HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Exercising really does nothing for losing weight. You want to lose weight, it's all about diet.

1 hour on a treadmill 3 times per week will only knock off about 5 pounds per year.

1 less can of Coke per day will knock off about 20 pounds per year.
You train to gain muscle mass, if you want to lose weight fast, go with amphetamine or ephedra!

Old
02-17-2013, 12:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Exercising really does nothing for losing weight. You want to lose weight, it's all about diet.

1 hour on a treadmill 3 times per week will only knock off about 5 pounds per year.

I don't work out at all... my weight fluctuations are based entirely on my diet. If I want to lose 14 pounds in a month (like I just did), I just go from eating 2900 calories a day to 1900. I am not magic, the law of conservation of energy applies to me like it does to everyone else!

Old
02-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Welcome to Canada!

Old
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
I remember when I was 20-25 , I would eat like an obese person yet couldn't gain a single pound.Then I took 40 pounds in about a year in a half and I've been at this weight ever since.I think it is the perfect weight for me , maybe 10 pounds over but nothing too bad.

I got lucky with my genetic as far as weight goes.If only I had as much luck as far as back,knees and neck problems goes.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Yes and no. lifting weights and adding muscle to your frame jacks up your metabolism which can help losing weight (Fat). Cardio definitely only helps in terms of burning fat and losing weight. You can eat some crap food once a day long as its small portions.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Yes and no. lifting weights and adding muscle to your frame jacks up your metabolism which can help losing weight (Fat). Cardio definitely only helps in terms of burning fat and losing weight. You can eat some crap food once a day long as its small portions.
Yes, raising metabolism is important - but there's a risk that you just get hungrier and eat more calories.

So it comes back to diet and eating the right foods to satisfy you so you're not either hungry all the time or raising your calorie intake along with your metabolism.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Yes and no. lifting weights and adding muscle to your frame jacks up your metabolism which can help losing weight (Fat).
True. More muscle mass does burn more calories. It's just a lot better to built it naturally instead of "bodybuilding". In order to build muscle quickly, you have to basically inhale calories, which obviously causes you to build fat in the short-term.

Quote:
Cardio definitely only helps in terms of burning fat and losing weight.
Cardio does a lot more for your overall health than it does for your weight. If you're jogging to lose weight, you're an idiot... but if you're jogging to strengthen your cardiovascular system, you're smart

Quote:
You can eat some crap food once a day long as its small portions.
Yeah, you can still lose weight without a perfect diet, but every "bad" food choice you make is weight loss you miss out on.

The biggest problem with high sugar foods is the addictive cycles they cause. If you know anything about blood chemistry, you know how terrible sugar spikes are. Not only do high blood sugar levels cause the building of fat, but it is immediately followed by low blood sugar levels, which causes hunger and sugar cravings.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:03 PM
seventieslord

Liquid calories, basically, are the worst thing for your calorie intake, and therefore, for your weight loss. Cut those out, and it's half the battle.

I agree you can still eat crap. Just make up for bad meals and days, with good ones.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Liquid calories, basically, are the worst thing for your calorie intake, and therefore, for your weight loss. Cut those out, and it's half the battle.

I agree you can still eat crap. Just make up for bad meals and days, with good ones.
I pretty much only drink water and make sure I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables every day, other than that I don't really care what I eat. Just be active and workout, and you don't have to be scared about eating pizza, burgers, pasta etc.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
They aren't really worse, they just add up faster, since people never seem to realize how much they are drinking.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:48 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
They aren't really worse, they just add up faster, since people never seem to realize how much they are drinking.
The fact that they do little to nothing to fill you up is really bad too. (i'm not just referring to booze, but soda, kool-aid, juice, etc) you'll eat just as much as you otherwise would.

Fill up on 100 calories of vegetables and you will barely have room for anything else.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Wrigley
Rust Never Sleeps

vCash: 545
What do you guys think about this OV article?

Quote:
... Let's say this right off the top: Alex Ovechkin has been one of my favorite players ever. Ever. That's going back some, back to the Original Six days of Bobby Hull, who similarly lit up arenas with unstoppable rushes down the ice. But the Alex Ovechkin I watched on Sunday night at Madison Square Garden -- in the Capitals' 2-1 loss to the Rangers -- suffered from something of a power shortage and didn't bear much resemblance to the explosive, creative, entertaining -- and, yes -- joyous winger who terrorized the NHL for the first five seasons of his career. I wish he did.
Now I'll add this qualification: That's an observation from only one game and anyone can have an off night. Still, Ovechkin has had a hell of a lot more off nights this season and in the past two than he did his first five, which even his most ferocious supporters can't deny. After averaging almost 56 goals per season, he's had consecutive campaigns of 32 and 38. This year, he ranks fourth on the Caps in scoring, with five goals and 10 points, and while that's good, it's not Ovie-like. He's only 27, supposedly entering the peak of a professional athlete's career but -- jeez, I hate writing this --- it seems as if he's already peaked.
Yes, yes, I know. He's playing a new position in a new system for a new coach and he's making adjustments. I get that. Adam Oates is a bright guy with a bright future behind NHL benches and he very well could be on to something by moving Ovechkin to right wing. ...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl...=si_topstories

Old
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Reds4Life

Ovie seems to have gotten a bit lazy. He should be in a much better shape, for starters.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Ovie seems to have gotten a bit lazy. He should be in a much better shape, for starters.
Definitely. His game was based around his explosiveness and he doesn't have that first step or strength like he did. He isn't in good enough condition to play his game.

My impression of him is that he still has his passion for playing hockey but he has been enjoying the lifestyle it affords him too much.

(and it is hard to blame him coming from where he did to where he is now, but he needs to focus on hockey if he wants to be as great as he was again)

Old
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Yes, raising metabolism is important - but there's a risk that you just get hungrier and eat more calories.

So it comes back to diet and eating the right foods to satisfy you so you're not either hungry all the time or raising your calorie intake along with your metabolism.
Definitely. Exercise really only helps you keep weight off if you are planning on continuing to exercise after you lose the weight and don't just gorge yourself on twinkies afterwards. Exercise is nice, but if you're not planning on making it a permanent routine, then diet is a much more effective way to lose weight.

I have read studies that show that 100% of the obesity epidemic in America can be traced to diet - basically people were just as lazy in the 1950s as they are today, but they ate better.

Quote:

Quote:
The fact that they do little to nothing to fill you up is really bad too. (i'm not just referring to booze, but soda, kool-aid, juice, etc) you'll eat just as much as you otherwise would.

Fill up on 100 calories of vegetables and you will barely have room for anything else.
Liquid calories are the worse because they don't fill you up. They are also really easy to get rid of. I lost 20 pounds in a month and a half not too long ago without changing my lifestyle much. The key is to figure out what you are willing to give up long term and what you aren't. IMO, the biggest mistake you can make when trying to lose weight is to be too ambitious - if you torture yourself, you'll just give up. What I did (after quite a bit of research on the internet about how you can lose weight while changing your lifestyle the least).

1) Don't ever drink anything other than water (unless it had alcohol in it....that was the one caloric drink I wasn't willing to give up, heh)

2) Only keep healthy foods in the house. When I was out, I could eat whatever I wanted. This was a key - for easy meals, I had to eat healthy. If I craved crap, I was allowed to get it (so no morale loss if I ate crap), but I had to go through effort to get it. Also, it didn't affect going out to dinner with friends. This one is obviously easier if you don't have kids... heh

3) Related to #2, never ever buy foods for the home with high fructose corn syrup or trans fats in them. If I was eating out, I didn't care though.

4) Figure out what unhealthy foods I was willing to give up and what I wasn't. I can live without sour cream on my burrito, so I don't get it. I can't live without cheese on my burrito, so that stays. But just holding the sour cream saves something like 150 calories. Also, I gave up mayo for awhile.

5) This was a NYC specific one, but I would walk 2 subway stops before getting on the train whenever I wasn't in a hurry. I would also take stairs instead of the elevator if it was only a few floors. Nothing that would make me go out of my way to exercise, but a little more here and there.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Well, you are what you eat....

Anyone want to get some mcnuggets?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Lets swtitch topics...who here believes aliens have visited earth and probably still are?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
I don't believe aliens are coming to earth anonymously , but I believe there are intelligent aliens out there in the universe.The universe is very big and in the last few years we realized that we were underestimating the number of planets that are close to the habitable zone in their respective solar system.The technology to spot planets behind all the light of their star is very young and we keep finding more and more of them.

Frankly this is an interesting era , we might even discover alien life before we die ourselves , though I'm not holding my breathe and am not sure whether or not this is good news.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
I don't believe aliens are coming to earth anonymously , but I believe there are intelligent aliens out there.The universe is very big and in the last few years we realized we were underestimating the number of planets that were close to the habitable zone in their respective solar system.The technology to spot planets behind all the light of their star is very young and we keep finding more and more of them.
There are trillions of other solar systems out there, so indeed there would be a huge number of planets in a habitable zone.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Wrigley
Rust Never Sleeps

When the Hawks tie the record tonight against the Canucks, I'm dedicating their victory to you.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
When the Hawks tie the record tonight against the Canucks, I'm dedicating their victory to you.
Coming off two close losses, Vancouver will come out flying tonight with something to prove. Chicago being their most hated rival we could be in for a thriller.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
monster_bertuzzi

No Seabrook, I guarantee you the streak ends tonight.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Edit: Did'nt know exactly what i was talking about, ten-twelve beers to fill the daily need of kalories eh? But still, it's not the beer that are the biggest trouble by consuming it, it's the eating and sometimes the sitting around that is.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-19-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Wrigley
Rust Never Sleeps

Quote:
No Seabrook, I guarantee you the streak ends tonight.
Wrong. They didn't lose in regulation so the streak goes on and they can set the record Friday at home versus the Sharks!

Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Wrong. They didn't lose in regulation so the streak goes on and they can set the record Friday at home versus the Sharks!
Im just happy the Canucks managed a point out of that disaster.

Closed Thread