HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The Return of Carlo Colaiacovo

View Poll Results: If you could bring back Colaiacovo for one season, would you?
Yes, if the price was right and he would agree, I would bring back Colaiacovo. 16 27.12%
No, price and term don't matter, it is time to move on from Colaiacovo. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Colaiacovo is poised to get paid more than Blues fans will think he's worth. He was part of a record-setting defense, has offensive skills, and still in his physical prime as far as his age as a player. He's also getting to be about the best defender remaining in UFA. I think he'll catch on with someone who is glad to get him, but will pay too much. I also think if you take him off the top pairing he'll be a lot less prone to mistakes.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Colaiacovo is poised to get paid more than Blues fans will think he's worth. He was part of a record-setting defense, has offensive skills, and still in his physical prime as far as his age as a player. He's also getting to be about the best defender remaining in UFA. I think he'll catch on with someone who is glad to get him, but will pay too much. I also think if you take him off the top pairing he'll be a lot less prone to mistakes.
If someone wanted to overpay Carlo they would have done it by now.

I think he signs a lowball contract with the Blues and starts the season as the seventh d-man.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:22 AM
stlweir

I'm surprised that that someone hasn't signed him. Would you want him back for a one year $1.8MM contract?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I'm surprised that that someone hasn't signed him. Would you want him back for a one year $1.8MM contract?
No. Too much for a guy to sit in the press box.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
execwrite

Quote:
If nothing else happens, I'd do that. He will get playing time with injuries to others.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Ranger482

If no other moves are going to be made, yes, I want him back. He's not as bad as everyone is making him out to be. He makes some boneheaded plays here and there and gets injured, but when he's healthy he's still valuable as a puck mover and can QB a power play if he has too. He's not that bad.

Ranger482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
No. Too much for a guy to sit in the press box.
Might have to pay someone too much to sit in the pressbox regardless, we are still under the cap floor.

Rozsival is one of the few names left on the market that intrigues me.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I assume he has had some one year offers, but probably hoping for more term.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:04 PM
execwrite

I hesitate to post this - because it's from He Whose Rumors Rarely Come True - but it says Carlo is getting some calls.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Detroit he says?

Could be one step closer to the legendary Cola/Bouwmeester pairing in Detroit

Old
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
@lkorac10 Just spoke with Carlo Colaiacovo, who said he's had interest "from a handful of teams. ... But St. Louis is my first choice." #stlblues
Quote:
@lkorac10 Colaiacovo: "I'm not in a hurry to do anything right now. I'm waiting for the right time to commit," here or elsewhere. #stlblues
Dooood, Carlo, take the hint bro.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Dooood, Carlo, take the hint bro.
It's not his fault, obviously the boards did a number on him and he can't think straight anymore.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

He'll be back...just wait.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
stlweir

The Poll question was for the right price. Cola has found he is not in demand because of his concussion problems. He is like a fighter with a glass jaw. Over the last three seasons he has averaged missing roughly 17 games a season due to injury. He would provide experience, some offense, can play 2nd team point PP and can kill penalties when needed. Would he be better than the 7th best D Man in the organization? Unless there is a better option I would like to see him back on a one year deal for the right price.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Quote:
The Poll question was for the right price. Cola has found he is not in demand because of his concussion problems. He is like a fighter with a glass jaw. Over the last three seasons he has averaged missing roughly 17 games a season due to injury. He would provide experience, some offense, can play 2nd team point PP and can kill penalties when needed. Would he be better than the 7th best D Man in the organization? Unless there is a better option I would like to see him back on a one year deal for the right price.
Define right price.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
SteenMachine

There was just too many games where he was the weak link in the defensive system that everyone else was thriving with. I don't want to see him end up in the same position to disappoint when Russel and Cole can be just as good or bad in his old roles. At least with the 2 younger guys they have room to improve, with Cola its more of a ticking time bomb for injuries and sitting out halfway through a game.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Whether its Colaiacovo or someone else, I'd feel more comfortable with the Blues having one more depth NHL defenseman (assuming they can't get a top pairing guy right now).

Old
08-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Couple of issues with the mindset of "right price"

First of all, if the team is bringing back Colo as a 7th defenseman how willing is he going to be to accept said role? It is one thing when you are signed on to a new team expecting said, role, quite another when you are a defenseman who is not even 30 years of age signed to the same team where you previously played on the top line. Tends to create strife and all that.
So, would a cheap contract be worth the possibility of some friction in the locker room?

Secondly, which Carlo would the Blues see? The one from the first half of last year or the one from the second half. First half Carlo is quite passable and could be used to cycle through the defensemen and give Jackman, etc. a rest during the season.
However, second half Carlo is not really worth signing. When you are outplayed by Ken Huskins perhaps re-signing with that team is not in the cards for you.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Couple of issues with the mindset of "right price"

First of all, if the team is bringing back Colo as a 7th defenseman how willing is he going to be to accept said role? It is one thing when you are signed on to a new team expecting said, role, quite another when you are a defenseman who is not even 30 years of age signed to the same team where you previously played on the top line. Tends to create strife and all that.
So, would a cheap contract be worth the possibility of some friction in the locker room?

Secondly, which Carlo would the Blues see? The one from the first half of last year or the one from the second half. First half Carlo is quite passable and could be used to cycle through the defensemen and give Jackman, etc. a rest during the season.
However, second half Carlo is not really worth signing. When you are outplayed by Ken Huskins perhaps re-signing with that team is not in the cards for you.
You never tell a player you're bringing them in for a 7th spot. You bring in your guys and then let them fight for a starting spot in training camp. Whose to say he doesn't come in motivated and healthy and play at a much higher level then seen before?

You negotiate a salary, though, and that's where Cola would get the message he's not viewed as a top 4 guy in STL.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Robb_K

IF no other defenceman will be signed by September, I hope they sign him for $1.8 million. They can still trade make a trade for an impact D-man during the season, so they'll be fortified for the playoffs.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
stlweir

Correct me if I'm wrong. Huskins looked good early, got injured and didn't play much the rest of the season including the playoffs. Right price is what ever Blues Mgt/ownership thinks he is worth.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You never tell a player you're bringing them in for a 7th spot. You bring in your guys and then let them fight for a starting spot in training camp. Whose to say he doesn't come in motivated and healthy and play at a much higher level then seen before?

You negotiate a salary, though, and that's where Cola would get the message he's not viewed as a top 4 guy in STL.
Obviously you never tell a player straight off they are not going to be a regular, but as you note the player becomes aware of it relatively quickly during the contract negotiation process.
My point is if the Blues have decided to roll with, say, Piets-Polak on the top pairing (Pietro playing on the left side obviously) I would think Colo is going to know almost immediately that he is going to be fighting for scraps with Russell, a player brought in especially for Hitchcock. Going from top pairing to 7th, no matter if the player comes in with a lousy camp or a great one, I would think is going to gnaw at a player. Perhaps I am wrong and Colo would be a great teammate and would play the 7th role with grace.

Just not sure I want to bet on that outcome.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Obviously you never tell a player straight off they are not going to be a regular, but as you note the player becomes aware of it relatively quickly during the contract negotiation process.
My point is if the Blues have decided to roll with, say, Piets-Polak on the top pairing (Pietro playing on the left side obviously) I would think Colo is going to know almost immediately that he is going to be fighting for scraps with Russell, a player brought in especially for Hitchcock. Going from top pairing to 7th, no matter if the player comes in with a lousy camp or a great one, I would think is going to gnaw at a player. Perhaps I am wrong and Colo would be a great teammate and would play the 7th role with grace.

Just not sure I want to bet on that outcome.
First of all, can anyone remember any recent year in which NO Blues defenceman was hurt for more than a couple of games? I'll bet NOT.

Let's assume that NO defenceman is hurt or sick and out for more than 10 games. Let's also assume 4 of the top 6 are out for 4 games each. That's 16 games for the 7th man. Let's also assume that Jackman has to be rested for 4 games, and 4 more games are lost by D-men needing to take a day off for personal reasons. Now, the 7th man has 24 games. Let's also assume that Cole needs to sit out here and there, for discipline reasons, or to watch, and he plays 65 games (rather than the full 82). Now, the 7th man has 41 games. And let's also assume that 4 of the top 5(all but Pietrangelo) will be rested one game nearing the playoffs. That's already 45 games for the 7th man.

And we know darn well that The Blues' defence will lose more games to injury than I assumed above. The 7th man WILL play a decent amount of games, and not feel that he should have been with another team. I'd certainly rather have that 50-55 games played mostly by Colaiacovo, rather than by Woywitka/Chorney.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
STL fan in IA

I think Cola is going to eventually get paid handsomely. It's basic supply and demand. He's pretty much the best option left on the market and there are still many teams looking for d-men, notably Philly and Det. I don't think there's a chance in hell he signs to be a team's 7th d-man. With Detroit missing out on the big names and Philly missing out on Weber and then Mezseros' injury, Cola has a lot of leverage right now. He certainly worth more now than he was on 7/1.

As for the Blues, I don't see Cola as a fit but I think some here view him so negatively that they don't realize what he's worth league-wide.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:52 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I think Cola is going to eventually get paid handsomely. It's basic supply and demand. He's pretty much the best option left on the market and there are still many teams looking for d-men, notably Philly and Det. I don't think there's a chance in hell he signs to be a team's 7th d-man. With Detroit missing out on the big names and Philly missing out on Weber and then Mezseros' injury, Cola has a lot of leverage right now. He certainly worth more now than he was on 7/1.

As for the Blues, I don't see Cola as a fit but I think some here view him so negatively that they don't realize what he's worth league-wide.
I'm fine with the Blues re-signing him for a year (maybe two) as long as the salary is under $2M. I think he'd be a piece in a trade for a defensive player, so you want it to be a contract that's easy to move. I don't want to see them make any kind of commitment to Colaiacovo that would make it more difficult to bring in a top pairing guy.

I agree that he'll get something from a team that has a bigger need than the Blues and is hoping for the upside version of Cola.