HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
  #451
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
sigh... they'd own his rights 'till July
lolz

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
  #452
ChesterCopperpot1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Are we there yet?

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 PM
  #453
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
sigh... they'd own his rights 'till July
That isn't four months + exclusive negotiating rights. That is four months of exclusive negotiating rights. Plus is in addition to, not inclusive of.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
  #454
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Are we there yet?
wondering what the final number of "Threads that diverged into Weber/Offer-Sheet discussion" will be.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 09:39 PM
  #455
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
How is Feb 26 - late April/early May 4 months of Suter? You've also repeatedly written this team off in November just to have them put up 100+ points .... so much for your predictive accuracy.
I'm 100% sure I wasnt talking to you, but I know how you like to pile on whenever someone disagrees
with me, so what the hell.

I said ASG, which was January 29th. So if we traded right after the ASG, that would have meant all of February, March, April, and part of May. So 3+ months.


Last edited by Fel 96: 07-23-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: No need
gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
  #456
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Even having Suter from the trade deadline to July 1 is well over 4 months

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
  #457
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
But if the reports that DP has been shopping Weber over the past couple of weeks is true....does that imply anything?
It implies that Weber was unwilling to sign at whatever structure the owners authorized Poile to tender ... or Poile wasn't maxing out whatever the owners did authorize (unlikely he wouldn't have gotten slammed if he did that).

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:13 PM
  #458
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I'm 100% sure I wasnt talking to you, but I know how you like to pile on whenever someone disagrees
with me, so what the hell.

I said ASG, which was January 29th. So if we traded right after the ASG, that would have meant all of February, March, April, and part of May. So 3+ months.
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer. If they did, Jersey would have moved Brodeur and Parise for starters ... we'd have kicked SK, Weber, Suter to the curb ... LA would have moved significant portions of their roster ... Whitney and Doan would have been out in Phoenix .... and on and on.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
  #459
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
word is we haven't spoken to weber since the offer sheet...

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
  #460
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I think this whole argument of "Weber is okay playing for Nashville or he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet" is total BS...

He wanted the money, he wanted the payday..... he doesn't expect nashville to match.

The offer sheet is his ticket to riches..... nothing else.... it doesn't imply anything about Nashville.
It can imply a few things: 1. That Nashville didn't give Weber an offer good enough for him to sign; OR 2. That they did give Weber a similar offer and he chose not to sign.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
  #461
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer. If they did, Jersey would have moved Brodeur and Parise for starters ... we'd have kicked SK, Weber, Suter to the curb ... LA would have moved significant portions of their roster ... Whitney and Doan would have been out in Phoenix .... and on and on.
Agree 100%. At some point, you gotta stop playing for next year. The Preds were a SC contender, you don't trade Suter at that point.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
  #462
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
word is we haven't spoken to weber since the offer sheet...


Guys, Weber doesn't want to be here.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
  #463
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer.
Thats your reality. Read isn't a draft pick. He would have helped us for the "cup run". Might have opened up a hole on the back end but would have been an upgrade on the front.

And he'd be around for a while.

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
  #464
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I'm 100% sure I wasnt talking to you, but I know how you like to pile on whenever someone disagrees
with me, so what the hell.
Arniel? Is that you?

I confess I do not see how a Suter trade would have actually helped the Preds in the playoffs. I also doubt the Flyers would give up that much for Suter considering that they had a significantly reduced chance to sign him - and probably would not have been able to considering his reasons for signing in Minnesota.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
  #465
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
I hope Mike Fisher and HIS WIFE were invited to the Monday night management meeting. No doubt she could float a loan with 1 swipe of a pen.

cleangene is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
  #466
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,803
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
word is we haven't spoken to weber since the offer sheet...
what is there to say? no other negotiation with Weber is possible....

weber said everything that needs saying when he signed.. he said "this is what it takes to sign me. if you pay it, Im a Pred for life. If not, Im going to Philadelphia"

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
  #467
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
It's a little curious that Scott Howson didn't wait a few more days for the Weber deadline before trading Nash. Let's say that the Preds don't match and the Flyers get Weber. The Rangers, division rivals of the Flyers, might've upped their offer for Nash. Surely, after waiting this long, Howson could've waited a few more days for a potentially better offer... unless he got a strong impression (perhaps directly from Poile, himself) that the Preds were going to match. If so, then there was no reason to wait for the Weber resolution, since the Rangers wouldn't be upping their offer and might've even weakened it if Philly had struck out, so Howson took it. Who knows, but when I look at the situation, I wonder what Howson knew to convince him to accept the Rangers' current offer, rather than wait a few days.


Last edited by Osprey: 07-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Osprey is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
  #468
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's a little curious that Scott Howson didn't wait a few more days for the Weber deadline before trading Nash. Let's say that the Preds don't match and the Flyers get Weber. The Rangers, division rivals of the Flyers, might've upped their offer for Nash. Surely, after waiting this long, Howson could've waited a few more days for a potentially better offer... unless he got a strong impression (perhaps directly from Poile, himself) that the Preds were going to match. If so, then there was no reason to wait for the Weber resolution, since the Rangers wouldn't be upping their offer and might've even weakened it if Philly had struck out, so Howson took it. Who knows, and it is Howson, but, if the Preds were not going to match, it would've been smarter to wait a few days.
interesting ....

Predsboro is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
  #469
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Arniel? Is that you?

I confess I do not see how a Suter trade would have actually helped the Preds in the playoffs. I also doubt the Flyers would give up that much for Suter considering that they had a significantly reduced chance to sign him - and probably would not have been able to considering his reasons for signing in Minnesota.
I'll agree that's it debatable whether or not we would have been better or worse, but what's not debatable is that we really weren't that close.

And I'm quite certain Philly would have given up a Read type (where they have a surplus) for the best defenseman, rental or not, available at the time. Plus they would have had negotiating rights, which in hand sight may not have meant much, but would have been valuable at the time.

And our summer would have at least one bright spot to move forward with.

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
  #470
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
interesting ....
The flip side is if Poile knows why Howson is asking about what he intends to do with Weber he might have had a reason to lie and say, "yeah we're leaning towards matching right now" just to reduce the return for Nash. Poile has to compete with the BJs next year, and the lesser return the better, with or without Weber (but especially without).

Not to be a downer, but we shouldn't be getting our hopes too far up or down right now.

TMI is online now  
Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
  #471
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Thats your reality. Read isn't a draft pick. He would have helped us for the "cup run". Might have opened up a hole on the back end but would have been an upgrade on the front.

And he'd be around for a while.
But what this isn't taking into account is no one knew that the offense was going to suddenly dry up in the second round. The PP was still rocking at the deadline. The offense was still top ten. Poile added AK to the top six, and Gaustad to the bottom six. We were sitting young players with NHL experience as it was, not to mention Poile had to have had a good idea about Radulov's eventual return right around then.

With all of that going on and no inclination that 1) Suter was going to walk, or 2) that the offense would suddenly leave when PHX rolled into town it really makes a Suter trade a very questionable move.

TMI is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
  #472
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
word is we haven't spoken to weber since the offer sheet...
this is inaccurate. They spoke Friday.

token grinder is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 12:21 AM
  #473
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
this is inaccurate. They spoke Friday.
hopefully weber said he would be okay playing his career here....

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 12:23 AM
  #474
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,803
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
hopefully weber said he would be okay playing his career here....
no offense but he said exactly that when he signed the offer sheet.. he said explicitly that if Nashville would meet those terms he would in fact play here for the next 14 years...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
  #475
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no offense but he said exactly that when he signed the offer sheet.. he said explicitly that if Nashville would meet those terms he would in fact play here for the next 14 years...
i thought that, too. but when you look at the structure.. 2 things strike me... he wanted to get paid with CBA negotiations looming.. and the way the contract is set up seems awfully hard on our finances. something he had to be aware of.

i think he just wanted to cash in.. and he did ..

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.