HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Strange trade. I like Cole the player but he's under contract at 4m for two more years? Hmmmmm ...
I think it's 4,5 m , but not sure.

Frankly I think we won that trade but we'll see.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Yes, it's 4.5M

I think Cole's a more complete player, but he's not playing very well this year. I think Montreal got good value short-term and long-term for him.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Ryder was great for the Bruin against us in the finals in 2011. Thats part of the reason they beat us (other than physical toughness), they actually had gifted scorers in support on the 3rd line.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
markrander87

Does Cory Conacher have any relation to Charlie Conacher?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Does Cory Conacher have any relation to Charlie Conacher?
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...s-surname.html

Quote:
Conacher also gets noticed because of his last name. He is a distant relative to Hockey Hall of Famers Lionel, Charlie and Roy Conacher. They were cousins of his great grandfather.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Delete...VR beat me to it

Old
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

My god, have you guys seen this video?

I think Mad Mike is kind of an idiot, but there is no denying the video evidence - what the hell happened to Alex Ovechkin? The guy was never great defensively, but he used to play with fire and was one of my favorite players in the league. Now, he's a worthless point suck who isn't even that good at that anymore.

As difficult as it is to pull off, I think Washington really needs to look into trading him in the offseason - I think it would be best for both parties.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

I would like to see Red Wings make a trade for Ovechkin. He seems to have lost all his fire. A change of scenery might rekindle it again. But yeah, he's just terrible now. Even when Jagr was at his very worst in Washington, he was never this bad.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
I would like to see Red Wings make a trade for Ovechkin. He seems to have lost all his fire. A change of scenery might rekindle it again. But yeah, he's just terrible now. Even when Jagr was at his very worst in Washington, he was never this bad.
Wow, Ovechkin in Detroit would be an interesting experiement....

And yeah, I think Jagr was something of a worthless point suck in Washington, but at least he was actually putting up points doing it.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
BraveCanadian

detroit does seem to have a knack for getting the best out of pretty much anyone that goes there.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

I think Mad Mike is kind of an idiot, but there is no denying the video evidence - what the hell happened to Alex Ovechkin? The guy was never great defensively, but he used to play with fire and was one of my favorite players in the league. Now, he's a worthless point suck who isn't even that good at that anymore.

As difficult as it is to pull off, I think Washington really needs to look into trading him in the offseason - I think it would be best for both parties.
Wow, can't help but agree with the video evidence.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
monster_bertuzzi

It can't be easy to care when you are guaranteed 100---whatever million Ovechkin is over his career. As if you needed proof - but Ovechkin, luongo, and Dipietro's ridiculous contracts should tell GM's to knock it off with those ****ing deals.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
It can't be easy to care when you are guaranteed 100---whatever million Ovechkin is over his career. As if you needed proof - but Ovechkin, luongo, and Dipietro's ridiculous contracts should tell GM's to knock it off with those ****ing deals.
but what about your legacy , when you have the talent to be one of the all-time great why ruin this great opportunity? what about personal pride?

Some people are spineless.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
overpass

Quote:

That's the problem with giving out long term contracts to guys who play because "they have so much fun out there." If things go wrong and they aren't having fun anymore you are screwed.

Save the long-term deals for guys who play hard because that's the way they were raised.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Wow, Ovechkin in Detroit would be an interesting experiement....

And yeah, I think Jagr was something of a worthless point suck in Washington, but at least he was actually putting up points doing it.
We dont want him!

Old
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
We dont want him!
Honestly, Detroit sounds like the perfect place for Ovechkin. I think he has pretty good chemistry with Datsyuk from international play, and Detroit tends to turn turds into gold.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Milbury also got to comment on DiPietro's waiving, which I found disgraceful. Of course he took the time to take a shot at him for a lack of proper training and talking about what his contacts on Long Island thought without talking about himself.

At least when I watched Roenick talk about Marleau they made an awkward/playful joke about their relationship.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
You can't be from Vancouver or a Canucks fan. Luongo is having a fine season (W-L-OTL 5-1-3 SV% .916 GAA 2.11 SO 2) and if he gets a ring some people might start talking borderline HHoF and this is from me a guy who hates the Caknuckleheads.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The Earth is 10,000 years old, cavemen were chased by dinosaurs, and 21st Century evolution theory states that we are direct descendants of apes.
Sarcasm aside, as unscientific nonsense is repeated enough elsewhere, let's remember the well evidenced facts:

The earth is billions of years old; the more carnivorous dinosaurs would've chased the most evolved mammals: small, pouched marsupials, before the dinos went extinct more than 50 million years ago; and apes descended from a branch of mammals we also broke off of, they arguably evolving less than we did, in terms of basic physiology and intelligence, though - to throw in some theory now: social arrangements and biological health suggest humanity has devolved in recent centuries into dysfunctional, disconnected, cancer-ridden, heart diseased creatures engrossed in tasks entirely at odds with our well being as individuals and progenitors of our species to come.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Sarcasm aside, as unscientific nonsense is repeated enough elsewhere, let's remember the well evidenced facts:

The earth is billions of years old; the more carnivorous dinosaurs would've chased the most evolved mammals: small, pouched marsupials, before the dinos went extinct more than 50 million years ago; and apes descended from a branch of mammals we also broke off of, they arguably evolving less than we did, in terms of basic physiology and intelligence, though - to throw in some theory now: social arrangements and biological health suggest humanity has devolved in recent centuries into dysfunctional, disconnected, cancer-ridden, heart diseased creatures engrossed in tasks entirely at odds with our well being as individuals and progenitors of our species to come.
completely agree , I still ''fantasize'' about living in the woods with around a 30 human beings tribe and taking care of our business helping each other , hunting , defending against stronger animals with our intelligence , building safehouses with what we can find etc...

Sure it's a romantic exageration and our life expectancy would be way shorter , but I can't get rid of that feeling that we would be happier in that way because we were programmed to do just that.

But you do understand this opens a can of worms (particularly in this era) , if some mammals splitted and their evolutions was different , so did humans when they splitted areas.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 02-28-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 10:15 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
completely agree , I still fantasize about living in the woods with around a 30 human beings tribe and taking care of our business helping each other , hunting , defending against stronger animals with our intelligence , building safehouses with what we can find etc...
Psychological studies have shown we are able to keep track of 100-150 relationships in our lives, and this coheres with our ancestral tribal, village-focused past.

I have travelled South East Asia and lived for years in an Asian small town teaching their kids English so that they can go off to the big city and get jobs. I think small town life, village living, is much better than uran life. I can stomach about a week or two at most in a big city, even as lovely cities as Auckland where I spent a month, Vancouver where I was born, and others I've lived or travelled to.

Quote:
Sure it's a romantic exageration and our life expentancy would be way shorter , but I can't get rid of that feeling that we would be happier in that way because we were programmed to do just that , not rush in enormous cities trying to win the race of who's going to win the first million dollar or who's going to finish on top of his class.
With basic hygiene and anti-viral shots, life expectancy is no less in rural areas. In fact, the blue zones of longevity are all coastal or rural communities (the 7th Day Adventist vegetarians of California being the one exception), away from pollution, cars and millions of strangers walking about.

Quote:
you do understand this opens a can of worms (particularly in this era) , if some mammals splitted and their evolutions was different , so did humans when they splitted areas.
Differences in skin color and nose shapes? Homo sapiens is such a young species, we are so closely connected to every other human being in terms of the history of the earth. Anyone who wants to split hairs about differences that arose in the last 20,000 years is really failing to put everything into the context of time and development.

What we might have done or not done to homo erectus and neanderthals as extinct species is another matter. It sure is a big coincidence that we showed up about the same time as both of those species suddenly went extinct.

Last edited by VanIslander: 02-28-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Psychological studies have shown we are able to keep track of 100-150 relationships in our lives, and this coheres with our ancestral tribal, village-focused past.

I have travelled South East Asia and lived for years in an Asian small town teaching their kids English so that they can go off to the big city and get jobs. I think small town life, village living, is much better than uran life. I can stomach about a week or two at most in a big city, even as lovely cities as Auckland where I spent a month, Vancouver where I was born, and others I've lived or travelled to.

With basic hygiene and anti-viral shots, life expectancy is no less in rural areas. In fact, the blue zones of longevity are all coastal or rural communities (the 7th Day Adventist vegetarians of California being the one exception), away from pollution, cars and millions of strangers walking about.
Oh I know , that's not what I meant , I meant really living in the past.

But you're right , I guess since I always lived in a big city I forgot that I could actually just give up everything and move to some calmer and more rural place and start another life.To be frank , I think my subconscious is telling me to do just that , I guess I didn't have the balls to do it yet , but I'm still relatively young.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:29 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The proposed NHL re-alignment will put my four favorite teams in divisions against each other! ARhggghghghgghhh!!!!!!!!

Vancouver and San Jose in the Pacific. vs.

Washington and Philadelphia in the Atlantic. vs. (As long as they each bring their A game against the *** Pens I'll be happy).

One of my other favorite teams (Winnipeg) will no longer play second fiddle to my Caps as they move from the Southeast to the new MidWest and face my Nashville Predators.

Jets in Smashville (Go Preds!); Preds in Winnipeg (Go Jets!). An easy way to reconcile my allegiances to these clubs I both like but aren't among my longtime favs.

Does the proposed NHL re-alignment plans mess up your fav teams rootin' hierarchy?

Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Went out and bought myself a new phone today. It's a Samsung 2. For those of you who are with Samsung was wondering if you could enlighten to me as to what apps I should get for it. I'm into stuff like hockey, baseball, football, politics, news, humour, stuff like that. Also any comments about Samsung vs. IPhone would be welcome.

03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
The proposed NHL re-alignment will put my four favorite teams in divisions against each other! ARhggghghghgghhh!!!!!!!!

Vancouver and San Jose in the Pacific. vs.

Washington and Philadelphia in the Atlantic. vs. (As long as they each bring their A game against the *** Pens I'll be happy).

One of my other favorite teams (Winnipeg) will no longer play second fiddle to my Caps as they move from the Southeast to the new MidWest and face my Nashville Predators.

Jets in Smashville (Go Preds!); Preds in Winnipeg (Go Jets!). An easy way to reconcile my allegiances to these clubs I both like but aren't among my longtime favs.

Does the proposed NHL re-alignment plans mess up your fav teams rootin' hierarchy?
In terms of rivalries, it's fine - keep the Devils with the Rangers and Flyers.

My other rooting interests tend to be Washington and Montreal, but I'm going to have no problems rooting for NJ over Washington now that they're in the same conference.

I hate the uneven Conferences and would love it if Detroit missed the playoffs in the East next year with a point total that would make it in the West because of the uneven conferences they created.

Closed Thread