HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If there is a Lockout

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the potential of a lockout?
Hate it: But will be back 100% no matter what. 35 59.32%
Hate it: Will be back but not as much. I'll be more likely to skip games if other things come up. 16 27.12%
Ok with it: The NHL and NHLPA need to fix things so they can make a longer lasting CBA. 4 6.78%
Ok with it: I'd rather have a shorter season anyways. 2 3.39%
Other [Please specify in comments.] 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 500
If there is a Lockout

Just trying to gage the opinion of folks on here regarding a lockout that causes either a loss of games or an entire season.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 966
I will probably put more effort into my schoolwork.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread, I'd say everyone here will be pissed off, disappointed at the least.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

I hate it and I'm mad but not as much as I was before.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:52 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
I will probably put more effort into my schoolwork.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in this thread, I'd say everyone here will be pissed off, disappointed at the least.
I'm not looking for blame at the owners or players I'm looking for how folks view the NHL in general. Will they be done with it all-together and get their hockey fix elsewhere, will they not care, will they think it is good if it leads to a CBA that lasts for 10 years so we don't have to keep doing this as often, etc...I think anyone that comes to this point is not happy with with a stoppage...but some might believe it is best in the long run if certain issues are resolved.

Old
09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Personally, I'm ok with it because I believe both parties are at fault and both parties have some things right. I want some mechanism in place for the league to either contract or relocate teams that are failing. I would also like to see some sort of agreement on when the the sides start negotiating to prevent this **** from happening every time a CBA expires. I don't think the players or the owners should keep paying money to prop up teams that can't make a profit. Maybe something along the lines of the fact that the players go down to a 50% split with the owners on revenue coupled with increased revenue sharing by the owners; however, if a team takes money from the league for 3 or 5 years in a row (via revenue sharing) they are forced to be sold or relocated. You could throw a caveat in there that a rebuilding teams can decline the revenue sharing if they feel they are on the right path.

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 09-15-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Grammer...geesh that was horrible the first time.
Old
09-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Foppa2118

Obviously hockey fans that take time to post on a message board will be back. It's the casual fans, or those just getting into it after watching LA in the stanley cup, or that got into it after watching the winter classic for the first time that may lose interest.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 09-15-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 24000
My thoughts, as posted in the "rate your depression/anger" thread in the polls section:

Angry? I am angry.
I'm angry that the sport I've put years of my life into is being taken away because of money.
I'm angry that the team I've watched grow over the past three years is going to be robbed of a crucial stage in its development because of money.
I'm angry that the people responsible for hockey and ensuring it is played consider it acceptable to not play because of money.
I'm angry that I, as a fan, have been taken for granted by people arguing over money.
I'm angry that I can't do anything about it, because money is more important than me.
I'm angry that a sport and a league which already is fighting a losing popularity battle against other sports in its own country will now suffer worldwide too, because of money.
I'm angry that the League as it is now is apparently making record profits, popularity is increasing all the time and now, it will just stop, because of money.
I'm angry that the people responsible for hockey being played would rather look after their own interests (money) than that of the game.
I'm angry that those people deem it more important to not show weakness than it is to play hockey.
I'm angry at every player on twitter who has used the #theplayers hashtag and is bleating about unfair conditions, negotiations etc. when they are not only paid exorbitant sums of money during a recession to play a game, to devote their lives to it, and even THEY are more concerned about money than the game.

And I am beyond angry that a lockout is both an acceptable thing to happen for anyone involved, particularly when it has happened before, so soon. After the last lockout (indeed, after the first) it should have been ensured that nothing like it could ever happen again. But it wasn't. And I think that above all else is what makes me angry.

And I am depressed at the thought of wearing my new Avalanche jersey at some point, being asked by people what it is and then asking if they're any good, only to have to tell them that they're not playing currently even though the should be when the lowest paid players are paid a salary that exceeds the American national average by at least fifteen times (I have no idea what it is but I'd imagine less than $25k).

Completely regardless of all this however, I will watch as many Avs games as I ever did before when they come back.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Obvisouly hockey fans that take time to post on a message board will be back. It's the casual fans, or those just getting into it after watching LA in the stanley cup, or that got into it after watching the winter classic for the first time that may lose interest.
I agree...but still I believe die-hard hockey fans (and I like to consider myself one) are getting fed up with the constant strife involved in the NHL CBA process. This is a turn off to me and to be honest, I will be back in a diminished capacity as a fan if this thing causes games to be lost in October. I'll have CCHA, Junior A, high school, and pee-wee games that don't cost near as much money to follow and quite frankly offer near as much entertainment as the NHL to attend (they don't have the amazing talent but they do have kids giving their all day in and day out and they don't seem to be disgruntled with their bosses about doing so.)

Old
09-15-2012, 06:13 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
My thoughts, as posted in the "rate your depression/anger" thread in the polls section:

Angry? I am angry.
I'm angry that the sport I've put years of my life into is being taken away because of money.
I'm angry that the team I've watched grow over the past three years is going to be robbed of a crucial stage in its development because of money.
I'm angry that the people responsible for hockey and ensuring it is played consider it acceptable to not play because of money.
I'm angry that I, as a fan, have been taken for granted by people arguing over money.
I'm angry that I can't do anything about it, because money is more important than me.
I'm angry that a sport and a league which already is fighting a losing popularity battle against other sports in its own country will now suffer worldwide too, because of money.
I'm angry that the League as it is now is apparently making record profits, popularity is increasing all the time and now, it will just stop, because of money.
I'm angry that the people responsible for hockey being played would rather look after their own interests (money) than that of the game.
I'm angry that those people deem it more important to not show weakness than it is to play hockey.
I'm angry at every player on twitter who has used the #theplayers hashtag and is bleating about unfair conditions, negotiations etc. when they are not only paid exorbitant sums of money during a recession to play a game, to devote their lives to it, and even THEY are more concerned about money than the game.

And I am beyond angry that a lockout is both an acceptable thing to happen for anyone involved, particularly when it has happened before, so soon. After the last lockout (indeed, after the first) it should have been ensured that nothing like it could ever happen again. But it wasn't. And I think that above all else is what makes me angry.

And I am depressed at the thought of wearing my new Avalanche jersey at some point, being asked by people what it is and then asking if they're any good, only to have to tell them that they're not playing currently even though the should be when the lowest paid players are paid a salary that exceeds the American national average by at least fifteen times (I have no idea what it is but I'd imagine less than $25k).

Completely regardless of all this however, I will watch as many Avs games as I ever did before when they come back.
It's almost enough to make the fans want to unionize as well so we can be part of the CBA process, no?

[As stupid as the idea seems, it might not be impossible. We've got the US government, with all of the problems the USA is facing calling hearings where baseball players, bicyclists, agents, friends or whoever come before them and talk about who did what and who knew what when...It's kinda crazy that the government gets involved in sports at all but since they've opened that door maybe they might be open to the idea that fans should be able to unionize and have a voice in the conversation since fans are the ultimate end user and purchaser of the goods in question....I realize we are talking about free-trade here and our voice is supposedly at the ticket booth, but if the government thinks it has to step in to weigh in on any sport in any fashion, the fans should have a voice in the matter. Especially in a sport that crosses international lines and one in which players in one country are asking the government to help out as is the case in some provinces in Canada.

It's really stupid this has gone this far though. I never had much respect for the owners in the past because they really have done nothing other than blame the players for the NHL's woes but the players themselves have seen an unprecedented growth in their wages during a poor economic situation and want to protect that at the cost of alienating their fans.

Not a fan of either side here.]

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 09-15-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Expanded my reasoning for a what is probably a stupid statement.
Old
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Went back 100% to the NHL after the previous lockout. Even though they missed an entire season.

Went back 100% to the NFL after their labour issues last summer. They didn't miss any games though so it was different than the NHL.

Went back 100% to the NBA after their lockout that caused them to miss 16 games last season.

So I really hate it but will be back 100% no matter what.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
It's almost enough to make the fans want to unionize as well so we can be part of the CBA process, no?
I think it's patently obvious that unless everyone who puts money into the NHL in any way stops instantly, nothing like that will happen. If there was any serious threat of fan action because of a lockout then the prospect of one would have been taken off the table long ago.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
I like hockey more than I hate greedy ****s.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I think it's patently obvious that unless everyone who puts money into the NHL in any way stops instantly, nothing like that will happen. If there was any serious threat of fan action because of a lockout then the prospect of one would have been taken off the table long ago.
I just went through the process of expanding on my off-the-cuff comment before you responded. I fully recognize my comment is stupid and shouldn't be taken seriously...however, with all the problems facing my nation, I wouldn't be surprised to see this come up on the national level in the near future. If I know one thing, it is the government will take up any cause if it will buy them a vote and keep folks looking at some problem that is stupid rather than taking a closer look at what is really troubling on a national or global level.

I really don't want this to become a political topic that has to be moved though, so I'm done posting on this aspect of the thread.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

I don't know anything about US politics so I can't really comment on that, though given hockey's the 4th biggest sport there and nowhere near as socially important as handegg, baseball or basketball (on the whole, so far as I know) I can't see there being enough pressure for them to take it seriously.

As for fan pressure... the more I think about it, the less I good I can see coming of it. That no lockout petition, what's that going to achieve? It's not securing any action. It's not doing anything meaningful to get the heads out of *****, and even if you got 100,000,000 signatures on it, what would it do? Those people say they don't want a lockout, nobody wants it. Having names on a list saying that wouldn't do anything.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I'm not looking for blame at the owners or players I'm looking for how folks view the NHL in general. Will they be done with it all-together and get their hockey fix elsewhere, will they not care, will they think it is good if it leads to a CBA that lasts for 10 years so we don't have to keep doing this as often, etc...I think anyone that comes to this point is not happy with with a stoppage...but some might believe it is best in the long run if certain issues are resolved.
why was this not an option?

mustela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolive View Post
why was this not an option?
Because I was stupid. I did put the "other" option in there as well as the Will be back but not as much. I'll be more likely to skip games if other things come up. option...

I really didn't expect anyone posting or lurking on this page to wash their hands completely of the the NHL..I could be wrong but if you put enough effort in to checking this page out I pretty much consider you a die-hard fan that will fall in to one of the other categories or will chime in on the other block.

I didn't set out to alienate you or your position, so please vote "other" and make your case in the comments.

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 09-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old
09-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
Are the Avs one of the teams that claim to have lost money?

I'd hate to see them (continue to) have bad seasons and be considered for relocation.

THAT would put a damper on my NHL viewing.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
The financial component of the NHL has been broken for a long time. I'm cool with them taking the time to fix it. The cap is ok but the way the cap is run is awful. The fact that you can't eat a salary in a trade is awful. The long term BS contracts are awful. So many things need to be fixed.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
As I just posted in another thread....

I was really looking forward to NHL.....I just moved from the UK to Canada for more hockey for Gods sake and now there's a lockout!!
Until the last hour when I realised there will most definitely be a lockout I always held out hope! I always said no matter what I'd watch hockey after the lockout!

But now I'm so incredibly pissed off that I don't think I would! Unless there's some sort of stability or long term CBA I don't think I could be bothered going through this ever 5 years or so! Maybe it's just because I'm incredibly annoyed at the whole situation but right now but I have no intention of ever watching NHL any time in the near future!

Although sadly....I love hockey so much that I know rightly I'll come running back with my tail between my legs when it's back on! =/

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Are the Avs one of the teams that claim to have lost money?

I'd hate to see them (continue to) have bad seasons and be considered for relocation.

THAT would put a damper on my NHL viewing.
Avs are one of the 12 teams that claimed a profit last season. Avs have actually been making $5-6M a year like clockwork.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:04 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Everything containing our players has been removed from the home page (replaced with Sakic etc):

http://avalanche.nhl.com/index.html

Last edited by BoxOfChocolates: 09-16-2012 at 12:44 AM.
BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:09 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Everything containing our players has been removed form the home page (replaced with Sakic etc):

http://avalanche.nhl.com/index.html
Holy crap! Did every team do this or was it just us?

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like hockey more than I hate greedy ****s.
Pretty much this.

I'll be back because I want to see the highest level hockey available to watch

Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:30 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

all I'm going to say is this. Right now is my absolute favorite time of the year. It's not hot as hell, it's not cold as hell, Oktoberfest is coming up, the three best holidays of the year are coming up, football has started, women wear yoga pants full-time, and each year I celebrate by just sitting on my balcony, having a drink and a smoke and watching grainy internet feeds of training camp and pre-season games. It's the best feeling in the world watching professional hockey again after three months of going without, of getting unrealistically excited about your team's prospects. Pre-season games between the Leafs and the Islanders are as good as watching the Cup all over again when it's been this long. It's the greatest thing in the world and they have taken it from me and it infuriates me to no end. It is...such an excellent circus...and I enjoy it so much.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:28 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
all I'm going to say is this. Right now is my absolute favorite time of the year. It's not hot as hell, it's not cold as hell, Oktoberfest is coming up, the three best holidays of the year are coming up, football has started, women wear yoga pants full-time, and each year I celebrate by just sitting on my balcony, having a drink and a smoke and watching grainy internet feeds of training camp and pre-season games. It's the best feeling in the world watching professional hockey again after three months of going without, of getting unrealistically excited about your team's prospects. Pre-season games between the Leafs and the Islanders are as good as watching the Cup all over again when it's been this long. It's the greatest thing in the world and they have taken it from me and it infuriates me to no end. It is...such an excellent circus...and I enjoy it so much.
Awesome post WoG.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote