HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
sigh... they'd own his rights 'till July
lolz

Old
07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Are we there yet?

Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
sigh... they'd own his rights 'till July
That isn't four months + exclusive negotiating rights. That is four months of exclusive negotiating rights. Plus is in addition to, not inclusive of.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Are we there yet?
wondering what the final number of "Threads that diverged into Weber/Offer-Sheet discussion" will be.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:39 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
How is Feb 26 - late April/early May 4 months of Suter? You've also repeatedly written this team off in November just to have them put up 100+ points .... so much for your predictive accuracy.
I'm 100% sure I wasnt talking to you, but I know how you like to pile on whenever someone disagrees
with me, so what the hell.

I said ASG, which was January 29th. So if we traded right after the ASG, that would have meant all of February, March, April, and part of May. So 3+ months.

Last edited by Fel 96: 07-23-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: No need
Old
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
PFL615

Even having Suter from the trade deadline to July 1 is well over 4 months

Old
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
But if the reports that DP has been shopping Weber over the past couple of weeks is true....does that imply anything?
It implies that Weber was unwilling to sign at whatever structure the owners authorized Poile to tender ... or Poile wasn't maxing out whatever the owners did authorize (unlikely he wouldn't have gotten slammed if he did that).

Old
07-23-2012, 10:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I'm 100% sure I wasnt talking to you, but I know how you like to pile on whenever someone disagrees

I said ASG, which was January 29th. So if we traded right after the ASG, that would have meant all of February, March, April, and part of May. So 3+ months.
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer. If they did, Jersey would have moved Brodeur and Parise for starters ... we'd have kicked SK, Weber, Suter to the curb ... LA would have moved significant portions of their roster ... Whitney and Doan would have been out in Phoenix .... and on and on.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
NoNecksCurse

word is we haven't spoken to weber since the offer sheet...

Old
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I think this whole argument of "Weber is okay playing for Nashville or he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet" is total BS...

He wanted the money, he wanted the payday..... he doesn't expect nashville to match.

The offer sheet is his ticket to riches..... nothing else.... it doesn't imply anything about Nashville.
It can imply a few things: 1. That Nashville didn't give Weber an offer good enough for him to sign; OR 2. That they did give Weber a similar offer and he chose not to sign.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer. If they did, Jersey would have moved Brodeur and Parise for starters ... we'd have kicked SK, Weber, Suter to the curb ... LA would have moved significant portions of their roster ... Whitney and Doan would have been out in Phoenix .... and on and on.
Agree 100%. At some point, you gotta stop playing for next year. The Preds were a SC contender, you don't trade Suter at that point.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

Guys, Weber doesn't want to be here.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
All comments are public domain and open for anyone to respond to. If I were piling on, as you claim, I'd say they were right and not counter your point directly with a quote of you. The reality is that this team had a better chance of advancing with Suter than without. Draft picks wouldn't help during the stretch in the trade year ... probably not for years to come. Teams in the hunt don't jettison key players even if it means losing them to free agency that summer.
Thats your reality. Read isn't a draft pick. He would have helped us for the "cup run". Might have opened up a hole on the back end but would have been an upgrade on the front.

And he'd be around for a while.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Arniel? Is that you?

I confess I do not see how a Suter trade would have actually helped the Preds in the playoffs. I also doubt the Flyers would give up that much for Suter considering that they had a significantly reduced chance to sign him - and probably would not have been able to considering his reasons for signing in Minnesota.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
cleangene

I hope Mike Fisher and HIS WIFE were invited to the Monday night management meeting. No doubt she could float a loan with 1 swipe of a pen.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
what is there to say? no other negotiation with Weber is possible....

weber said everything that needs saying when he signed.. he said "this is what it takes to sign me. if you pay it, Im a Pred for life. If not, Im going to Philadelphia"

Old
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Osprey

It's a little curious that Scott Howson didn't wait a few more days for the Weber deadline before trading Nash. Let's say that the Preds don't match and the Flyers get Weber. The Rangers, division rivals of the Flyers, might've upped their offer for Nash. Surely, after waiting this long, Howson could've waited a few more days for a potentially better offer... unless he got a strong impression (perhaps directly from Poile, himself) that the Preds were going to match. If so, then there was no reason to wait for the Weber resolution, since the Rangers wouldn't be upping their offer and might've even weakened it if Philly had struck out, so Howson took it. Who knows, but when I look at the situation, I wonder what Howson knew to convince him to accept the Rangers' current offer, rather than wait a few days.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's a little curious that Scott Howson didn't wait a few more days for the Weber deadline before trading Nash. Let's say that the Preds don't match and the Flyers get Weber. The Rangers, division rivals of the Flyers, might've upped their offer for Nash. Surely, after waiting this long, Howson could've waited a few more days for a potentially better offer... unless he got a strong impression (perhaps directly from Poile, himself) that the Preds were going to match. If so, then there was no reason to wait for the Weber resolution, since the Rangers wouldn't be upping their offer and might've even weakened it if Philly had struck out, so Howson took it. Who knows, and it is Howson, but, if the Preds were not going to match, it would've been smarter to wait a few days.
interesting ....

Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Arniel? Is that you?

I confess I do not see how a Suter trade would have actually helped the Preds in the playoffs. I also doubt the Flyers would give up that much for Suter considering that they had a significantly reduced chance to sign him - and probably would not have been able to considering his reasons for signing in Minnesota.
I'll agree that's it debatable whether or not we would have been better or worse, but what's not debatable is that we really weren't that close.

And I'm quite certain Philly would have given up a Read type (where they have a surplus) for the best defenseman, rental or not, available at the time. Plus they would have had negotiating rights, which in hand sight may not have meant much, but would have been valuable at the time.

And our summer would have at least one bright spot to move forward with.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
interesting ....
The flip side is if Poile knows why Howson is asking about what he intends to do with Weber he might have had a reason to lie and say, "yeah we're leaning towards matching right now" just to reduce the return for Nash. Poile has to compete with the BJs next year, and the lesser return the better, with or without Weber (but especially without).

Not to be a downer, but we shouldn't be getting our hopes too far up or down right now.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Thats your reality. Read isn't a draft pick. He would have helped us for the "cup run". Might have opened up a hole on the back end but would have been an upgrade on the front.

And he'd be around for a while.
But what this isn't taking into account is no one knew that the offense was going to suddenly dry up in the second round. The PP was still rocking at the deadline. The offense was still top ten. Poile added AK to the top six, and Gaustad to the bottom six. We were sitting young players with NHL experience as it was, not to mention Poile had to have had a good idea about Radulov's eventual return right around then.

With all of that going on and no inclination that 1) Suter was going to walk, or 2) that the offense would suddenly leave when PHX rolled into town it really makes a Suter trade a very questionable move.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
this is inaccurate. They spoke Friday.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:21 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
this is inaccurate. They spoke Friday.
hopefully weber said he would be okay playing his career here....

Old
07-24-2012, 12:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
hopefully weber said he would be okay playing his career here....
no offense but he said exactly that when he signed the offer sheet.. he said explicitly that if Nashville would meet those terms he would in fact play here for the next 14 years...

Old
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no offense but he said exactly that when he signed the offer sheet.. he said explicitly that if Nashville would meet those terms he would in fact play here for the next 14 years...
i thought that, too. but when you look at the structure.. 2 things strike me... he wanted to get paid with CBA negotiations looming.. and the way the contract is set up seems awfully hard on our finances. something he had to be aware of.

i think he just wanted to cash in.. and he did ..

Closed Thread