HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Much Will Kessel Make?

Old
07-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
What spin , you're making up crap . Neither Kecji or Lucic was paid over 5 mil like you were saying and PK was being offered similar money .

As for where he wanted to play , Burke offered a mil a season more than any other team and that was PK's only motivation to play here .
Here is Chiarelli own words on the trade

Quote:
Chiarelli: Kessel had zero interest in Bruins

"Let me be perfectly clear," Chiarelli said. "This trade is really about two things. One, it's about a player who did not want to play in Boston. Two, it's about the threat or the perceived threat of an offer sheet."

"We want players that want to be here," Chiarelli said. "I know that this player is a good player. Obviously he is. He can skate. He can shoot the puck. But we want players that want to be here. We want to grow the team with these types of players. I know the history here, but this isn't about frugality. There were some significant [contract] offers made. There was little or no attempt to negotiate from the other side, which I think is for a reason, which is the reason I explained earlier."

The Bruins had discussions with Nashville, with prospects Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis being their two top targets. But in Chiarelli's estimation, the Predators would not have been able to match the five-year, $27 million contract Kessel received from the Leafs. Chiarelli said Kessel would not accept a sign-and-trade, which limited trade partners because most teams besides Toronto didn't have the funds Kessel was hoping for.

"There wasn't a team, but for one, that was willing to make a firm offer and willing to pay the player the amount of money he was requesting," Chiarelli said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lli_kesse.html

Last edited by Mess: 07-22-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:35 PM
ALine

Quote:
You're mixing up your dates .
Its true Kessel went to the team that offered the most, but to say with certainty that that was the deciding factor is just plain wrong because you have no idea. Your confusing your opinion with actual facts.

An alternate view is that kessel asked for that type of money because he knew only the leafs would give him that, fulfilling his wish to come to the leafs

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:46 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Krecji is a center and they have more value/importance to teams than wingers, and Lucic is a power forward and again higher value.

Boston kept Krecji and Lucic and traded Kessel and won the Stanley Cup the very next season. Hard to criticize the GM with that much success when picking to keep only 2 of the 3.
Really?.. so Phil scoring 36 goals at age 20 is less valuable that Krejci at age 22 scoring 22 goal 2 years older, and Lucic scoring a whopping 17 goals is more valueable??

BTW, Phil outscored both in the playoffs the previous year. Soi you don't knopw that Kessel would have been an important part of the B's winning the Cup.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:53 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Here is Chiarelli own words on the trade
And from what I remember, PC was full of it!!! He lowballed PK and that was the end of it! He was trying to make PK look like the bad guy, Had he given PK a fair offer he would still be with the Bruins. Tell me what elite goal scorer any team is going to get for 3 mill??

Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Brandon Prust? ahhhh oui, only in habbieland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
And from what I remember, PC was full of it!!! He lowballed PK and that was the end of it! He was trying to make PK look like the bad guy, Had he given PK a fair offer he would still be with the Bruins. Tell me what elite goal scorer any team is going to get for 3 mill??

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
You're still making up crap to justify your position . PK was 21 when he scored 36 goals and he was offered high 3's which was similar money what Lucic and Krecji signed for . Also , the other 2 players do more than just hover above the blueline and wait for someone to get them the puck . One last point , PK had one 30 goal season and was looking to cash in .

PC like Burke or any GM will say anything to justify there moves so that's nothing new .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Brandon Prust? ahhhh oui, only in habbieland!
I rest my case!!!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
SuperJayMann

Give Kessel whatever he wants. No amount of money is worth dealing with us fans and media.

SuperJayMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
You're still making up crap to justify your position . PK was 21 when he scored 36 goals and he was offered high 3's which was similar money what Lucic and Krecji signed for . Also , the other 2 players do more than just hover above the blueline and wait for someone to get them the puck . One last point , PK had one 30 goal season and was looking to cash in .

PC like Burke or any GM will say anything to justify there moves so that's nothing new .
No...Not similar money!! and if I were PK I'd want to get the hell out of there!!!

It was an insult to PK!!!! Leading goal scorer on the B's and the other 2 were given contracts before PK....Thats what I CALL AN INSULT!!!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:31 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
you're still making up crap to justify your position . Pk was 21 when he scored 36 goals and he was offered high 3's which was similar money what lucic and krecji signed for . Also , the other 2 players do more than just hover above the blueline and wait for someone to get them the puck . One last point , pk had one 30 goal season and was looking to cash in .

Pc like burke or any gm will say anything to justify there moves so that's nothing new .
one thing i do know that you don't!!! Neither of the other players can score 30 plus goals on a regular basis!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Torgo

Provided he continues producing at this rate, and given the dollars being given out to UFA's of late, I would be happy with 6.5-7. If he ended up at 7.5, I would be ok with it at the end of the day if he were still a point-per-gamer or cabaple of consistent.y scoring 35-40 goals.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:53 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
What do we have to offer Kessel on his next contract to avoid something similar happening with the Leafs in your opinion?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Honestly, i dont see Kessel as the type of guy to let the media or certain leaf "fans" get to him.... the guy had and beat cancer, he is one cool customer. With that said, he will get between 7-8 mil cap hit on a long term deal of 7-8 years. (depending on the new cba of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
Give Kessel whatever he wants. No amount of money is worth dealing with us fans and media.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
What do we have to offer Kessel on his next contract to avoid something similar happening with the Leafs in your opinion?
I imagine we'd offer him what he's worth, instead of dicking around and lowballing him.

Kessel had just come off a 36 goal season and was being offered less than 9-goal Milan Lucic.

With the cap being what it is now, Kessel getting $7-8 million/year is not a big deal.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Provided he continues producing at this rate, and given the dollars being given out to UFA's of late, I would be happy with 6.5-7. If he ended up at 7.5, I would be ok with it at the end of the day if he were still a point-per-gamer or cabaple of consistent.y scoring 35-40 goals.
Or Burke can give players like Richards that every one wants for like a bazillion dollars and a lifetime contract for a 60's point player who was also a minus player!!

Give kessel what he wants...no matter what he wants!!! It is not my money...nor any of your's!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 12:05 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
PK and Burke will definately work something out!!! I'm sure of it!
Burke loves Kessel...Kessel loves T.O.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Yup! i am soooooooooo glad we did not get Brad R and that horrible contract... he's good for 60pts consistently, but for how many more years? Give me Kess anyday on a long term deal
Quote:
Or Burke can give players like Richards that every one wants for like a bazillion dollars and a lifetime contract for a 60's point player who was also a minus player!!

Give kessel what he wants...no matter what he wants!!! It is not my money...nor any of your's!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 12:11 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
PK and Burke will definately work something out!!! I'm sure of it!
Burke loves Kessel...Kessel loves T.O.
MLSE is all about the love.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
So...If he want's 8 mill...would you rather see him walk for nothing??? I don't understand people here...LISTEN UP!!! IT'S NOT OUR EFFING MONEY!!! AND MLSE HAS MORE MONEY THAN ANY OF US CAN COUNT IN 10 LIFE TIMES!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 12:16 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
I imagine we'd offer him what he's worth, instead of dicking around and lowballing him.

Kessel had just come off a 36 goal season and was being offered less than 9-goal Milan Lucic.

With the cap being what it is now, Kessel getting $7-8 million/year is not a big deal.
And if Kessel decides he's worth $98 million over 13 years does Burke offer that? If the CBA changes, does Burke offer Kessel the max allowable if his agent asks for it? How far do we go with it here?

Old
07-23-2012, 12:17 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post

No one low balled the guy and coming off one year where he scored 36g and had 60pts doesn't make him a freaking superstar .

Even now he has major holes in his game and we'll see how much he produces in a tighter more defensive system . PK has a high end offensive game but he's still just as soft and weak in on our zone as the day he came here .

Old
07-23-2012, 12:18 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
So...If he want's 8 mill...would you rather see him walk for nothing??? I don't understand people here...LISTEN UP!!! IT'S NOT OUR EFFING MONEY!!! AND MLSE HAS MORE MONEY THAN ANY OF US CAN COUNT IN 10 LIFE TIMES!!!
I don't give a damn about MLSE money but i do give a damn about the cap .

Old
07-23-2012, 12:20 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
And if Kessel decides he's worth $98 million over 13 years does Burke offer that? If the CBA changes, does Burke offer Kessel the max allowable if his agent asks for it? How far do we go with it here?
If Burkes still here PK and his agent have all the leverage .

Old
07-23-2012, 12:21 AM
ALine

Quote:
I agre with this for the most part, I Don't care about the contract dollars these guys are making. But you must understand that in the cap era that we now live in very few players are worth 8 mil a year, as it limits a teams ability to spend on more players to improve a team.

I don't see Kessel even making it to free agency though, but rather, sign an extension in that last year. There's no reason to wait longer than that.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:24 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I agre with this for the most part, I Don't care about the contract dollars these guys are making. But you must understand that in the cap era that we now live in very few players are worth 8 mil a year, as it limits a teams ability to spend on more players to improve a team.

I don't see Kessel even making it to free agency though, but rather, sign an extension in that last year. There's no reason to wait longer than that.
Crosby and Malikin on the Pens!!! 8+ MILL EACH...THEY WIN CUPS!