HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed with link :Andronov Leaves CSKA for St. Louis

Old
07-27-2012, 03:38 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Regarding Andronov, both JR and Korac tweeted last week that the Blues have not said anything about Andronov so that makes me wonder just what the story is.

I was going to ask JR about it in his chat last week but he didn't have one. Hopefully we get more details on Andronov this week.

And you did. Why would Andronov's KHL team say that then? This is weird.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:21 AM
SirPaste

Maybe its just Andronovs agent's negotiation tactics for a new contract? I have no idea, very weird indeed.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Maybe its just Andronovs agent's negotiation tactics for a new contract? I have no idea, very weird indeed.
That was my thought.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
And you did. Why would Andronov's KHL team say that then? This is weird.
Dave Eminian of the PJ Star had this to say yesterday:

Quote:
@icetimecleve: Blues draftee and CSKA prospect Sergei Andronov may get an AHL-only contract w Rivermen, sources say. Situation still undecided.

@icetimecleve: Blues prez John Davidson says GM Doug Armstrong will fly next week to meet w Russian prospect Sergei Andronov and explore possible contract.
It sounds to me that Andronov probably expressed interest but it caught the Blues by surprise. It very may well be simply a negotiating ploy by Andronov and Fedorov called his bluff. Hopefully it's not just a waste of Army's time to fly over there next week.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:28 AM
execwrite

Never mind - already posted.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
mk80

Hey everyone, my irst pot since joining the forums yesterday.

Its nice to see on of our Russian draft picks at least expressing interest in coming over. He may be put on the third line in Peoria until he gets used to the North American ice size and style of play.

Hopefully he doesn't come over an just skate around like Radlov did for the Predators during the playoffs. Not that I'm a Pedators fan, but you like people have effort reardless of who they play for.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
Hey everyone, my irst pot since joining the forums yesterday.

Its nice to see on of our Russian draft picks at least expressing interest in coming over. He may be put on the third line in Peoria until he gets used to the North American ice size and style of play.

Hopefully he doesn't come over and just skate around like Radlov did for the Predators during the playoffs. Not that I'm a Pedators fan, but you like people have effort reardless of who they play for.
Skating around? Are you aware that Radulov was the top scorer for Preds in playoffs, right?

Anyway Andronov, probably, is struggling to find a job in KHL, so he can just as well try his luck on the otherside of the pond. His frame/skills might be better utilized in NA hockey than Russian (or that's what he's hoping for anyway).

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Dave Eminian of the PJ Star had this to say yesterday:

It sounds to me that Andronov probably expressed interest but it caught the Blues by surprise. It very may well be simply a negotiating ploy by Andronov and Fedorov called his bluff. Hopefully it's not just a waste of Army's time to fly over there next week.
I think that may be right. I did see somewhere that the meeting with Andronov was to be "somewhere in NA" which would make sense if he is serious about coming over.

I see the Blues with 49 contracts right now, max is 50 correct? If so, would Army go to the max for Andronov? Maybe that's why only an AHL deal.

Would like to see him come over for camp to see what he's got, but not high hopes of him sticking around to play in Peoria for the full season.

Baby Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
I think that may be right. I did see somewhere that the meeting with Andronov was to be "somewhere in NA" which would make sense if he is serious about coming over.

I see the Blues with 49 contracts right now, max is 50 correct? If so, would Army go to the max for Andronov? Maybe that's why only an AHL deal.

Would like to see him come over for camp to see what he's got, but not high hopes of him sticking around to play in Peoria for the full season.
Of course, his having an NHL/AHL 2-way contract bringing the Blues' total to the maximum 50 is why he'd only be offered an AHL contract.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Of course, his having an NHL/AHL 2-way contract bringing the Blues' total to the maximum 50 is why he'd only be offered an AHL contract.
Do the contracts of guys eligible for "entry-level slide" -- right now, Rattie and Binnington, I believe -- count towards the 50-contract maximum?

I'm guessing "yes," but if that's the case, then what sense does it make for the Blues, or any other NHL team, to sign a player to an ELC early, and use up one of just 50 available contracts on a player who is still at least a year away from turning pro?

I guess there's always the chance that Rattie or Binnington could be absolutely lights-out in camp, and force their way onto the team... but that hardly seems likely given the Blues' depth in goal and at right wing.

Color me confused...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Would like to see him (Andronov) come over for camp to see what he's got, but not high hopes of him sticking around to play in Peoria for the full season.
Why, exactly?

Because Alexei Shkotov and Konstantin Zakharov bailed for Russia after half a season -- six or seven years ago?

The last Russian to come over and go to Peoria -- Nikolai Lemtyugov -- played two full seasons there before deciding that the Blues didn't seem to have any long-term plans for him.

Nikita Nikitin got sent down during his first year in North America, and he didn't give up and skedaddle back to Mother Russia, either.

Maybe, just maybe, the Blues have turned the corner as a franchise, and thus have become a more attractive destination for Europeans.

Teams like Detroit and Dallas seem to have little trouble getting their Euro draftees to stay here after they come over, and it's likely because Detroit and Dallas are considered perennial contenders (although the Stars have been less than, well, stellar recently) and players know they have to pay their dues to get in on that kind of a situation.

Maybe the Blues are finally moving into that territory as well...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Why, exactly?

Because Alexei Shkotov and Konstantin Zakharov bailed for Russia after half a season -- six or seven years ago?

The last Russian to come over and go to Peoria -- Nikolai Lemtyugov -- played two full seasons there before deciding that the Blues didn't seem to have any long-term plans for him.

Nikita Nikitin got sent down during his first year in North America, and he didn't give up and skedaddle back to Mother Russia, either.

Maybe, just maybe, the Blues have turned the corner as a franchise, and thus have become a more attractive destination for Europeans.

Teams like Detroit and Dallas seem to have little trouble getting their Euro draftees to stay here after they come over, and it's likely because Detroit and Dallas are considered perennial contenders (although the Stars have been less than, well, stellar recently) and players know they have to pay their dues to get in on that kind of a situation.

Maybe the Blues are finally moving into that territory as well...
My comment isn't directed at the Blues and Euro prospects. It was based on 1) Andronov is not under contract and Blues have only 1 open at this point 2) comments made that he may be offered only an AHL deal which means $125K or so and no call-ups 3) no talks with the Blues before announcement he's coming to NA, ie is he really commited to making NHL?

So a lot depends on the contract he gets and where he'd be on the depth chart. Best case would likely be a Nikitin-like situation with a 2-way contract and first on the call-up list. I could see him staying then.

In the KHL, he could make more money, pay lower taxes, play in home country and in familiar league. Peoria could only offer more ice time and thousands of available super models (neither guaranteed, void in Illinois)

Regarding Lemty, I like him but he actually only played 27 games in that second season before leaving. Again, don't blame him as it looked like the Blues were not going to give him a call-up and other prospects were passing him up.

Baby Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
oPlaiD

Just an update on this...

Apparently Andronov was skating at the mills yesterday, so the rumor about him coming over was definitely true.

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
Sergei Andronov on the ice at the Mills today for #stlblues informal skate.

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10
Taking part in today's skate: Sergei Andronov, the Blues' 3rd rd pick in 2009. #stlblues

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:04 PM
STL fan in IA

Andronov's been signed to an AHL-only deal.
Quote:
@icetimecleve: Rivermen have signed Russian winger Sergei Andronov (Blues 3rd rnd in 2009) to a 1yr AHL only contract. More at http://t.co/oPhOlGiA #peoria

Old
08-28-2012, 05:48 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Does that mean he absolutely cannot play for the Blues this season? I have no hopes of him earning a spot, but what if somehow he is lighting up the AHL, or is thriving in a checking role and the Blues need one. Does that mean no matter the circumstances he cannot play in the NHL this year?

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Does that mean he absolutely cannot play for the Blues this season? I have no hopes of him earning a spot, but what if somehow he is lighting up the AHL, or is thriving in a checking role and the Blues need one. Does that mean no matter the circumstances he cannot play in the NHL this year?
In that scenario, they would have to sign him to a NHL deal as you can't play in the NHL without a NHL contract - simply modify his contract from AHL only to a two-way (NHL/AHL) deal.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
No, it just means they would have to sign him to an NHL contract first.

His situation is like Andrew Shaw of the Hawks last year. He started the season with an AHL-only contract, played well, the Hawks decided they wanted to try him on their NHL roster, so he signed an NHL contract and was called up.

The only real implication at the moment is that his contract won't count against the Blues' 50 NHL contract limit.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Robb_K

Signing Andranov to a one-way AHL contract just gives The Blues more flexibility now. If they see he is playing very well and they need him in mid-season, that gives them time to dump another contract they need less, WHEN they're ready to sign him to an NHL contract (AND IF they are at the 50-contract limit).

Perhaps someone else being on the Disabled list at that time might allow them to add an NHL contract? (I'm not sure about that). In any case, IF they've traded of quantity for quality before that, they've reduced their contract total, providing room for his.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote