HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well, he kind of had too. If he didn't say Fleury was an idiot it would have been a media circus. It's also not the first time he attacks a native american. I promise you, if Gilmour or Orr ever wouldve celebrated in the same way he wouldn't say a thing about it.
I know it interrupts your Don Cherry is a jingoist jerk rant but Fleury is Canadian.

Or are you seriously trying to play up the fact that he is a literal native american... because his grandmother was?

Cause that is pretty slim pickings right there. To be honest I didn't even remember Fleury was considered a Metis.

Quote:
And the Russian wasnt being an idiot. He a young cocky kid who was happy he scored a goal. If he didn't celebrate Cherry would criticize him for that too like he did with the soviets.
Yeah, a little - overly - happy.

If he did that after scoring the Game 7 OT winner for the Stanley Cup I don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well, he kind of had too. If he didn't say Fleury was an idiot it would have been a media circus. It's also not the first time he attacks a native american. I promise you, if Gilmour or Orr ever wouldve celebrated in the same way he wouldn't say a thing about it.

And the Russian wasnt being an idiot. He a young cocky kid who was happy he scored a goal. If he didn't celebrate Cherry would criticize him for that too like he did with the soviets.
Gilmour and especially Orr never would have celebrated a regular season goal in the same way, so of course Cherry would never say anything.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Your FIRST goal EVER in the NHL. How many times does a hockey player dream of playing in the NHL and scoring a goal there? I did a thousand times at least by his age. His reaction was entirely natural and enthusiastic in a positive, expressive way.

I still remember Wayne Gretzky's first NHL goal celebration more than 30 years later: he raises his leg up high in front of him (no one did that!) then jumped against the glass. It was an original display of emotion, spontaneous, infectious.

I could only find the first part of Wayne's celebration online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2vC5vmwf8

Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I know it interrupts your Don Cherry is a jingoist jerk rant but Fleury is Canadian.

Or are you seriously trying to play up the fact that he is a literal native american... because his grandmother was?

Cause that is pretty slim pickings right there. To be honest I didn't even remember Fleury was considered a Metis.
But I can tell you that Cherry knows that he is Metis.

Quote:
Yeah, a little - overly - happy.

If he did that after scoring the Game 7 OT winner for the Stanley Cup I don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.
So an overly happy young kid deserves to be called an idiot on national tv? People don't have a problem with it. Cherry and his followers has a problem with it.

I remember when Cherry had a problem with the Soviets not celebrating goals. Then they were commie robots who lacked emotion and heart.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Don Cherry is a moron , I dont understand how intelligent people could respect such a clown.

I understand some people probably grew up listening to him so theres almost an emotionnal attachment , but he is hard to defend.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 01-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Regarding hard-nosed play through traffic during the Caps-Sabres game tonight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Laughlin, on Comcast Sportsnet, January 27, 2013
Typical Foligno, plays like his dad did.

The name Foligno means perserverance to those of us who remember Mike.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Hawkman
Muddy Waters

There used to be a thread either here or in the HoH about what pro players you've played against. I was only the #6 dman for my high school, but my dad is from the Livonia/Plymouth area and I played pond hockey against Modano and high school hockey against Mark Johnson. It was very humiliating.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
There used to be a thread either here or in the HoH about what pro players you've played against.
I played golf against Mark Recchi a few times in high school. His friend was a friend of my best friend. We did a few links as a foursome back in the day. After Recchi's 50-goal breakthrough season he came up to me on the street and said hi, and it was I - I! - who didn't immediately recognize him!

Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Your FIRST goal EVER in the NHL. How many times does a hockey player dream of playing in the NHL and scoring a goal there? I did a thousand times at least by his age. His reaction was entirely natural and enthusiastic in a positive, expressive way.

I still remember Wayne Gretzky's first NHL goal celebration more than 30 years later: he raises his leg up high in front of him (no one did that!) then jumped against the glass. It was an original display of emotion, spontaneous, infectious.

I could only find the first part of Wayne's celebration online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2vC5vmwf8
It was his second goal.

I think Cherry is a moron, but agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful. Forcing OT in regular season game 3 of your career doesn't do it for me.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
....agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful.
Yeah, becasue who cares about one's first NHL goal? It's not like players save the puck from their first NHL goal.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Yeah, becasue who cares about one's first NHL goal? It's not like players save the puck from their first NHL goal.
Guess you decided to not read the part of the quote you cut off or something

Old
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Guess you decided to not read the part of the quote you cut off or something

Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
It was his second goal.

I think Cherry is a moron, but agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful. Forcing OT in regular season game 3 of your career doesn't do it for me.
In Edmonton, this is the playoffs. Every game is important specially in shortened season. Only Cherry can make a big deal out of a russian celebrating too much. Reeks of jealousy, biggotry and a senile old fart attitude.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
It wasn't his first goal. I agree that would be very meaningful.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Clowe and Burrows get penalties BEFORE the opening face-off tonight! (Burrows took a swipe at the Sharks center and Clowe stepped in to retaliate.

The play-by--play announcer and color commentator for Comcast can't recall a game ever starting four on four. Can you? (I can't recall.)

Old
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Hawkman
Muddy Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
In Edmonton, this is the playoffs. Every game is important specially in shortened season. Only Cherry can make a big deal out of a russian celebrating too much. Reeks of jealousy, biggotry and a senile old fart attitude.
Agreed. Hawks are 6-0 after beating the Wings and looking good. I'm glad that after Lidstrom retired you and jkrx decided to be Hawks fans for life. It's good to root for good teams.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. Hawks are 6-0 after beating the Wings and looking good. I'm glad that after Lidstrom retired you and jkrx decided to be Hawks fans for life. It's good to root for good teams.
tbh seems hawks are getting out of gas now u should have beaten us big time

Old
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
seventieslord

Jamie Heward beat my dad, my brother and I on a par3 golf course, easily.

I played with Nathan Oystrick (classic AHL/NHL tweener) and Dave Kaczowka, notorious minor pro goon turned Rona employee. Also with Neil Petruic who was a late Habs pick that didn't quite make it.

I think that is the full extent of my competitive brushes with hockey "fame".

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
- I played against Denis Hamel (192 NHL Games, mostly with the Senators). I was surprise when I look it up that he was still playing professional hockey in the AHL, and still putting up more than decent numbers. Great, great wrist shot, it a enjoy to try and save him (I'm a goaltender)
- I also played a little exhibition against Stephane Richer. He was about 42 at the time. By far (far, far away) the best and strongest wrist shot I have ever faced. He was scoring almost at will, and when I was actually making a save, it was hurting bad. I made a glove save against him, not in the pocket but right on the hand. I thought he broke it.

Than a bunch of ECHL-European players. It's always nice playing against those guys. Brings the best of me, trying to prove I belong with those guys (although I don't!).

Old
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Johnny Engine

I interviewed Alexei Ponikarovsky and was in the scrum around Paul Maurice at a preseason game in Halifax. I also hung out at a party with Doug Grant, 70s goaltender for the Wings and Blues. Unsurprisingly, his best stories involved Derek Sanderson.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
markrander87

Played against Crosby, Marchand, Sheppard, Bondarchuk, Andrew Gordon growing up.

At the time there were probably 6-7 better players then Marchand in AAA, he never really seperated himself until Major Midget.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

My friend dated Ryan MacInnis, Al's son. That's about as close as I get.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
My friend dated Ryan MacInnis, Al's son. That's about as close as I get.
That's funny...I dated Al.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
That's funny...I dated Al.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey