HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Robert
BOB

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
So Burke got fired now...really odd timing.

Speculation is either:
a) Burke wanted Luongo and ownership did not
b) Burke did not want Luongo (or at least not at the asking price), ownership wanted him badly
c) Burke lost out to another team on Luongo

This is crazy.
Nah, he didn't sign enough guys from Ontario.....

Old
01-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Actually Mackenzie said at face value it makes no sense to fire a GM at this time. He was floored/shocked by this move. He said few things in the business can shock him but this move did.

Keep in mind the reaction was based on the timing and he didn't comment on the merits
I don't get what is so hard to understand about the timing?

The new MLSE guys are in charge since august and what could a new GM have done during the lockout? not much

So they took their time and pulled the trigger now before operative business starts again.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post

The new MLSE guys are in charge since august and what could a new GM have done during the lockout? not much

So they took their time and pulled the trigger now before operative business starts again.
They could have just fired him in August back when it made more sense to

Old
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post

There is little doubt that the front office was working on hockey operations over the course of the last four months. Maybe it was limited, but they were working.

If they knew they wanted him gone after new ownership took over and did a review, whether in August or November, they should have done so earlier to allow the dust to settle and Nonis to settle in, maybe with new folks under him if he desired. He looked a bit shocked and overwhelmed yesterday.

Speculation is that this is at least partially based upon Burke and his lack of willingness to meet the demands of Vancouver for Luongo. If this is a new development, then it is the reason for the strange timing.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
There is little doubt that the front office was working on hockey operations over the course of the last four months. Maybe it was limited, but they were working.

If they knew they wanted him gone after new ownership took over and did a review, whether in August or November, they should have done so earlier to allow the dust to settle and Nonis to settle in, maybe with new folks under him if he desired. He looked a bit shocked and overwhelmed yesterday.
He would have looked shocked in November too. And he was Burke's right hand so he won't need much time. He could do his job without media focus, if they fire Burke in November it would have been the main topic till now. And 4 months are not that much time to decide something like this. The part about Luong is speculation like you said, I don't buy it.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:56 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles booked flight for Visnovsky today. He wasn't on it. Appears this will be settled between NHL and KHL now.

Sucks for the isles.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
If I remember right Montador was well liked by fans in Buffalo

Well he suffered another concussion during practice with his teammates today

3rd concussion since he signed with Hawks

Old
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Ooooooof. I feel badly for the guy. Always played with heart here....maybe not always with his head, but still.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Briere out 2-3 weeks with a wrist injury. That would obviously exclude him from playing in our opener. Can't say I feel bad about that since I have an outstanding bet going back to this summer that the Sabres would win their first game this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

That's too bad. I thought he'd have been a good fit on your bottom pairing but these concussions have certainly prevented that from turning out as it could've.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Per McKenzie: MDZ agrees to terms with NYR... and PHI acquires Brian Boucher and Mark Alt from CAR in exchange for Luke Pither.
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Michael Del Zotto has agreed to tentative terms with NYR and is expected in camp today tho aspects of contract are still being worked on.

Link: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...68816834686976
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
CAR trades goalie Brian Boucher and prospect Mark Alt to PHI for minor leaguer Luke Pither.

Link: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...71833554284546

Old
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Per McKenzie: MDZ agrees to terms with NYR... and PHI acquires Brian Boucher and Mark Alt from CAR in exchange for Luke Pither.
Interested to see what kind of season MDZ has. He really rebounded from a poor sophomore season and took major steps defensively to boot. What he can generate from the backend makes all the difference for that team. Throw in a more potent offense due to Nash + Kreider and that squad's looking mighty good.

Edit:

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Looks like Scott Gomez is getting Wade Redden Treatment in MTL. Stay home, get paid, count against cap and compliance buyout in summer.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 01-13-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
joshjull

I wonder how many other players will be told to stay home so teams can buy them out this summer.

I've felt kind of bad for Redden over the last two years. His contract pretty much trapped him in the AHL. Maybe he can play in the NHL again.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
joshjull

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413349

Quote:
According to the Montreal Gazette, forward Erik Cole told the media on Friday that his unhappiness with the new CBA and his family situation will force him to review whether or not he wants to keep playing after this season.

Cole, who is in the second year of a four-year, $18 million deal with the Habs, first brought up the possibility of retirement in October.

"I want to have a conversation with the (Players' Association) about some of the escrow stuff and some of the fearsome things in the new CBA," Cole told the Gazette. "Family-wise it's a transition year with my daughter in school next year and I think it's something to be considered and everybody should consider this when they look at the new CBA, not just the way it affects the group but how it affects you individually."

Cole may retire after this season due to the "fearsome" things in the CBA.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
@aaronward_nhl: Westgarth to #Carolina, LA receives Stewart to #Kings along with a 4th and a 6th round pick. #TSN
Also from McKenzie: "Del Zotto's deal is two years with AAV of $2.55M." Not bad.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413349

Cole may retire after this season due to the "fearsome" things in the CBA.
The players' histrionics are hilarious. I guess they'll probably have a secret caucus and oust Fehr, while trampling over Ference to bring back Kelley.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I have a question. Dolan the Rangers owner owns rights to pretty much NYR, NJ, NYI, and the Sabres broadcasting stuff. Howcome Pegula doesn't break off of that somehow, and I don't know... Like... get a Buffalo based broadcasting for thw Sabres, Amerks and other stuff? Am I thinking too stupidly or what? I thought that'd have been a sure thing when Pegula came in.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I have a question. Dolan the Rangers owner owns rights to pretty much NYR, NJ, NYI, and the Sabres broadcasting stuff. Howcome Pegula doesn't break off of that somehow, and I don't know... Like... get a Buffalo based broadcasting for thw Sabres, Amerks and other stuff? Am I thinking too stupidly or what? I thought that'd have been a sure thing when Pegula came in.
For one, I think the MSG contract had several years left on it when Pegula bought the team. The speculation we've had here is that he would likely wait for that to expire before ever entertaining the idea of making his own station.

As you probably aren't aware, former Sabres ownership (Not the last one, but the one before that -- the Rigas family [majority owners of Adelphia cable]) owned Empire Sports as well as a radio station. Empire Sports was our version of MSG (at the time lots of generic crappy sports programming was aired on both stations at the same time), but was sold off during the legal problems the Rigas family found themselves in. Golisano then bought the Sabres and struck the deal with MSG.

It's hard to say how economically viable a TV station would be at this time, though it may be worth taking a loss on to increase the Sabres brand. Depending on the deal that has Amerks games on Time Warner Sports, they could show Amerks games as well (on nights there are no Sabres games or on tape delay). The problem is there's just not that much more beyond that, other than adding a Bills show of some sort. Perhaps Bandits games as I'm not sure if anything shows those these days (perhaps Time Warner Sports?).

In the summer there's just nothing to put on and that seems to be the major problem to me. In NYC, airing classic Knicks/Rangers/etc games and all that like-minded programming they have finds enough viewship due to the sheer amount of viewers in the market, but in Buffalo there are obviously a lot less people and thus less economic incentive to produce all of this sports-fluff programming that will not find much of a market. I'm really not sure what made Empire Sports economically viable in the first place, if it even was, but I imagine those long summers operated on a huge loss.

I hope something is figured out as I'd love to see more Sabres/local sports programming available. I also hate that MSG will not show Rangers games for me like it used to, even if there's no Sabres games on to supersede them. I used to really like following the Rangers as a second team, either watching when there were no Sabres/Knicks games on or catching the replay later.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The idea of a Buffalo regional sports network comes up every so often. We used to have Empire Sports back in the day, but then Adelphia went belly-up.

The general consensus tends to be there aren't enough sports programming in the region to make it a profitable venture. Most regional networks have two major sports covered (hockey, basketball, and/or baseball), as well as college sports. But there are many (most?) who would welcome it if Pegula wanted to do it, since we would get a lot more Sabres-centric programming, some Amerks games, etc.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
For one, I think the MSG contract had several years left on it when Pegula bought the team. The speculation we've had here is that he would likely wait for that to expire before ever entertaining the idea of making his own station.

As you probably aren't aware, former Sabres ownership (Not the last one, but the one before that -- the Rigas family [majority owners of Adelphia cable]) owned Empire Sports as well as a radio station. Empire Sports was our version of MSG (at the time lots of generic crappy sports programming was aired on both stations at the same time), but was sold off during the legal problems the Rigas family found themselves in. Golisano then bought the Sabres and struck the deal with MSG.

It's hard to say how economically viable a TV station would be at this time, though it may be worth taking a loss on to increase the Sabres brand. Depending on the deal that has Amerks games on Time Warner Sports, they could show Amerks games as well (on nights there are no Sabres games or on tape delay). The problem is there's just not that much more beyond that, other than adding a Bills show of some sort. Perhaps Bandits games as I'm not sure if anything shows those these days (perhaps Time Warner Sports?).

In the summer there's just nothing to put on and that seems to be the major problem to me. In NYC, airing classic Knicks/Rangers/etc games and all that like-minded programming they have finds enough viewship due to the sheer amount of viewers in the market, but in Buffalo there are obviously a lot less people and thus less economic incentive to produce all of this sports-fluff programming that will not find much of a market. I'm really not sure what made Empire Sports economically viable in the first place, if it even was, but I imagine those long summers operated on a huge loss.

I hope something is figured out as I'd love to see more Sabres/local sports programming available. I also hate that MSG will not show Rangers games for me like it used to, even if there's no Sabres games on to supersede them. I used to really like following the Rangers as a second team, either watching when there were no Sabres/Knicks games on or catching the replay later.
Thank you. Yeah, I didn't know a lot about technicals and such. But it seems to me is that the biggest problem if Pegular somehow does his own thing for Buffalo, there wouldn't be much of anything outside of Sabres and maybe Amerks. I'm confused as to why MSG won't show Rangers or anything when Buffalo isn't on. My friend just told me the same thing, that they used to. MSG+ doesn't even show Isles or Devils stuff I don't think around here.

If anything, I can see it like the YES Network. Mainly it's all about the Yankees, and then little filler stuff like basketball, Euro soccer and such. I guess I'm wishfully thinking. I still hope that something like that is worked out, but with other stuff too, maybe like Sabres shows and everything, not just games. When I lived down in NJ, the Rangers would come out and do these shows every now and then to fill in stuff, then the top 25 saves goals and all that. Maybe the Bisons in the summer, or are they locked in with something?

Old
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Thank you. Yeah, I didn't know a lot about technicals and such. But it seems to me is that the biggest problem if Pegular somehow does his own thing for Buffalo, there wouldn't be much of anything outside of Sabres and maybe Amerks. I'm confused as to why MSG won't show Rangers or anything when Buffalo isn't on. My friend just told me the same thing, that they used to. MSG+ doesn't even show Isles or Devils stuff I don't think around here.

If anything, I can see it like the YES Network. Mainly it's all about the Yankees, and then little filler stuff like basketball, Euro soccer and such. I guess I'm wishfully thinking. I still hope that something like that is worked out, but with other stuff too, maybe like Sabres shows and everything, not just games. When I lived down in NJ, the Rangers would come out and do these shows every now and then to fill in stuff, then the top 25 saves goals and all that. Maybe the Bisons in the summer, or are they locked in with something?
Pretty sure the reason for no Rangers games is because of exclusivity stuff in the contract between the Sabres and MSG.

I would expect if such a channel were made it would show Euro soccer too. I know Empire used to and MSG still does during the day. Regarding the Bisons, I'm not sure. I know I watched some Bisons games on TV last year but I don't recall how -- probably on Time Warner Sports. Even if they were able to land Bisons games, I'm sure it would be a minor draw though it may help. I expect we'll just have to wait until the MSG contract is up for renewal and see what kind of things leak from the Sabres brain trust.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Pretty sure the reason for no Rangers games is because of exclusivity stuff in the contract between the Sabres and MSG.

I would expect if such a channel were made it would show Euro soccer too. I know Empire used to and MSG still does during the day. Regarding the Bisons, I'm not sure. I know I watched some Bisons games on TV last year but I don't recall how -- probably on Time Warner Sports. Even if they were able to land Bisons games, I'm sure it would be a minor draw though it may help. I expect we'll just have to wait until the MSG contract is up for renewal and see what kind of things leak from the Sabres brain trust.
I'm not sure of when it ends but there's still a while to go. All that can be done is kind of watch and wait. Thanks for clarifying for me too

Old
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
joshjull

@jedli: @TSNBobMcKenzie Visnovsky is on his way - not to NHL - but to Prague to play tmrw for Slovan Bratislava in KHL. Yes, he is on the bus.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
@jedli: @TSNBobMcKenzie Visnovsky is on his way - not to NHL - but to Prague to play tmrw for Slovan Bratislava in KHL. Yes, he is on the bus.
Funny that after the 'scare' (totally trumped up imo) of Kovy -- Datsyuk and Ovechkin to a lesser extent -- staying in the KHL, friggin' Visnovsky is the one who will might this to a head.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

It's cause he doesn't want to play for the Islanders, I bet. If he got traded to the Wings or something he might've been drawn more... The same think happened with Nabokov for a while I think.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Not sure where to put this, so I'll drop it here:

$50 for either Center Ice or NHL Game Center.

LOVE the price.

Closed Thread