HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
  #601
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well, he kind of had too. If he didn't say Fleury was an idiot it would have been a media circus. It's also not the first time he attacks a native american. I promise you, if Gilmour or Orr ever wouldve celebrated in the same way he wouldn't say a thing about it.
I know it interrupts your Don Cherry is a jingoist jerk rant but Fleury is Canadian.

Or are you seriously trying to play up the fact that he is a literal native american... because his grandmother was?

Cause that is pretty slim pickings right there. To be honest I didn't even remember Fleury was considered a Metis.


Quote:
And the Russian wasnt being an idiot. He a young cocky kid who was happy he scored a goal. If he didn't celebrate Cherry would criticize him for that too like he did with the soviets.
Yeah, a little - overly - happy.

If he did that after scoring the Game 7 OT winner for the Stanley Cup I don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
  #602
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well, he kind of had too. If he didn't say Fleury was an idiot it would have been a media circus. It's also not the first time he attacks a native american. I promise you, if Gilmour or Orr ever wouldve celebrated in the same way he wouldn't say a thing about it.

And the Russian wasnt being an idiot. He a young cocky kid who was happy he scored a goal. If he didn't celebrate Cherry would criticize him for that too like he did with the soviets.
Gilmour and especially Orr never would have celebrated a regular season goal in the same way, so of course Cherry would never say anything.

overpass is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  #603
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Your FIRST goal EVER in the NHL. How many times does a hockey player dream of playing in the NHL and scoring a goal there? I did a thousand times at least by his age. His reaction was entirely natural and enthusiastic in a positive, expressive way.

I still remember Wayne Gretzky's first NHL goal celebration more than 30 years later: he raises his leg up high in front of him (no one did that!) then jumped against the glass. It was an original display of emotion, spontaneous, infectious.

I could only find the first part of Wayne's celebration online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2vC5vmwf8

VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  #604
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I know it interrupts your Don Cherry is a jingoist jerk rant but Fleury is Canadian.

Or are you seriously trying to play up the fact that he is a literal native american... because his grandmother was?

Cause that is pretty slim pickings right there. To be honest I didn't even remember Fleury was considered a Metis.
But I can tell you that Cherry knows that he is Metis.

Quote:
Yeah, a little - overly - happy.

If he did that after scoring the Game 7 OT winner for the Stanley Cup I don't think people would have as much of a problem with it.
So an overly happy young kid deserves to be called an idiot on national tv? People don't have a problem with it. Cherry and his followers has a problem with it.

I remember when Cherry had a problem with the Soviets not celebrating goals. Then they were commie robots who lacked emotion and heart.

jkrx is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
  #605
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Don Cherry is a moron , I dont understand how intelligent people could respect such a clown.

I understand some people probably grew up listening to him so theres almost an emotionnal attachment , but he is hard to defend.


Last edited by BenchBrawl: 01-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
  #606
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Regarding hard-nosed play through traffic during the Caps-Sabres game tonight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Laughlin, on Comcast Sportsnet, January 27, 2013
Typical Foligno, plays like his dad did.




The name Foligno means perserverance to those of us who remember Mike.

VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
  #607
Hawkman
Moderator
Muddy Waters
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
There used to be a thread either here or in the HoH about what pro players you've played against. I was only the #6 dman for my high school, but my dad is from the Livonia/Plymouth area and I played pond hockey against Modano and high school hockey against Mark Johnson. It was very humiliating.

Hawkman is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
  #608
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
There used to be a thread either here or in the HoH about what pro players you've played against.
I played golf against Mark Recchi a few times in high school. His friend was a friend of my best friend. We did a few links as a foursome back in the day. After Recchi's 50-goal breakthrough season he came up to me on the street and said hi, and it was I - I! - who didn't immediately recognize him!


VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
  #609
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Your FIRST goal EVER in the NHL. How many times does a hockey player dream of playing in the NHL and scoring a goal there? I did a thousand times at least by his age. His reaction was entirely natural and enthusiastic in a positive, expressive way.

I still remember Wayne Gretzky's first NHL goal celebration more than 30 years later: he raises his leg up high in front of him (no one did that!) then jumped against the glass. It was an original display of emotion, spontaneous, infectious.

I could only find the first part of Wayne's celebration online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2vC5vmwf8
It was his second goal.

I think Cherry is a moron, but agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful. Forcing OT in regular season game 3 of your career doesn't do it for me.

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
  #610
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
....agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful.
Yeah, becasue who cares about one's first NHL goal? It's not like players save the puck from their first NHL goal.

VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
  #611
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Yeah, becasue who cares about one's first NHL goal? It's not like players save the puck from their first NHL goal.
Guess you decided to not read the part of the quote you cut off or something

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
  #612
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Guess you decided to not read the part of the quote you cut off or something

VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
  #613
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
It was his second goal.

I think Cherry is a moron, but agree with him on this one. Save that one for something meaningful. Forcing OT in regular season game 3 of your career doesn't do it for me.
In Edmonton, this is the playoffs. Every game is important specially in shortened season. Only Cherry can make a big deal out of a russian celebrating too much. Reeks of jealousy, biggotry and a senile old fart attitude.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  #614
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
It wasn't his first goal. I agree that would be very meaningful.

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  #615
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Clowe and Burrows get penalties BEFORE the opening face-off tonight! (Burrows took a swipe at the Sharks center and Clowe stepped in to retaliate.



The play-by--play announcer and color commentator for Comcast can't recall a game ever starting four on four. Can you? (I can't recall.)

VanIslander is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
  #616
Hawkman
Moderator
Muddy Waters
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
In Edmonton, this is the playoffs. Every game is important specially in shortened season. Only Cherry can make a big deal out of a russian celebrating too much. Reeks of jealousy, biggotry and a senile old fart attitude.
Agreed. Hawks are 6-0 after beating the Wings and looking good. I'm glad that after Lidstrom retired you and jkrx decided to be Hawks fans for life. It's good to root for good teams.

Hawkman is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 AM
  #617
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. Hawks are 6-0 after beating the Wings and looking good. I'm glad that after Lidstrom retired you and jkrx decided to be Hawks fans for life. It's good to root for good teams.
tbh seems hawks are getting out of gas now u should have beaten us big time

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
  #618
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,101
vCash: 500
Jamie Heward beat my dad, my brother and I on a par3 golf course, easily.

I played with Nathan Oystrick (classic AHL/NHL tweener) and Dave Kaczowka, notorious minor pro goon turned Rona employee. Also with Neil Petruic who was a late Habs pick that didn't quite make it.

I think that is the full extent of my competitive brushes with hockey "fame".

seventieslord is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
  #619
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 873
- I played against Denis Hamel (192 NHL Games, mostly with the Senators). I was surprise when I look it up that he was still playing professional hockey in the AHL, and still putting up more than decent numbers. Great, great wrist shot, it a enjoy to try and save him (I'm a goaltender)
- I also played a little exhibition against Stephane Richer. He was about 42 at the time. By far (far, far away) the best and strongest wrist shot I have ever faced. He was scoring almost at will, and when I was actually making a save, it was hurting bad. I made a glove save against him, not in the pocket but right on the hand. I thought he broke it.

Than a bunch of ECHL-European players. It's always nice playing against those guys. Brings the best of me, trying to prove I belong with those guys (although I don't!).

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
  #620
Johnny Engine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
I interviewed Alexei Ponikarovsky and was in the scrum around Paul Maurice at a preseason game in Halifax. I also hung out at a party with Doug Grant, 70s goaltender for the Wings and Blues. Unsurprisingly, his best stories involved Derek Sanderson.

Johnny Engine is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  #621
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Played against Crosby, Marchand, Sheppard, Bondarchuk, Andrew Gordon growing up.

At the time there were probably 6-7 better players then Marchand in AAA, he never really seperated himself until Major Midget.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
  #622
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
My friend dated Ryan MacInnis, Al's son. That's about as close as I get.

bluesfan94 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  #623
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
My friend dated Ryan MacInnis, Al's son. That's about as close as I get.
That's funny...I dated Al.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
  #624
Velociraptor
Registered User
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
That's funny...I dated Al.

Velociraptor is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
  #625
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
That's funny...I dated Al.
?????

Confused.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.