HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
Grats. I picked up NHL 13 a week ago and two of the starting forwards on the Legends team are arrbez' combo of Gretzky and Kurri. The third forward is Mario and the goalie is Hasek. All the dmen are active players. I bought the Hawks Greatest Moments dvd boxed set, but except for one disc all of the games are less than twenty years old so I don't recommend it for any serious student of Hawks history. Although I go to AHL games, I'm already missing the the NHL so much I did a sad and pathetic mock draft in my 8 team fantasy hockey league.

1. Daniel Sedin (Van - LW)
2. John Tavares (NYI - C)
3. Tyler Seguin (Bos - C,RW)
4. Erik Karlsson (Ott - D)
5. Mike Smith (Pho - G)
6. Nicklas Backstrom (Was - C)
7. Braden Holtby (Was - G)
8. Marian Hossa (Chi - RW)
9. Evander Kane (Wpg - LW)
10. Ryan Suter (Min - D)
11. Mike Green (Was - D)
12. Christian Ehrhoff (Buf - D)
13. Dustin Brown (LA - LW,RW)
14. Brad Marchand (Bos - C,LW)
15. Drew Stafford (Buf - RW)
16. Brian Elliott (StL - G)

Old
09-20-2012, 10:32 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
KHL streams can be found here: http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/ice-hock...deo/316--.html
I've watched a couple, I've enjoyed the hockey. Players get to dangle a lot more than in the NHL
I just finished watching a fantastic game between Salavat Yulaev and the Paul Maurice coached Metallurg Magnitogorsk that ended 4-3 in OT for Salavat. Mettallurg had tied it up late in regulation when Evgeny Malkin passed to a Canadian (Hodgman) who passed to Enver Lisin for the tying tally, only to see the winner come on a breakaway in overtime.

The KHL game was exciting, full of fast skating, great passing and nice pace. But the game lacked the hits, physicality, defensive prowess and goaltending of the NHL. I felt like I was watching an offensive drill on a larger ice surface, though the intensity was there.

Sergei Gonchar and Oleg Tverdovsky were electric for Metallurg, though the opposition's forecheck stole a lot of pucks without much contact: too many turnovers, but some impressive rushes otherwise!

Alexander Svitov looked good for the winning team, though OT hero Sergei Zinovjev outhustled everyone at least three times, including the last play to seal the victory.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Hawkman

If we drafted NHL teams in the ATD instead of players, who would you take? Would you take a non-SC winner? Maybe you think the best team didn't win one year. If SC winners were ineligible, who would you take?

Off topic: Although Melky Carera is 1 AB short of the requirement, he will win the NL batting title by rule unless the Commish intervenes.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
If SC winners were ineligible, who would you take?
70-71 Bruins
85-86 Oilers
95-96 Red Wings
10-11 Canucks

1910 Renfrew Creamery Kings

Old
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
70-71 Bruins
85-86 Oilers
95-96 Red Wings
10-11 Canucks

1910 Renfrew Creamery Kings
Nice choices. Thanks for posting. On paper I'm sure that the 09/10 Canucks were better than us, but we're keeping the Cup.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:28 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I got to thinkin'... If the owners are the Ranch and the players are cattle, that'd make Bettman a cowboy.

So I asked and poster tmanv delivered via photoshop:

Old
09-23-2012, 12:48 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I got to thinkin'... If the owners are the Ranch and the players are cattle, that'd make Bettman a cowboy.

So I asked and poster tmanv delivered via photoshop:

Awesome

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Dreakmur

Anybody else hoping that the KHL gets really brave and tries to throw together a north american division this season?

This is probably their only chance to actually take a run at the NHL, and while the window is small, there is tremendous opportunity.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Anybody else hoping that the KHL gets really brave and tries to throw together a north american division this season?

This is probably their only chance to actually take a run at the NHL, and while the window is small, there is tremendous opportunity.
Other than spite, I can't think of a reason to want that.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Other than spite, I can't think of a reason to want that.
The NHL has been one of the most poorly run leagues I have ever seen. They deserve to die, but with no competition, it hasn't happened. With the door now wide open for a competitor to walk in, I'm hoping one does, and hopfully, the NHL either smartens up or dies.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:16 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Poorly run or not, the death of the NHL would be an overwhelmingly negative event for hockey fans across the board. There is no way that the KHL could fill that large of a hole in the cultural fabric of the sport.

I guess it would force the NHL to be a little more considerate in some areas of its operations, but overall it would be like another WHA in terms of having an ambivalent long term impact.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Poorly run or not, the death of the NHL would be an overwhelmingly negative event for hockey fans across the board. There is no way that the KHL could fill that large of a hole in the cultural fabric of the sport.

I guess it would force the NHL to be a little more considerate in some areas of its operations, but overall it would be like another WHA in terms of having an ambivalent long term impact.
If hockey fans like the NHL because of the current owners, the current team names, or the current jersey logos, then that will be a huge loss.

If they like the NHL because of the players or because of the game in general, it's no loss.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
seventieslord

who wins?

Quinn

Hawerchuk Dionne Gartner
Goulet Oates Bure
Karyia Ratelle Nash
Propp Roenick Ciccarelli

Howell Wilson
Housley Carlyle
Weber Suter

Vanbiesbrouck
Hextall

Spares
Lafontaine, Vaive, Clark, Karlsson

VS

Neilson

D.Bentley – Thornton – Iginla
Ovechkin – Stastny – Gilbert
Ramsay – Ullman – Middleton
Kovalchuk – Lindros – Neely

Park – Howe
Gadsby – Quackenbush
Salming – White

Worters
Joseph

Spares: Perreault, Naslund, Stapleton, Mohns

Last edited by seventieslord: 09-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 06:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
If hockey fans like the NHL because of the current owners, the current team names, or the current jersey logos, then that will be a huge loss.
I'd say that list rather heavily oversimplifies the NHL's role in both hockey and general culture.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
I'd say that list rather heavily oversimplifies the NHL's role in both hockey and general culture.
what about the players starting a new league run by them? the wealthiest ones would start by providing the biggest influx of cash.

Dreak is at least right that the players are the draw, so fans would watch, and they'd likely pay close to as much too.

as long as there are enough arenas that aren't currently owned by NHL owners or have exclusivity agreements (and as long as this isn't illegal from a collective bargaining standpoint), why not?

Old
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
who wins?

Bowman

Hawerchuk Dionne Gartner
Goulet Oates Bure
Karyia Ratelle Nash
Propp Roenick Ciccarelli

Howell Wilson
Housley Carlyle
Weber Suter

Vanbiesbrouck
Hextall

Quinn

Spares
Lafontaine, Vaive, Clark, Karlsson

VS

Neilson

D.Bentley Thornton Iginla
Ovechkin Stastny Gilbert
Ramsay Ullman Middleton
Kovalchuk Lindros Neely

Park Howe
Gadsby Quackenbush
Salming White

Worters
Joseph

Spares: Perreault, Naslund, Stapleton, Mohns
I think Team 2 is the clear winner. Much better blueline and better goaltending, as well. Talent up front is close, but I think Team 2's is better put together. Team 1's first line is kind of soft, and I don't see Oates and Bure having chemistry. Bowman is a huge advantage over Roger Nielson, but I don't really see Team 1 as a Bowman team - too many one-way forwards.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:37 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think Team 2 is the clear winner. Much better blueline and better goaltending, as well. Talent up front is close, but I think Team 2's is better put together. Team 1's first line is kind of soft, and I don't see Oates and Bure having chemistry. Bowman is a huge advantage over Roger Nielson, but I don't really see Team 1 as a Bowman team - too many one-way forwards.
the five best defensemen in the draft are on team 2, agree?

also, not sure that talent is close up front, if you were to add up the top-10 or top-20 finishes I think team 2 would still run away with it. Totally eyeballing it, it appears to be 53-35 in top-10s in favour of team Neilson, without counting spares.

...oh, crap, I didn't mean Bowman, I meant Quinn... I'll edit that.

This draft had a theme, can you tell what it was?

looking up and down, only Quinn and Dionne are clear advantages for team 1. Oates/Stastny, Kariya/Ramsay, and Kovalchuk/Propp are close.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
This draft had a theme, can you tell what it was?
0 Cups?

Old
09-25-2012, 08:44 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
what about the players starting a new league run by them? the wealthiest ones would start by providing the biggest influx of cash.
I can't imagine how that would work in practice. Do they write their own paychecks?

Quote:
Dreak is at least right that the players are the draw,
Players are part of it, but so is branding, prestige, arenas, corporate connections, and flat-out history. Montreal Canadiens fans are not going to become Montreal Monkeys fans overnight, just because some good players are on that team.

To make the point as simple as possible -- there isn't room for the WHA in 2012.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Easily Team 2, and I agree with Dreakmur, theme is guys that never won the Cup

Old
09-25-2012, 10:20 PM
seventieslord

I love the Ramsay-Ullman-Middleton line. Only Ramsay is a classic shutdown player of course, but as far as players with the upside to play in a two team draft of players who never won the cup go, I'm not sure you could build a better two-way third line.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Hawkman

If I can't watch the NHL, I'll just have to root for Jay-Z and Beyonce's Brooklyn Nets. Check out their new cheerleader uniforms:

Old
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I can't imagine how that would work in practice. Do they write their own paychecks?

Players are part of it, but so is branding, prestige, arenas, corporate connections, and flat-out history. Montreal Canadiens fans are not going to become Montreal Monkeys fans overnight, just because some good players are on that team.

To make the point as simple as possible -- there isn't room for the WHA in 2012.
I agree that no league could come in like the WHA did, and try to compete with the NHL on equal ground. Having said that, the NHL locking out the players (again), and shutting down the league (again) has opened the door and given any would-be competitiot a huge advantage.

If the KHL ever wanted to take a run at the NHL, this is probably their best chance. Not only do they get to take a run at a starving market, they get to take all the best players in the world.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
If I can't watch the NHL, I'll just have to root for Jay-Z and Beyonce's Brooklyn Nets. Check out their new cheerleader uniforms:

The Nets' brought in a good marketing team for the move to Brooklyn, that's for sure.

Old
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree that no league could come in like the WHA did, and try to compete with the NHL on equal ground. Having said that, the NHL locking out the players (again), and shutting down the league (again) has opened the door and given any would-be competitiot a huge advantage.
I'm not sure that the current situation adds up to a competitive advantage. They'd still be playing in second-rate arenas, getting second-rate media exposure, starting their brands from scratch (or worse, really, considering the foreign origin of the league), and it's not clear that they're cash-flush enough to handle NHL salary standards. Basically the same set of problems that killed the WHA completely in less than a decade.

Quote:
Not only do they get to take a run at a starving market, they get to take all the best players in the world.
I could be wrong, but I don't think NHL contracts work that way. IIHF transfer agreements are structured to handle international movement; the minute the KHL locates on North American soil, they are within NHL territory and I'm pretty sure that players' existing contracts would be enforceable against defection.

It would be a suicide mission to say the least. The KHL has nothing to gain by picking that kind of fight; they're better off positioning themselves as the NHL of Europe, and taking this opportunity to sell non-Russian players on the possibility of staying in the KHL for the long term.

Closed Thread