HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
  #551
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The 1979 Star Trek was really too slow paced for my liking. And I thought it was boring - they took out anything that would make it interesting to make it G rated. IMO, Star Treks II, III, IV and VI were great movies. IV was a bit dopey, but it was still fun and wrapped up the story arc of II and III. Star Trek V... well... that's what you get when you let a campy actor like William Shatner direct a movie.... heh.

Of the TNG movies, First Contact was a solid movie, but the ones after it were like mediocre TV episodes stretched into 2 hours. I mean, Nemesis, seriously, you're going to clone Captain Picard and the only way his clone even resembles him is that it's bald?
and they kill data but ressurects him in a prototype primitive body... sigh

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
  #552
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
The books or the movies?
Movies.I don't read fiction or very rarely unless it has some deep concept or message behind it.I reserve my reading for informative purposes.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:20 AM
  #553
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,269
vCash: 500
Lord of the Rings were among my favorite books and I loved the movies. And the extended versions of the movies are even better.

I'm going to wait for the movie version of the Hobbit to come out of video. I can't believe they broke a book that is barely 300 pages into 3 movies. Come on.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  #554
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Lord of the Rings were among my favorite books and I loved the movies. And the extended versions of the movies are even better.

I'm going to wait for the movie version of the Hobbit to come out of video. I can't believe they broke a book that is barely 300 pages into 3 movies. Come on.
Doesn't surprise me , almost nobody hate lord of the rings as much as I do.Don't know what I'm missing but I guess it's not my cup of tea.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  #555
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 873
Sci-Fi movies .... how uninteresting.

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:23 AM
  #556
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Sci-Fi movies .... how uninteresting.
get out of this thread and come back in 2 days when this conversation is over

just kidding

so what kind of movies do you like then?

I have a soft spot for absurd comedies and some good thriller , as well as science fiction (though there's few of them that are worth it nowadays , too many special effects and no substance).

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  #557
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The original Star Trek has some episodes written by science fiction authors that are really good and the special effects are not bad taking into consideration it was made in the 60s. Doctor Who and Firefly are my 2 favs. Excluding you guys, there is almost universal agreement among Star Trek fans that (before the reboot came out) The Wrath of Khan is by far the best ST movie and it is. You guys might not believe this, but when I was growing up if you liked sci-fi, fantasy (such as The Lord of the Rings), computers, etc. you were totally considered a misfit/outcast. The Force is truly with us now in these more enlightened times.
I'm one of the strange Star Trek fans who doesn't think 2 or 4 is the best movie. My favorites from best to worst.

1. Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
2. Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek - First Contact
4. Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
6. Star Trek - Generations
7. Star Trek - The Motion Picture (Star Trek I)
8. Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

(gap)

9. Star Trek - Insurrection

(huge gap)

10. Star Trek - Nemesis

I don't consider JJ Abram's movie to be Star Trek, despite the title - it's something completely different.



Yes, I'm a nerd.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
  #558
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Lord of the Rings were among my favorite books and I loved the movies. And the extended versions of the movies are even better.

I'm going to wait for the movie version of the Hobbit to come out of video. I can't believe they broke a book that is barely 300 pages into 3 movies. Come on.
Peter Jackson ruined the movies for me with the romance *****, specially in the two towers. But I guess we are lucky he didnt get all his moronic plans in motion.


Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
  #559
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,842
vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
I have a soft spot for absurd comedies and some good thriller , as well as science fiction (though there's few of them that are worth it nowadays , too many special effects and no substance).
Have you watched some Pedro Almodovar, that sounds like your cup of tea.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
  #560
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm one of the strange Star Trek fans who doesn't think 2 or 4 is the best movie. My favorites from best to worst.

1. Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
2. Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek - First Contact
4. Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
6. Star Trek - Generations
7. Star Trek - The Motion Picture (Star Trek I)
8. Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

(gap)

9. Star Trek - Insurrection

(huge gap)

10. Star Trek - Nemesis

I don't consider JJ Abram's movie to be Star Trek, despite the title - it's something completely different.



Yes, I'm a nerd.
The only thing they did right was the casting. All of them suits the role of the original characters. The rest is ***** and unoriginal.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
  #561
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Have you watched some Pedro Almodovar, that sounds like your cup of tea.
nop , never watched it.Might look into it as I can understand spanish on an extremely basic level , might help me in this regard.

to be honest I'm not that big of a movies/series fan , I do enjoy them , but I'm not a connaisseur or anything like that.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
  #562
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,842
vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
nop , never watched it.Might look into it as I can understand spanish on an extremely basic level , might help me in this regard.

to be honest I'm not that big of a movies/series fan , I do enjoy them , but I'm not a connaisseur or anything like that.
No but Almodovar is some twisted but intelligent ****. If one swings that way you can often both laugh and cry at the same time. I suspect to be able to understand spanish is good, but not a neccessity as far as i know anyway... It takes a little while to get used to not understanding the language but then it's like a dance well taught.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
  #563
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yes, I'm a nerd.
Dude , we didn't have to know you were a deep star trek fan to know that you were a nerd , just have to know you as a hockey historian.Only a nerd could do what we do here.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
  #564
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
No but Almodovar is some twisted but intelligent ****. If one swings that way you can often both laugh and cry at the same time. I suspect to be able to understand spanish is good, but not a neccessity as far as i know anyway...
it'll be extremely easy to learn spanish for me because my first language is french.Very similar.Since learning english was relatively easy I don't see how spanish could scare me.The only differance is that spanish isn't as useful as english in my life but I'm all for learning something new , even if useless.If I would learn spanish I would now have three languages to search the internet , you might think it is a stupid observation but I can tell you how much deeper the knowledge available to you gets when you add a language on your searches.

I would prefer to learn chinese though.This is a project of mine (more long-term but oh well).

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  #565
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Have you watched some Pedro Almodovar, that sounds like your cup of tea.
Almodovar is awesome...drag queens, massive murder-suicide love triangle shootouts and giant nightmare vaginas for the win!

Sturminator is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
  #566
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
get out of this thread and come back in 2 days when this conversation is over

just kidding

so what kind of movies do you like then?

I have a soft spot for absurd comedies and some good thriller , as well as science fiction (though there's few of them that are worth it nowadays , too many special effects and no substance).
Good Will Hunting is my favourite movie. Million Dollar Baby, Reservoir Dogs, American Beauty & Lost in Translation are also favourite of mine. I just can't get into Sci-Fi. I saw Avatar in 3D on the biggest IMAX cinema of the world and couldn't get into it. Star Trek, Star Ward, Lord of the Ring, Matrix ... none of them do the trick (never watched all the sequences of all those 'classics')

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
  #567
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Good Will Hunting is my favourite movie. Million Dollar Baby, Reservoir Dogs, American Beauty & Lost in Translation are also favourite of mine. I just can't get into Sci-Fi. I saw Avatar in 3D on the biggest IMAX cinema of the world and couldn't get into it. Star Trek, Star Ward, Lord of the Ring, Matrix ... none of them do the trick (never watched all the sequences of all those 'classics')
Good Will Hunting is a great movie , I watched it last week for the 3rd or 4th time.Robin William is great in that role , he really does seem like a great psychiatrist.For the record , I didn't like Avatar , Lord of The Ring and Star Wars.Star Wars is horrible , never understood the appeal for this franchise.Star Trek looks good but didn't watch enough to comment.Matrix 1 and 2 was ''okay'' I guess , while Matrix 3 was an abomination.I wouldn't consider the Matrix to be a ''classic'' though , just a decent science fiction movie.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
  #568
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
From undisclosed sources the writers werent at fault tho. After the first season they apparently got an oral agreement or a promise that the series would last atleast 5 or 6 more seasons. Obviously they started to work on a plot for a long series to fulfill their dreams (bit naive maybe). Sadly midway through the 2nd season the cancellation rumours began and they had to start to compromise and summarize their plot.

What we are left with is a compressed story line where things basically started to make no sense and plot holes left wide open. I liked the end scenes though.

Caprica was better.
Weren't they on a minor cable network that people only paid attention to when that show was on? Why would they cancel?

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
  #569
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,526
vCash: 500
Avatar was awesome, especially in 3d. It started slow, but man it got really good.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
  #570
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Weren't they on a minor cable network that people only paid attention to when that show was on? Why would they cancel?
Nah, they were on sci-fi channel in north america I believe and they are owned by Paramount and universal. At the time of BSG they also had Taken written by spielberg and they had non-canceled shows like Ghost hunters, scare tactics, andromeda (until 2005), Doctor who, Stargate atlantis, SG-1, so no, BSG wasnt the only show.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
  #571
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Nah, they were on sci-fi channel in north america I believe and they are owned by Paramount and universal. At the time of BSG they also had Taken written by spielberg and they had non-canceled shows like Ghost hunters, scare tactics, andromeda (until 2005), Doctor who, Stargate atlantis, SG-1, so no, BSG wasnt the only show.
Stargate is the only other one of those shows I've ever heard anyone talk about... (Well, and Doctor Who, but that's an import.)

Nalyd Psycho is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
  #572
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yes, I'm a nerd.
I think we all are. I played Dungeons and Dragons (before the first hardcover books came out, it was invented 20 miles from my hometown) and I consider the ATD much nerdier. I love it, but basically we're studying hockey history for fun. I had never watched a reality show before (please tell me none of you have ever watched Jersey Shore), but my son Sean Patrick wanted to watch The King of the Nerds so I did. I'm very disappointed by today's nerds. They didn't even know how to play the game of kings, Chess. Pathetic.

Hawkman is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
  #573
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Stargate is the only other one of those shows I've ever heard anyone talk about... (Well, and Doctor Who, but that's an import.)
You never heard of andromeda :O

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM
  #574
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
You never heard of andromeda :O
I've never heard anyone talk about it. And for a non-major network, buzz should be the most sought after commodity.

Nalyd Psycho is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
  #575
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,030
vCash: 500
Compared to nerds, I'm cool. But compared to cool people I'm a nerd.

seventieslord is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.