HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Old
03-29-2013, 01:13 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Seattle would demand alot in return. Barzal is worth alot and T-Birds would make a team pay.... but Seattle won't trade him though!! Barzal is apparently making up his mind and letting Seattle know his plans before the WHL draft at the start of May. Here's an interview he just did.....

http://mynorthwest.com/745/2237903/A...-Mathew-Barzal
Thunderbirds are a decent team that are on the verge of rising the next couple of years, to me there is no reason why he wouldn't want to sign with them (example: Pulling a MacKinnon) except if he is seriously going to join the NCAA.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Thunderbirds are a decent team that are on the verge of rising the next couple of years, to me there is no reason why he wouldn't want to sign with them (example: Pulling a MacKinnon) except if he is seriously going to join the NCAA.
Exactly... Barzal wont demand a trade or anything from Seattle. If he decides to not play WHL, it is because he wants to play NCAA, not because he doesnt want to play in Seattle. Seattle will still hold his rights if he goes NCAA route because in a couple years he will be an extremely high NHL pick and there is a chance once he is drafted, if he doesn't play NHL the following season after his draft, he could go play a year of Major Junior to prepare him better for professional hockey. So that means he would have to come join Seattle. But all of this aside, I am really confident he will be signing in Seattle very shortly.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Passchendaele

I REALLY doubt Barzal will be taking the NCAA route.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
I REALLY doubt Barzal will be taking the NCAA route.
I wonder what you said about Toews.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Lehner

nvm..

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Look at the interview with Seattles other 1st round pick in 2012(Keegan Kolesar). Him and Barzal were both 1st rounders in that year for Seattle... such a difference in the drive to wanna play for whoever drafts him... love it

http://mynorthwest.com/745/2239231/C...Keegan-Kolesar

Old
03-30-2013, 12:42 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Look at the interview with Seattles other 1st round pick in 2012(Keegan Kolesar). Him and Barzal were both 1st rounders in that year for Seattle... such a difference in the drive to wanna play for whoever drafts him... love it

You seem to be closely affiliated with the Seattle organization, so I'd suggest taking a look in the mirror and realizing there's a reason why Barzal and his family are doing their due diligence.
It's not just about who else reports and how the team is shaping up.
The organization has turned out a minimal amount of NHL players over the past 15 years (Laich, Marleau, Thompson, undrafted FA Dillon, and fringe NHL'er Hickey), missed the playoffs in three of the past four years in a league in which nearly 75% of the teams make the playoffs, recently had a 15 game losing streak, and is by most accounts, poorly managed.
To insinuate that Barzal's character is lesser simply because he has options and is exploring them is despicable.
He's 15 and this decision will play a huge part in the rest of his life.

Personally, I'm pro-CHL and if I had a child that was drafted by the current Seattle brass, I'd explore all of my options too.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Passchendaele

Yep. The feeling I get is, Barzal isn't particularly attracted to the NCAA, it's moreso that he is very reluctant to play with the Thunderbirds. Had he been drafted by the Giants, we would have seen him in the WHL already.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

Can't really blame parents of a 15-year-old kid for exploring all their options... Sorry not every single family wants to just give their kid up at 15 to people they don't even know when their entire future is at stake...

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Less than a month away untill the 2013 WHL Draft. Barzal has told Seattle he is going to make up his mind for what his decision will be sometime before the draft happens. I cannot wait to see what he decides. This decision will make or break Seattle for years!!!

Old
04-05-2013, 10:18 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Less than a month away untill the 2013 WHL Draft. Barzal has told Seattle he is going to make up his mind for what his decision will be sometime before the draft happens. I cannot wait to see what he decides. This decision will make or break Seattle for years!!!
relax a bit he is a good prospect but only a prospect he has lots to prove before you can lable him a make or break prospect.
JMO

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
MrTell13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You seem to be closely affiliated with the Seattle organization, so I'd suggest taking a look in the mirror and realizing there's a reason why Barzal and his family are doing their due diligence.
It's not just about who else reports and how the team is shaping up.
The organization has turned out a minimal amount of NHL players over the past 15 years (Laich, Marleau, Thompson, undrafted FA Dillon, and fringe NHL'er Hickey), missed the playoffs in three of the past four years in a league in which nearly 75% of the teams make the playoffs, recently had a 15 game losing streak, and is by most accounts, poorly managed.
To insinuate that Barzal's character is lesser simply because he has options and is exploring them is despicable.
He's 15 and this decision will play a huge part in the rest of his life.

Personally, I'm pro-CHL and if I had a child that was drafted by the current Seattle brass, I'd explore all of my options too.
Wow, that is rough....
I have a bunch of issues with your assesment of the Seattle WHL franchise:

-minimal amount of NHL players produced by Seattle over the last 15 years
Well Considering that about 10% of CHL players actually make it to the higher pro level (AHL-NHL) and that you forgot Jim O'Brien (Ottawa), Hickey is playing top 4 D-men minutes with Isl, Dillon is also a top 4 guy in Dallas, Calvin Pickard is just waiting for an opening in Colorado, (i am not going to start with the other guys that are in the AHL)I think the production of quality pro level players is on par with the rest of the league for the last 3-4 years. (can't say that I disagree with the 15-5years ago range but I don't know the players from that time as much)

-missing play-offs 3 years in a row:
yeah, that never happened to anybody ever
(but hey they did manage to make the most competitive play-off series in this year so far...)

-poorly managed:
That is an opinion that is shared by many tbirds fans, that I disagree with.
I will also always say that if anyone else than Russ Farwell owned a majority of the team, he probably would not be the GM, even if it was for the sake of changing things up. That said, the major issue that plague the franchise seemed to be the bad venue and poor bantam drafting. They seemed to have corrected them both. They do manage to rank pretty high in the number of players on the latest NHL scouting ranking this year, showing that they are able to find and develop talent.Farwell is very good at making trades for the benefits of his team. (Doty for Riley Sheen and Noebels lease to Portland for 2 first rnd draft picks + Seth Swenson)

Now lets talk like adults here, we all know what the goal of theses high ranked prospect is: Win at every level, as much as they can.
Its the same thing as Seth Jones, who went from almost commit to UND (althought he loved the Everett org) to jump into an "unknown" Portland organisation that was set to play in the WHL champ again this year.
If Barzal (and family) believe he can be traded to a winning franchise to help his draft propect in the NHL, he will most likely hold out. Farwell is probably dead set on keeping him, so we will see.

Now does that attitude speak of his character? I do believe so to an extend.
I think Seth Jones would have shown better character if he went to Everett on a average team with the goal of making them better.
The flip side of that is that as of now Seth Jones is going to be most likely going to be drafted to an NHL team that will be bad for a while (Tampa Bay, Florida or Colorado)

MrTell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Barzal WILL sign before WHL draft (May 2nd)... he said he would make up his mind before the draft so then Seattle can make other plans if need be at the draft. But I'd bet my left n#* that if he holds true to his word that he will let T-birds know his decision, it will be to sign a contract.

Once this happens, Ryan Gropp(2011 1st rounder 6th overall) will sign shortly after. He isnt stupid and knows he will hit the jackpot playing with Barzal and being both eligable for 2015 NHL draft(Gropp has late B-Day).

Yes I am not only a fan of WHL hockey, but also apparently a psychic hahah... wait and see!!

Time to get excited T-Bird fans and WHL fans!!!!!

MARK MY WORDS

Last edited by Skinnyjimmy08: 04-29-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 09:06 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

I heard he is going to play for the vernon vipers of the BCHL this year.. just a rumor but i heard it is because they are hosting the Royal Bank Cup this year.

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

you will see BARZAL 97

on the back of Seattle Thunderbirds jersey by the latest Wed night(draft is Thursday)

I am sticking to my prediction haha

Old
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Who does Seattle has that's highly touted and hasn't reported.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Who does Seattle has that's highly touted and hasn't reported.
Barzal(2012 1st overall) and Ryan Gropp(2011 6th overall)... both are unsigned. As I stated before, Barzal will sign by tommorrow is my guess so itll give T-Bird management a tiny bit of time before Thursdays WHL draft(said he would decide his plans before draft). And after that happens Ryan Gropp will sign a little later in the offseason is my guess. Get Barzal signed and others will come!!!

Old
05-01-2013, 01:16 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

excited to see him play, wherever that may be.. havent seen enough of him only stories

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:59 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Hope he signs in Seattle. Barzal + Theodore on the PP

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

News1130 Sports‏@News1130Sports1h
Agent J.P Barry confirms Burnaby's Mathew Barzal is set to commit to the #Seattle Thunderbirds. Announcement in next 24 hours.

Get excited T-Bird FANS!!!!!!

Old
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 3140
Bump; Barzal just signed with Seattle. It was announced at the WHL awards.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Ryan Gropp is still unsigned.... I imagine Barzal will be recruiting him like crazy!!!

Old
05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

right on, good for him. I think he made the right choice! Cant help but think this will get the others signed in no time

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Colin Black
Cut back, Smokey!

Excellent for T-Birds fans. The Thunderbirds should be an excellent team going forward; anything less would be a real disappointment considering how much talent and potential the team has.

Colin Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:24 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Good for the Thunderbirds.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote