HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
PensPlz

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
I wonder how many shot blocks Nash will have this season.

Also, why haven't we signed anyone yet? A couple injuries here or there (as are quite common with us) and we are too thin to compete.

Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
IF and it's a big IF, Philly does get Weber, we need to make some improvements and not at the deadline IMO. Looking at rosters, unless our defense shocks me, I for one don't see how Philly and NYR aren't better on paper (again, if Philly is to get Weber) than us. Kills me to say it too....

One thing is for sure though, another team is out on Ryan. That means, they're running out of options for trade for him. I still don't think we have the assets but we just may.
I think this trade shows us just how much teams covet those quality young defense assets, even if they have a few of their own.

Cbus is better off on defense than Anaheim, yet Erixon still gets included here.

Old
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
It's not trolling if it's an opinion.

Nash is overpaid.
Sorry I forgot the haha or lol thing after it. I'm just really surprised you are serious. Nash may be overpaid, but with the cap going up and the ridiculous contracts recently handed out, it's not a bad contract. Now if he doesn't put up 40 goals or 75 points, then yes you will be right. But for NY, it doesn't really matter. They gave up 2 current 3rd liners, a late 1st, and a solid d prospect on a team with a great young top 4 core.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
What was the original offer that Howson was hoping for?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Jaded-Fan

Let's overreact and make a dumb trade or sign a UFA for stupid money and/or term because the Rangers improved themselves and Philly may do so as well. I love brilliant reasoning such as this.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Callahan - Stepan - Nash

is that about what they'll have next year for the top 6?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
It certainly had to have Kreider or at least Hagelin included in the package.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Howson was obviously stuck on the number of pieces he got instead of quality of the pieces. Getting an average 2nd liner in Dubinsky, enigma like Anisimov, very good not elite prospect Erixon and a late 1st is brutal.
How is Anisimov an enigma?

Old
mpp9

Dubinsky better do well with his new team. That's just an awful return.

Old
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
McDonagh or Del Zotto + Kreider were part of it.

Old
SomeDude

The Pens' equivalent of that package is TK, Dustin Jeffrey, Phil Samuelsson, and a 1st

Nash is overpaid, but mother of God Scott Howson sucks at his job

Old
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Callahan - Stepan - Nash

is that about what they'll have next year for the top 6?
Yeah that looks about right. With Hagelin on the 3rd line. Pretty solid.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
The Pens' equivalent of that package is TK, Dustin Jeffrey, Phil Samuelsson, and a 1st

Let's not exaggerate the other way. It would have likely been TK, Tangradi, 1st, and Harrington. Or something like that. Maybe a tad more. Dubinsky is better than TK and Tangradi, and Anisimov is better as well. But you get the picture.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Let's overreact and make a dumb trade or sign a UFA for stupid money and/or term because the Rangers improved themselves and Philly may do so as well. I love brilliant reasoning such as this.

Agreed. Every fan base has it's group of fans that have no patience and overreact to just about everything though.

Weren't we supposed to be the dream team when Sid got healthy last year but got bounced in round one because many guys played well below their capabilities. It happens.

Old
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
How is Anisimov an enigma?
1 minute he looks legit as a very good player while scoring a flashy goal. Next 10 games he looks invisible and you wonder if he's been on the ice at all. How isn't he?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think this trade shows us just how much teams covet those quality young defense assets, even if they have a few of their own.

Cbus is better off on defense than Anaheim, yet Erixon still gets included here.
Honest question, would you include Sutter in a package for Ryan with two of our d prospects?

I like Sutter but 2nd/3rd line centers can be had much easier than 1st line wingers.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
sf expat71

So the Rags won the trade, pretty decisively. Still, I think some us are overreacting here. Nash is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he was a "franchise player" only because the "franchise" we are talking about is CBJ. Are the Rangers better now? Sure. Still, I'm fairly convinced they overachieved last year by a bit and I highly doubt they are Eastern Conference regular season leaders good. If Nash tears it up in the playoffs, I'll eat my words, but honestly, I don't expect them to improve much if at all on their record from last year. Besides, the Penguins problem isn't personnel, it's defensive coverage, and no one player, not even Weber, is going to address that. Still though, I sure as heck hope NSH matches the Weber offer sheet....

Old
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
It's not trolling if it's an opinion.

Nash is overpaid.
If he produces like he did earlier in his career, he's not overpaid, especially with the money that's being doled out recently.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Honest question, would you include Sutter in a package for Ryan with two of our d prospects?

I like Sutter but 2nd/3rd line centers can be had much easier than 1st line wingers.
I just don't think Shero is the kind of guy to flip a guy like that.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post

AA and Dubinsky are much better than the fans here are giving credit. They are worth the same as someone like Brandon Sutter, not someone like TK or Jeffrey.

Old
johnniewalker

This board is intolerable this offseason. The team we have, as presently constructed, is still a playoff team. The variance between Staal as a 3rd line center with Cooke and Kennedy as wingers and Sutter as a 3rd line center with Cooke and Kennedy as wingers is small. Michalek is gone, to be replaced by whichever defender does best out of the pack of defenders vying for the spot he vacated. We get back a healthy Crosby for the season, and hopefully a Paul Martin that returns to form. In my opinion, we are just about the same team that got crushed by Philly in round one of the playoffs, but we are likely wiser and will hopefully have learned what happens when you let a team get you completely off your game.

The bottom line is that Shero can't force teams to trade assets with him, nor can he force free agents to sign here. He can present an offer to those teams that represents the best package of money or players that he feels is reasonable for whatever is coming back, but he can't make a GM or player take it. I'm sure that Shero was involved in every single one of the Nash/Parise/Suter/Weber negotiations, but at the end of the day he either wasn't willing or wasn't able to offer what those teams/players wanted. Just because Nash was traded for Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon and a 1st does not mean that Howson would have valued Kennedy as much as Anisimov or Morrow as much as Erixon. We clearly didn't have the package of assets he was looking for.

I would rather Shero stand pat and head into camp with whoever is best of Tangradi/Kennedy/Bennett on Crosby's wing and whichever two of our myriad defensemen are best as our 3rd pairing and see what we've got throughout the course of the season than overpay one of the remaining free agent wingers, or overpay to trade for a winger under a contract. The rentals that will be available at the trade deadline will likely be just as good as one of the Kostitsyns, or Semin for 7m a year on a long-term deal. In the meantime, the value of Strait/Tangradi/Bortuzzo will likely only go up as they gain experience at the NHL level, and we may even get a pleasant surprise in one of them that solves our problem.

Old
cassius

The only positive aspect of this trade... is Dubinsky going to a rebuilding team.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I just don't think Shero is the kind of guy to flip a guy like that.
Everyone wants to not get on Shero and thats great. But we still have 2 top 6 spots to fill and there is not much left around the free agent market. He's gonna need to make something happen soon.

Old
regard

Quote:
Howson was hoping to get Kreider and one of McDonough or Del Zotto added to a deal that Sather offered, which was very similar to the one that was just pulled off. Im not sure Sather added any more than his original offer.

Man if Howson was just gonna take alot of depth he could have at least tried to bleed NY of that. Asked for Hagelin too. Or some of McIlrath, JTMiller, Thomas. Basically every middling peice.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If he produces like he did earlier in his career, he's not overpaid, especially with the money that's being doled out recently.
agreed. He can create enough offense on his own that he can turn his line into a good scoring line with pretty much whoever they play him with.

Closed Thread