HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

How Much Will Kessel Make?

Old
07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
cannucky

vCash: 500
back to the OP - Too much , next question please

cannucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

The way some Toronto fans/media treat our best player, it wouldn't surprise me if he leaves. And I won't blame him. For shame.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Wilf Paiement was an excellent player(90 pts) and Fuhr did get us Andreychuk.If Kessel walks,Burke will have to flee Toronto,nevermind firing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilf_Paiement
I liked Wilf, but Lanny was HOF. Saw him win the cup at The Forum. And Fuhr/Anderson were good players and I loved the way Andreychuk played. Especially 93-94 first half was Hart material, that took the sting out of losing Damphousse. But Parent was sensational and Favell never really panned out.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
The way some Toronto fans/media treat our best player, it wouldn't surprise me if he leaves. And I won't blame him. For shame.
Yup, considering what his peers think of him, it's sad people would rather push him out.

Quote:
For our March 19 issue of The Hockey News, we polled five players from each NHL team for who they thought were the top five players in the league today. Players couldn't vote for teammates. After tabulating the votes, we ended up with a ranking of the top 50 players in the NHL.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...yers-No-1.html

Phil Kessel #16, and 2 players ahead of him have since retired.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Yup, considering what his peers think of him, it's sad people would rather push him out.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...yers-No-1.html

Phil Kessel #16, and 2 players ahead of him have since retired.
It really is an embarrassment. Give yourselves a pat on the back Leafs fans.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
That's a nice story. But it's simply not true. A player who is more productive every season wouldn't give up possession like you have just described. Maybe that's what you do when you're playing NHL 12, but in real life Kessel does nothing of the sort.
Sadly it is not a story, but a reality. Kessel does not take hits to make plays or to get the puck out. He pulls the chute!

Lets hope that Carlyle gets him to play with less fear.....a little wood in his a** would help.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Old
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Honestly, i dont see Kessel as the type of guy to let the media or certain leaf "fans" get to him.... the guy had and beat cancer, he is one cool customer. With that said, he will get between 7-8 mil cap hit on a long term deal of 7-8 years. (depending on the new cba of course)
Why are you low balling him?

7/8M in terms of percentage of the cap is just a little bit more than what he got in 2009.

So he didn't earn a good raise?

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:13 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

What. A. Beaut.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
So...If he want's 8 mill...would you rather see him walk for nothing??? I don't understand people here...LISTEN UP!!! IT'S NOT OUR EFFING MONEY!!! AND MLSE HAS MORE MONEY THAN ANY OF US CAN COUNT IN 10 LIFE TIMES!!!
But MLSE can only give what any other team gives.

So the more they give to Kessel, the less they will have available for his supporting cast.

So your rationale about the money MLSE has available is wrong in a cap world, CAP LETTERS or not ( ).

And that is not to say that he has not earned a good raise.

In my opinion, 8M is not enough.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I think he'll make somewhere between 6.5 and 7m per season on his new contract, assuming he continues to produce at ~PPG.
That's a lesser piece of the salary pie compared to 2009.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
But MLSE can only give what any other team gives.

So the more they give to Kessel, the less they will have available for his supporting cast.

So your rationale about the money MLSE has available is wrong in a cap world, CAP LETTERS or not ( ).

And that is not to say that he has not earned a good raise.

In my opinion, 8M is not enough.
Well if he is in the top ten in scoring in the next two years, 8 mill might very well not be enough.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
That's a lesser piece of the salary pie compared to 2009.
Well that depends if there is a rollback or not.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Loved that goal

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Well that depends if there is a rollback or not.
We can only talk about what is now, not about what might be, but you're right.

This discussion could be about what percentage of the cap he should get for his next contract.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:13 AM
darrylsittler27

Great goal,now send that piece to Anaheim.

5th last.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:07 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
5th last.
Wonder where the Habs fans want to pack that 3rd last place finishing goalie off to. The guy must be a total dud.

4evaBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:45 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Sadly it is not a story, but a reality. Kessel does not take hits to make plays or to get the puck out. He pulls the chute!

Lets hope that Carlyle gets him to play with less fear.....a little wood in his a** would help.
Yes, it is a story. Maybe you just think he doesn't take hits because he's good at avoiding them, using his speed.

You need to stop perpetuating this myth that Kessel plays with fear.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:38 AM
93KILLER93

Phil's motivations to play in Toronto are known only to himself. One can speculate his strong desire and loyalty to win in Toronto and another can speculate he will ultimately choose the greenest path.
The new Collective bargaining agreement will have a great impact on Kessel's market value and decision to either re-sign or test the free agent market.Speculation at the moment is premature to say the least. An important factor could very well be the redefined contract terms for unrestricted free agents.So long as Burke is at the helm in Toronto, it may greatly impact our ability to retain Phil if the contract lengths are not limited to 5-6 years.
It has been said "the best indicator of a person's behavior is past behavior"
As you know we acquired Phil from Boston as Phil did not appreciate the contract offer from Boston. We can argue whether the offer was fair but ultimatley he left the city for more money.This is by no means an attack on his character.(He has his own motivations as all people do)
This is important to note however as he took the business offer very personal.He in turn asked his agent to find a resolution even if it meant leaving the city.
Brian Burke has been known as a frugal GM and he may issue what may be perceived an "insult offer" to Phil's camp.If Phil has any indicaton of being "unappreciated" by a percieved low ball offer, he may very well opt to test the waters.

Now couple that with a potential long (7+year) term offer from another club (that Burke seems reluctant to offer) and it could spell disaster.

Furthermore, not only does the possibility exists for this free agent to walk in his final year,he also has the abiity to balk any impending trade offers during his final year.It is extremely important for the General Manager to manage this situation to the best of his abilities before the start of the 2013-14 Season

This club is still suffering from the Muskoka 5 including Sundin our franchise player who walked for absolutely nothing.Now ideallly we will be able to retain Phil with a mutually benfitial contract.However if this proves difficult,losing Phil Kessel via trade would not be the worst case scenerio...losing him for nothing would certainly be.

93KILLER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
JackJ

Burke will give him 7-7.5mil AAV. 6-7 years.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
deuce457

I think if the NHL gets their way and limits contract to a maximum of 5 years, you will see Malkin sign for 5 years $60M, which is an average of $12M per season.

The maximum contract a player can sign for is $14M, so its not out of the question.

This contract will change the landscape, and a player like Kessel will get around 5 years $40M and all the players that signed huge long term deals will soon regret them.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I don't think we'll see a shift to 5 year term limits on all contracts, just on RFA contracts, and then a change to cap calculations to reduce the massive front loading of contracts and the tailing off of contracts. I don't have a huge problem with 8 year deals, or even 10 year deals (for a 25 or 26 year old) but I do have an issue with the last 3 years at $1 000 000.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I don't think we'll see a shift to 5 year term limits on all contracts, just on RFA contracts, and then a change to cap calculations to reduce the massive front loading of contracts and the tailing off of contracts. I don't have a huge problem with 8 year deals, or even 10 year deals (for a 25 or 26 year old) but I do have an issue with the last 3 years at $1 000 000.
You may be right, restricted free agents have a maximum length deal of 5 years, I still think UFAs will be cut to 7 or 8 years.

If that is the case the average annual salaries are going to increase as a result.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
You may be right, restricted free agents have a maximum length deal of 5 years, I still think UFAs will be cut to 7 or 8 years.

If that is the case the average annual salaries are going to increase as a result.

Look at Philly's poison pill offer sheet...

Old
07-24-2012, 12:14 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post

Aerage salaries will be more represented by cap hits, which is a better, truer system. All players combined get a fixed % of revenues, so these front loaded deals kinda screw other players in the end.