HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Another thought. Ownership may push for matching. They have had a contiuous uptick in attendence, from 14,000 in 2009 to 16,000 paid last year. Now they lost Suter, they almost can't afford to lose Weber or they lose the fans. Match and the ownership becomes heros and likely they keep attendence and in a perverse way will get a pass with what happened with Suter over if they had just signed Weber long term.

I would not be surpised to see ownership almost forced to match, and pushing more than Poile.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:56 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Interesting thought in this quote. David Poile has been here before. And regretted not matching before. It may color what he does this time:

In 1990, (David Poile) was Washington's GM when the St. Louis Blues gave an offer sheet to defenseman Scott Stevens who was as important to the Capitals as Weber is to Nashville.

Poile chose not to match, and accepted the compensation of five first round picks. Those picks became Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo. Poile has said in interviews through the years that he regretted his decision to let Stevens leave.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ers/56334308/1
Posted some of this info on the main page. Probably cost the Capitals a cup or two not being able to keep Scott Stevens around. If Weber is allowed to walk without proper compensation going back to Nashville, it will only be a couple of years before they go the way of the Atlanta Thrashers.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It's a double edged sword, though. I'll give him credit for being a guy who makes a move when he wants to, but is it always a good decision? There were a few times w/ Philly where I shake my head because sometimes you just have to build a foundation over time. You can't buy a foundation. Between the Rangers and the Flyers, I truly believe they could have at least won 1 more Cup each if they just built a team instead of trying to buy them. Philly especially. Look at teams who drafted solid core players and how they worked during Cup runs. Being good but not great is nothing I'd want to strive for and I'm hoping to not come off as a dick, but the 75 streak continues to grow w/ that strategy.

Same goes for this current team. I think it's time they just build the foundation with their young players. If they don't get Weber and blow it up to get a guy like Nash, I won't be afraid to say I told ya so. And I know we are rivals, but a part of me just screams w/ frustration for you guys when they refuse to just build a team. It makes zero sense to me.
Agreed in full.

I've never understood it. You could make multiple cup teams with the players they've had over the last decade.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:57 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

In a way, if Nashville ends up matching for Weber, this would kinda be a god-sent for their fan base and would go along way in healing the damage left by Suter leaving. Their fan base would feel fortunate to have Weber on a 14-year contract and starting off your core with Weber and Rinne is not a bad start!

If Poile let's Suter and Weber both go in return for four late first round picks, he should lose his job. Not to mention he's been Philadelphia's ***** for years now. I'd rather not have them be the Flyers' farm team anymore.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Agreed in full.

I've never understood it. You could make multiple cup teams with the players they've had over the last decade.
To play Devil's Advocate, that 2004 Flyers team should have run away with the cup (thankfully, they didn't). That was one of the most stacked NHL rosters in recent memory, and they just got ass-f***ed with injuries (and still got to Game 7 of the ECF).

Old
07-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
In a way, if Nashville ends up matching for Weber, this would kinda be a god-sent for their fan base and would go along way in healing the damage left by Suter leaving. Their fan base would feel fortunate to have Weber on a 14-year contract and starting off your core with Weber and Rinne is not a bad start!

If Poile let's Suter and Weber both go in return for four late first round picks, he should lose his job. Not to mention he's been Philadelphia's ***** for years now. I'd rather not have them be the Flyers' farm team anymore.
Yeah I mentioned just this.

Nashville has gained 2000 seats a game over 2009. That is at least an extra $4.5 to $5 million per year, just for the regular season. They need to keep those fans, and that gain almost pays Weber's annual cap hit by itself.

If they had just let Suter walk and signed Weber long term, people would be happy they did. But if they match Philly's offer they will feel that they 'beat' the consensus dicks of the league who were trying to screw them over. I could see it generating far more excitment than just signing Weber themselves would have done.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
mpp9

I remember TR suggesting a Frolik trade earlier in the year. How about moving Martin for Clutterbuck and Cooke for Frolik. We replace Cooke with a younger and just as defensively responsible forward, but with the physical edge Cooke is likely to shy away from. The Hawks get a solid PKer and proven third line forward for the playoffs. Minnesota gets a top 4 D-man on the cheap. And we get a top 6 skillset with moving pieces not named Despres and Morrow.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:42 AM
wej20

I think Clutterbuck would cost more than Martin and it wouldn't work salary wise for Minny unless they dumped someone else on us.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I think Clutterbuck would cost more than Martin and it wouldn't work salary wise for Minny unless they dumped someone else on us.
there's no way Martin can't bring back Clutterbuck +, but you are definitely right on the salary part.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Wow, you're right. Their salary cap structure is crazy now. They better hope their prospects pan out. Gonna need some cost controlled contracts. Just looked on capgeek.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Had a crazy dream last night, where Shero made an offer sheet to match the flyer's one at 8.1 mil. Like a counter/alternate offer that of course cost us picks and force either philly or Nash to match or we compensate nash with the amount of 1st rounder required. Now i'm not even sure something like this is possible, let alone even allowed. Cause it was a dream. But man if it was real that would make things around here and the league really crazy, Holmgren would probably pop a blood vessel.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
there's no way Martin can't bring back Clutterbuck +, but you are definitely right on the salary part.
Agreed, not sure why the Wild would even consider that without even thinking salaries

Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Looks like today might be a busy day ... Versteeg signed for 4 years and Ottawa extended Daugavins for a year. So, two more RFA signings that avoid arbitration. The Versteeg contract was cutting it close ... his hearing was set for today.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

So, when are we meeting with Shane Doan

Old
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Corvidae

The Martin trade talk really needs to die for now. Unless they sign another NHL ready defenseman for next year he's staying put.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Canes beat reporter is speculating Sasha is asking $7mil/year ... article doesn't mention anything about discount for term. http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...er-semin-redux

Old
07-23-2012, 09:39 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Looks like today might be a busy day ... Versteeg signed for 4 years and Ottawa extended Daugavins for a year. So, two more RFA signings that avoid arbitration. The Versteeg contract was cutting it close ... his hearing was set for today.
Im curious what the dollar amount will be on the Versteeg deal, will he get fair value, which should be some where in the 4-4.25M department... Or will he get an overpay for meeting cap floor purposes?

Old
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Konstantin Koltsov

This is interesting:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday

Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Koltsov View Post
This is interesting:

Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHLPA to void his trade to #Isles, claiming his no-trade clause is still valid.
that is excellent. those poor Islanders

Old
07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
mpp9

I'd take him here.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
This is interesting:

Wow. Islanders finally steal a trade and it may be revoked. Ouch.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Interesting. Anaheim can't really give back the draft pick since they already spent it and probably spent it on a different player than what NYI would have taken. I guess they'd have to give a future 2nd but I think it's unlikely Vis is getting out of this deal. Maybe he can leverage himself to another team though. NYI probably would want at least the 2nd they gave for him.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Old
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
The Martin trade talk really needs to die for now. Unless they sign another NHL ready defenseman for next year he's staying put.
Had we signed Suter and Parise I would have bet he was on his way out and for pretty much any return. Now with Michalek gone and the fact that we've done nothing defensively, I have a feeling Shero and company will give him 1 more shot to turn things around and rebound from last year

Old
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
This is interesting:

Unreal but then again not surprising for that franchise that's still paying Yashin

Closed Thread