HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
http://www.sprintcenter.com/arena_info

Kansas City has an arena that needs a tenant.....

Old
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
This is the only viable option.
They have a current arena, a future arena, and a rich owner. They have a new arena but no owner and the city isn't interested in getting an NHL team. No arena, no owner. There's an arena, but Les Alexander hasn't shown an interest in years. Yep, they're working on a new arena in Markham right now.

Well, there's still the massive problems with arenas, since they have no temporary arena (Key isn't viable, Daly said so a few months ago) and no future arena that's actually been agreed upon.

QC will be putting shovels in the ground in September and everything is good to go.

Copps would be one of the oldest buildings in the league (Nassau, Rexall, and Saddledome are the only older buildings) and would need millions in renovations (I believe $200m+).

Plus, as explained, Balsillie isn't a viable owner anymore because he creates terrible products and all of his worth was made up of shares of RIMM.
He's also gotten on the bad side of the BoG, so he's unlikely to ever be an owner.

Even if they found someone else, there's the territorial issues to deal with too.
I'm going out on a limb and saying you don't know the full scope of who may or may not be interested in buying the Yotes in other cities. Knowing the situation with the arenas is obviously a more concrete thing that can be verified. But who might be interested in buying a NHL team and moving them to their home city is something that can't really be known until that option presents itself.

I mention this in part because you dismissed Houston because one person (Les Alexander) in particular isn't interested. As if Houston, one of the wealthiest cities in the US, has its chances hinging on one man. Most around here 10 years ago thought the only guys that could buy the Sabres or Bills were Bob Rich or Jacobs. The last two Sabres owners pretty much came out of no where. Its hard to know what level of interest there may be in any city until the league starts shopping the team and is committed to move it. We aren't exactly privy to the folks with that kind of money and their interest in NHL hockey.

Its seems like you really want the Yotes in Quebec City and argued against each city to bolster that pov.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-31-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old
07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Yes, but they have no owner and the city isn't willing to subsidize anything.

There's been no news about it recently, even from insiders, so I think it's safe to say they aren't really in the running for a team right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm going out on a limb and saying you don't know the full scope of who may or may not be interested in buying the Yotes in other cities. Knowing the situation with the arenas is obviously a more concrete thing that can be verified. But who might be interested in buying a NHL team and moving them to their home city is something that can't really be known until that option presents itself.

I mention this in part because you dismissed Houston because one person (Les Alexander) in particular isn't interested. As if Houston, one of the wealthiest cities in the US, has its chances hinging on one man. Most around here 10 years ago thought the only guys that could buy the Sabres or Bills were Bob Rich or Jacobs. The last two Sabres owners pretty much came out of no where. Its hard to know what level of interest there may be in any city until the league starts shopping the team and is committed to move it. We aren't exactly privy to the folks with that kind of money and their interest in NHL hockey.
Well, when you consider the fact that Alexander has exclusivity when it comes to an NHL team in the Toyota Center, then combine it with the fact that he's been decreasing in worth and hasn't shown really shown any interest in years, it's pretty safe to call Houston dead.

That is, until Alexander is no longer involved or they build a new arena capable of hosting hockey.

Quote:
Its seems like you really want the Yotes in Quebec City and argued against each city to bolster that pov.
I want a team in QC, but that doesn't change the fact that there aren't many other options.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, when you consider the fact that Alexander has exclusivity when it comes to an NHL team in the Toyota Center, then combine it with the fact that he's been decreasing in worth and hasn't shown really shown any interest in years, it's pretty safe to call Houston dead.

That is, until Alexander is no longer involved or they build a new arena capable of hosting hockey.
Anything can be negotiated, like partner being brought in, Alexander giving up his exclusive rights, etc. I stand by earlier statement that you really don't know the full extent of interest in other cities or potential owners.

Btw I don't care one way or another if a team ends up in Houston.

Quote:
I want a team in QC, but that doesn't change the fact that there aren't many other options.
As I already posted, I don't have a dog in this fight and just want the team somewhere stable. If they do go to QC lets hope the Canadian dollar stays strong.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Downtown KC is awesome. They built the Sprint Center in the Power and Light District, which sounds kind of lame, but it's fantastic. The P&LD is a refurbishment of the old downtown, centered on the Sprint Center, and a nightlife entertainment center, which is commonly called the P&LD.

The P&LD is a horseshoe shaped building, with another building kind of "capping" the open end of the horseshoe. It's 2-3 levels of restaurants, bars of all types. There are rock clubs, country bars, sports bars, Irish pubs, dance clubs, etc. The middle is an open area where bands can play. The whole thing has a roof, so it's open in bad weather.

Outside of the P&LD, you've got about 4-5 blocks of regular buildings, mostly renovated, with all kinds of shopping and restaurants.

If Buffalo wanted to renovate the downtown area, they should send folks to see downtown KC. I was there in 2003 when it was a dump, with most of the same issues Buffalo has. Now, it's amazing.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:16 PM
michaelsaas

Having recently moved near Houston from Phx, I personally would love the yotes moving here. Houston is the 4th largest city in the county, although Phx is the 5th largest and look how that turned out.
I will say based on my exposure out here, hockey fans like me probably represent about .25 percent of the local population.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-run-the-team/

Now there are questions whether Jamison has the operating capital needed to run the Yotes even if he drums up the money to purchase the club.......

Old
08-03-2012, 09:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-of-schedule/

Quote:
As reported by the Vancouver Province, Canucks GM Mike Gillis went on TEAM 1040 and claimed that Ryan Kesler was “slightly ahead” of schedule after undergoing shoulder surgery in May.

If you heard that and took it as a sign that Kesler might still be ready for the start of the season, you should hear what his agent, Kurt Overhardt had to say.

“It’s not happening,” Overhardt said. “He’s not ahead of schedule and there’s no rushing him back. He’s on course to return in December and he’s not returning until he’s 100 per cent. Don’t expect him until December.”

According to Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, Kesler also underwent minor wrist surgery.

“He had been experiencing some mild discomfort and had some tendon issues that needed to be cleaned up,” Gilman said.
It will be interesting to see how effective Kesler is again this year.

Maybe the Sabres can buy low on him next summer.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-of-schedule/

It will be interesting to see how effective Kesler is again this year.

Maybe the Sabres can buy low on him next summer.

Gillis is such a knucklehead.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:03 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Gillis is such a knucklehead.
Somebody needs to just duct tape his moth shut.....

Old
08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

*huddled in a corner*

Please don't rush Kesler back, please don't rush Kesler back...

Old
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Somebody needs to just duct tape his moth shut.....
I suspect there would be no shortage of volunteers among the Canuck faithful.

08-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I suspect there would be no shortage of volunteers among the Canuck faithful.
Hopefully not to many. 2 of my favorite players came from the Canucks. Gonna wait on a Hodgson jersey in case one of the G's makes him expendable in a couple seasons, but Erhroff... Never can have too many defenseman jerseys.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:52 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
So Glendale will lose money with or without the Coyotes. But has anyone run the numbers on how much they will lose without a team there?

Old
08-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Referencing the current thread title:

I couldn't handle another lockout. The last one came during my senior year of high school, and it really put a damper on things.

I believe I heard that they may play under the current CBA as long as "good faith" negotiations continue - without going into too much detail that would be better suited for the CBA thread, I wonder when that negotiations turn from "good faith" to "bad faith" . . . hope it never does. Having to rely on NHL 13 for a hockey fix would suck.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:53 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
So Glendale will lose money with or without the Coyotes. But has anyone run the numbers on how much they will lose without a team there?
This is the best part of it all.
Tax revenue generated by Westgate (the publicly funded strip mall where the publicly funded arena is located, aka the only reason this is still going on): $4m/yr
Portion of that revenue ($4m) generated by the Coyotes: $600k/yr
Total amount being paid to an owner that has no money (AFAIK, people aren't supposed to pay you when you purchase something from them): $324m over 20 years
Net revenue generated by keeping the team over the life of the deal: -$159m

So, the team is useless and doesn't generate much of anything for the city.
That small revenue stream is just too valuable though.
City officials are actually just saving face until it's no longer their problem since they're the ones that have thrown millions into this trash fire already.
Even though it will cost millions and millions, it won't be their problem for too long as most of the people involved in the initial arena deal have jumped ship.
And if you're wondering how they got it to pass if it's so bad, that's an even better story.
They hired an accountant to get creative and make up some unrealistic projections for the amount of revenue that would be generated.
Said accountant is actually a fraudster that has done the same exact thing before.

It's just a complete waste of time.
Even if you ignore the fact that the team posts massive losses and profitability is a near impossibility (not just now, but for the life of the proposed deal, even in the best case scenario), they're still a joke.
People have had numerous opportunities to buy the team over the past three years (out of bankruptcy for $60m, even) and every legitimate candidate has passed.
The only ones interested are league shills that are looking to get paid for purchasing an asset.
Ice Edge had no money and couldn't even afford to purchase an ECHL team, Hulsizer was stopped after the city couldn't secure bonds because it has terrible credit, then attempted to purchase the Blues but dropped out when he realized he actually had no money, and Jamison doesn't have significant money and should stick to his useless investments (such as his great junior team in the WSHL, a pay-for-play league that is not sanctioned by USA Hockey and is just a cash grab to rob families of money and get their children absolutely nowhere).
It's not a distressed asset that can recover, it's a worthless asset and the last three years have proven that.

Basically, if they stay there, they won't even be a legitimate franchise.
They'd just be a tenant in a strip mall arena that generates minimal revenues which were only kept there to make elected officials not look completely awful.
Jamison has already proven that he really doesn't have the money to own a team and the franchise does nothing but bleed money, so they'd basically be a cap floor team forever.
Sounds like an asset to the league, doesn't it?

Last edited by jfb392: 08-06-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Edit: got the AMF wrong
Old
08-06-2012, 05:41 AM
HiddenInLight

That really makes me feel like if anybody buys PHX they will be out of there faster then you can say Coyotes.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
That really makes me feel like if anybody buys PHX they will be out of there faster then you can say Coyotes.
The funny thing is that that's basically the plan.
The "arena management fee" (aka the money the city is paying Jamison to make the team more desirable and because he doesn't have the money) is front-loaded and there's nothing stopping him from relocating the team.
He can bail on the team after he gets his money.

It's all just an effort to trick fans and other potential cities into thinking that the real bad guy is anyone besides the city or the NHL.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
ohheyimmark

Meszaros tore his Ahilles and had surgery this morning. That blue line is a mess.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyimmark View Post
Meszaros tore his Ahilles and had surgery this morning. That blue line is a mess.
It's certainly not what it used to be, but the idea circulating the message boards, Twitter, and talk radio that they're now going to trade one of their valued forwards (Briere, Simmonds, et al.) for a defenseman is just silly. I think they'll snag someone like Rozsival or Colaiacovo off the UFA pile, and put together a patchwork defense until Meszaros returns.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's certainly not what it used to be, but the idea circulating the message boards, Twitter, and talk radio that they're now going to trade one of their valued forwards (Briere, Simmonds, et al.) for a defenseman is just silly. I think they'll snag someone like Rozsival or Colaiacovo off the UFA pile, and put together a patchwork defense until Meszaros returns.
Rozsival isn't a half-bad option as a mid-pairing RD vet.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Rozsival isn't a half-bad option as a mid-pairing RD vet.
Yeah, agreed. Philly has the resources to figure it out. Luke Schenn finally playing like a consistent, top-4 defenseman could go a long way to curing some of their ills.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yeah, agreed. Philly has the resources to figure it out. Luke Schenn finally playing like a consistent, top-4 defenseman could go a long way to curing some of their ills.
That'd help them too. They're not great, but they don't have a dire need to make a panic move. MA Bourdon is a fireplug and still pretty young. Schenn has the potential to be better than he was for the Leafs recently. Gustafsson can fill the puckmoving element. Timonen, Coburn and Grossman are all capable NHL defensemen. If they can get anything out of journeymen like Gervais or Lilja, they're fairly set. One more guy, to push Gervais/Lilja down makes sense and either of Rosie or Carlo the Oft-Broken could fit that need.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
joshjull

Quote:
That'd help them too. They're not great, but they don't have a dire need to make a panic move. MA Bourdon is a fireplug and still pretty young. Schenn has the potential to be better than he was for the Leafs recently. Gustafsson can fill the puckmoving element. Timonen, Coburn and Grossman are all capable NHL defensemen. If they can get anything out of journeymen like Gervais or Lilja, they're fairly set. One more guy, to push Gervais/Lilja down makes sense and either of Rosie or Carlo the Oft-Broken could fit that need.
I can't imagine a Flyers team taking the patient path. Its the anti-thesis of how they've operated for years. They generally move aggressively to fix problems.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Zip15

Quote:
I can't imagine a Flyers team taking the patient path. Its the anti-thesis of how they've operated for years. They generally move aggressively to fix problems.
Holmgren is aggressive, but the idea circulating now that they're going to trade someone like Simmonds or Briere to address their defense is kinda silly. Especially with decent second-pairing guys like Colaiacovo and Rozsival still available in UFA.

Closed Thread