HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Kind of sick , but Markov is supposely the 5th best defensemen scorer of the habs of all-time.Just passed brisebois.
What a coincidence, everyone else "just passed" breezeby too..

Old
01-24-2013, 09:22 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
What a coincidence, everyone else "just passed" breezeby too..
sorry , I don't get it

probably an english problem on my part lol

Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
sorry , I don't get it

probably an english problem on my part lol
The "Breeze By" nickname must have been coined by Anglophone Habs fans. It basically says he sucks.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
BubbaBoot

I'd take a healthy Markov over a healthy Brisebois any day.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:54 PM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I'd take a healthy Markov over a healthy Brisebois any day.
I hope so lol

Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Forgive me but... it's almost midnight here and I just finished viewing my slate of nhl centre ice games I had queued up. I just watched Marleau score his third consecutive two-goal game in a 4-3 game winner with less than two minutes remaining. Then, with seconds left and an empty net Marleau recovered the puck and instead of trying to lob the puck up ice for a hat trick empty netter he made the safe, simple pass to Pavelski to clear the zone and ensure the win. Pavelski scores anyway on the subsequent rush.

In three Sharks games, Niemi, Marleau, Thornton and Brad Stuart have been stellar. If Couture, Pavelski and Boyle could be more consistent, the Sharks have a real shot at a cup run. (Burns and Demers will be healthy soon, yet the club is 3-0 to start, and really solid wins too.)

Old
01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Forgive me but... it's almost midnight here and I just finished viewing my slate of nhl centre ice games I had queued up. I just watched Marleau score his third consecutive two-goal game in a 4-3 game winner with less than two minutes remaining. Then, with seconds left and an empty net Marleau recovered the puck and instead of trying to lob the puck up ice for a hat trick empty netter he made the safe, simple pass to Pavelski to clear the zone and ensure the win. Pavelski scores anyway on the subsequent rush.

In three Sharks games, Niemi, Marleau, Thornton and Brad Stuart have been stellar. If Couture, Pavelski and Boyle could be more consistent, the Sharks have a real shot at a cup run. (Burns and Demers will be healthy soon, yet the club is 3-0 to start, and really solid wins too.)
I don't think I can forgive this sort of Marleau worship.

You can let me know if he makes it to the final four sometime and doesn't fold up immediately.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Hawkman

The Force is with us

Quote:
Sci-fi filmmaker J.J. Abrams will direct "Star Wars: Episode VII", Walt Disney Co said after days of speculation, giving hope to many long-suffering fans who were disappointed by the last three installments in the iconic franchise. The announcement was greeted with celebrations on online networks by the films' army of enthusiasts who have already watched Abrams rescue the aging "Star Trek" series with a high-grossing prequel in 2009.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...ntent=My+Yahoo I'm very happy about this.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:10 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
....greeted with celebrations on online networks by the films' army of enthusiasts who have already watched Abrams rescue the aging "Star Trek" series with a high-grossing prequel in 2009.
That was one rip-roar ride of a sci-fi flick! I hadn't so much unreflective rafting-like fun since Indiana Jones and the original Star Trek and Empire Strikes Back films.

The age of true adventure films I had thought was dead. If he can revive the genre of sci-fi adventure, man, he should take on the Westerns next.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:16 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
As long as he doesn't involve time travel or any other paradoxical mysteries that by the end of the movie they just decide not to elaborate on and instead ignore completely.

If I ever meet JJ Abrams I am going to kick him in the nuts for Lost and Fringe ending to badly after starting off so intriguingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
That was one rip-roar ride of a sci-fi flick! I hadn't so much unreflective rafting-like fun since Indiana Jones and the original Star Trek and Empire Strikes Back films.

The age of true adventure films I had thought was dead. If he can revive the genre of sci-fi adventure, man, he should take on the Westerns next.
I liked it quite a bit too, but it was hardly Sci-Fi.

Like you say, it was an action/adventure movie with a bunch of Star Trek in-jokes in a Star Trek setting.

Maybe with the second one now having the characters all re-established etc. they can actually do something with a plot or character development.

At this point I almost think there should be a "Abrams time travel as a plot crutch" drinking game.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:19 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The nerd in me hated Abrams' take on Star Trek.

I think he'd be a much better fit for Star Wars, but I swear if he "reboots" anything with time travel, I will hunt him down.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:26 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

I always wanted to start watching the whole Star Trek series (all of them).I hated Star Wars but everytime I catched a random episode of Star Trek it seemed to be more suited for my taste.Don't know why I never watched it.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I always wanted to start watching the whole Star Trek series (all of them).I hated Star Wars but everytime I catched a random episode of Star Trek it seemed to be more suited for my taste.Don't know why I never watched it.
Do yourself a favor and don't watch Enterprise with Scott Bakula.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I liked it quite a bit too, but it was hardly Sci-Fi.

Like you say, it was an action/adventure movie with a bunch of Star Trek in-jokes in a Star Trek setting.

Maybe with the second one now having the characters all re-established etc. they can actually do something with a plot or character development.
Indeed.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:31 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't watch Enterprise with Scott Bakula.
where should I start with the Star Treks? anybody kind enough to do a list? (not talking about the moviers necessarily , I wanna watch the series as well but there's so many of them it is quite confusing for a star trek noob)

Old
01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
where should I start with the Star Treks? anybody kind enough to do a list? (not talking about the moviers necessarily , I wanna watch the series as well but there's so many of them it is quite confusing for a star trek noob)
Definitely start with either the Original Series or Star Trek - The Next Generation. After The Next Generation, you can watch Deep Space 9 or Voyager if you want. I didn't get so into DS9 or Voyager, but I've been told the later seasons of DS9 are very good.

The Original Series is very 60s trippy sci fi with laughably terrible special effects. Some of the episodes are amazing and some of them are total crap. It was very popular in reruns with college kids in the 70s, if you know what I mean.

The Next Generation is definitely the most intellectual of the Star Treks. The first two seasons are hit-or-miss, but it gets really good in Season 3.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
The next generation
The original series

If you want to explore more

In order
Voyager
Enterprise

Dominion war arc of DS9

rest of DS9

Old
01-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Definitely start with either the Original Series or Star Trek - The Next Generation. After The Next Generation, you can watch Deep Space 9 or Voyager if you want. I never got that into Deep Space 9 or Voyager, but I'm told that Deep Space 9 got really good in later seasons.

The Original Series is very 60s trippy sci fi with laughably terrible special effects. Some of the episodes are amazing and some of them are total crap. It was very popular in reruns with college kids in the 70s, if you know what I mean.

The Next Generation is definitely the most intellectual of the Star Treks. The first two seasons are hit-or-miss, but it gets really good in Season 3.
DS9 never got good.. but the Dominion war is watchable and kind of important in the star trek timeline.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:38 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
DS9 never got good.. but the Dominion war is watchable and kind of important in the star trek timeline.
Come on, I've seen enough of DS9 to know it's leaps and bounds better than Enterprise. I mean, it's almost as if the producers knew Enterprise sucked, as they didn't even call it Star Trek in the title.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Come on, I've seen enough of DS9 to know it's leaps and bounds better than Enterprise. I mean, it's almost as if the producers knew Enterprise sucked, as they didn't even call it Star Trek in the title.
The first season of enterprise beats everything in DS9. True that after that they kind of went a little crazy but atleast they did the augments arc which was proper fun to watch.

DS9 is a travesty as they basically left science fiction completely and made a mystique drama thing with it.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:41 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
where should I start with the Star Treks?
If you want a Sean Connery Outland (1981) type atmospheric sci-fi then start with the original Star Trek (1979) feature film.

If you want rip-roar adventure then start with the latest Star Trek (2009) feature film which is much like Star Wars (1977).

Note: I went to the original Star Wars when it was in the theaters in 1977 and saw it THREE times on OPENING weekend!!! This was before cable t.v., when seeing a film multiple times in the theater wasn't unusual.

The next film I'd seen three times on opening weekend was The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (1981) starring Kristy McNichol, Dennis Quaid, Mark Hamill.

I have never seen a film three times at the theater since (though on tape, DVD, T.V. or online I've seen several films multiple times).

Quote:
DS9 is a travesty as they basically left science fiction completely and made a mystique drama thing with it.
Yeah, it's much like power politics. Petty, manipulative, special interest driven drivel.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

The only good StarWhatever series is StarGate as far as I am concerned. Though it is still pretty average show (SG1 and Atlantis; Univers sucks so much).

IMHO the best sci-fi shows are FireFly and BSG (mainly the mini-series and first two series, then it went downhill).

Old
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
The only good StarWhatever series is StarGate as far as I am concerned. Though it is still pretty average show (SG1 and Atlantis; Univers sucks so much).

IMHO the best sci-fi shows are FireFly and BSG (mainly the mini-series and first two series, then it went downhill).
BSG was a great series, both the original and the remake. Did you catch Caprica?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Definitely start with either the Original Series or Star Trek - The Next Generation. After The Next Generation, you can watch Deep Space 9 or Voyager if you want. I didn't get so into DS9 or Voyager, but I've been told the later seasons of DS9 are very good.

Pretty much agree with ya.

For me the Next Generation is the high water mark of the TV shows. Took on a lot of social/moral issues in their plots and had the best acting of any of the shows. And their characters had some depth over time as well.

The original series is alternatively horrible / great and as you said kind of difficult to watch these days and suspend disbelief because the effects are so bad.

After that, DS9 and Voyager are both decent but not anything new or particularly interesting. These are all post Roddenberry and they show it with more interpersonal conflict etc. instead of the more uplifting or utopian future Roddenberry envisioned. Almost laughably to me they seemingly made the sets darker and more shadowed in all the post Roddenberry series and movies.

DS9 in particular suffers from long periods where not much happens at all and Voyager has an annoying plot device of characters going completely out of character in some episodes to drive them.

The Dominion war arc actually is pretty interesting though.

Enterprise is best forgotten about.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

My favorite sci fi shows are Star Trek - TNG and Doctor Who. Though Firefly is pretty awesome.

Closed Thread