HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Midseason Media/Scout Poll - OHL Top 10 for 2014

Old
03-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Brock

vCash: 500
Midseason Media/Scout Poll - OHL Top 10 for 2014

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...-for-2014.html

A collection of 19 of the OHL's top minds votes on the top 10 players eligible for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

10. Nikolai Goldobin
9. Robby Fabbri
8. Roland McKeown
7. Josh Ho-Sang
6. Jared McCann
5. Brendan Perlini
4. Nick Ritchie
3. Michael Dal Colle
2. Sam Bennett
1. Aaron Ekblad

Check the link for all the comments/reports, as well as the honorable mentions.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:59 AM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
Mangiapane ? I have heard from some people that they like him as a sleeper pick, but one scout has him at 10 from the OHL, which probably means late 1st- early second. Definitely did not see that coming. What can you tell me about him and where do you think he will go?

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Great write-up, Brock.

The comments on Bennett and McKeown sound pretty accurate. The one comment questioning McKeown's ultimate offensive upside mirror a question I wondered after not seeing a huge improvement in his offensive game this season.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
Mangiapane ? I have heard from some people that they like him as a sleeper pick, but one scout has him at 10 from the OHL, which probably means late 1st- early second. Definitely did not see that coming. What can you tell me about him and where do you think he will go?
I could see him going 2nd round. He's someone I will have no problem ranking higher over more mainstream players before the draft.

His offensive ability may be questioned with AA driving his line, but he is a phenomenal complimentary player currently. He's quick, gritty, and has the tools to play with more offensive players.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...-for-2014.html

A collection of 19 of the OHL's top minds votes on the top 10 players eligible for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

10. Nikolai Goldobin
9. Robby Fabbri
8. Roland McKeown
7. Josh Ho-Sang
6. Jared McCann
5. Brendan Perlini
4. Nick Ritchie
3. Michael Dal Colle
2. Sam Bennett
1. Aaron Ekblad

Check the link for all the comments/reports, as well as the honorable mentions.
Fantastic article. Draft day cannot come soon enough.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
caley

Always informative and interesting stuff.

Was shocked one scout had Ho-Sang outside the Top 10!

03-18-2014, 01:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Boy has Ho-Sang had a yo-yo like trending pattern on draft status. His hype chart looks like a roller coaster. Two years ago he was the next big thing, then he takes a huge hit, now he's climbing right back up.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Great write-up, Brock.

The comments on Bennett and McKeown sound pretty accurate. The one comment questioning McKeown's ultimate offensive upside mirror a question I wondered after not seeing a huge improvement in his offensive game this season.
Have you done a turnaround on McKeown? You went back and forth with me and a couple of others who weren't smitten earlier in the year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:36 PM
BerSTUzzi

As good as always Brock. I was looking forward to this write-up for awhile. It's amazing how much closer the opinions on Ritchie vs MDC are, from the outside it sure looked like MDC was viewed as a fair bit better prospect.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Have you done a turnaround on McKeown? You went back and forth with me and a couple of others who weren't smitten earlier in the year.
No, I still think he's got first round potential (20 to 30 range) because of his tools (great skater, good puck mover, crisp outlet passer, hard shot). And I still think he's more solid in the defensive zone than he is given credit for.*

The area I'm just questioning a bit based on watching him over the course of this full second season, is his ultimate offensive potential. After his rookie year, I was expecting a bit more of a dynamic offensive game. Instead, he simply looks "solid" offensively. Kind of like the difference offensively between a PK Subban-type dynamic offensive game and a Matt Niskanen-type solid, but unspectacular offensive game.

*Keep in mind I'm not saying he's a stud defensively, just that I don't think he's as flawed as some do.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 05:53 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
I feel like I should preface this response by saying that not every person I poll for this is a scout. There are also respected and veteran OHL media members.

I don't think there will be too many people who have Mangiapane that high come draft day. For me, he's a mid round pick candidate. Not the biggest guy and I don't think he has as much skill as some of the other smaller guys getting more attention (like Fabbri).

Mangiapane is a terrific skater and he works hard at both ends. He's got a pretty good shot too, something that will only get better as he gets older. In terms of natural skill with the puck, creativity, vision, etc, I think that's all around the 'average' level. He reminds me a lot of former Colt Colin Behenna, who now plays in the CIS. I think he's more likely to develop into an undersized junior scorer, than a serious NHL prospect, but that's just me.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Great job on this Brock, as always.

Tough Top 10 to crack and tough to argue with the top 10 you've aggregated here - I'd have some minor flip flops here and there. Eric Cornel would also receive some consideration, but might just find himself in my 11th slot.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Again, a lot of talent coming from the O. Impressive.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote