HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Pretty much agree with ya.

For me the Next Generation is the high water mark of the TV shows. Took on a lot of social/moral issues in their plots and had the best acting of any of the shows. And their characters had some depth over time as well.

The original series is alternatively horrible / great and as you said kind of difficult to watch these days and suspend disbelief because the effects are so bad.

After that, DS9 and Voyager are both decent but not anything new or particularly interesting. These are all post Roddenberry and they show it with more interpersonal conflict etc. instead of the more uplifting or utopian future Roddenberry envisioned. Almost laughably to me they seemingly made the sets darker and more shadowed in all the post Roddenberry series and movies.

DS9 in particular suffers from long periods where not much happens at all and Voyager has an annoying plot device of characters going completely out of character in some episodes to drive them.

The Dominion war arc actually is pretty interesting though.

Enterprise is best forgotten about.
Yeah, there's honestly no point in bothering with either DS9 or Voyager if you haven't already watched TNG. Neither is anything special as a stand-alone show.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
The only good StarWhatever series is StarGate as far as I am concerned. Though it is still pretty average show (SG1 and Atlantis; Univers sucks so much).

IMHO the best sci-fi shows are FireFly and BSG (mainly the mini-series and first two series, then it went downhill).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
BSG was a great series, both the original and the remake. Did you catch Caprica?
Loved the remake of BSG -- miniseries and first couple of seasons.

Then they pulled an Abrams and ruined it with contradictory writing, spiritual nonsense, and then it had an absolutely horrible ending.

Blew it completely by the end, seriously.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Star Trek - The Next Generation is the STANDARD by which all other Star Treks is judged. On that we agree.

Engage!

Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Star Trek - The Next Generation is the STANDARD by which all other Star Treks is judged. On that we agree.

It's too bad most of the TNG movies sucked.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, they really did.

Always amazed me that they could pack a much better story into a one hour episode with commercials than a 1.5-2 hour movie.

I know the pacing etc has to be different for a movie but I swear if they just made a double episode and called it a movie it would have been better than the horrible stories in the movies.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Indeed. That's why I only cited the original Star Trek (1979) and the newest Star Trek (2009), one a pure science fiction spectacle and the other an action adventure ride. Both worth the price of admission. (Bring them back to the big screen and I'd pay to see them once again.)

Old
01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Indeed. That's why I only cited the original Star Trek (1979) and the newest Star Trek (2009), one a pure science fiction spectacle and the other an action adventure ride. Both worth the price of admission. (Bring them back to the big screen and I'd pay to see them once again.)
The 1979 Star Trek was really too slow paced for my liking. And I thought it was boring - they took out anything that would make it interesting to make it G rated. IMO, Star Treks II, III, IV and VI were great movies. IV was a bit dopey, but it was still fun and wrapped up the story arc of II and III. Star Trek V... well... that's what you get when you let a campy actor like William Shatner direct a movie.... heh.

Of the TNG movies, First Contact was a solid movie, but the ones after it were like mediocre TV episodes stretched into 2 hours. I mean, Nemesis, seriously, you're going to clone Captain Picard and the only way his clone even resembles him is that it's bald?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
BSG was a great series, both the original and the remake. Did you catch Caprica?
Yea, I've seen Caprica..it started slow, then got a lot better. For me, Caprica is a notch below BSG though.

Has anyone here played Mass Effect series? The main story is average at best, but the lore and some of the characters are amazing. Easily one of the best sci-fi universes out there as far as I am concerned.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Ok so wait , in which order should I watch all of this.

For the sake of clearness let's forget the movies for a second , so I should watch:

-Original series (bad special effects are irrelevant to me , not watching movies/series for special effects)
-The Next Generation
-?
-?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Hawkman
Chicago Sports

Doctor Who/Firefly

Quote:
My favorite sci fi shows are Star Trek - TNG and Doctor Who. Though Firefly is pretty awesome.
The original Star Trek has some episodes written by science fiction authors that are really good and the special effects are not bad taking into consideration it was made in the 60s. Doctor Who and Firefly are my 2 favs. Excluding you guys, there is almost universal agreement among Star Trek fans that (before the reboot came out) The Wrath of Khan is by far the best ST movie and it is. You guys might not believe this, but when I was growing up if you liked sci-fi, fantasy (such as The Lord of the Rings), computers, etc. you were totally considered a misfit/outcast. The Force is truly with us now in these more enlightened times.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

I have seen all the Star trek movies and Next Generation series episodes and too many of DS9 but very few of Voyager!!!!

Does anyone have a working link to streaming episoides of Voyager? I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to no avail.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Am I the only one on the planet that HATED the Lord of the Rings trilogy? I mean I don't even know how I managed to finish the trilogy.It was just plain boring and pointless.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
I have seen all the Star trek movies and Next Generation series episodes and too many of DS9 but very few of Voyager!!!!

Does anyone have a working link to streaming episoides of Voyager? I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to no avail.
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/i..._trek_voyager/

not sure if I can do that , if not mod delete please

Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Am I the only one on the planet that HATED the Lord of the Rings trilogy? I mean I don't even know how I managed to finish the trilogy.It was just plain boring and pointless.
I never saw them. I LOVE Sci-Fi, and detest Fantasy. Always have.

Science fiction is about the future and real possibilities whereas fantasy is hankering-about about impossible pasts, by and large.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:30 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
I never saw them. I LOVE Sci-Fi, and detest Fantasy. Always have.

Science fiction is about the future and real possibilities whereas fantasy is ****ing about impossible pasts, by and large.
Completely agree , I don't even know why these two areas are often put in the same large ''category''.Not the same at all.

That's why I loved Space Odyssey 2001 so much.I loved everything about it.It was a mix between science fiction and metaphysics.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Hawkman
Chicago Sports

Quote:
The Hobbit is even worse. They took a book shorter than all 3 LotR books and made 3 movies out of it!?! Nothing happened. They even ridiculed it on SNL. MY son and I were so upset we made a pact to never go to the theater again except for the 2 Star and the Transformer (he likes it) franchises.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok so wait , in which order should I watch all of this.

For the sake of clearness let's forget the movies for a second , so I should watch:

-Original series (bad special effects are irrelevant to me , not watching movies/series for special effects)
-The Next Generation
-?
-?
Honestly, the Next Generation is 7 seasons of 25 episodes each. Between that and the Original Series, you'll be busy for a long time.

If you want to watch them chronologically, watch

1) The Original Series
2) The first 6 movies
3) The Next Generation
4) Deep Space 9/Voyager/The Next Generation Movies (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. Be prepared for the last 2 to be horrible).

Enterprise is a prequel, so you can watch it any time, but why would you do that to yourself?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
That's why I loved Space Odyssey 2001 so much.I loved everything about it.
See Star Trek (1979) then.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
See Star Trek (1979) then.
Yeah, Star Trek (1979) really tried hard to be 2001.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I'm not asking any movie to be 2001 , it's probably my favorite ever.IIRC 2001 actually a lot of money going in , no way a slow and profound movie like this will ever receive cash from any studios.

In fact , even Inception (that tried to be deep and had a somewhat original concept at the very least) still had to fill plenty of pointless chase scenes or action scenes even when it was unnecessary , and they just ok'ed it because it was Nolan and I think even then he had to fight for it.

I used to like mafia movies and stuff like that when I was 16-18 years old, but I'm tired now.Free violence is useless and I don't find it ''awesome'' to see a psychopathic cold-blooded emotionless guy kill everyone on his way (without mentionning the cheesy one-liners that comes with every kill) , and to see all his actions justified in a very easy and cheap way by the writers by making someone kidnap his daughter or whatever.It's becoming a ****ing joke.That's why I'm done with Tarantino.

I don't find it very smart that so many movies continuously give the moral high ground to complete *******s.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 01-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Darth Yoda

I think one just as well can watch Stargate SG-1 to get a feel for the quality of Star Trek.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Honestly, the Next Generation is 7 seasons of 25 episodes each. Between that and the Original Series, you'll be busy for a long time.

If you want to watch them chronologically, watch

1) The Original Series
2) The first 6 movies
3) The Next Generation
4) Deep Space 9/Voyager/The Next Generation Movies (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. Be prepared for the last 2 to be horrible).

Enterprise is a prequel, so you can watch it any time, but why would you do that to yourself?
Do I have to watch the original series to understand what is going on in the next generation?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Loved the remake of BSG -- miniseries and first couple of seasons.

Then they pulled an Abrams and ruined it with contradictory writing, spiritual nonsense, and then it had an absolutely horrible ending.

Blew it completely by the end, seriously.
From undisclosed sources the writers werent at fault tho. After the first season they apparently got an oral agreement or a promise that the series would last atleast 5 or 6 more seasons. Obviously they started to work on a plot for a long series to fulfill their dreams (bit naive maybe). Sadly midway through the 2nd season the cancellation rumours began and they had to start to compromise and summarize their plot.

What we are left with is a compressed story line where things basically started to make no sense and plot holes left wide open. I liked the end scenes though.

Caprica was better.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Do I have to watch the original series to understand what is going on in the next generation?
No. They make soem references but its not like you will be lost because of it.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
The books or the movies?

Closed Thread