HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI/Phoenix

Old
07-21-2012, 06:31 PM
LotteryForLife*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Gormley is not being moved unless it's for Strome
Just say no. Don't make thoughtless counter proposals we all know would never happen. The Islanders are not giving up Ryan Strome to get Gormley. So enough. Why not throw JT or Hamonic in there so we have more nonsense to talk about?

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:33 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I would not want to move Strome for Gormley.
No one on the Island would. Not sure where this foolish counter offer came from

Old
07-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Just say no. Don't make thoughtless counter proposals we all know would never happen. The Islanders are not giving up Ryan Strome to get Gormley. So enough. Why not throw JT or Hamonic in there so we have more nonsense to talk about?
It's really not that outlandish of a counter proposal. Certainly not far enough out of line to call him out like this. Gormley is a very good prospect.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:36 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wouldnt trade him for Strome either.
Strome is a far better prospect than Gormley. I can assure you that you will never have to worry about making that decision because its not even reallistic

Old
07-21-2012, 06:37 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
It's really not that outlandish of a counter proposal. Certainly not far enough out of line to call him out like this. Gormley is a very good prospect.
Yes it is. Gormley has minimal upside and is not as strong a prospect as Strome.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Yes it is. Gormley has minimal upside and is not as strong a prospect as Strome.
Maybe you should learn about other team's prospects a little before making judgements on them. Because clearly you don't know much about Gormley.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
DesertDawg

Our prospect is better than yours!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Did you watch the Memorial Cup and WJC? Apparently not.

EDIT: Forget that I responded to you. I get the sense from your reply just below this that you are one of those gimmick accounts. Carry on.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:51 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
You're right. Everything you have is the greatest

We're still not making the trade

Old
07-21-2012, 06:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Strome is a far better prospect than Gormley. I can assure you that you will never have to worry about making that decision because its not even reallistic
I disagree. I predict time will prove Gormley to be the more effective, more valuable NHL player.

07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post

EDIT: Forget that I responded to you. I get the sense from your reply just below this that you are one of those gimmick accounts. Carry on.
Wish I had read the edit before I replied. Yeah, FehrTime style fake account.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:36 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
In the '10 draft, the Coyotes had Gormley rated #4, and were actually thinking about trading up to draft him when he started to slip. This would mean that the Coyotes had him rated higher than Strome... And there is no reason to believe the Coyotes have soured on Brandon.
these players were not in the same draft, dawg.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:13 AM
AZcoyotes33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I would do it, but I can't blame Phoenix for passing on the deal.

Considering the talent in Phoenix's pipeline, any chance Klesla is available?
Not a chance. PHX is not very deep when it comes to "stay-at-home" Dmen, and Klesla is by far the club's best. Eats minutes and plays a hell of a penalty kill. Very very solid defenseman.

AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:33 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The Coyotes have a stockpile of quality, young blueliners.The NYI have a stockpile of quality, young centers.

Is Brock Nelson + 3rd rounder for B. Gormley a fair proposal ? Would either side have to add more ?

Why the Isles do this trade: both Strome and Nelson project to be top 6 centers. Some Isle fans want Strome on Tavares wing, but it sounds like his skillset would better utilized at center. Gormley would join Donovan, De Haan and Ness in a fight for the 1-2 open spots on next season's roster.

Why the Coyotes do this trade: 6'3 Nelson brings a good combination of size and skill.He was signed this summer, after a breakout season in college. He looks close to being nhl ready, although he may need some time in the AHL.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1352
The Good: According to many scouts, Nelson was one of the best players in college hockey this year after taking big steps forward in his development. He really grew into his frame and projects as a legit high-end physical player due to his size, strength level, and willingness to use his body. He's a smart defensive player who showed very advanced awareness in his own end. Nelson's best offensive trait is his hockey sense, as he has good vision and overall offensive instincts to combine with solid puck skills. He looks like a do-it-all forward who can play center or wing, log tough minutes, and still score at the top level.

The Bad: His skating has improved, at times flashing pro-average but more improvement in that area could help. Nelson has no glaring hole, but he also lacks any true wow-caliber tool.

Projection: He could be a good second-line center who can also check top players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://prospects.dobbersports.com/in...tes&Itemid=182
May, 2012 - Gormley was simply fantastic for the Shawinigan Cataractes during the 2012 Mastercard Memorial Cup. He was very efficient as a heads up player makign crisp outlet passes as well as getting hard accurate shots to the net. Gormley finished third in tournament scoring and first in defensive scoring with three goals and nine points in six games. He was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star team and it looks as though the Coyotes' have another defensive gem on their hands here. Brendan Ross

March, 2012 Brandon Gormley is one the best defenseman in the QMJHL. He has elite skills and controls the game with his calming presence. He represented Canada at the World Junior Championship and led the tournament in points by a defenseman and was named top defenseman of the tournament. The 20-year-old was recently traded from Moncton to the Memorial Cup hosting Shawinigan Cataractes. Although he has been out since early February with a foot injury, hes expected to return and play a pivotal role in the playoffs. The depth of the Phoenix Coyotes might be the only thing that slows this guy down. Top two potential but probably a couple years away from having an impact.

Not a bad proposal, IMO, but I think the Isles would be better served using their assets on an established defenseman instead of a prospect, even one as good as Gormley. Considering our top 2 veterans, Streit and Visnovsky, are UFA's at the end of the year, it might be a good idea to pick up another veteran with a few more years just incase we lose one or both of these guys after the season.

As someone mentioned before, Yandle would be a good option. I know the salary is a concern but we could always try to balance it out by sending some the other way (Grabner?).

I think we could just roll with what we have now and if we are still in the hunt come the trade deadline we could probably make a move for a top-4 guy if we need to.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:11 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Ok so you are saying because they passed on Gormley at 5 that they wouldn't prefer him to a player they took at 30? Do you really think they wouldn't have tried to trade up and get Gormley if he was there at 30 as well? Do you really think if Gormley was at 30 they would have taken Nelson over him?
This is a hypothetical that makes little sense because Gormley was not there at 30 when the trade happened. Had he been there, maybe the Islanders would have taken him, maybe not. But he was not there and the Islanders clearly wanted Nelson. The previous year they traded up not once, but twice to take de Haan. Does that mean that had Hedman slipped to 12, the Isles wouldn't have taken him? Who knows.

The reality is that Gormley could have been drafted by the Islanders and there was obviously something they did not like — or felt was missing. That is not to say that they — or that I — don't think he is a talented player. But this kind of deal at this time does not make any sense from the perspective of the Islanders.

And it's not just because of the idea of trading Nelson.

The Islanders are now very deep in prospects up and down the line-up. At almost every position there is a very high potential player.

Center: Strome, Nelson, Lee
Wings: Kabanov, Nino (yes he is still a prospect with big upside)
Defense: de Haan, Donovan, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Kitchon
Goalie: Poulin, Nilsson

If there is a weakness you could argue the wing — but many of the Islanders center prospects — like Cizikas, Ullstrom, and possibly Strome, Nelson or even Lee.

The Islanders just drafted 7 more defenders at this years draft.

So adding Gormley — its not "bad" but really all it does is re-shuffle the deck. And that is not the best motive to make a trade. If someone proposed the Isles dealing some of these prospects away for a game-changing winger who could play top 6 and signed long term — then sure, that makes good sense for the Isles. But this deal (while it has fair value IMO) makes little progress for the Isles.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:24 AM
19NYSports91

I wouldn't trade Brock Nelson for a defensive prospect when we already have Donovan/DeHaan/Reinhart/Mayfield. I would only trade Nelson in a package deal to get a very good young established player. Brock Nelson is going to be a very good player, I still think he'll move to Left Wing.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:29 AM
kasper11

I think the Isles would have to add a bit. I like Nelson, but Gormley has a much better pedigree at this point, he has been producing at a high level for a longer period. I would imagine his value would probably be Nelson + a 2nd (which the Isles don't have) and maybe something else as well.

That said, I don't think he is a realistic target for the Isles. If they are going to move assets, it should be for an established dman. Within the next 2-3 years, they will probably be adding Reinhart, De Haan and Donavan. They need someone who can play well at the NHL level now. Gormley is NHL ready, but still needs to learn the NHL game.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I wouldn't trade Brock Nelson for a defensive prospect when we already have Donovan/DeHaan/Reinhart/Mayfield. I would only trade Nelson in a package deal to get a very good young established player. Brock Nelson is going to be a very good player, I still think he'll move to Left Wing.
This

Only way we should be trading for a defefensman is if hes young and proven....I would love Gormley but like Nelson and Srrome he is still just a prospect...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This

Only way we should be trading for a defefensman is if hes young and proven....I would love Gormley but like Nelson and Srrome he is still just a prospect...
Well, proven or not is a relative thing. Gormley is probably the best D not playing in the NHL right now, and has a good chance to show that he is a legit top 4 this coming year, and would be top pairing material in the not too distant future. Part of the reason why he might be available right now is that he still has some uncertainty attached to him. If and when he reaches that potential, then there is really no way a team like the Isles would be able to land him without giving up something close to Tavares. So it's a give and take, more or less.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
Well, proven or not is a relative thing. Gormley is probably the best D not playing in the NHL right now, and has a good chance to show that he is a legit top 4 this coming year, and would be top pairing material in the not too distant future. Part of the reason why he might be available right now is that he still has some uncertainty attached to him. If and when he reaches that potential, then there is really no way a team like the Isles would be able to land him without giving up something close to Tavares. So it's a give and take, more or less.
I would agree with this, he has the potential to reach Pietrangelo level.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
I agree about his potential and im not knocking him but The ISLANDERS are at the point where they av good solid "D" prospects w need roven talent to help us...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:28 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I agree about his potential and im not knocking him but The ISLANDERS are at the point where they av good solid "D" prospects w need roven talent to help us...
He could probably play comfortably in a top-4 role on an average (playoff bubble) team this coming season. And if his development does not hit any snags, he will likely be ready for top 2 duty in 2-3 years. I think the Islander are a good young team, and they will likely be competing with Edmon for the most improved team in the next couple of years; but they are probably not ready for prime time as a legit contender yet. So by the time that Gormley reaches to a level close to his potential, the Isles themselves are ready to contend.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I would agree with this, he has the potential to reach Pietrangelo level.
Yes absolutely.

Although I think of him as more of a future Scott Stevens. He definitely has more a physical edge to his play than Pietrangelo, and can be dominant for stretches in his own zone. He is also very good at reading passing lanes and threading outlets, and plays like a legit PMD in the NHL already. He also is able to play point in a PP; although I'm not sure if he has the high end offensive potential that players like Yandle/Pietrangelo/Karlsson have, but he will probably be good for 35 - 50 points with some time on the PP, which makes him a legit #2 even on a contender. Anyways, future looks very bright for Gormley, he is likely to end up one of the top 20/25 Ds in the NHL soon.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
In the '10 draft, the Coyotes had Gormley rated #4, and were actually thinking about trading up to draft him when he started to slip. This would mean that the Coyotes had him rated higher than Strome... And there is no reason to believe the Coyotes have soured on Brandon.
how do you know strome wasn't rated 3rd on their list?

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
how do you know strome wasn't rated 3rd on their list?
Because Strome wasn't drafted in '10 so his argument doesn't mean dick.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote