ impressed with Bowman's attempt

7/4 - "Plan B - Doan" - JJ and his sources hear more stuff.

7/7 - "He who will not be named" - JJ and his sources keep hearing stuff about Luongo.

7/10 - "More Habs/Hawks, Hawks big on Doan" - JJ hears stuff about possible Plekanec/Hjalmarsson deal and Hawks still "big" on Doan.

7/11 - "Significant offer to Doan" - JJ and his sources hear "significant" offer made to Doan.

7/13 - "Nicky we hardly knew ye" - JJ and his sources now thinking Hjalmarsson stay and Leddy goes".

7/16 - "The rumor that won't die" - JJ and his sources still hearing Luongo rumors".

7/20 - "The no fun convention begins - JJ writes a self serving rant about all the stuff that didn't happen.

So let's take a look at JJ's batting average:

6/25 - whiff - strike one
6/29 - whiff - strike two
6/30 - whiff - strile three
7/2 - whiff - strike four
7/3 - whiff - strike five
7/4 - whiff - strike six
7/7 - whiff - strike seven
7/10 - whiff - strike eight
7/11 - whiff - strike nine
7/13 - whiff - strike ten
7/16 - whiff - strike eleven
7/20 - whiff - JJ is OUT!

That's all this "article" is - JJ lashing out at his own lack of ability to get anything right. In psychological terms it's called projection - projecting your own failures onto others so you don't have to face the reality of your own shortcomings.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

That's all this "article" is - JJ lashing out at his own lack of ability to get anything right. In psychological terms it's called projection - projecting your own failures onto others so you don't have to face the reality of your own shortcomings.
What he is "projecting"? What many fail to comprehend is JJ writes for a hockey rumor site. Many of these rumors are pulled out of his ass and sure enough, he gets people taking about his tripe. He is very successful at what he does. All he did is give his opinion about the state of the franchise, and its a dead bang opinion. The fact that he has others talking about his opinion means he isnt "projecting" a thing in terms of what it is he is associated with, a friggin rumor site.

The fact that he nuked Saad, the little McDumb did so far during the offseason, and the sad truth that vets, not unproven kids win Cups says alot more about just how badly run this team is.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:43 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
JJ is a clown but he's right about Saad. I'd say we're more likely to end up with a Troy Brouwer 3rd wheel than a PPG winger.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:29 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Saad wrist shot at age 16>Brouwers now.
Saads skating-Brouwers now.
Saad's offensive upside>Brouwers

By all means at the very least Saad should equal as a 19-21 year old Brouwers bests season with tw hawks.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

In general, I hate Jaeckel and disagree with the garbage he posts.

But what, pray tell, is incorrect at all in this specific article? All of his points are perfect accurate.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Players not wanting to play here he is wrong about.

Just because we haven't signed them doesn't mean they don't want to play here.
We are still young, and loaded with talent, and there is no disarray.

But ya, hes right about Saad, and a few other things.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Let me put this JJ self serving rant ... I mean "article" into perspective. Let's review recent JJ blog entries:

6/25 - "Luongo, Suter, Kane, Parise" - JJ identifies potential targets.

6/29 - "Hot rumors for a hot Friday" - JJ hears things ... "more as he has it".

6/30 - "Expect the Unexpected" - breathless anticipation that something is going to happen.

7/2 - "Hawks may be in on Parise and Suter" - JJ and his sources think there's a chance for Bowman to actually score big.

7/3 - "Parise, Suter details emerge" - JJ impressed with Bowman's attempt

7/4 - "Plan B - Doan" - JJ and his sources hear more stuff.

7/7 - "He who will not be named" - JJ and his sources keep hearing stuff about Luongo.

7/10 - "More Habs/Hawks, Hawks big on Doan" - JJ hears stuff about possible Plekanec/Hjalmarsson deal and Hawks still "big" on Doan.

7/11 - "Significant offer to Doan" - JJ and his sources hear "significant" offer made to Doan.

7/13 - "Nicky we hardly knew ye" - JJ and his sources now thinking Hjalmarsson stay and Leddy goes".

7/16 - "The rumor that won't die" - JJ and his sources still hearing Luongo rumors".

7/20 - "The no fun convention begins - JJ writes a self serving rant about all the stuff that didn't happen.

So let's take a look at JJ's batting average:

6/25 - whiff - strike one
6/29 - whiff - strike two
6/30 - whiff - strile three
7/2 - whiff - strike four
7/3 - whiff - strike five
7/4 - whiff - strike six
7/7 - whiff - strike seven
7/10 - whiff - strike eight
7/11 - whiff - strike nine
7/13 - whiff - strike ten
7/16 - whiff - strike eleven
7/20 - whiff - JJ is OUT!

I pretty much agree with this....

I'm sure in his next blog he will say; "giant mutant birds were going to take over the Chicago Blackhawks organization, but at the zero hour we were miraculously saved by Kyle Beach."

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:42 PM
madgoat33

i almost put my palm through my head from facepalming so hard.

Guy epitomizes unproffessionalism.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

there's a difference between him reporting the Hawks would make a play for someone and saying they are actually going to get him. I'm no whoever that guy is supporter, I just thought I'd throw some logic into the discussion.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
What he is "projecting"? What many fail to comprehend is JJ writes for a hockey rumor site. Many of these rumors are pulled out of his ass and sure enough, he gets people taking about his tripe. He is very successful at what he does. All he did is give his opinion about the state of the franchise, and its a dead bang opinion. The fact that he has others talking about his opinion means he isnt "projecting" a thing in terms of what it is he is associated with, a friggin rumor site.

The fact that he nuked Saad, the little McDumb did so far during the offseason, and the sad truth that vets, not unproven kids win Cups says alot more about just how badly run this team is.
You misunderstand the use of the word projection. I used it as in the psychological context and stated that in my previous text. I didn't mean that he was projecting as in predicting. I meant that he was projecting his failure onto Stan. It's a psychological defense mechanism. When someone fails at what they're supposed to do - they blame someone else so their focus can be on the other person and they don't have to admit their own failure.

In other words - JJ made a bunch of predictions, which is what he does, and none of them came true. So, as a guy who spreads rumors for a living, you have to be right some of the time or you lose your credibility. Therefore when JJ is wrong all of the time, he looks to blame someone else for his failure to predict anything correctly - and that guy would be Stan. So, the implication is that Stan failed to close any of the deals that JJ (and his "sources") heard were there for the taking.

JJ is Eklund lite on the Hawks beat. First he gets the fan's appetites ripe for something big to happen and then when it doesn't he throw them red meat for them to devour. And a lot of the fans eat it up.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Let's ignore the historical bias then and just examine what he said piece by piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Today, after two consecutive first round playoff exits, they appear to be in disarray, with rumors circulating that, among other things, they are no longer an organization that other players want to play for.
This is pure speculation, but the fact is we aren't getting much in the way of free agents. Personally I think it's because the front office is deluding themselves over the level of the team but it could be as JJ says too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
But what is more disappointing and perhaps a larger concern is that the Hawks have failed (thus far) to address the obvious team needs this offseason: center depth (or a true second line center), goalie and more physicality.
I would say if you are arguing against this, you have either never seen the Hawks play in your life or you have no idea what are the most critical elements to actually being a contender. Almost every knowledgeable person on this board has identified all three as problems, certainly nothing inaccurate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
“Kompon is a terrible choice.”
Time will tell, won't it? But what we were told by Kings fans after the hiring certainly doesn't lead to optimism. The only silver lining is that the PP can't possibly get any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
“This kid ‘s ready," someone said recently.

Really? What have you seen of Saad, other than using his advanced physical maturity versus boys, that tells you he is ready to play a top 6 role on what is supposed to be a Stanley Cup contending team, against men, and against whom he has no physical advantages?

Answer: Nothing.
I am sure hoping he is wrong as I am a big believer in developing rookies right on the big team if they can handle it. But can you really say he is? The Hawks have been pushing Saad forward every chance they get. He was the one who was inserted into the playoff lineup to try to ignite the offense. He was front and center at the draft announcing our pick. He was the star of the prospect camp and even touted as a possible 2nd line center despite no experience at the position at all.

He IS being hyped up, there's no question. But it would be good to remember Saad has not actually proven anything and was not really effective during his stint.

Quote:
Sure, Shaw and Nick Leddy are two acorns Bowman has turned up in his tenure. But that and the promise of Saad and some other draft picks are not a lot to show for Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd, Kris Versteeg, Niemi, Troy Brouwer, Brian Campbell and Brent Sopel.
Well, our distinct lack of playoff success since removing all of those from the team says he's not wrong, doesn't it?

Quote:
But this isn’t an organization in growth mode anymore. It’s an organization that appears caught in the inertia of entropy: overloaded with front office functionaries, many of whom lack significant hockey bona fides. Too soft on the ice. Rumored at times to be divided in the dressing room. And clearly better, to this point, at moving NHL talent out than bringing it in.
Anything inaccurate in this?

He speculated at places, and did obviously like Tallon better, but you can't point to any of that and say "he's wrong".

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote