HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Am I the only one who won't watch the super bowl?
A sell-out crowd SEA OF RED at Verizon Center in Washington is watching the Caps battle the Penguins. It's 2-2 in the 2nd period at the moment, and a minute ago one of the most freakish off-the-glass goals on a dump in happened! (You gotta see the replay later).

Old
02-03-2013, 12:51 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Lousy Caps powerplay, quickly followed by goals by Letang and Malkin makes it 4-2 against. Pull friggin' Holtby.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Lousy Caps powerplay, quickly followed by goals by Letang and Malkin makes it 4-2 against. Pull friggin' Holtby.
Who cares , the caps are dead.I can't believe how much Ovechkin has ruined his career.I mean it was to be expected that a young goal scorer will slow down , but never to that extent.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:06 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Who cares , the caps are dead.I can't believe how much Ovechkin has ruined his career.I mean it was to be expected that a young goal scorer will slow down , but never to that extent.
38 goals last year, 120 goals the last three seasons combined. The dropoff is exaggerated.

You must be talking about the last two weeks?

He was tearing up the KHL with 19 goals in the fall but has started this abbreviated NHL season surprisingly slowly.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
38 goals last year, 120 goals the last three seasons combined. The dropoff is exaggerated.
Considering that at one point he looked like the second coming of Bobby Hull, not really.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:

You must be talking about the last two weeks?

He was tearing up the KHL with 19 goals in the fall but has started this abbreviated NHL season surprisingly slowly.
It seems it's all going downhill , 38 goals isn't bad (though it is for a 9million player and Ovechkin) but he is still very young.What is it going to be once he's 30 years old? A fat , slow , explosionless low-hockey-IQ player that makes 9 millions a year?

Ovechkin's IQ has never gotten better.This is concerning.I've been saying it since both Malkin and Ovechkin were drafted that the Caps made a critical mistake in not drafting that Malkin guy.All the tapes I saw of them as prospect told me Malkin was going to be the better player in the end.Malkin has a very high hockey IQ and that's what it takes to play between 27-37 years old.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Pretty much everytime there is a choice between an explosive winger and a brainy centre for 1st overall, the best long term pick is the centre. And yet, the winger usually goes first.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
It seems it's all going downhill , 38 goals isn't bad (though it is for a 9million player and Ovechkin) but he is still very young.What is it going to be once he's 30 years old? A fat , slow , explosionless low-hockey-IQ player that makes 9 millions a year?

Ovechkin's IQ has never gotten better.This is concerning.I've been saying it since both Malkin and Ovechkin were drafted that the Caps made a critical mistake in not drafting that Malkin guy.All the tapes I saw of them as prospect told me Malkin was going to be the better player in the end.Malkin has a very high hockey IQ and that's what it takes to play between 27-37 years old.
IMO, the Caps draft Ovechkin over Malkin if they have to do it over again without thinking twice.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The Caps draft Ovechkin over Malkin if they have to do it over again without thinking twice.
Agreed. He has revitalized the fan base from day one. Five consecutive 1st team all-star 50+ goal average seasons is a no brainer.

Though whether they would sign him to a 13-year $124 million contract again is another matter.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Johnny Engine

If Ovechkin was literally the second coming of Bobby Hull, that would mean he'd get something on the order of 17 points in 27 games at age 40. Give that Ovechkin will be signed for 9 million at this time, this explains why these long term deals are stupid. It's no slight to Ovechkin to say he won't be worth the money at the end of his contract.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
If Ovechkin was literally the second coming of Bobby Hull, that would mean he'd get something on the order of 17 points in 27 games at age 40. Give that Ovechkin will be signed for 9 million at this time, this explains why these long term deals are stupid. It's no slight to Ovechkin to say he won't be worth the money at the end of his contract.
I said he looked like it, not that he was. Longevity counts.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I said he looked like it, not that he was. Longevity counts.
Well, it's all hypothetical. I guess the point is that everyone wears down eventually.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Well, it's all hypothetical. I guess the point is that everyone wears down eventually.
Which is fine, but he was the top of the big three and he's not in it anymore. The other two still are and no one would have reasonably predicted such a sharp decline (I realize he's still a great player).

Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Count me among those who loved the Bobby Hull comparison for Ovechkin - seemed quite appropriate in both style and quality. Then Ovechkin just hit a wall and never recovered

Old
02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

I just want to say something ,being a Montreal Canadiens fan I have a pretty good knowledge on what a great goalie looks like , and when I'm looking at Carey Price right now everything I see indicates that he is truly the real deal.I'm not saying this out of an emotionnal outburst because of his success this season or because I looked at his statistics (I didn't) , but just watching the games for the last 4 years I think Price deserves his money and some props.

I have never been Price's greatest fan , I don't have a hidden or even not-so-hidden bias in his favor.He isn't my favorite guy on a human level (though I have nothing against him) , but I feel like his mind is at the right place and he truly and deeply wants to see what his maximum talent level could produce and how far he can go in hockey.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

I'll spend the sunday evening watching some Star Treks instead of the football.

Sue me.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Btw did anyone else see the Erskine play? First time I saw it (was watching the game) I thought it was an elbow and thought maybe refs mised it. Then during replay I see the refs standing in a perfect line to see the his from two angles and both somehow missed it?

NHL needs to get refs up to speed ASAP. Its been bad for years now and its not getting any better.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Johnny Engine

I would imagine the strange and esoteric rule changes that happen every single year have to be quite the distraction.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I would imagine the strange and esoteric rule changes that happen every single year have to be quite the distraction.
I would agree if it was anything like that but elbowing has always been elbowing. This is even elbowing to the head, something they've been told to be more aware off.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
IMO, the Caps draft Ovechkin over Malkin if they have to do it over again without thinking twice.
And they would make the same mistake twice in my opinion.Ovechkin's career won't be comparable to Malkin's when all is said and done.We shall see , and maybe even talk about it if we stay on this site for another 10 years.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:27 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Here a berg, there a berg, everywhere a berg, berg.

God Made Me, The Devil Made Me.

What's the difference?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:42 AM
DoMakc

Quote:
Here a berg, there a berg, everywhere a berg, berg.

God Made Me, The Devil Made Me.

What's the difference?
Yeah, in ATD 2011 we had GMs with really creative nicknames like The Sabre, Zamboni Mania etc...

Old
02-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
Yeah, in ATD 2011 we had GMs with really creative nicknames like The Sabre, Zamboni Mania etc...

Old
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
And they would make the same mistake twice in my opinion.Ovechkin's career won't be comparable to Malkin's when all is said and done.We shall see , and maybe even talk about it if we stay on this site for another 10 years.
Oh Malkin will likely have the better career, but the way Ovechkin revitalized that franchise is priceless, and I don't think Malkin would have done the same - it wasn't just the success, it was the style of play and his character.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:38 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Frattin!

Closed Thread